Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-16 03:13:41, last edited by Bobithan (2015-02-16 03:13:55)

Bobithan

The Pace of the Game

So I just started playing again after about a year, so that also means I'm back to spending energy in the shop after a year of inactivity. Boy, am I behind!

There are so many new things to spend my energy on now! I'm also super behind on all the action blocks I've missed out on hoarding. It almost makes me not want to make any content. But this is coming from somebody who probably spent 4 years total spending energy on new things almost daily. I'm the 1%, at least in Everybody Edits.

Now imagine how that feels to somebody who just started playing the game, an aspiring world creator with so many ideas in their head to make some of the greatest content the community has seen. There's one problem though: They don't have any blocks! I mean, maybe in a couple of days they'll have a spawn point, a few coin doors, and a couple of portals, but that's for somebody who's spending a lot of time on the Internet. Not a lot of people have that time. There's a solution though, and that would be Builder's Club. Sadly, a lot of new players don't have the money/time commitment for a simple sandbox flash game and just put EE on the shelf to play some more Dota 2.

Back when there were only but a few items in the shop to stock up on, it was fine. 625 energy for a single portal was a pretty good deal because there wasn't much else to spend your energy on. Sure, today we have 2-3x the energy as we did back then, but there's also almost 10x the amount of things to stock up on today compared to yesterday's EE. 

With so many more things to get, it brings the pace at which users are able to amass tools to use in their world creation to a slow crawl. If Everybody Edits is to grow from where it is now, it needs to loosen up on how to accumulate these items. There's too much content that's locked away from newcomers and that repels a lot of users.

Too few have the time for the energy shop, too few have the money for Builder's Club. Because of this less people make content, and as a result less people play. Just look at the numbers since MrShoe joined and added a ton of stuff to the shop

aka towwl

#2 2015-02-16 03:31:00, last edited by Keztek (2015-02-16 03:31:22)

Keztek
Formerly UltraBass

Re: The Pace of the Game

You sir, have just earned yourself a surblerbler.

#3 2015-02-16 03:38:13

colon

So.. EE's energy currency has just went through inflation?

Hopefully these advance business classes serve me well

#4 2015-02-16 04:32:55

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

The problem I have with energy is that even if you have a lot of it, like me :s, it takes so long to reload it doesn't really benefit you at all, and like you said we are spreading it so thin. I still don't have at least half of the stuff in the shop.

#5 2015-02-16 04:50:19

Pingohits
Banned

EE is still quite economically stable. If you played a Realm of the Mad God, EE would feel like Japan

791mAP8.png

#6 2015-02-16 05:07:21

Onjit
Website

Maybe reduce the energy/gem cost for several items, or make energy easier to get?

:.|:;

#7 2015-02-16 15:17:23

Pingohits
Banned

You know how there are games that let you get their "special currency" from ads? Maybe EE should have one of those options. 1 30 second ad=1 gem. There will be a cool down of around an hour from preventing spam

791mAP8.png

#8 2015-02-16 16:58:37

Bobithan

UltraBass wrote:

I beg your pardon?

Pingohits wrote:

You know how there are games that let you get their "special currency" from ads? Maybe EE should have one of those options. 1 30 second ad=1 gem. There will be a cool down of around an hour from preventing spam

That would be just rubbing it in. Everybody Edits shouldn't be like those other games, those other games are pretty much the scum of the mobile/facebook market that get all their appeal from the addicting grind they present. EE shouldn't be addicting because of the grind of the energy shop and the 30 second ads, it should be addicting because of the supposed endless amount of worlds that could be made. However, it's hard to make those endless worlds because of the grind that the shop is.

aka towwl

#9 2015-02-16 17:28:24

Pingohits
Banned

Bobithan wrote:
UltraBass wrote:

I beg your pardon?

Pingohits wrote:

That would be just rubbing it in. Everybody Edits shouldn't be like those other games, those other games are pretty much the scum of the mobile/facebook market that get all their appeal from the addicting grind they present. EE shouldn't be addicting because of the grind of the energy shop and the 30 second ads, it should be addicting because of the supposed endless amount of worlds that could be made. However, it's hard to make those endless worlds because of the grind that the shop is.

welp in my opinion, I wish I could go back to the regular EE, with candyland and factory pack and all that. I think that was when EE was much simpler, not when mrshoe added all those ugly blocks

791mAP8.png

#10 2015-02-16 18:03:38

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

I agree in that it's pretty overwhelming for new users -- heck, on my alts i pretty much just don't bother with buying anything because there's so many things and I don't have time for that.

So a solution would be... give new users a few action blocks and some of the older blocks? I can understand if people didn't want that (people are getting for free what I paid for!) but if they can deal with paying chat going up by $2.99, being free, being whatever it was + free for signing up for the newsletter, and then free again, in addition to the price changes for beta, I think people will be okay if everyone gets... like the factory pack or something.

Or a new block pack could be created that's something simple and given to people for free, like grass blocks were. People start out with what we had five years ago (but with more gates, invisible gravity arrows, and the brick/basic backgrounds) and... it basically says "invest a lot of time and effort into this game and you might have most of what the majority of players have".

So, maybe give all players 10 coin doors/gates, 2 portals, a spawn point, a check point, 10 spikes, and the glass pack. Something like that -- they have a taste of what they could do.

While we're at it, maybe separate the blocks tab into "blocks" and "action" -- put pretty much anything you have to buy more than once into action.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#11 2015-02-16 18:25:52

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Zoey2070 wrote:

I agree in that it's pretty overwhelming for new users -- heck, on my alts i pretty much just don't bother with buying anything because there's so many things and I don't have time for that.

So a solution would be... give new users a few action blocks and some of the older blocks? I can understand if people didn't want that (people are getting for free what I paid for!) but if they can deal with paying chat going up by $2.99, being free, being whatever it was + free for signing up for the newsletter, and then free again, in addition to the price changes for beta, I think people will be okay if everyone gets... like the factory pack or something.

Or a new block pack could be created that's something simple and given to people for free, like grass blocks were. People start out with what we had five years ago (but with more gates, invisible gravity arrows, and the brick/basic backgrounds) and... it basically says "invest a lot of time and effort into this game and you might have most of what the majority of players have".

So, maybe give all players 10 coin doors/gates, 2 portals, a spawn point, a check point, 10 spikes, and the glass pack. Something like that -- they have a taste of what they could do.

While we're at it, maybe separate the blocks tab into "blocks" and "action" -- put pretty much anything you have to buy more than once into action.

I support this idea.

gLjTZE1.png

#12 2015-02-16 19:15:11

ILoveBaconYUM

Maybe there could be something where if you play enough (30 days for example) you get x amount of portals and y amount of coindoors, etc. which, continuing from Zoey' s idea, could further compel newer users to be creative and thrilled for their new free items to arrive.

Or, newer users could have the shop be cheaper by 50% for their first month of playing.

May I also add that this problem could become more apparent during a competition. There will be a huge difference between newer players with fewer blocks and no skilled friends and older players with lots of blocks and lots of others to rely on for blocks.

#13 2015-02-16 19:20:52

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I think if a player plays for thirty days, it is pretty safe to assume the player likes the game and plans to play it for a while. I think this is mostly about the new players who have just signed up.

#14 2015-02-16 20:06:19, last edited by Bobithan (2015-02-17 03:11:43)

Bobithan

Adding a bit...

Energy is good for buying smileys, worlds, potions, and block packs. It makes each smiley, world, potion, and pack just that much more important to the user. A new user could never fathom having even just every smiley available, so being able to buy just a few smileys makes each one that much more precious to the user. Same goes to worlds, which makes it so more effort is put into each and every world they purchase.

There's no reason to limit the amount of action blocks that could be placed, though. That doesn't make the game more fun, it doesn't make you treat the limited blocks you use with care, it just limits your creative ability. There are so many cool concepts that could be done with high amounts of coin doors/gates, but almost nobody will be able to pull off those concepts because of these limitations. The shop limiting the amount of things you can use does nothing but harm the game. It's only there as a money grab and that's it.

What I personally would like to see is a complete overhaul on how limiting blocks works. The greatest solution would be to just raise the price of action blocks and make them infinite, but I'd be too hopeful for that to ever happen. (EDIT: Oh wait I'm an idiot)

---

N1KF wrote:

...I think this is mostly about the new players who have just signed up.

The problem with benefiting just new players is that it would just result in the entire system being a bait and switch to lure in people to play the game. That's sour. We don't just want people to play the game, we want people to create new and interesting world concepts. Limiting creativity is nothing but a detriment.

My 2,500th post!

aka towwl

Bobithan1424113579473404

Board footer