Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-03-08 20:22:03

Twipply

Re: Opinions on Marijunana Consumption

Insanity wrote:

Also, people don't smoke weed for life. You can quit anytime, anywhere.

You might want to look up the difference between mental and physical addiction.

- Twipply

#27 2015-03-08 20:38:53, last edited by tentacleTherapist (2015-03-08 20:55:40)

tentacleTherapist

Twipply wrote:
tentacleTherapist wrote:

Cannabis smoke contains twice the concentration of carcinogenic substances. It is a huge misconception that Cannabis helps cancer as it is 50% more likely to cause a tumor than tobacco.

Well isn't that interesting. I'd sure love to see a source for these claims!

This is a nice one because it gives a controlled (means less chance of extraneous variables) experiment at the start:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516340/
This one contains some internal sources as well as being a secondary source itself, although it does have a few bits that will annoy a few people on here as it has some generic arguments:
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-c … use-cancer
Ncbi is a really nice website actually as it has a lot of published papers on a lot of subjects. This one also has the immunosuppressant qualities I was talking about earlier:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12412839
Talking about causing progression in growth instead of reduction.
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/64/6/1943
I am not going to buy the paper but if you look up Gordon, Conley JW & Gordon's 2013 "Medical consequences of marijuana use: a review of current literature" it has some interesting stuff we looked at in class.

Insanity wrote:

Ya, cannabis has nearly 3 times the amount of tar than a cig (tar buildup destroys lungs and causes lung cancer to a degree), but it's not addictive. If you blaze say, one a month or every few weeks you'll have a far less chance of getting cancer than someone who smokes a pack of cigs a day.

The problem is to feel the effects of Cannabis you need to inhale more substance than you would for cigarettes (I think it is like 20% more). I didn't say anything about addictiveness but if you think about it psychologically, the fact that it is not addictive could be included as a reason for psychological addiction as the person feel as if they have addiction to break and therefore no cause to stop (realisation of addiction is a common cause of people giving up smoking, that isn't present in Cannabis) And knowing humans if something is nice you will want more of it creating a psychological need even if no psychical addiction is present.

Sorry as I said I have no strong opinion on the legalisation of Cannabis but I thought I should contribute the information I know.

This is hella gay

#28 2015-03-08 21:04:38, last edited by Zoey2070 (2015-03-08 21:10:17)

Twipply

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516340/ wrote:

There were 79 cases of lung cancer and 324 controls. The risk of lung cancer increased 8% (95% CI 2% to 15%) for each joint-year of cannabis smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking, and 7% (95% CI 5% to 9%) for each pack-year of cigarette smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cannabis smoking. The highest tertile of cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of lung cancer RR=5.7 (95% CI 1.5 to 21.6), after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking.

This doesn't seem to fit either of your two claims I quoted.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-c … use-cancer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12412839

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/64/6/1943

I'm either missing where each of these sources backs up the "Cannabis smoke contains twice the concentration of carcinogenic substances." or "[Cannabis is] 50% more likely to cause a tumor than tobacco" claims you made, or you're full of HAPPINESS AND JOY TO THE WORLD. Admittedly, I did only skim them with a few ctrl f's, but that's because you linked me to a bunch of articles rather than actually citing a source for what you said.

Which is it?

- Twipply

#29 2015-03-08 21:05:37, last edited by Insanity (2015-03-08 21:05:56)

Insanity

Twipply wrote:
Insanity wrote:

You might want to look up the difference between mental and physical addiction.

If you have a mental addiction, you're fked up to start with. All I'm sayin' is that weed's not inherently addictive, unlike nicotine.

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#30 2015-03-08 21:19:23

Zumza

Stange me:
I don't smoke, I don't drink, Im not swearing
I love

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#31 2015-03-08 21:24:50

tentacleTherapist

Twipply wrote:

I'm either missing where each of these sources backs up the "Cannabis smoke contains twice the concentration of carcinogenic substances." or "[Cannabis is] 50% more likely to cause a tumor than tobacco" claims you made, or you're full of HAPPINESS AND JOY TO THE WORLD. Admittedly, I did only skim them with a few ctrl f's, but that's because you linked me to a bunch of articles rather than actually citing a source for what you said.

Which is it?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/06june/Page … mated.aspx
ctrl f "50%" there you go
I was trying to avoid this one as it is too dumbed down as it is the nhs. As I have said on cs, don't argue if you are not going to read the entirety of my sources and that you can find anything using ctrl f as they are my own words as I am not going to copy and paste exactly from the source when instead I can actually read it (unlike you).

This is hella gay

#32 2015-03-08 21:30:18, last edited by Twipply (2015-03-08 21:30:31)

Twipply

tentacleTherapist wrote:

Cannabis smoke contains twice the concentration of carcinogenic substances.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/06june/Pages/cannabis-lung-health-risks-underestimated.aspx wrote:

This means that cannabis smoke has the same carcinogens (substances that cause cancer) as tobacco smoke, although concentrations of these may be up to 50% higher.

Lol. Don't worry, I'm done now.

- Twipply

#33 2015-03-08 21:35:05

Bobithan

From what I've heard, not much research has been actually done on marijuana compared to other drugs up until now, meaning the people saying "don't legalize it, it's dangerous!" are just as justified as the people saying "legalize it, it's not dangerous!". There's a lot of confirmation bias on both sides of the argument, so that really puts me on the fence about the issue.

Like, for alcohol and tobacco, we pretty much know exactly what they do and why. There's barely any argument over what those substances do, so they're legal. Seeing constant argument over what marijuana does makes it seem like we're not ready to make any decisions on the drug.

aka towwl

#34 2015-03-08 22:32:27

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Though I have never smoked marijuana, and will probably never, I think it should be legalized.

I don't look very deep into these things, but I'm pretty sure tobacco and marijuana have the same health concerns.  It's when people start putting other chemicals in the marijuana that it becomes a little dangerous.

Maybe there should be a restriction on how much you can buy in a certain period of time. And then the same laws for alcohol should be put in place for marijuana.

Discord: jawp#5123

#35 2015-03-08 23:15:09

Anak

JaWapa wrote:

Though I have never smoked marijuana, and will probably never, I think it should be legalized.

I don't look very deep into these things, but I'm pretty sure tobacco and marijuana have the same health concerns.  It's when people start putting other chemicals in the marijuana that it becomes a little dangerous.

Maybe there should be a restriction on how much you can buy in a certain period of time. And then the same laws for alcohol should be put in place for marijuana.

I had this conversation with my friend. He said that really both should be legalised, but heavily taxed.

#36 2015-03-08 23:24:57, last edited by Calicara (2015-03-08 23:25:57)

Calicara

RumMumMario wrote:
Calicara wrote:

I think the US should legalize marijuana. I think it would cause crime rates to go down since there would be less drug related crime activity. Some people say, if we legalize marijuana what drugs will come next? Probably none or few. From what I understand pot just makes people docile and hungry. I don't see how that's necessarily harmful so long as you're consenting to it and are in a safe place.

How would the crime rates (related to drugs) go down if we legalize marijuana? We still have many more drugs that are used often; heroin, cocaine, LSD, meth, mushrooms, etc etc.

Legalizing marijuana will just make the country look worse, especially if in U.S. There will be more crazy people with red eyes and high that rape little children.

From my understanding marijuana just makes you high and hungry. Not sure where you are getting raping children from. Seems to me there are better things for police to worry about than pot smokers. Let people kill themselves. The states can make money by heavily taxing marijuana like Anak said, and there will also be less people being imprisoned for drug abuse. It's really a win win.

Seems to me there are more deaths/murders/abusive behavior from drinking than smoking pot, but I don't see prohibition rearing it's head anytime soon.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#37 2015-03-09 02:07:07

RumMumMario

Calicara wrote:
RumMumMario wrote:
Calicara wrote:

I think the US should legalize marijuana. I think it would cause crime rates to go down since there would be less drug related crime activity. Some people say, if we legalize marijuana what drugs will come next? Probably none or few. From what I understand pot just makes people docile and hungry. I don't see how that's necessarily harmful so long as you're consenting to it and are in a safe place.

How would the crime rates (related to drugs) go down if we legalize marijuana? We still have many more drugs that are used often; heroin, cocaine, LSD, meth, mushrooms, etc etc.

Legalizing marijuana will just make the country look worse, especially if in U.S. There will be more crazy people with red eyes and high that rape little children.

From my understanding marijuana just makes you high and hungry. Not sure where you are getting raping children from. Seems to me there are better things for police to worry about than pot smokers. Let people kill themselves. The states can make money by heavily taxing marijuana like Anak said, and there will also be less people being imprisoned for drug abuse. It's really a win win.

Seems to me there are more deaths/murders/abusive behavior from drinking than smoking pot, but I don't see prohibition rearing it's head anytime soon.

I have a stereotype; people who do drugs are mentally sick.

Maybe they don't rape, but they're high. They can do some stupid things just like when you're severely drunk.

Hey! Let's chat, I'm on IRC from 4:00PM(EST) - 9:00PM(EST). ttps://qchat.rizon.net/?channels=#shellshocklive

127371832852516405610_model100414.png

#38 2015-03-09 05:16:22

Abelysk

RumMumMario wrote:
Calicara wrote:
RumMumMario wrote:

I have a stereotype; people who do drugs are mentally sick.

Maybe they don't rape, but they're high. They can do some stupid things just like when you're severely drunk.

That has to be the most bogus statement I've ever heard.

#39 2015-03-09 18:51:11

Anak

Itsmeandersonlol wrote:
RumMumMario wrote:

They can do some stupid things just like when you're severely drunk.

Not really. When you go on any drug it will change you and how you behave in some form. As such, on the more heavier ones like weed, (heavier than chocolate, and caffeine is what I'm saying) there is a chance you will do something that you would not when sober.

#40 2015-03-09 19:57:20, last edited by Insanity (2015-03-09 19:58:02)

Insanity

Anak wrote:
Itsmeandersonlol wrote:
RumMumMario wrote:

They can do some stupid things just like when you're severely drunk.

Not really. When you go on any drug it will change you and how you behave in some form. As such, on the more heavier ones like weed, (heavier than chocolate, and caffeine is what I'm saying) there is a chance you will do something that you would not when sober.

You can't make that statement without having experience on it.

Weed is very different from alcohol. Alcohol impairs your ability to think, see, and make decisions. Weed amplifies those things. It doesn't impair your ability to think, it just makes you say things or do things that only make sense to you. Now, weed isn't a strong psychedelic or a strong narcotic that makes you commit insane decisions. It mellows your soul, relaxes you, or it can make you hyperactive and cause you to laugh at everything and anything. But harmful to society? It's definitely not.

Cocaine, crack, LSD, Shrooms, Meth, Ecstasy, Bath Salts, Toads are examples of drugs that should be and are illegal. Weed is on a far lower scale than these.

I've taken tests while high, completed Labs while high, talked to my parents while high. You can't do that if people act like they're severely drunk when they're on weed. It's simply not true.

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.

#41 2015-03-09 20:24:43

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Anak wrote:

I had this conversation with my friend. He said that really both should be legalised, but heavily taxed.

Would definitely help out country debt problems.

Why is marijuana illegal?  Is it because they want to protect people from the drug, or protect people who are on the drug.... I don't understand.

#42 2015-03-09 20:39:27, last edited by Insanity (2015-03-09 20:41:06)

Insanity

JaWapa wrote:

Why is marijuana illegal?  Is it because they want to protect people from the drug, or protect people who are on the drug.... I don't understand.

It's illegal because back in the old days, particularly the 1900's. After the Mexican Revolution, the influx of Mexicans into the United States somehow was an issue to Americans. They wanted a reason to deport these people.
Cannabis was very popular among these people, they used it for medicine and for relaxation. However, Americans saw the demonization of weed as an extension for the demonizaton of Mexicans. Basically, they used Weed as an excuse to deport these immigrants. How? By making weed illegal.

In the early 1930's, people started making claims that weed was causing men of color (aka immigrants such as hispanics and blacks) to express signs of violence and other behaviors that were deemed almost barbaric. This was the basis behind the Marijuana Act of 1937, which made weed illegal.

While the Act was ruled unconstitutional years later, it was replaced with the Controlled Substances Act in the 1970’s, which is what makes it illegal today.

But you can see that the entire basis of this Act was a flawed, prejudice opinion driven by racism.

#43 2015-03-09 20:41:25

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

So it's illegal because of racists accusations... perfect picture of America in the 1900s

#44 2015-03-09 21:28:18

Anak

Insanity wrote:
Anak wrote:

You can't make that statement without having experience on it.

Weed is very different from alcohol. Alcohol impairs your ability to think, see, and make decisions. Weed amplifies those things. It doesn't impair your ability to think, it just makes you say things or do things that only make sense to you. Now, weed isn't a strong psychedelic or a strong narcotic that makes you commit insane decisions. It mellows your soul, relaxes you, or it can make you hyperactive and cause you to laugh at everything and anything. But harmful to society? It's definitely not.

Cocaine, crack, LSD, Shrooms, Meth, Ecstasy, Bath Salts, Toads are examples of drugs that should be and are illegal. Weed is on a far lower scale than these.

I've taken tests while high, completed Labs while high, talked to my parents while high. You can't do that if people act like they're severely drunk when they're on weed. It's simply not true.

I wasn't saying it was harmful to society or anything like that. I don't think it is anyways.
What I'm saying is that, since it's a drug, it will change the way you think, as bolded. As such you may do something stupid, or you may not. But you will act differently to if you were sober, (as bolded) as is what a drug does.

It was just in response to someone saying it was bogus, which I assume means false, so I was just saying that people will act differently on a drug.

#45 2015-03-09 21:37:04, last edited by tentacleTherapist (2015-03-09 21:39:41)

tentacleTherapist

Anak I think you are misunderstanding the debate. I am assuming you are young and I do not mean to patronise you, but because not all drugs are bad, ones where the benefits outweigh the negatives such as ibuprofen or Prozac. The debate is whether the positives of Cannabis outweigh the negatives or the other way around. I think the way you are thinking of the argument is because it is labeled as a drug it is bad as they misinform children that drugs always equal bad.

Although as I keep saying I don't particularly with what I have seen most of the arguments for the benefits are superficial or do not have strong supporting evidence while there are clear links between it and lowered immune system, COPD, Cancers and various other illnesses which are also linked to smoking. But again, opinion.

This is hella gay

#46 2015-03-09 21:53:42

Anak

tentacleTherapist wrote:

Anak I think you are misunderstanding the debate. I am assuming you are young and I do not mean to patronise you, but because not all drugs are bad, ones where the benefits outweigh the negatives such as ibuprofen or Prozac. The debate is whether the positives of Cannabis outweigh the negatives or the other way around. I think the way you are thinking of the argument is because it is labeled as a drug it is bad as they misinform children that drugs always equal bad.

Although as I keep saying I don't particularly with what I have seen most of the arguments for the benefits are superficial or do not have strong supporting evidence while there are clear links between it and lowered immune system, COPD, Cancers and various other illnesses which are also linked to smoking. But again, opinion.

I know what the debate is about, and I'm not saying all drugs are bad either.
I was just saying that drugs will change the way you behave, in response to another post. I assumed that was clear, sorry.
(Unless I'm still not understanding something going on here.)

#47 2015-03-09 23:39:49

Abelysk

I can say that marijuana makes kids in the school I go to lazy, but relaxed and not aggressive. Being drunk through alcohol on the other hand definitely increases instability. Weed isn't a bad drug and actually stabilizes people (part of why it is taken for medicinal purposes).

#48 2015-03-10 00:09:42

Pingohits
Banned

There should really be a list of opposing sides

then i know who is for or against

791mAP8.png

#49 2015-03-10 00:29:09

Insanity

Pingohits wrote:

There should really be a list of opposing sides

then i know who is for or against

I'll edit the first post to make a list

#50 2015-03-10 01:03:18

Pingohits
Banned

Cow wrote:

Yo real talk from someone who's been blazing it several times a day for 6 years now. Yeah it should be legalized, most adults know that. The debate on marijuana legalization is almost a joke now - it's only a matter of time before the entire United States and most of the world legalizes recreational marijuana usage for adults. And hopefully we go on to address our ludicrous drug policies extending beyond marijuana.

That being said, daily use is not a good thing. Seriously just don't get in the habit. Marijuana is **** awesome if you do it appropriately. It can enhance your creativity, give you new ways of thinking about the world, and help with bonding with others. I'd go as far to say that most (not all) people should at least try marijuana. But when you smoke too much, weird stuff starts happening to you. Nah, it's not gonna give you cancer. You're not gonna end up in an alley sucking some skeezy dude's **** for a nug of OG kush. But it will screw with your motivation, make you stop caring about things, and ultimately, over time, you will begin to see how much life has passed you by. My personality has shifted rapidly in the last year or two, and I know it's related to marijuana. Know that this is something that me and literally every stoner I grew up with would agree with.

Don't mean to sound too preachy, just trying to give you some perspective from someone who is a bit older and who has been down the path of blazing everyday. I apologize if some of my language is inappropriate for these forums; mods please feel free to delete this post.

//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool smoke weed evriday //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

just gotta love cow

791mAP8.png

Kyle971426522559483645

Board footer