Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-05 11:57:23

Bad

The Sonic experiment + Sonic Chaos

Hey everyone,

Continuing the remastering of my old levels. This time, you get two worlds at once!

Being from the 1980s, I grew up with a Sega Master System, and Sonic Chaos was the first video game I was introduced to ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chaos ). It's not the best, longest, or most fun game around, but it has a special place in my heart for being the very first game I remember playing.

Thus, when I decided to try and reproduce a video game in Everybody Edits, it felt natural to use Sonic Chaos as a reference.

I first started with a smaller level I called The Sonic Experiment.

It was a simple attempt at reproducing acts 1-1, 2-1, and 6-1 of Sonic Chaos. I made it a basic coin collection quest, which might not have been a good choice in retrospect.

Click the image below to play the level :

EOh4qaT.png

Following this experiment, I felt like I had locked down the idea of how to reproduce Sonic Chaos in an EE world.

The key challenges were:
- Getting the looks right (that part, I got right, put a ton of effort into it)
- Getting enough room for all 6 levels / 18 acts (that required a lot of planning, but I did manage to get every single element of the original game in there other than the emerald challenges)
- Giving it the speed feeling of Sonic (I am not fully satisfied with that, could have done a better job)
- Making it easy yet fun to play (I honestly think I failed that part, coin collection is not exactly super fun, and there is too much backtracking involved)

Once I was done, I was only 50% satisfied with the final product. It looked great, but wasn't fun enough to play. I didn't feel like working on it some more though, as it had taken weeks of effort, so I left it as is.

Click the image below to play the level :

0TSmF8U.png

Here are a few screenshots from the second one if you want to see what it looks like without playing it all:

9DOj3ig.png

I learned a lot making these worlds, and I still want to make a better Sonic world in Everybody Edits some day. Maybe.

Have fun !

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2015-08-07 10:47:47

Marios

Re: The Sonic experiment + Sonic Chaos

The Sonic Experiment was, okay, i guess. I had some difficulty on the last level until i figured out how simple it is to resist upward boosts.

I tried the first level (and a bit of the second) of Sonic Chaos and it does have part of the feel of a Sonic game (although boosts didn't allow for fully functional non-square-like spins). I guess i could perhaps finish it later and put a larger review of it.

#3 2015-08-07 19:40:09

Raven
Formerly Diana2003

Finally somebody here likes Sonic.

#4 2015-08-07 20:03:07, last edited by Sensei1 (2015-08-07 20:04:39)

Sensei1

I liked these worlds a lot. They really felt kinda like a sonic game! I found it a bit annoying sometimes when you fell down and you had to start all the way from the beginning of the "zone", so in my opinion you could have added just a couple of checkpoints in them. Really good worlds still, you succeeded very well at making them look "sonic style" //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
Also, this world is even better with some sonic music in the background!

Diana2003 wrote:

Finally somebody here likes Sonic.

I like sonic too!

Sensei11438974187527880

Board footer