Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#376 Before February 2015

main_gi

Re: Let's fix Parental Control

Ack-
If you used the "F-" swear it says 'i have no friends'?!? That would be like:
You are a I have no friends.er do you know that?
Now THAT looks dumb.
I'd rather pay 1 cent. I don't punish the idea, but the execution just makes me want to pay a cent instead.
Plus, this also disagrees with EG1's idea. Sorry about it, but I am happy with that.

The SafeChat list should be like this:

Questions - Who
- How
- Why
Explanation/Argument/Answer - I
- No/Bad/Idea
- Yup
- Yeah?
- Yes
- Maybe
- Nah/Doesn't Work/Really
- He
- She
- It
- They/Them
Not falling for it! - Not falling for it!
- No way.
- will never do that
EE Talk - Chat
- Safechat
- Fullchat
Numbers - 1
TURN CAPS LOCK ON
(Too long, eh?)

Last edited by main_gi (Jun 23 2011 7:37:56 pm)

#377 Before February 2015

222hockey222

We could have a Quick Chat for young kids where there is a list of words that someone came up with then they can choose the words they want to say.

#378 Before February 2015

Greenzoid2

222hockey222 wrote:

We could have a Quick Chat for young kids where there is a list of words that someone came up with then they can choose the words they want to say.

read the posts above you

And I dont see the point of a quick chat system. It would be useful for basic trolls asking for the code and thats it.

#379 Before February 2015

Krazyman50

calculusguy wrote:

I'm not too sure, but how about a number game? It will be at the registration screen. For example,

EE:Lets play a simple number game to get you registered.
EE:To start remember your age.
EE:Multiply it by 3.
EE:Subtract 6.
EE:Divide by 3.
EE:Add 5.
EE:Now please type this number in the box below.
*Displays a box*
*Waits for you to enter a number*
EE:Great! Now pick a username...

The formula to find his age for this case is subtract 3 from the number in the box. The numbers of course could be randomized, but the person's intermediate number should be no more than ~20 or 30 if the starting age is about 10. Little kids won't be able to solve this equation, which in this case was
(3*age-6)/3+5. The game should only display only one line at once so 11 or 12 year-olds don't try to remember the equation and solve it.

Also, there should be a button saying, "Click me if you mess up or forget your number". This should be clicked when you mess up or forget your number(lol). Everytime you click it, the equation should change. If you clicked it 3 times, a message pops up saying "You needed to restart 3 times; please ask your parent for help". on the 5th time, it will say "Even with your parent you cannot do this; chat has been disabled." (to prevent people who still guess).

If the age is less than 18 (or whatever), you should have to pay 1 cent.
If it is greater than 18, chat should be enabled with a warning system from this thread.
If age cannot be determined (by restarting 5 times), 1 cent for chat should also be enabled.

P.S. I did some number tricks like this when I was in 4th grade.

I might add on later so i don't lose this post //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

And just what would happen if a 5 year old wants an account?

"Oh my goooosh wat iz diss I cannt muuultipliiy or diviide wat doo I do nao?!"

#380 Before February 2015

Jasonma

problem:
yeah the 5 year old thing.
chat is being restricted to people under 18 and i learned my algebra and pre-algebra skills when i was like... 10.

i dont think this thread is getting anywhere... people are either trying to find ways for chris to enable everyone's chat or are suggesting ideas which will not work... chris has a policy that is way too strict and he needs to loosen it up... look at all the other games! anyone can chat just by putting in any age. the makers of the game aren't too strict about that -_- i just wish he changed this...

#381 Before February 2015

olegoleg123

Alex wrote:
Peber wrote:

The only problem with that is some people may find it funny to report messages and when you have the amount of players versus the amount of moderators, well lets say they have lives and probably couldn't deal with that.

Give 100 point warning for false reports.

Also, making this game 13+ is a horrible idea, EE would lose >50% of its users.

Agreed.

#382 Before February 2015

mode123456789

Danni wrote:
Twipply wrote:

Tell the parents complaining to grow up, stop being stupid, and remove the 'parental control'.   There is no other fix you should be interested in.   If you really want to do something, then give your users the ability to mute people.   You may also want to get some useful mods with the ability to remove chat privileges.

I do agree with having a mute ability. That would be more useful..

Conary wrote:

But wait, most swears are blocked, so that would mean there is no reason to report someone for something that is blocked, the only reason to report is if they get around a chat filter. Also I think that "WTF" and "GTFO" should be left alone by censors if they are upgraded because technically they already are censored.

Eh? I don't have beta, so I haven't ever experienced the chat, but you're saying that swear words are in fact already filtered? That...kinda sucks. Some people use swear words in everyday speech and asking them to pull in the reigns is just...eh.

alex wrote:

Perhaps, a warning system, you swear three times and you lose chat ability for a minimal amount of time, the progresses in length. That way the punishment is focused on the swearers.

I don't know...I mean some people are just naturally vulgar when communicating through text, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they mean harm...
Now. I have an idea. But it hinges on whether Chris, as the creator/admin of EE, can actually go and modify individual accounts. If he can, this is my idea(though, it way come at a cost of Chris getting swamped with emails):
Simple have it known that if parents do not want their child using the chat feature, they can email Chris with their concerns, and the name of their child's account. Then, Chris could just go and modify that person's account so that the chat feature would be disabled. Though, there would most likely be an influx of fake emails, with people going "oh no no no, please keep the chat for my child!!", but I mean, that only makes it obvious who's trying to keep the chat for themselves. Which is why it's important that it's stressed that if the parents DON'T want their children using the chat feature, they should contact Chris. And one might say, "well, what if the parents are concerned, but they don't know the name of their child's EE account?" Chances are, if they know about Everybody Edits and its chat feature, then at the very least, they would know their child's account name. But if they really don't, then it's kind of up to the parents to find out the name, and if the child is unwilling to give it up, then they get grounded or whatever it is parents do when trying to get a username out of their kid. >_>
*edit*
But then again, if Chris could individually modify accounts, then it's reasonable that he would be able to see the account's IP address...so all the parent would have to do would be to tell him their IP address and he could look it up..
...Of course, this all depends on whether Chris CAN actually go and modify individual accounts. If he can't, then I got nothing. :/

but if someone got mad at this person he could say that he was the parent and say he did not want him to have chat

#383 Before February 2015

Totalolness

I dont know where my original idea went, (i thought it was one of the best on here) but heree is a safe chat/ standard chat hybrid idea:

when you type something in have a list of guesses of the word your typing like :types: t-e... and the list pops up, tell, teller, team, tee, ect...

to be honest my original idea adressed most the problems on here and had a system that didn't require a huge list, just a little scripting work required but aparently it got deleted.

#384 Before February 2015

jakery

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but why do we need an age verification system at all?

-We all know that kids are still getting on without adult permission (surprise surprise)
-People already circumvent the restriction with TinyChat.
-I cannot think of another game that restricts chat to 18+
-Parents are responsible for what their children see on the Internet; not developers.

Unless there is some obscure child protection law, and this restriction is a legal CYA, I see no reason to keep the restriction at all.

#385 Before February 2015

The First Gamer

Obviously, this "parental control" is just too limiting, and it's killing possible players.
All we need is a ignore and ban commands, and we can give chat to all registered accounts >_>

#386 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Problem: People can reference to inappropriate things for younger people to see
Solution: More mods, ability to perma-kick, ability to report.

Problem: Immature people spam the chat with their stupidity and ignorance.
Solution: Mute button.

Problem: We have the ability to give away our account info through chat
Solution: Like facebook, you can't sign in from an unfamiliar location [IP address] without some type of confirmation. Copy facebook so only your IP address can log into your account.

Problem: People us WPE pro to flood the chat
Solution: Make the flood-prevention system a little more secure, so that you can't use WPE pro to get passed it.

Problem: People can come back once you kick them
Solution: Perma-ban option.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#387 Before February 2015

rob1nfly

Do you even see anyone saying anything on chat but ... ?:rolleyes::rolleyes: Just get a Kongregate account, go to EE, sign in with your EE account and there's chat right next to you.

#388 Before February 2015

epicstonemason

How do people get in a bar or liquor store? A DRIVERS LICENSE.

#389 Before February 2015

minibros

because you have to pay for the chat //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile I'm from mexico

Ee could be a social network

Last edited by minibros (Jul 5 2011 10:52:02 pm)

#390 Before February 2015

DryKirby

The least they could do is let us SEE the chat. It's annoying when an owner of a level comes along, you see a chat bubble, and then deletes what you made. It'd be much easier for everyone on EE if you could see what people were chatting. E.G. If you are playing on a boss level, the owner could tell you when he's going to open the gate, or tell you when he's going on or off... Also, about "OMG it has bad content!". I'm 11 now, and I've seen worse than anything that could possibly be done on EE. So they drop an F-Bomb, draw something inappropriate, whatever. The youngest of people (who know how to use stuff like Facebook, at least) here are usually 8-10, and they've usually already seen this stuff before. Believe me: I know 4-7 year-olds that already cuss... The point is, at least let everyone see chat bubbles, and lift the parental control, because kids have already seen worse.

Kongregate could be used, but what about people with beta? Either (A) Put EE Beta on Kongregrate or (B) just get chat with Beta. But how can we with this freaking Parental Controls?! Personally, my parents don't want me to get chat because they think you'll take their credit card info or something. So I'm stuck without chat, and EE without chat can be kind of confusing, annoying, and boring.

Maybe for little kids you can do something like Nickelodeon does, type in a few letters to get results from a bank of words. E.G. F gives you stuff like Final, Four, Fan, or Frost. FR gives you Free, Frost, Fruit, or Fret. Then you can select fruit, and type in CA and get cake. And then you get fruit cake! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Anyway, I could go on for 20 more pages of complaining about chat. But bottom line: Let us see chat and/or lift the parental controls. Because most stuff on EE is probably less vulgar than what is used in normal conversations today.

if a girl does not have yuri then she is lost

but that same girl can be lost in the yuri

#391 Before February 2015

xXExpress0Xx

You guys don't understand the problem. The problem isn't not allowing young children to chat. The problem we are trying to solve is preventing chat abuse, so none of these quizzes are even worth mentioning. I don't think the current plan is foolproof either, simply because I can just as easily ask my friend to pay for my chat, w/o my parents even knowing I asked him.

My solution therefore is simple: Add mods. And I know there are already 4-5 administrators, but that is simply not enough, for a game that has at least 40 worlds running at once. Chris has to implement some type of moderator system that has some of the features admins have, but is not as powerful, and will be used simply for preventing abuse. At least 5 more mods, will definitely make a difference.

Last edited by xXExpress0Xx (Jul 7 2011 6:21:56 pm)

#392 Before February 2015

JBG

how about having chat open for everyone and just to put a simple program in the game the game that reads in swear words and it would pop up a message on your screen that says oops you tryed to swear you have been given one warning *chat disabeld for 1 minute* and if you try to swear again *you tryed to swear now you have been given 2 warnings and   a 'x' long time ban in chat* just an idea

because i think its not a problem for people to make that system //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

ohh and by the way my first post //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile:D

Last edited by JBG (Jul 9 2011 2:40:03 pm)

#393 Before February 2015

xXExpress0Xx

How would he know what bad words to put? There are a lot of those...

#394 Before February 2015

Echo!

^ why don't he help us contribute to the list of swear word?

#395 Before February 2015

Sythe5665

i say:

1 day
2 days
1 week
2 weeks
1 month
1 year
2 years
30 years
perma ban

#396 Before February 2015

Koto

a 30 years ban? thats just unnecessary...

#397 Before February 2015

ARN64

But I can't understand: If the parent don't care what their kids do on the internet it means taht the parent don't care if the kid has chat or no... So, I think he parents that don't want they kids to chat will give chris an email and he'll block the children's chat...

#398 Before February 2015

MadReaper

That would be too many e-mails.
And children can play the game without telling their parents.

Last edited by MadReaper (Jul 10 2011 3:24:58 am)

#399 Before February 2015

xXExpress0Xx

@ARN64,
That is a very could idea. I don't know how I didn't think of that myself.

@MadReaper,
Well, Chris somehow managed the fan smiley, and that was regular mail. So I do think he could manage e-mail. As for the second comment, well children don't usually have their own computer, and hence they need to ask their parents permission to use the computer. Parents could blocks inappropriate stuff, or just simply watch after what their kids are doing in the internet, so that if they don't mind the child playing Everybody Edits, but they do mind their child chatting on it.

The only problem I see with ARN64's suggestion, is that how would Chris know if it was the parents who sent him the email?

#400 Before February 2015

MadReaper

Well, I have my own computer.
And even if you don't have a own one, you can play games without your parents know that. Every heard of private tab? And if you press F11 the tab bar disappears, just switch to Club Penguin and press F11 when your parents come in.
And think: How many players have the fan smiley? And how many players don't have chat?
Alright, for some (like me) the verifying doesn't work, and some parents are too lazy to enable chat, but there still would be many of mails, and you know how lazy Chris is.

Chris 142393302928403

Board footer