Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-23 05:34:56, last edited by Calicara (2015-02-24 14:25:33)

Calicara

Official List of Words to Uncensor

There are some words that are censored by don't need to be. Here are just a few, I will add more if we think of them:

2/24: Added Hitler/Hiroshima since multiple users suggested it and I want this to be a community thread, not just Failgirl says.

Words to Uncensor
Screw
Poop
Crap
Pula/Pule
Preteen
Hiroshima
Hitler
Nazi
Gay
Lesbian

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#2 2015-02-23 07:31:08

mikelin

Re: Official List of Words to Uncensor

And Hiroshima, Hitler and **** (that you can't say arsenic).

So... WTH?! 囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧

So mamy 囧's

Why don't they make 囧 smiley and 囧Bruce smiley? Really 囧 indeed! :囧:

#3 2015-02-23 07:55:04

Website

Calicara wrote:

Words to Uncensor
Screw
Crap

Why would you uncensor these words? In my country these words are pretty offensive...

vF0MA5o.png

#4 2015-02-23 14:18:30, last edited by mrjawapa (2015-02-23 14:18:39)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

There are several word censors that are dumb, I will agree with a lot of people on that.  But they shouldn't be removed.  They are in place because people use them in such a negative way.  To you, it might seem childish to call someone a "poop head". But you have to keep in mind that a lot of the player base that is coming in, are young children.  They would get upset over that.  Now they either leave the game and it has one less player, or their parents contact us and we have to battle them.

On top of all of that.  These word censors have been in the game for years.  It doesn't effect the game in a huge way.  They will stay.

Discord: jawp#5123

#5 2015-02-23 14:42:30, last edited by Calicara (2015-02-23 15:22:29)

Calicara

JaWapa wrote:

There are several word censors that are dumb, I will agree with a lot of people on that.  But they shouldn't be removed.  They are in place because people use them in such a negative way.  To you, it might seem childish to call someone a "poop head". But you have to keep in mind that a lot of the player base that is coming in, are young children.  They would get upset over that.  Now they either leave the game and it has one less player, or their parents contact us and we have to battle them.

On top of all of that.  These word censors have been in the game for years.  It doesn't effect the game in a huge way.  They will stay.

Wow. You act like people don't evade these censors anyway. And furthermore I have seen a lot worse swears said without any action taken against them. The more you try to censor speech the more people are gonna wanna say it. And sometimes these words just come up in casual conversation, or banter, or jokes. Don't be such a grandpa. Whoever contacts you because their child was called a poop head is stupid, there are much worse insults and much better things to worry about.

tgA1y17.jpg

#6 2015-02-23 15:06:23, last edited by Different55 (2015-02-23 15:11:27)

Different55
Forum Admin

I don't think I've ever met a kid who would get upset over being called a poop head. I've met several that would attempt to physically attack you if you called them [their age minus one], though. Maybe you guys could censor numbers? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

My point is, you can't stop people from offending each other. You're not stopping anything, just irritating the people who are trying to use some of these words legitimately. The censor NEEDS work. There are way too many false positives and there are words that are censored that just shouldn't be.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#7 2015-02-23 16:11:18

Creature

I want words pula/pule to be uncensored, they aren't offensive and means "jump" in my language.

This is a false statement.

#8 2015-02-23 16:32:29

some woman

Calicara wrote:

There are some words that are censored by don't need to be. Here are just a few, I will add more if we think of them:

Words to Uncensor
Screw
Poop
Crap

I kinda disagree with this. I don't want a million five year olds spamming the chat with "POOP ON [your name here] HES CRAP!! LOL"

Creature wrote:

I want words pula/pule to be uncensored, they aren't offensive and means "jump" in my language.

well what if you jumped on a police officer???? that would be pretty offensive

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#9 2015-02-23 16:39:12, last edited by Calicara (2015-02-24 14:24:43)

Calicara

Crap is a commonly used word though which is also used in lieu of a swear word when one is angry.

Ie: Crap I just failed that mini when I was so close to winning.

Poop isn't even a swear. I don't know why people get so offended by it. It's literally the bane of immature language. There's no reason to have it censored, because there's no reason it should be offensive. It's the name of a stinky human excretion.

Screw is the name of a metal tool we use to bind things together. It's also the prefix for words like screwball.

tgA1y17.jpg

#10 2015-02-23 16:44:13

Different55
Forum Admin

And it's used in phrases like "screw up", which then get censored to "**** up" which makes it look like you said something that you didn't.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#11 2015-02-23 17:51:24

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Crap could be uncensored.

I will look at the censor list and go from there.

#12 2015-02-23 17:57:06

Calicara

If you could at least uncensor crap that would be great. I use it all the time in frustration. It's not swearing. I think it's better to shout in the air then in someone face, and I'd be more likely to do that if what I'm saying wasn't censored. Because it looks like I'm saying bad things but I'm not.

tgA1y17.jpg

#13 2015-02-23 18:04:52

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

I too use "crap" a lot.  Um...

I'm looking at the censor list now.  I'll make some changes.

#14 2015-02-23 18:08:20

Aaro54

I think I remember (ok or some part of it being cencored. I'll have to check if that still happens when I get to my computer

#15 2015-02-23 18:12:54

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

yeah it treats numbers and symbols as letters... or at least numbrs

#16 2015-02-23 23:56:03

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

a55, (ok and (lit are censored.
The way the censors work is that there's letters, and then there's letters that effectively mean the same thing in "leetspeak" -- like homestuck or really annoying children.
If I were to say something ridiculously inappropriate, I could just replace certain letters with numbers, like a readable cipher.
damn would become d4mn, etc. That's why sometimes we have weird things like parentheses followed by letters getting censored -- which sometimes is really weird.
Yes, I've said innocent things, and sometimes I've typoed something so horrendously that it doesn't get censored and then i end up saying the F word in a full world -- fk, ****, fkc, stuff like that.

Basically, people are always going to find things that a) offend people, b) aren't censored, c) are censored and shouldn't be.
An example is from Diary of a Wimpy Kid (the third one, yes I'm ashamed to know this but at least I had to look it up and didn't know it off the top of my head) where the dude's kid brother calls him Ploopy, and when the dude calls his kid brother Ploopy, he starts crying. Kids are going to get upset if you call them something that MIGHT be a bad word.
It's ridiculously easy to bypass the censors, usually by repeating a vowel. So we censor those, too.
But then Shiite is censored, so if you wanna talk about Islam, you can't.

So  I suggest we add a whitelist for specific instances (arsenic, (literally), stuff like that), uncensor things like Hitler and Hiroshima (but not Nagasaki?) -- you say EE isn't a place for history, but EE is arguably "not the place" for a lot of things that we still have. Like zombies and Evil Dead references. I've had legitimate discussions about Hitler and WWII and had to avoid saying his name.

What about gay? Or Homo? Homo's a prefix -- it isn't censored in these cases ("homozygous"), but when I say "homo sapiens" it is because homo stands alone.
Gay's perfectly okay! I can't talk about the Enola Gay which dropped the bomb on Hiroshima if I were to make a level about how evil Hitler & the Nazis were because half of it would be censored.

Oh, wait, because kids will call each other gay homo retarded hitler nazis, we don't want to upset children or get parent complaints but people demand the need to have their free speech. Also, because some children are straight up taught to be homophobic or racist and genuinely mean it as an insult.

There's two ways to consider this issue, but all in all, we need some kind of middle where I don't get censored for saying "(ok but really)" but do when I typo something that is still recognizable as a bad word. It just depends on who you value more: the "mature" and "adult" part of EE, or the people under the age of 12.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#17 2015-02-24 00:03:00

Anak

Zoey2070 wrote:

What about gay? Or Homo? Homo's a prefix -- it isn't censored in these cases ("homozygous"), but when I say "homo sapiens" it is because homo stands alone.
Gay's perfectly okay! I can't talk about the Enola Gay which dropped the bomb on Hiroshima if I were to make a level about how evil Hitler & the Nazis were because half of it would be censored.

Oh, wait, because kids will call each other gay homo retarded hitler nazis, we don't want to upset children or get parent complaints but people demand the need to have their free speech. Also, because some children are straight up taught to be homophobic or racist and genuinely mean it as an insult.

I'm gay and I don't really mind gay being censored for that reason, although really it shouldn't be and anyone just being discriminative in general should be punished. But I totally understand it being censored for that. Wouldn't really impede any discussion about sexuality and stuff anyways.

#18 2015-02-24 00:25:15

Koya
Fabulous Member

JaWapa wrote:

player base that is coming in, are young children.

This game should be aimed at an older audience.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#19 2015-02-24 01:23:57

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Okay but what about "preteen" like is this the new swear word and I'm just not in the loop or

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#20 2015-02-24 02:26:28, last edited by Shadowkirby (2015-02-24 02:29:21)

Shadowkirby

Have people forgotten the mute command or something? If words are ever used in such an immature manor to other people, they can just mute the offensive users and ignore all their insults/rude comments with swear words.

(- ᴥ -)

#21 2015-02-24 03:09:57

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

The freedom of speech does not mean you have the right to say whatever you want without consequences.  The freedom of speech means you have the right to share your opinion and give your thoughts.  It does not mean you can use that speech to be hurtful to others.  Also, not every single word that is censored is intentionally censored.  It is coded to see some symbols as letters and therefore censors it.

The game is intended for people of all ages, but it tends to attract younger people.

Why are censors such an issue all of a sudden?  They have been around for quite a while.  Yeah, there are a small few that could be uncensored, but we're not taking away all these censors because people think others should be mature enough to handle it.

Bottom line, they are there to protect people from harmful language.  They are there to prevent people from utterly rude to others.

If you want all of the censors removed to badly, edit the client yourself.  Then you can un/censor anything you want.  But on the official Everybody Edits client, the censors will remain.  A few very small changes will be made, but it's only a few words.

#22 2015-02-24 03:34:54

Pingohits
Banned

wait a minute

crap is censored?

I've been saying "OH CRAP" and "CRAPLOADS OF TUNA FISH" for the past 2 years and it showed perfectly

791mAP8.png

#23 2015-02-24 05:09:22

Calicara

Pingohits wrote:

wait a minute

crap is censored?

I've been saying "OH CRAP" and "CRAPLOADS OF TUNA FISH" for the past 2 years and it showed perfectly

Whaaaaaaaat? I've been saying it too and it's always censored. Always //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

tgA1y17.jpg

#24 2015-02-24 05:49:01

Onjit
Website

i think there's some number that's banned... 8008? 3003?

:.|:;

#25 2015-02-24 06:07:27

Xfrogman43

The problem is that with the young children, and immature people nowadays, they will say anything to annoy, make fun of, disrespect a person, etc. Crap has been censored with anything after it but they fixed that. I understand some people like Hitler, Hiroshima, and others did terrible things but its a name... Some people have religion stuff or whatever like Jews (and others)((Not being racist or whatever)) hate Hitler for what he did so you censor the name.How is Hitler an offensive word other than that?
"Stop being a Hitler!" How does that even make sense?

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Koto1424991626477155

Board footer