Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

Conary

Re: Let's fix Parental Control

But wait, most swears are blocked, so that would mean there is no reason to report someone for something that is blocked, the only reason to report is if they get around a chat filter. Also I think that "WTF" and "GTFO" should be left alone by censors if they are upgraded because technically they already are censored.

#27 Before February 2015

Alex

Conary wrote:

But wait, most swears are blocked, so that would mean there is no reason to report someone for something that is blocked, the only reason to report is if they get around a chat filter. Also I think that "WTF" and "GTFO" should be left alone by censors if they are upgraded because technically they already are censored.

Indeed, there is no need to report/warn for already filtered words.

#28 Before February 2015

emanresu

Okay, now this is just getting draconian. You people need to look at context. There's no reason a person should be punished at all for saying "damn, I fell" or "holy crap, this an awesome level." On the other hand, calling someone a piece of crap or telling them to go f*** themselves should be punishable. They're just words. What matters is how you use them. It's easily possible to express obscene and horrible things to and at people without the use of any swear words at all.

#29 Before February 2015

Conary

emanresu wrote:

Okay, now this is just getting draconian. You people need to look at context. There's no reason a person should be punished at all for saying "damn, I fell" or "holy crap, this an awesome level." On the other hand, calling someone a piece of crap or telling them to go f*** themselves should be punishable. They're just words. What matters is how you use them. It's easily possible to express obscene and horrible things to and at people without the use of any swear words at all.

Right like I was saying before about how people can say, "obscene and horrible things to and at people without the use of any swear words at all".

And I also agree with the "damn I fell" part too.

#30 Before February 2015

Twipply

Tell the parents complaining to grow up, stop being stupid, and remove the 'parental control'.   There is no other fix you should be interested in.   If you really want to do something, then give your users the ability to mute people.   You may also want to get some useful mods with the ability to remove chat privileges.

Last edited by Twipply (Dec 17 2010 12:38:38 pm)

#31 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Improve the chat filters and moderators.   Perhaps have people who cuss kicked from the room, and, if kept up repeatedly, banned from chatting.

There is no single solution that can solve this problem, and the current system in place is, quite frankly, horrible.

#32 Before February 2015

Alex

deleted a post or two not about improving the system, further unrelated posts will be ninja deleted

That being said, I do believe the generally accepted idea is some sort of warning system that revolves around having moderators manage the chat,   no?

#33 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

alex wrote:

deleted a post or two not about improving the system, further unrelated posts will be ninja deleted

That being said, I do believe the generally accepted idea is some sort of warning system that revolves around having moderators manage the chat,   no?

That would mean that there have to be more moderators. And in every room one. That's stupid. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
I'm okay with the current system actually. I mean who cries about 1 cent? You can find 1 cent anywhere on the street or wherever.

#34 Before February 2015

Conary

YoshisIsland wrote:
alex wrote:

That would mean that there have to be more moderators. And in every room one. That's stupid. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
I'm okay with the current system actually. I mean who cries about 1 cent? You can find 1 cent anywhere on the street or wherever.

Ya, but how can you get that 1¢ into your computer? I don't think there is a slot for change unless it's near the disc drive.

Also, there does not have to be a moderator in each room, there can just be a reporting system, or a detection system that picks up inappropriate words and mods can determine if it is bad enough or not.

#35 Before February 2015

lillsneppe

Conary wrote:
YoshisIsland wrote:
alex wrote:

Ya, but how can you get that 1¢ into your computer? I don't think there is a slot for change unless it's near the disc drive.

Also, there does not have to be a moderator in each room, there can just be a reporting system, or a detection system that picks up inappropriate words and mods can determine if it is bad enough or not.

What Conary said. There could be a special website for those who're picked as mods where they can see all the chats.. Every time something is reported or detected.. They would hear some kind of beep and the chat would get a colored outline.

The amount of mods would need to be increased though, but Chat-mods wouldn't necessarily become in-game mods with the power to edit. They should get something though...

#36 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

musuki wrote:
EDJ wrote:

Ontopic pls

Anyway I like Alex' idea the most, some sort of bar which fills at every swear word.
This will require no need of extra "mods"

What if type in fack/fak/fook/fok/****/f*ck/phuck/f.uck etc?

Naturally, we'd have to include every possible variation in the database as well.

#37 Before February 2015

musuki

Every single one? :S

I could think of tons more.

#38 Before February 2015

Alex

^ Thats why it'd work better on a report system, imo, but that might require more moderators, or at least more action done by them.

#39 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

alex wrote:

^ Thats why it'd work better on a report system, imo, but that might require more moderators, or at least more action done by them.

Which might cause Chris to avoid that solution since he once told me that he'd like to make a system that won't require heave moderator attention in the game.

#40 Before February 2015

EDJ

What about just the standard swear database and people can report messages which contain swearwords that arent   in the database yet. However this still needs moderators but less than the other method.

#41 Before February 2015

YoshisIsland

EDJ wrote:

What about just the standard swear database and people can report messages which contain swearwords that arent   in the database yet. However this still needs moderators but less than the other method.

Actually that only needs one moderator in my opinion. I mean it's not that easy to find out swear words.

Is "f" allowed?

#42 Before February 2015

bliske

how about, a 'report abuse' similar to MMORPG's.

- make a system to 'where you can report the person's name.
- if there offensive in anyway 'they can be muted from using the chat (though you would need moderators that can keep up with it) , 'in all honesty, people in there own world's should be moderators to kick ' ban ' anybody for a limited amount of time if the owners believe that there being of a neusence.
- 'timer-chat' in chat 'to avoid spam (if anybody scapes here you would remember recently the tweak to chat - to stop spam .
- this would play a huge part (timer-mute)
meaning for eg: if somebody is using inappropriate language, the owner can (mute) them in there world - to avoid them from being immature.

(tho the problem with that would be that)
they could easily go out/in unless you can say right : 1 day mute, 2hrs, ect.

erm if anybody thinks this sounds average, then thumbs up. & add-on if you can i just thought of a few.

Last edited by Bliske (Dec 21 2010 5:25:19 am)

#43 Before February 2015

musuki

Mute/Ignore is great and definitely should be added. Let the room owner mute people, meaning they can't say anything. Give everybody the ability to ignore other people; you don't see their messages and they don't see yours.

For reporting, the idea I had in mind was that typing /report would send a recent chat log of the room you're in to a moderator for reviewing. Or maybe /report userame to send a chat log of that player's messages. This does require some time and effort from a moderator, but I'm really not convinced at all by a filter system.

This isn't a solution to the thread's problem, but I thought I'd post anyway.

#44 Before February 2015

bliske

just along side a reporting system , a ignore feature would be a good idea.

#45 Before February 2015

Alex

Massive thread cleanup. Deleted 5 whole pages.
This is not the place to argue with Chris' decision to add parental controls, this is the place to discuss improving upon the current system.

I have also deleted many generally bad suggestions and 'I AGREE WITH DIS' posts to simplify the thread, some conversations may have been a little bonked from this, but overall it should make this thread easier to follow.
-Alex

#46 Before February 2015

bloo47

alex wrote:
Conary wrote:

I am 15 and I do see why I am being restricted from using a "chat room" which I have since I was 10-11 because I was responsible, especially one I paid for.

Oh, yes, this is a great point. I've been using AIM since I was about 10, too.

Perhaps, a warning system, you swear three times and you lose chat ability for a minimal amount of time, the progresses in length. That way the punishment is focused on the swearers. The warnings expire after 24 hours, and would work something like this:

1. Warning the first time.
2. Second warning(perhaps taking away energy, or slowing it until the warning goes away?)
3. Banned from chat for 30 minutes.
4. Banned from chat for 1 hour.
5. banned from chat for 5 hours
6. Banned from chat for 1 day.
7. Banned from chat for 3 days.
8. Banned from chat for 1 week.

And, only one warning would expire a day, so if i swear 4 times(with some delay for temporary chat bans), the next day it still counts as if I have 3 swears.

You'd have to add any variations of the words for this system to work, including spaced out swears(l i k e   t h i s), and typos.

As much as I don't like censorship, this idea seems to be a reasonable alternative to the 1cent system at the moment, as it's relocating the punishment to the people committing the act that is unwanted.

the point is for people who can't SEE the swearing

#47 Before February 2015

bloo47

alex wrote:
Conary wrote:

what about saying "b1tch" or "****" or "dam"?

#48 Before February 2015

Conary

bloo47 wrote:
alex wrote:
Conary wrote:

what about saying "b1tch" or "****" or "dam"?

Well obviously those are not filtered, WTF and GTFO are filtered. You would report those.

#49 Before February 2015

bmxingking

alex wrote:

Conary wrote:

I am 15 and I do see why I am being restricted from using a "chat room" which I have since I was 10-11 because I was responsible, especially one I paid for.

Perhaps, a warning system, you swear three times and you lose chat ability for a minimal amount of time, the progresses in length. That way the punishment is focused on the swearers. The warnings expire after 24 hours, and would work something like this:

1. Warning the first time.
     2. Second warning(perhaps taking away energy, or slowing it until the warning goes away?)
     3. Banned from chat for 30 minutes.
     4. Banned from chat for 1 hour.
     5. banned from chat for 5 hours
     6. Banned from chat for 1 day.
     7. Banned from chat for 3 days.
     8. Banned from chat for 1 week.

And, only one warning would expire a day, so if i swear 4 times(with some delay for temporary chat bans), the next day it still counts as if I have 3 swears.

You'd have to add any variations of the words for this system to work, including spaced out swears(l i k e   t h i s), and typos.

As much as I don't like censorship, this idea seems to be a reasonable alternative to the 1cent system at the moment, as it's relocating the punishment to the people committing the act that is unwanted.

this idea sounds like it would work i does what you want and just have a button in the menu for the parents can turn the chat on of off and to make sure that the kid cant turn it on again have a password lock so its protected but instead of 8 chances make it like 4 or 5 first and second warnings like alex said the second and third the same but the fourth time its gone no more chat u till you want to give it back to the person

#50 Before February 2015

DBear

Twipply wrote:

Tell the parents complaining to grow up, stop being stupid, and remove the 'parental control'.   There is no other fix you should be interested in.   If you really want to do something, then give your users the ability to mute people.   You may also want to get some useful mods with the ability to remove chat privileges.

I do agree with having a mute ability. That would be more useful..

Conary wrote:

Eh? I don't have beta, so I haven't ever experienced the chat, but you're saying that swear words are in fact already filtered? That...kinda sucks. Some people use swear words in everyday speech and asking them to pull in the reigns is just...eh.

alex wrote:

Perhaps, a warning system, you swear three times and you lose chat ability for a minimal amount of time, the progresses in length. That way the punishment is focused on the swearers.

I don't know...I mean some people are just naturally vulgar when communicating through text, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they mean harm...
Now. I have an idea. But it hinges on whether Chris, as the creator/admin of EE, can actually go and modify individual accounts. If he can, this is my idea(though, it way come at a cost of Chris getting swamped with emails):
Simple have it known that if parents do not want their child using the chat feature, they can email Chris with their concerns, and the name of their child's account. Then, Chris could just go and modify that person's account so that the chat feature would be disabled. Though, there would most likely be an influx of fake emails, with people going "oh no no no, please keep the chat for my child!!", but I mean, that only makes it obvious who's trying to keep the chat for themselves. Which is why it's important that it's stressed that if the parents DON'T want their children using the chat feature, they should contact Chris. And one might say, "well, what if the parents are concerned, but they don't know the name of their child's EE account?" Chances are, if they know about Everybody Edits and its chat feature, then at the very least, they would know their child's account name. But if they really don't, then it's kind of up to the parents to find out the name, and if the child is unwilling to give it up, then they get grounded or whatever it is parents do when trying to get a username out of their kid. >_>
*edit*
But then again, if Chris could individually modify accounts, then it's reasonable that he would be able to see the account's IP address...so all the parent would have to do would be to tell him their IP address and he could look it up..
...Of course, this all depends on whether Chris CAN actually go and modify individual accounts. If he can't, then I got nothing. :/

Last edited by Danni (Dec 23 2010 11:13:30 pm)

Please, call me Danni.
NNID: DanniDearest
MK8 or Splatoon, brah.
EOnu2OZ.png

Chris 142393302928403

Board footer