Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#651 Before February 2015

ABC Boy

Re: Let's fix Parental Control

TVStranger wrote:

Hello, i'm HabboGame and i'm sad because i want to chat with my friends.
<!-- You can! Just invite people to be your friend, or send a request to someone else, so you can chat! -->

I'm 11 years old,
This is only a game, why we need to pay for games?Why?
<!-- If we ask them, they mostly answer with this excuse: Need money to get their salaries. -->
Ok, I asked my dad if I can get chat, he says no because it is just a tiny game, So I think we should get chat for free.
Please Chris, can you help me? We need to stop this spam-load of message just talking about chat , please stop the Parental Control and make it be free, that's what I only wanted.
Please Chris, i want chat so much but my dad don't want to pay for a game.

You should send what you said to <a class="__cf_email__" href="/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection" data-cfemail="8deee5ffe4fecde1e2e1a3e9e6a3">[email  protected]</a><script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* <![CDATA[ */!function(){try{var t="currentScript"in document?document.currentScript:function(){for(var t=document.getElementsByTagName("script"),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute("cf-hash"))return t[e]}();if(t&&t.previousSibling){var e,r,n,i,c=t.previousSibling,a=c.getAttribute("data-cfemail");if(a){for(e="",r=parseInt(a.substr(0,2),16),n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)i=parseInt(a.substr(n,2),16)^r,e+=String.fromCharCode(i);e=document.createTextNode(e),c.parentNode.replaceChild(e,c)}}}catch(u){}}();/* ]]> */</script>
You have exactly same problem I had.
I like in HK and the currency , requires 10 cents instead of 1 cent for chat.
I've checked Venezuela's currency and it takes 21 for a chat.
Our parents won't let us to buy it because it is just a game.

#652 Before February 2015

imgood9

I just had an idea when reading the blog.
A child and his/her parent could stand in front of a webcam and say that the child wants chat. The parent would have to stand right next to the child, in order to prove that the parent approves of the child's request for chat. If the user is an adult (some creep), then the adult will just show his face and say that he wants to chat, and Chris will decide if he looks and sounds like a real adult.

#653 Before February 2015

Urban

imgood9 wrote:

I just had an idea when reading the blog.
A child and his/her parent could stand in front of a webcam and say that the child wants chat... ect.

I don't see this happening. There are many ways even I can cheat this system.

Last edited by Urban (Aug 9 2012 4:59:08 pm)

#654 Before February 2015

imgood9

List the ways you can cheat the system, and we can all come up with a solution. Too many people point out too little flaws.

#655 Before February 2015

pop512

Chris wrote:
133 wrote:

I'm 20, yet I do not have a personal credit card or PayPal account, while there are many people under 18 who do.
So you can guess I'm not very fond of this system.
I'l give it a shot:
Ask for the birth date first. If the person is under 15 (or whatever age you want it to be), they'll have to enable chat with the 1 cent method.

If they say they're older, give a simple mathematical equation that should be common sense for people over 15, but which looks like gibberish to kids. If they can't solve it, they'll have to enable with the 1 cent method again.
This isn't really the same as a simple quiz, as the answer is impossible to look up on the internet. And to be able to solve it, they'd need to learn the basics first.

Also, make clear on the page with the equation it's to verify age / enable chat, in case they ask the parents to solve it.

Regarding the quiz, I am constantly amazed at how clever our children here are and as soon a puzzle has been solved by one, everyone will know the answer.

If you are above 18 and have this issue, you are more than welcome to send me an email at chris at everybodyedits.com with some form of documentation and I will give to you for free.

and most computers have calculators now adays

#656 Before February 2015

Robandrich =_=

takoman02 why do you have green letters does that mean your a helper like this green letters - helper ? weird i dont know de awnser :/

#657 Before February 2015

Sixty Seven

Robandrich =_= wrote:

takoman02 why do you have green letters does that mean your a helper like this green letters - helper ? weird i dont know de awnser :/

U are such a nub he has a green name because he is a forum moderator.   Holy cow you really need to be updated...

#658 Before February 2015

main_gi

pop512 wrote:
Chris wrote:
133 wrote:

I'm 20, yet I do not have a personal credit card or PayPal account, while there are many people under 18 who do.
So you can guess I'm not very fond of this system.
I'l give it a shot:
Ask for the birth date first. If the person is under 15 (or whatever age you want it to be), they'll have to enable chat with the 1 cent method.

If they say they're older, give a simple mathematical equation that should be common sense for people over 15, but which looks like gibberish to kids. If they can't solve it, they'll have to enable with the 1 cent method again.
This isn't really the same as a simple quiz, as the answer is impossible to look up on the internet. And to be able to solve it, they'd need to learn the basics first.

Also, make clear on the page with the equation it's to verify age / enable chat, in case they ask the parents to solve it.

Regarding the quiz, I am constantly amazed at how clever our children here are and as soon a puzzle has been solved by one, everyone will know the answer.

If you are above 18 and have this issue, you are more than welcome to send me an email at chris at everybodyedits.com with some form of documentation and I will give to you for free.

and most computers have calculators now adays

Meh, I would just study up on sines and cosines. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#659 Before February 2015

Cornman101

What Alex had in mind at the beginning of the topic (8'th post from top) really got my attention! So i agree for the swearing bans (you swear alot, u get baned) and the unpaid chat put together would really save me! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#660 Before February 2015

BlazingScore004

Oh! Oh! Alex's idea (from the very first page) about the quizzes is also cool.
You can use questions an elementary student (6th grade below) doesn't know yet, but in a more complicated and creative way so it cannot be searched through Google.

I'll post an example later because I have to leave and go to church.
I'm 14 years anyway and I'm becoming 15 in October.
And I still can't think of an example.

And yeah, E-Mail me for reply : <a class="__cf_email__" href="/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection" data-cfemail="0e6c626f746760697d6d617c6b4e776f666161206d6163">[email  protected]</a><script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* <![CDATA[ */!function(){try{var t="currentScript"in document?document.currentScript:function(){for(var t=document.getElementsByTagName("script"),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute("cf-hash"))return t[e]}();if(t&&t.previousSibling){var e,r,n,i,c=t.previousSibling,a=c.getAttribute("data-cfemail");if(a){for(e="",r=parseInt(a.substr(0,2),16),n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)i=parseInt(a.substr(n,2),16)^r,e+=String.fromCharCode(i);e=document.createTextNode(e),c.parentNode.replaceChild(e,c)}}}catch(u){}}();/* ]]> */</script>

#661 Before February 2015

RDash

@linkz0rs
The answer was 18. I'm not saying that everyone will know each and every question (that was ~11th grade math), but there would be an option just like the Recaptcha images that allows you to try a different problem.

Now I'm not saying that every problem must be math; there are plenty of science, language, etc possibilities for those stronger in other subjects. Obviously for many word problems, the answer could be looked up.

Important: Any photo verification is impossible to use. No matter what you are forced to do, whether you have to put a shoe on your head or whatever, it is always possible (and in most cases easy) to significantly alter the image to show what is asked. Not to mention the privacy rights that would be violated by being forced to show yourself in able to chat in a game! Pictures are a no-go.

As someone had mentioned earlier, it is impossible to meet all of Chris's requirements. There is no flaw-proof method of fixing this problem.

Last edited by RDash (Aug 23 2012 9:18:42 am)

#662 Before February 2015

Loffer Logge

The idea of a question or quiz is not a reliable way of determining age, because it would have to be difficult enough that no one below an 18 year old would be able to solve it.   The problem with that is people who are below 18 but have parents who will let them chat.   I know my parents would be completely lost with 12th grade or college level problems, and I assume many other people's parents would be too.   Also, the level of questions that people who are 18 can answer varies greatly, so some smart 15 year old's might be able to solve a question some 20 year old's couldn't.   So, therefore,

Many people wrote:
It is impossible to meet all of Chris's requirements. There is no flaw-proof method of fixing this problem.

#663 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Wow. Chat is $3 now.

There goes me getting my alts chat.

MrShoe is now officially an idiot.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#664 Before February 2015

Zoom

^ If you read on the blog,

MrShoe wrote:

We have had some issues that people found it ?fishy? to be paying 1 cent for something. Also PayPal has sometimes contacted us suspecting fraud. So from now on, to enable chat you have to pay 3 dollars, but will be given 50 gems (which would normally cost 5 dollars).   We hope this new deal works out better for everyone.

However even in such circumstances, I too agree $3 is too much for a simple chat ability. (Even if you get 50 gems too)

Last edited by Zoom (Aug 24 2012 4:41:49 am)

#665 Before February 2015

olegoleg123

Previous message is 666th!!!
My suggestion:
NO parental control;
Free chat   4 everyone
Swear filters
Mute and ban commands

#666 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Hello, Julian. This is a major concern of mine regarding Everybody Edits and I hope you read and consider my suggestion. Making chat cost three dollars is ridiculous. Chat wasn't supposed to cost any money in the first place. There are many, many suggestions on this page on the fan forums: http://eeforumify.com/viewtopic.php?id=1773 Please don't neglect to read them. They are completely valid, and in my opinion very good suggestions. There are almost 700 posts, but there are great suggestions on just the first page so it doesn't take much work. I know you are a very busy man and I appreciate you reading this. Please take this into mind as you've upset many people including myself (even though I already have chat).

I'll tell you when (or if) he responds.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#667 Before February 2015

Legoking2000

How about you send a conformation email.   This way young kids must get there parents conformation through email.   If the child has an email account then the parents would probably check over to make sure this all right (so the link needs to have a cancel chat ability and the ability login with a password for chat).   If the parents to preside over the chat ability I'm sure they don't care if their child has chat anyway.

Last edited by Ikaros (Aug 24 2012 6:14:03 pm)

#668 Before February 2015

BlazingScore004

So here's another IDEA that came into my mind.

Everyone has chat enabled in default.
If parents do care about their child receiving negative language from others and want to disable chat, they should enable the parental control and input a password.

Re-enabling the chat access requires the parent's password, which the child needs the parent's permission to enable it.

It is very easy and cash-free.

Applying my suggestion might refund people who paid for chat or will get gems.

//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
Hope this works now.

#669 Before February 2015

Urban

Chris wrote:

1. It may not be possible for a child to keep this feature secret from their parents.

It is a good idea, but it fails to complete this requirement. I do believe it is the parent's responsibility to make sure their child is safe on the internet. However, these are Chris' rules, not mine.

#670 Before February 2015

DJDavid98
Website

People doesn't seem to understand this is not going anywhere. Chris DOES NOT look at this thread, neither do any of the other in game Admins. Why even bother posting here? Srsly.

#671 Before February 2015

collectionshower

1: It may not be possible for a child to keep this feature secret from their parents.
2: It must rely on a secure method of verifying age as people lie when simply asked.
3: It may not be possible for a child to cheat. Simple quizzes etc are not secure.
4: It must work in the free game as well, as I am merging them back together shortly.

Now... I thought of ONE way to actually do it. But it may also be a bit.. Weird. Usually you use Credit Cards to buy gems/items, right? So, my idea is any account that has bought something in the past VIA PayPal will be eligible to unlock the chat. How does it work? It sends an email to the PayPal Credit Card owner, stating that chat is pending to be enabled and will send a unique link. Upon clicking the link, chat will be in the shop for 1 energy.

1: It may not be possible for a child to keep this feature secret from their parents.
Not possible already.

2: It must rely on a secure method of verifying age as people lie when simply asked.
Anyone above 18, if I am not mistaking, has a credit card, making this method work.

3: It may not be possible for a child to cheat. Simple quizzes etc are not secure.
I do not see how this can be cheated.

4: It must work in the free game as well, as I am merging them back together shortly.
Alright, a bit faulty there.

#672 Before February 2015

Loffer Logge

It is a good idea, but it defeats the purpose of not paying for chat.   If someone was already going to buy gems, then they would most likely have no problem with buying chat.   It saves the money of buying chat, but the actual money is not the problem most people have with the current system.   You also have to remember that on Kongregate, people don't buy gems directly with their credit card, but buy them indirectly with Kreds.   Kongregate does not share credit card information with the games, and Kreds can be obtained for free by completing special offers.

#673 Before February 2015

Zoom

I, zoom, am also a frequent visitor of the site "neopets" , and on such a website, if you wish to post on the forums and are under 18, you must print a consent form, have a parent sign in, then mail it to a specific address.

I do believe this method to be most efficient, because even if another child could forge a signature, I doubt they would be able to also obtain a envelope, stamp, and address sticker and then put it in a local mailbox.

I also believe that, if Chris did not want to handle this himself, perhaps he could put it in care of the company that also does the updates? It could look a bit like this:

" I -insert parent name here- give consent to -insert child name here- to have the chat ability , and I know all the consequences of this action.

X -insert username here-
X -insert parent signature here- "

obviously this example is short, and very un-informative, but perhaps a similar solution can be used to give non-chats chat?

#674 Before February 2015

Deetz

But you still need to pay, in postage and such.

#675 Before February 2015

Zoom

A postage stamp from my area costs 46 cents I believe, which is much cheaper than $3, and if you don't have a printer at home just go to a local library.

Last edited by Zoom (Aug 27 2012 4:23:10 pm)

Chris 142393302928403

Board footer