Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#676 Before February 2015

Loffer Logge

Re: Let's fix Parental Control

Deetz, the point isn't the money, it is paying the money over the internet.   Zoom, I disagree that a child couldn't mail a letter.   I could mail a letter when I was 10.   I knew where the stamps were kept and where the envelopes were, because I liked to write to my grandma.   Also, the child wouldn't need to forge a signature, they could just sign their own name, because no one would know if that was their parents signature or not.

#677 Before February 2015

Zoom

Loffer Logge wrote:

Deetz, the point isn't the money, it is paying the money over the internet.   Zoom, I disagree that a child couldn't mail a letter.   I could mail a letter when I was 10.   I knew where the stamps were kept and where the envelopes were, because I liked to write to my grandma.   Also, the child wouldn't need to forge a signature, they could just sign their own name, because no one would know if that was their parents signature or not.

Well IMO chat should just be free but of course we know Chris will never do that.

I think the issue that Chris is having is that he thinks chat should be something to be unlocked. The system is already flawed as it is, because saying people should have to pay is like saying people with credit cards/money are apparently smarter than those without. Clearly though this has not been proven true because of all the shared chat accounts. (Some of which were hacked, and others only created to wreak havoc)

I don't really think there will ever be a full-proof solution to the chat problem that is un-exploitable.

If Chris wants a real answer it should be to add a warning system. See EE should have a warning system, just like most RPG/ sandbox games. A set of rules should be given to each user on how the system works, upon the creation of their account. If one user abuses the system another user should be able to report them. If one person reports another and it's legit (like sharing accounts) they should be given a permanent warning. 3 of these warnings would add up to 1 perma-ban, and not just a regular ban but an IP ban like on the forums.

So say someone uses the system to report someone illegitimately, like a troll for example, the request for a warning should be denied and the person who sent the request should be given a warning, followed by an explanation of why the report was not legit.

All I'm saying is, I'm sure there are others, but EE is the only game I know of where you must pay for chat, and I, Zoom, find it most ridiculous. It's like saying we should pay to post on the forums. I also think if Chris really cared that much about chat being abused, be shouldn't have introduced it in the first place.

In b4 tl;dr

#678 Before February 2015

gregregreg
Website

Zoom wrote:

...I also think if Chris really cared that much about chat being abused, be shouldn't have introduced it in the first place.

Are you serious? I'm betting you are, but then again, think of EE without chat. Sure, we're definitely gonna have some trolls, and there is where your idea:

Zoom wrote:

If Chris wants a real answer it should be to add a warning system. See EE should have a warning system, just like most RPG/ sandbox games. A set of rules should be given to each user on how the system works, upon the creation of their account. If one user abuses the system another user should be able to report them. If one person reports another and it's legit (like sharing accounts) they should be given a permanent warning. 3 of these warnings would add up to 1 perma-ban, and not just a regular ban but an IP ban like on the forums. So say someone uses the system to report someone illegitimately, like a troll for example, the request for a warning should be denied and the person who sent the request should be given a warning, followed by an explanation of why the report was not legit.

comes in, I do like this idea, and I wish this would happen... but then it would come to the admins (Chris, Cyclone, Toby, RPGMaster2000, MrShoe, and any others that I happened to forget) in a majority vote. And honestly, I think that the admins could use their time on better things other than a vote.

Signature last updated 7 Feb 2020 2:08 AM PST (-8 UTC)

Basically inactive but I'll come in sometimes and yeah who the funk am I kidding I don't visit here anymore. check out my totally legit avi tho I made it when I was like 14
Best of luck to you all in your lives. Thanks for all the good times.

~greg³

#679 Before February 2015

Maloonkey

There's nothing wrong with paying for chat. Chris wants this to be as kid friendly as possible. I'd like to see something like a parental lock on TV's. The parent can go up and lock it for that child. Rather than unlocking chat, why not add something kids wouldn't want? *cough* parental chat lock. Something that catches a parents eye on the main-menu too so they can take a hint of "I can turn off chat?". Though this might be flawed, why not give it a go? Add your ideas onto this and we'll see where it goes. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#680 Before February 2015

AzurePudding

I think paying for chat is silly.   There are other free games that have free chat.   You can play EE on kongregate and have free chat.  

Chat should become free, and those who have chat already should get maybe 5 or 10 gems maybe.

There could be an option for filtering.   Strong, weak, and off.   Strong filtering filters all censored words along with similar versions (such as using $ for S and ! for I), weak would censor the "super bad words" but not words liek the d-word and h-word.   Off would not block any words.  

The option for censor control would be located in profile probably.  

It's the internet.   A few "bad words" should be the least of your worries of what children can see.   I've seen worlds with art of naked women, not censored, showing off everything.   That's allowed, but we're not allowed to say "damn."   What.

#681 Before February 2015

Maloonkey

AzurePudding wrote:

I think paying for chat is silly.   There are other free games that have free chat.   You can play EE on kongregate and have free chat.  

Chat should become free, and those who have chat already should get maybe 5 or 10 gems maybe.

There could be an option for filtering.   Strong, weak, and off.   Strong filtering filters all censored words along with similar versions (such as using $ for S and ! for I), weak would censor the "super bad words" but not words liek the d-word and h-word.   Off would not block any words.  

It's the internet.   A few "bad words" should be the least of your worries of what children can see.   I've seen worlds with art of naked women, not censored, showing off everything.   That's allowed, but we're not allowed to say "damn."   What.

Listen, it's not about whether you think the word is appropriate, it's about having a game people can play AS A FAMILY on the internet. Not all parents let their children browse on the internet freely. A "few bad words" can change someone if you aren't careful. Trust me. Besides, that could be abused such as the kid going in and turning it off.

#682 Before February 2015

AzurePudding

Maloonkey wrote:
AzurePudding wrote:

Listen, it's not about whether you think the word is appropriate, it's about having a game people can play AS A FAMILY on the internet. Not all parents let their children browse on the internet freely. A "few bad words" can change someone if you aren't careful. Trust me. Besides, that could be abused such as the kid going in and turning it off.

Again:

A few bad words is the least of your worries for what a child can see on the internet.   I've played other free games that don't have such a strict policy on chat.   Chat that is also free.   We shouldn't be inconvenienced because of "the kids" when there can be an option to turn it off liek I suggested.   If a kid turns it off?   Oh well.   If they want to see bad words that badly, they would just google some new bad words.   Google's got a safety feature on it.   Why not EE too.   Or should we change Google to where we have to pay 3 dollars to use it?

#683 Before February 2015

Vyvo

Allow payment via IDeal (the dutch people then wont have trouble to buy the chat, cuz from their 15th or 16th they get the 'pinpas', its similar to a creditcard, but it's via IDeal payment. Kids older than 15 years old wont have to ask their parents! Also try to find such payments for other countries <3

If someone already posted this idea before.. then I'm sorry, didnt had time to read all, was planning to, but 28 pages...

Last edited by Vyvo (Nov 21 2012 3:18:49 am)

#684 Before February 2015

sirmentio

Here Is my idea:
They are like reputation but they are called "Block-utation"
They are just like regular reputation but if you have higher than 1 you get chat, you start out with 100 Block-utations. Any time anyone can click your name and either give you 1 Block-Utation. If you have 0 you lose your chat, And then you can only chat with mods, World owners can see your Block-utation under your name so they know about your reputation in EE so they can't trust you with their codes. you can get more by helping in the EE community. So this is not just a "Parental control feature" this counts as trust points.

You see, without a chat in general you cannot tell the owner" OMG (insert name here) IS TROLLING! HELP!" so why not?

Last edited by sirmentio (Nov 27 2012 3:05:03 pm)

#685 Before February 2015

sirmentio wrote:

chat with mods

Poor MrShoe...

#686 Before February 2015

Hojaki

Whoah there. I just got a brilliant idea.

Idea 1: Everyone is able to chat, but the owner of the world that they chat in can mute one user in their world entirely (so not even the other users can see it) and anything that the muted user (say Bob) would not appear on the chat. Now this is a terrible idea, so that brings me on to the next one:

Idea 2: Everyone is able to chat, and has a mute and a report button. Anyone who breaks the chat rules (swearing at people, spamming etc.) would be reported by users and, if the users have enough sense, mute. That would solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it?

Kongregate can do chat, so why can't EE?

#687 Before February 2015

giftboxfan

A Possible way for Parental Controls or for Chat is that you have to enter a valid answer to a mathematical or geographic question that's answer is not on the internet. Or if you do something on Everybody Edits, such speak vulgar language to friends, which they should not do, give them 3 chances. If they have not learned their lesson, put back the 1 cent chat rule for that user. If they try to create another account to have a 3 more chances, allow them not to create another account on that computer. The other way is to put a restriction, like a filter, that every time they say or do something mean, they get kicked automatically from that world.

#688 Before February 2015

cooldude102

2 ideas:

Idea 1: World owner can say /mute (name) and their messages will not appear in the chat until the owner says /unmute (name) and to see the list of mutes is to say /mutedlist and a popup will come up with all the muted people, but they cannot mute mods.
And everyone can say /ignore (name) and their messages will NOT come up on the chat but that only affects your chat screen. And the same for mute, do /ignoredlist so you can see who you have ignored. Same for mute, you cannot ignore mods.

Idea 2: Set the chat cost to 4 cents instead of 3 dollars so you would gain a 1 cent profit.

#689 Before February 2015

NR2001

There is no way to make sure chat isn't kept a secret. He's asking for the impossible.

#690 Before February 2015

Kangxp

I think they should enable chat using GEMS(around 125), not real money.:)

derp
go watch mlp
everyone will be proud of u
just search "mlp sweep"

#691 Before February 2015

Krock

Kangxp wrote:

The money is the point on these 3$ !!
So, only if your parents allow you to have chat, else you could buy it by SuperRewards. (or other not-working-for-me money sites)

They should do the cost again to some cents, I don't care if PP has problems with that.

Last edited by Krock (Jan 2 2013 8:34:17 am)

#692 Before February 2015

Vyecunkmsgvyru

Did you Know? not your name all agian...:/

#693 Before February 2015

sirmentio

Kangxp wrote:

Gems Cost Money, So you Are Wrong, So you still need to pay money to do this...

#694 Before February 2015

SeymourG

WEll technically, you could get gems for free, but it takes forever and you'd get so manyy viruses. x.x

#695 Before February 2015

Kangxp

Ok..:/
Everyone has chat. Someone will be the owner if the real one is not around. If some one says a vulgar word, the owner would notice it and report to a mod about that guy. If the same guy is reported 3 times in the same room, he will be banned from using chat forever. And, b4 the owner leaves, he must appoint someone else using a command, or else a random player will be chosen.

derp
go watch mlp
everyone will be proud of u
just search "mlp sweep"

#696 Before February 2015

rdococ

Ideas
Idea 1:
Everybody begins with chat. If they cuss badly with certain phrases such as '[f-word] you', more than 10 times, then they are banned from chat. Meanwhile during these really bad cusses, they should change:
f-word -> some random complementing term, such as 'I love'
b-word -> some random funny term, such as 'herpy derp'
If they cuss slightly, the cuss will be replaced with suitable alternatives without banning.
d-word -> 'oh my god' or 'Herpy!'
c-word -> 'chicken' or 'god' or 'rubbish' or 'derp'

Idea 2:
Nobody begins with chat.
Have a little test with a chat AI on a test EE world: there are 5 levels.
Level 1: AI is really nice
Level 2: AI is nice but may troll as a result of anger
Level 3: AI is moderate, may troll as a result of sadness
Level 4: AI is naughty, trolls almost all the time
Level 5: AI is very naughty, cusses & trolls almost all the time
If the testee cusses badly too much or spams, they finish. Based on the time they finished:
If the testee finishes during level 4, then they will have chat until they cuss or spam too much.
If the testee finishes during level 5, then they have chat forever.
If the testee passes level 5, then they are awarded the Chat AND the Friendly God Mode - a special white (colorable via potions) version of the moderator glow. This is purely to show their friendliness.
The chat test costs 250 energy to try, but it can be worth it.

Idea 3:
Add most of Idea 1 to Idea 2, so there is a filter with the chat test. The filter would filter AI swears too.

Idea 4:
Ask Club Penguin or some other game with chat for everyone.

#697 Before February 2015

sirmentio

rdococ wrote:

Ideas
Idea 1:
Everybody begins with chat. If they cuss badly with certain phrases such as '[f-word] you', more than 10 times, then they are banned from chat. Meanwhile during these really bad cusses, they should change:
f-word -> some random complementing term, such as 'I love'
b-word -> some random funny term, such as 'herpy derp'
If they cuss slightly, the cuss will be replaced with suitable alternatives without banning.
d-word -> 'oh my god' or 'Herpy!'
c-word -> 'chicken' or 'god' or 'rubbish' or 'derp'

Idea 2:
Nobody begins with chat.
Have a little test with a chat AI on a test EE world: there are 5 levels.
Level 1: AI is really nice
Level 2: AI is nice but may troll as a result of anger
Level 3: AI is moderate, may troll as a result of sadness
Level 4: AI is naughty, trolls almost all the time
Level 5: AI is very naughty, cusses & trolls almost all the time
If the testee cusses badly too much or spams, they finish. Based on the time they finished:
If the testee finishes during level 4, then they will have chat until they cuss or spam too much.
If the testee finishes during level 5, then they have chat forever.
If the testee passes level 5, then they are awarded the Chat AND the Friendly God Mode - a special white (colorable via potions) version of the moderator glow. This is purely to show their friendliness.
The chat test costs 250 energy to try, but it can be worth it.

Idea 3:
Add most of Idea 1 to Idea 2, so there is a filter with the chat test. The filter would filter AI swears too.

Idea 4:
Ask Club Penguin or some other game with chat for everyone.

Idea 2 is Awesome! If only MrShoe wasn't cheap, then he would implement that...

#698 Before February 2015

abrar11

Conary wrote:
alex wrote:
Conary wrote:

I am 15 and I do see why I am being restricted from using a "chat room" which I have since I was 10-11 because I was responsible, especially one I paid for.

Oh, yes, this is a great point. I've been using AIM since I was about 10, too.

Perhaps, a warning system, you swear three times and you lose chat ability for a minimal amount of time, the progresses in length. That way the punishment is focused on the swearers. The warnings expire after 24 hours, and would work something like this:

1. Warning the first time.
2. Second warning(perhaps taking away energy, or slowing it until the warning goes away?)
3. Banned from chat for 30 minutes.
4. Banned from chat for 1 hour.
5. banned from chat for 5 hours
6. Banned from chat for 1 day.
7. Banned from chat for 3 days.
8. Banned from chat for 1 week.

And, only one warning would expire a day, so if i swear 4 times(with some delay for temporary chat bans), the next day it still counts as if I have 3 swears.

You'd have to add any variations of the words for this system to work, including spaced out swears(l i k e   t h i s), and typos.

As much as I don't like censorship, this idea seems to be a reasonable alternative to the 1cent system at the moment, as it's relocating the punishment to the people committing the act that is unwanted.

Actually, I think swear bans should count towards severity, such as saying "(d-word) it" would get you banned for less time then saying "you worthless *racial term*" and also after a certain amount of bans, you would lose the privilege to chat forever.

cant they just keep making new accounts so it should result in a computer ban then ip ban?

#699 Before February 2015

Redhat

Let's explain this:

In·ter·net
noun
a vast computer network linking smaller computer networks worldwide (usually preceded by the   ). The Internet includes commercial, educational, governmental, and other networks, all of which use the same set of communications protocols.

com·mu·ni·ca·tion
noun
1. the act or process of communicating; fact of being communicated.
2. the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, or signs.
3. something imparted, interchanged, or transmitted.
4. a document or message imparting news, views, information, etc.
5. passage, or an opportunity or means of passage, between places.

If any parent don't want your childrens to communicate, they shouldn't let them use the computer.
remove the parental control. JUST remove.

LEVfOrl.png

#700 Before February 2015

giftboxfan

I think a good solution to this Everybody Edits problem is that once the player gets chat, they can't chat until they reach level 9 or 10 in the magic class. And the coins will go down everyday, making it impossible for them to get chat if they don't play for a month.

Or they have to play for a certain amount of time, like 6 months. Then they would be given a temporary chat. If they didn't handle it well, they couldn't have chat without paying for it. Easy.

But after they get chat, they can't use swear words or be abusive to other smileys, like saying they are you know what. After they use a swear word, there will be a filter, and they get three warnings. After they use up their warnings, depending on how abusive: Not Good, account banned. Definitely Not Good, account banned and not being able to chat at all. Just Plain Awful, banned on that computer.

It might be an efficient system.

Last edited by giftboxfan (Apr 12 2013 4:20:55 pm)

Chris 142393302928403

Board footer