Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

XxAtillaxX

Re: [In-progress] [Alpha] Octopus Analytics -- read between the blocks

BuzzerBee wrote:
Hexagon wrote:

Aside:

Wow calm down William Shakespeare

Wow, that signature and avatar. Calm down Vermeer.
Is there an open-source repository of this project?
EDIT: ah I found it. I'll be forking your project and adding a few cool things, like a scripting language in order to make 'plugins' for this kind of analytics. I need to sharpen up my strategical programming a bit.

I'd suggest some statistics about when people rage quit, how many rooms they join afterwards, or if they rejoin, in order to gain information about how hard they raged, and see if they rejoin, if they end up making it back to the spot they were in when they had quit.

I think it would be very useful for mini creators to gain precise information about their challenges, and also find possible ways to make it more enjoyable by representation.

I'm thinking something like, drawing a red semi-transparent overlay gradually becoming more opaque in spots that lead to more people leaving, or perhaps say things like ("took forever/long.", "Finally.", "ugh", "hard")

Or possibly, a yellow semi-transparent overlay gradually becoming more opaque in spots that have people saying "help" or asking for the owner/someone with edit to come to where they are.

And in the other hand, possibly adding green semi-transparent overlays to areas where people say happy things, or express emotion. (e.g. smiley faces, "yay", "whee").

signature.png
*u stinky*

#27 Before February 2015

Zumza

Observations:
If we have a lot of users it will become black. An layer for each can solve the problem.
Most people will leave on red area and the green area will be always after an red area.

Last edited by The Doctor (Feb 2 2015 8:31:34 am)

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#28 Before February 2015

Hexagon

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I'll be forking your project and adding a few cool things, like a scripting language in order to make 'plugins' for this kind of analytics. I need to sharpen up my strategical programming a bit.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I have a few critical changes (involving dead crawlers, event corruption and such) that I need to push, so I guess we can get the merge conflicts sorted out eventually.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I'd suggest some statistics about when people rage quit, how many rooms they join afterwards, or if they rejoin, in order to gain information about how hard they raged, and see if they rejoin, if they end up making it back to the spot they were in when they had quit.

I'm thinking something like, drawing a red semi-transparent overlay gradually becoming more opaque in spots that lead to more people leaving, or perhaps say things like ("took forever/long.", "Finally.", "ugh", "hard") [...]

Those are excellent ideas, (including the others that you mentioned) and I think that they should be implemented. I'm tempted to record chat, but store the username as an opaque id, so that aggregate data can be used. For example, it could say a generic message like "People asked for help here".

The Doctor wrote:

Observations:
If we have a lot of users it will become black. An layer for each can solve the problem.
Most people will leave on red area and the green area will be always after an red area.

The overlay opacity will be proportional to the maximum amount of people in one spot. So, what this means is the highest populated spot will be very dark, and the least will be almost transparent (normalization).
---
Blacklist in effect--if eecrawler or decagon was kicked at any point in time, it will not crawl the world again.

Last edited by Hexagon (Feb 3 2015 5:44:13 pm)

#29 Before February 2015

Security-Drone

So is EECrawler harmless? Or does it view chatlogs, profiles, number of users and other stuff.
Also does it even move?

#30 Before February 2015

Hexagon

Security-Drone wrote:

So is EECrawler harmless? Or does it view chatlogs, profiles, number of users and other stuff.
Also does it even move?

Right now it can't view chat logs, even if it wanted to (I signed up for the newsletter on an invalid email account so it's disabled.) EECrawler does not view profiles itself but does gather usernames so that their profiles will be downloaded. Private profiles will be discarded if they are for some reason downloaded.

#31 Before February 2015

Security-Drone

Hexagon wrote:
Security-Drone wrote:

Also does it even move?

Right now it can't view chat logs, even if it wanted to (I signed up for the newsletter on an invalid email account so it's disabled.) EECrawler does not view profiles itself but does gather usernames so that their profiles will be downloaded. Private profiles will be discarded if they are for some reason downloaded.

So what does it then do with the profiles?
Also does it only connect to one world at a time?
p.s. You might want to tell everyone not to kick it. As many people are saying that it harvests info and uses it against them.

#32 Before February 2015

Hexagon

It just stores the profiles. That's it right now. It also connects to many worlds at once, usually rooms with more than four or five users.

Security-Drone wrote:

As many people are saying that it harvests info and uses it against them.

That's unfortunate. It's entirely up to them if they kick it--I can't really tell them otherwise not to. Disadvantage is that their world won't show up in analytics.

#33 Before February 2015

Security-Drone

I suppose I could tell everone about eecrawler and explain that he is harmless.
I think that some people are making a habit of kicking eecrawler and they are now doing it for fun.
What was eecrawler originally designed for anyway?

Last edited by Security-Drone (Feb 6 2015 6:54:14 pm)

#34 Before February 2015

Hexagon

Security-Drone wrote:

What was eecrawler originally designed for anyway?

In the beginning, EECrawler was designed for the EERecommend system, where levels can be recommended to players (ones that may like). Without user data, it is essentially a "shot in the dark" to guess what someone would like. With the data that EECrawler is getting, it allows this service to be much more accurate and precise.

However, this project has developed to include a range of activities, including analytics, among others. We believe that insights can be generated by the data and allow level creators to make their levels better.

#35 2015-02-24 22:08:45

realmaster42
Formerly marcoantonimsantos
Website

Introduction

Octopus Analytics(...). The goal is to help EE level creators understand how people are interacting and playing your level, and to make it more enjoyable.

Wow, why did you make a goals whisper then?
You already made it into a short text that everyone can understand...
'Goals whisper'=Bla Bla Bla
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

http://i.imgur.com/bjvgH5L.png?1

#36 2015-02-24 22:51:09

Hexagon

marcoantonimsantos wrote:

Introduction

Octopus Analytics(...). The goal is to help EE level creators understand how people are interacting and playing your level, and to make it more enjoyable.

Wow, why did you make a goals whisper then?
You already made it into a short text that everyone can understand...
'Goals whisper'=Bla Bla Bla
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

The introduction is basically an extremely condensed version of the application, and the goals section is an  elaboration on the introduction. I do apprechiate your input, and a few revisions may be necessary to clarify this redundancy.

Hexagon1424814669476556

Board footer