Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-02 10:53:46, last edited by skullz17 (2015-09-05 20:14:48)

skullz17

The Arena

Well I don't feel like working on this anymore, so I'll just release it. I was drawing some art of all the enemies but art hasn't really been that fun for me lately. So if someone wants to volunteer to draw those for me, that would be cool.

Anyway, this is that switch-binary-rpg-whateveryouwanttocallit project I've been working on for a while. Please read the following guide before you play, or else you won't understand how to play.

Guide

The most important thing to read is the combat section, so you can just read that if you want.

Weapon selection
Mostly self explanatory, but there is the thing in the bottom right, with 3 switch doors/gates and an arrow. If you can touch the arrow, it means the weapon is equipped. Also, a physical weapon will be strong against a magical enemy, and a magical weapon will be strong against a physical enemy.

Stats
Sword = strength. Shield = defense. Lightning = agility. Jump next to one of the signs to see what one of these stats is. Blue coins represent experience. Gold coins represent your level. If you have enough blue coins, you can level up on the left hand side of the stats section. Then you can upgrade a stat. The decorations represent stats, as I've explained above. If all stats are max, you can kill[censor evasion sry diff]yourself with a spike to get out of this area.

Enemy selection
Self explanatory. Sword represents "Fight". You can also check if an enemy is physical or magical, as well as their level.

Combat
Starts off by setting the enemy's variables (health, level, etc), and your health, then you go to attack selection. The top left number is your health, and the top right number is the enemy's health. Go left to attack. The area on the right is not available. If you take too long, you will go into the yellow area and your turn will be skipped.

zY80zMs.png

When you attack you will see a buffer, which is just a red area with swords on either side (swords represent attacking). After the buffer, prepare to go left or right. There will be timed doors and when they open you will be put into a room with enemy. Upward arrows will push you up and you have to try to aim for the figure. Hitting the figure between the legs is a critical hit, and the armpit is a normal hit.

gyxt3re.png

Once you've hit them, you will go through the processes to calculate how hard you hit the enemy (based on stats, enemy stats, weapon level, and whether your weapon type matches the enemy's weakness) and to take away that amount from the enemy's health.

Once that is over, it's the enemy's turn. You will be in a buffer again, but this time it's a red area with shields on either side (shields represent getting attacked). You will see timed doors again, and once those open, you will be in a room going towards a sword. This represents the enemy's weapon hitting you, and again it will be either on the left or the right. Try to dodge it.

NzQZnA1.png

If you get hit, you will go through similar processes to when you hit the enemy, then the turn ends. If you didn't get hit, then you just skip damage calculation and the turn ends. After a turn ends, the health counters get updated, then you go back to the attack selection area. This repeats until someone dies.

It's hard at first, but you get used to it, and once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy (possibly too easy).

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PW-q4l3cysbkI

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#2 2015-09-05 16:01:39, last edited by skullz17 (2015-09-05 16:01:57)

skullz17

Re: The Arena

Update:

1. Changed pretty much all the arrows in the systems to boosts, because someone said the system was too slow. Not sure why I didn't do this in the first place.
2. Added pics to the guide, because people seemed to be confused.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#3 2015-09-06 11:08:35

MIHB_casts_confuseplayer

Very neat.  I think the system speed is whats killing it right now, but thats fixable.  (Although maybe only with a lot of work).  In any case, a very interesting map.

Wooted by:

#4 2015-09-06 14:30:21

skullz17

I think I know how to fix it in some areas. However for some places I would have to move large parts of the system because they need to be expanded but they don't already have space on the side that needs it, which is a pain. I may try to do it at some point, but idk if it's worth the work.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#5 2015-09-06 17:20:01

ILoveBaconYUM

It takes a while to get used to it but once you've got the hang of it it is pretty fun //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by: (2)

#6 2015-09-06 17:20:52

Tamashiimizu

I really liked it. It's very unique.
But, I got stuck in this part:

Hidden text

Also, i think you can put Down boost arrows in this part (the right side) to make it a little faster:

Hidden text

#7 2015-09-06 17:50:17

Raven
Formerly Diana2003

Nice world. Wondering how many time you spent on making this.

#8 2015-09-06 18:36:26

skullz17

Tamashiimizu wrote:

I really liked it. It's very unique.
But, I got stuck in this part:

Hidden text

Also, i think you can put Down boost arrows in this part (the right side) to make it a little faster:

Hidden text

1. Okay, I think I see how you got stuck. Because of boost physics, the block underneath you doesn't take away your downwards momentum, and therefore preventing you from going through the arrow. I changed it to a portal instead. I didn't use a portal before because I wanted to be efficient and not waste them. If you want to get your progress back, I can "hack" the system and cheat it in for you //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
2. I can't make those down boosts because otherwise people could hold left and mess stuff up. The only way to make it faster is to make that lane two blocks wide and fill it with down boosts, except for the places where right-facing boosts are needed. However, that would require me to shift that entire part of the system to the left (this is what I was talking about in my reply to MIHB), because it's right next to the border, which I can't edit.

Diana2003 wrote:

Nice world. Wondering how many time you spent on making this.

Months. I started it in February. I actually finished most of it quite early on - all the hitting/missing stuff, damage calculation, all that important stuff as well as all the stuff outside of combat. Even when I didn't have enough switch doors/gates, I still built the system without it, then filled it in as much as I could whenever I bought +10. I did get kinda lazy and kept saving up some switch doors/gates without working on the level, until I eventually did the hp counters, which was the last thing I did. I spent all this time, until I started getting close to finishing the level, spending energy everyday on switch doors/gates. I ended up finishing it in early August, but I didn't release it because I wanted to draw art of all the characters (larger versions than the little pictures you see in the enemy selection). Then I ended up only drawing 3, and getting Sensei1 to draw the wizard for me.

I actually bought more switch doors/gates than I needed in the end. I bought 700, and I have 117 spare to use in the level. So I actually used 583 switch doors/gates, but that's mostly because the way some parts of the system were different at first. They were much less efficient. But it's also because there were times when I took long breaks from working on the level, but I still spent energy in that time. So I didn't keep track of how much extra I bought and how much I actually needed for the level.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#9 2015-10-03 21:16:11

skullz17

Updated with random portals. Now that the random system has been removed, there's barely any time between when you are warned about hitting/getting hit and when it actually happens. Whereas before there was waiting for timed doors to open.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#10 2015-10-03 21:17:34

!nb4
Formerly AYB

What is this "random Portal"

ZCK0zcQ.gif

#11 2015-10-03 21:26:21

skullz17

If you have multiple portals with the same ID of x, and you have another portal with that has x as its target ID, then it will teleport you to a random portal which has an ID of x. It will be different every time you enter the portal.

However before, although the portal you got teleported to was random, it was not different every time you entered the portal. It stayed the same until you left the world (and came back).

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

skullz171443903981546366

Board footer