Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Alex

Gravedigging

This has become a serious problem lately, people have been reviving dead topics without any useful content, and it's honestly frustrating.

I think a rule should be added against pointless gravedigging, it might solve the problem(and/or rid us of some of the stupider members on this board).

Gravedigging is the same as necoring or posting in a dead thread, for those of you that don't know.

Wooted by:

#2 Before February 2015

Kaosslasher

Re: Gravedigging

Yeah You Should Get Like 3 Warnings Till Ban If Some One Breaks The Rules

#3 Before February 2015

Nin10mode

1.) Add a forum for locked topics to go to. (Call it graveyard or something.)
2.)Rule Suggestion:
DO NOT post in a resolved thread/thread that has gone *2 weeks without posts. Doing so will result in a warning. Keep bumping uselessly, and you will be punished with a one week ban. If you still continue, punishments will worsen. (1 week -> 2 weeks --> 1 month --> 3 months --> Permanent ban)

*:Exceptions-posts that contribute to the topic, and forum games topics.
These are just my ideas.

Last edited by Nin10mode (Nov 6 2010 8:28:44 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

This won't work for 1;

Some of the old threads have good ideas (mainly the suggestions groups) and should stay up. We don't need people repeating the same idea every week..

#5 Before February 2015

Alex

You just specify that contributing posts are ok.

Many of the people that gravedig aren't useful at all. Nin10mode's idea pretty much works.

#6 Before February 2015

musuki

Why is gravedigging worse than regular spam (which largely goes unnoticed)?

#7 Before February 2015

Flare

Old threads are left old for a reason, Musuki. They're worn out. It's dumb to bring back a dead thread.

#8 Before February 2015

musuki

Flare wrote:

Old threads are left old for a reason, Musuki. They're worn out. It's dumb to bring back a dead thread.

I disagree.

A thread may receive no attention for a while because all current ideas or opinions have been exhausted, but that doesn't mean new inspiration can't spark further discussion in a particular topic. If you start locking old threads and somebody wants to add something to its discussion, they're forced to make a new thread, which creates organisational problems for information and generally increases forum clutter.

I would even say threads which ask a specific question shouldn't be considered dead once the question is answered. A person may have the same, or a similar query, and can use an existing thread as a starting point to find the solution. Over time, a thread could contain all necessary information to answer a range of similar questions.

As for spam bumps, deal with the post itself, not the whole thread! Don't lock a thread because somebody necro'd it with a useless post; judge the post itself on its own merits and act upon the post/poster accordingly.  

I'm thinking about forums in general, so maybe these aren't issues here. Or maybe nobody really cares about this.

/opinion

Last edited by musuki (Nov 7 2010 5:50:40 pm)

#9 Before February 2015

Alex

I'll be watching for spam as well as unnecessary grave digging.

Many times the people that grave dig say nothing new, in an already resolved topic. Often someone doesn't notice the gravedig and people begin re-responding to the thread(this happened in the hate name changes topic), which is ok, unless it generally restates the previous conversation, in which case the thread should be locked.

Many gravedig posts aren't spam as much as useless, by the way.

#10 Before February 2015

RhazzleFrazzle

i know this will get me a warning or 2, but i just had to do it.

#11 Before February 2015

NikK

The irony.

#12 Before February 2015

musuki

What irony?

#13 Before February 2015

Monstar43

musuki wrote:

What irony?

The irony is this topic is about not gravedigging,and someone gravedug.

#14 Before February 2015

Jojomanjo

Ah man I dug a grave.

grave-digging.JPG

Last edited by Jojomanjo (Mar 6 2011 6:49:08 pm)

#15 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

brawler, this is a warning. Next person to post here gets 2.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#16 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

Locking this per request.

Alex 1423491055470377

Board footer