Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-24 11:50:55, last edited by Master1 (2015-02-24 11:51:44)

Master1

Re: Official List of Words to Uncensor

@Calicra
Please add:
Preteen
Hiroshima
Hitler
Nazi
Gay
Lesbian

to the list for the following reasons:
First, Preteen and Hiroshima are just stupid censors anyway.
Second, Hitler and Nazi's are names for a person, and a group of people. Do the names do anything wrong? No. It is the people who committed murder, it's not the name that did it. Censoring a persons name is dumb.
Third, Censors are supposed to stop people from being offended, yet you censor Gay and Lesbian? If I was gay, I would be highly offended that it is censored. It makes it look like the staff hates gays and lesbians.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#27 2015-02-24 11:52:06

Koya
Fabulous Member

"screwdriver"

I rarely say it, I can't remember the last time, but it is annoying that that is censored due to 'screw'.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#28 2015-02-24 13:37:39

Different55
Forum Admin

JaWapa, it's an issue now because now we have staff who supposedly listen. Before, it would have been like telling at a brick wall.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#29 2015-02-24 14:40:07

Weirdoverse
Website

I totally agree on uncensoring these words

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

#30 2015-02-24 14:45:57

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

I'm not going to debate this anymore.  I said I would edit a few of the censors.  If you want them all removed, edit the client yourself.

Discord: jawp#5123

#31 2015-02-24 16:28:18

bubba0nate

912468 wrote:
Calicara wrote:

Words to Uncensor
Screw
Crap

Why would you uncensor these words? In my country these words are pretty offensive...

True, those are words I'd like kids not using.
"****" is kinda offensive, but if you want to be able to say arsenic, just ask them to add a whitelist of words with the swears in them.

#32 2015-02-24 16:31:09, last edited by Different55 (2015-02-24 16:32:07)

Different55
Forum Admin

[brick wall intensifies]

We don't want them all removed, we want the stupid ones removed and we want the false positives gone. You're working on some of the stupid ones and that's great and I appreciate it but the censors still need lots of work, because they're irritating innocent people more than they're stopping offense.

- ShinsukeIto

#33 2015-02-24 16:52:11

Koya
Fabulous Member

What's the average age of the player? Has to be above 13 - I think the censors should be relaxed a fair amount. People just put a space between words - so the censor is useless anyway, just keep definitive swear words

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#34 2015-02-24 17:44:42

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

@D55 - I said I would edit them.  But I'm not removing all the words that people request.

#35 2015-02-24 20:20:17

Different55
Forum Admin

Yeah, I get that. I think.

- ShinsukeIto

#36 2015-02-24 23:30:19

Master1

Just remove the ones on Calicaras list and my previous list then. Don't worry about removing every censor.

#37 2015-02-25 02:33:20, last edited by Calicara (2015-02-25 02:34:44)

Calicara

I know this thread is winding to a close, just want to put in my final two cents.

Swearing should not be an issue on EE. There are so many ways to avoid the censors, it begs the question why there are so many in the first place. I understand censoring common english swear like f*ck and B**ch, and some sexual lingo but do we really need more than that? And if people still abuse words, even with censors off, where are the guardians? It should be there job to moderate the times when language is inappropriate. Fact is, while this game is targeted toward an younger audience, many of us older players have grown up in the past 4 years. Just because we like to use big words or swear words doesn't make us bad/inappropriate. 

Also world owners have plenty of right to moderate their own worlds by kicking offenders, and players who can't deal with offensive language can simply /mute. The more words you censor the more censored words people are gonna say. Instead of trying to stop people from swearing with censors, either warn the offender or tell the other person to suck it up and deal with it.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#38 2015-02-25 10:04:45

Master1

Calicara wrote:

I know this thread is winding to a close, just want to put in my final two cents.

Swearing should not be an issue on EE. There are so many ways to avoid the censors, it begs the question why there are so many in the first place. I understand censoring common english swear like f*ck and B**ch, and some sexual lingo but do we really need more than that? And if people still abuse words, even with censors off, where are the guardians? It should be there job to moderate the times when language is inappropriate. Fact is, while this game is targeted toward an younger audience, many of us older players have grown up in the past 4 years. Just because we like to use big words or swear words doesn't make us bad/inappropriate. 

Also world owners have plenty of right to moderate their own worlds by kicking offenders, and players who can't deal with offensive language can simply /mute. The more words you censor the more censored words people are gonna say. Instead of trying to stop people from swearing with censors, either warn the offender or tell the other person to suck it up and deal with it.

I agree 100%
Also, I feel like having so many censors is encouraging players to bypass them. If people want to say a word, they will attempt to say it whether it is censored or not.

#39 2015-02-26 04:21:28

Master1

-doublepost-
I added a card for this on the trello under important:
https://trello.com/b/iragsoFz/everybody-edits-ideas
-
Vote if you agree with the idea. We need some way to record how many people are for the removal of these. Maybe a high number of votes will change Jawapas mind? He is supposed to give us what the community wants, after all.

#40 2015-02-26 05:17:02

Bloodpuff

JaWapa wrote:

Bottom line, they are there to protect people from harmful language.  They are there to prevent people from utterly rude to others.

but the censors don't actually solve either of those problems, it's like trying to fix a steel pipe with paper glue. It doesn't fix the problem at hand, and actually manages to create more problems altogether.
People are still going to use harmful language, and people are still going to be utterly rude, regardless of the censors.
The only way to honestly fix this is to remove chat completely, or just ban everyone who has said a rude thing during their time on ee.

1 2 3 4 <- my favorite bad music

#41 2015-02-26 05:58:43

Master1

Bloodpuff wrote:
JaWapa wrote:

Bottom line, they are there to protect people from harmful language.  They are there to prevent people from utterly rude to others.

but the censors don't actually solve either of those problems, it's like trying to fix a steel pipe with paper glue. It doesn't fix the problem at hand, and actually manages to create more problems altogether.
People are still going to use harmful language, and people are still going to be utterly rude, regardless of the censors.
The only way to honestly fix this is to remove chat completely, or just ban everyone who has said a rude thing during their time on ee.

Which is pretty much everyone, so let's ban all EE users! Woo!

#42 2015-02-26 18:32:08

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

1. We don't use trello anymore

2. I said I would edit the word censors.  What more do you want.  Were not removing them all, and not every word that has been requested to be removed will be.  Bottom line.  Nothing else.

#43 2015-02-26 18:59:17

Kyle97

Why not just add a setting so users could turn off filters if they want to. It would be set to "on" by default, and if a user wishes to view the sensored words, they just change it to "off".

#44 2015-02-26 20:12:38

Master1

JaWapa wrote:

1. We don't use trello anymore

2. I said I would edit the word censors.  What more do you want.  Were not removing them all, and not every word that has been requested to be removed will be.  Bottom line.  Nothing else.

-
Just because you don't use the trello, doesn't mean we can't still use it. It was a nice way of showing who likes which ideas, doesn't matter who uses it still or not.

Also, I never asked you (in this topic) to remove all censors. The words that have been requested in this topic are words that the community thinks should be uncensored. This game is about the community right? Not what Jawapa thinks is best. Honestly dude, when you completely overpower the community, without even listening to us, you are being no better than Mrshoe was. I was hoping all of that nonsense would change with new admins.
-
I'm trying to put into place, what the community wants put into place. That is my job right? You shouldn't be shoving the idea down without thinking on it first. I saw in Skype where you said that Failgirl and I aren't listening as to why it's a bad idea, yet, I haven't seen you listen to why it's a good idea. Also I'm pretty sure you've posted no explanation as to why you think it is bad, in this topic.

That trello thing has already received 7 votes, including my own. And I'm sure that Failgirl would add an 8th to it if she were here. I think our 8 votes should over power your 1 vote, if there is any fairness left in this game.

#45 2015-02-26 22:08:53

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

I've listened.  And I once again... I said I would edit them.  I'm not sure what you are still trying to argue here.  I've said that several times now.

And whoever is on the trello board has all rights to post stuff on there and get votes.  Use that to get opinions and suggestions, that's cool.  But most of us won't be using it.  If you want to use to organize ideas, go ahead.

Now, let me state this again. I will edit the censor list.

#46 2015-02-26 23:29:21

Master1

okay good.

#47 2015-02-27 00:00:26

Koto

JaWapa wrote:

There are several word censors that are dumb, I will agree with a lot of people on that.  But they shouldn't be removed.  They are in place because people use them in such a negative way.  To you, it might seem childish to call someone a "poop head". But you have to keep in mind that a lot of the player base that is coming in, are young children.  They would get upset over that.  Now they either leave the game and it has one less player, or their parents contact us and we have to battle them.

On top of all of that.  These word censors have been in the game for years.  It doesn't effect the game in a huge way.  They will stay.

There was an Autistic kid in one of my classes back from when I was in school that would get really offended by the word 'poop', and would just totally flip out.

Koto1424991626477155

Board footer