Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

thecoolguy

Cannibalism

I had yesterday talked about cannibalism at philosophy, and this was something that had my interest.
I'd like to know what other people think about it.

__
You are stuck with 12 people on an island and there's no food around.
It will take 3 weeks for a boat to arrive, so the only possible way of surviving is to consume one of the people on the island.

Would it be morally permissible if the person that's going to get eaten has no family? Or does every life have the same value?

If everyone would draw a straw, and the loser changes his mind, are you still allowed to eat him?

If the person would give a consent, is cannibalism allowed?

And now the same situation with only 2 people, 1 live for the other, would that count the same, or is 1 life not valuable enough to take another.
__

I'd say that it would be allowed if you'd save other people, it's 1 dead, or all.

Last edited by thecoolguy (Mar 8 2013 3:38:19 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

Arceus64

Re: Cannibalism

I believe in the idea of treating everyone with the same respect and diginity you would want.

So no, I frown upon the idea of cannibalism, even with its small advantages.

And why not purify the water surrounding the island?

#3 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Arceus64 wrote:

I believe in the idea of treating everyone with the same respect and diginity you would want.

I'd eat them.

Also, how do you propose they do that?

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#4 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

first one to die of starvation gets eaten. I wouldnt kill an alive person.

#5 Before February 2015

Arceus64

Zoey2070 wrote:
Arceus64 wrote:

I'd eat them.

Purify the water? Take out your Brita filter, take the ocean's water, and follow instructions on your Brita filter.

#6 Before February 2015

Deetz

D-rock2308 wrote:

first one to die of starvation gets eaten. I wouldnt kill an alive person.

Yes.

Arceus64 wrote:
Zoey2070 wrote:
Arceus64 wrote:

I'd eat them.

Purify the water? Take out your Brita filter, take the ocean's water, and follow instructions on your Brita filter.

And you can use the leftover salt to make jerky!

#7 Before February 2015

thecoolguy

Because salt and jerky are made from the same substance.

And water doesn't fulfill the need for food.
Someone has to sacrifice/die.

#8 Before February 2015

SilverStar
EE Homegirl

...He could have meant add the salt to the human meat...

1oGNJTH.gif

#9 Before February 2015

tak4n

This topic disgusts me. Personally I'd rather die than get eaten, however I don't want to die from being eaten. I'd starve to death then the rest of the people could decide what to do with me, I don't care. However I am not eating a person.

signature3_zpsttrhtmyh.png

#10 Before February 2015

thecoolguy

tak4n, you don't know how much you change if you're on the edge on starvation, and there totally fine meat in front of you. Your survival instinct might just take over and make you eat it.
Just like womans would kill theirselfs if that would save their offspring.
I also would never eat another human with my full awareness, but I'm not so sure in a situation like that.

Last edited by thecoolguy (Mar 9 2013 3:34:26 am)

#11 Before February 2015

krubby

Waiting until someone dies of starvation wouldn't work because by then everyone else would be on the brink of death and their body might not be able to process meat at that point. And the point of this topic is the morality of cannibalism, so just pretend there is absolutely no other food source and you'll all die if no one eats anyone else.

#12 Before February 2015

Alexthementalone
Banned

Theres kind of something missing out of your story...

You didn't mention if any animals inhabit this island

But anyway I could not eat someone, everyone deserves to be equal. :/

#13 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Arceus64 wrote:
Zoey2070 wrote:
Arceus64 wrote:

I'd eat them.

because everyone carries a brita filter with them at all times.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#14 Before February 2015

skullz17

You can survive for 30 days with just water in your diet (I think).

I could not eat another person and kill them. I'd get everyone to eat a portion of each other's skin since that regenerates quickly and won't kill you if it's removed.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#15 Before February 2015

treejoe4

skullz16 wrote:

You can survive for 30 days with just water in your diet (I think).

I could not eat another person and kill them. I'd get everyone to eat a portion of each other's skin since that regenerates quickly and won't kill you if it's removed.

That wouldn't work, all you would do is probably give everyone an infection

#16 Before February 2015

thecoolguy

3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, that means you HAVE to eat someone...
No ways around it, and it's about the moral part of it, not the ways around it.
Would the people that ate another person have to go to prison for murder, or is this a special case because they would all die if that one person wouldn't have been eaten?

#17 Before February 2015

Muffin

^ They could say the guy they ate fell in the water and got washed out to sea. If nobody finds out you can't go to jail.

#18 Before February 2015

SilverStar
EE Homegirl

I was thinking about this today...

So I would probably think that someone would commit suicide. Someone wouldn't be able to live with this situation, or they would kill themselves to make food for others. I'd appreciate it if someone gave their views on that, and if they'd eat the person who killed themself.

Since this is a purely moral hypothetical situation, pretend that amutations and skin removals do not get infected. Would you be able to eat someone's arm? Someone's skin? Your own?

1oGNJTH.gif

#19 Before February 2015

tak4n

thecoolguy wrote:

tak4n, you don't know how much you change if you're on the edge on starvation, and there totally fine meat in front of you. Your survival instinct might just take over and make you eat it.
Just like womans would kill theirselfs if that would save their offspring.
I also would never eat another human with my full awareness, but I'm not so sure in a situation like that.

If my instincts try to kick in, I'd commit suicide instead of starving to death, however I AM NOT EATING A HUMAN BEING.

signature3_zpsttrhtmyh.png

#20 Before February 2015

treejoe4

The situation proposed by the OP means that someone would die while waiting for 3 weeks, that means no one would have to be killed, and that everyone would get a free lunch.

#21 Before February 2015

Kentiya
Website

treejoe4 wrote:

The situation proposed by the OP means that someone would die while waiting for 3 weeks, that means no one would have to be killed, and that everyone would get a free lunch.

Everyone except the one who died.

atikyne-cartoony-120.png
Kentiya / Atikyne — EE & EEU lead artist 2018-2020

#22 Before February 2015

thecoolguy

Lets just say that the boat comes in 3 weeks and a day then treejoe, because it's not about wether or not it is possible to not eat anyone at all, it's about the fact if they should do it. Is it the best thing to do, or should they just all die because cannibalism isn't justified.

#23 Before February 2015

theditor

A person can survive 3 weeks without food, but only 3 days without water.
~Bear Grylls

If they need to drink something, they just drink their own p*ss.
Problem sloved. Say no to cannibalsim.

#24 Before February 2015

treejoe4

thecoolguy wrote:

Lets just say that the boat comes in 3 weeks and a day then treejoe, because it's not about wether or not it is possible to not eat anyone at all, it's about the fact if they should do it. Is it the best thing to do, or should they just all die because cannibalism isn't justified.

But cannibalism usually happens when someone has died, not killing someone.

#25 Before February 2015

krubby

treejoe4 wrote:
thecoolguy wrote:

But cannibalism usually happens when someone has died, not killing someone.

As I said earlier, unless someone is much weaker and dies on his own much before everyone else, then the others will be so sick and weak by the time someone has died they wouldn't be able to digest something so rich as meat.

thecoolguy1423674379287053

Board footer