Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

A defeatist attitude.

This is what I think I have. In that, I often convince myself that I can't do something before I even try it. I tend to come up with plenty of reasons why something won't work, or that people won't like it, and the idea just floats around in my brain. For example, I have an idea for a game I want to make, but haven't started it. I have an idea for a novel I want to write, but have never sat down and written anything.
Maybe it's because I set myself huge tasks and have no idea where to begin. Maybe I'm a bit lazy. Maybe I like the idea of this perfect thing, and I'm afraid I'll ruin it when I make it. Maybe I'm afraid of success. Maybe I convince myself that somehow I'm not good enough, or that I don't deserve to do this. Maybe it's a combination of all of those things.
Do any of you have the same problem? Any ideas on how to just do it? Etc?
(Edited to fix paragraphs)

Last edited by Onjit (May 1 2014 12:13:26 am)

:.|:;

#2 Before February 2015

Noctis

Re: A defeatist attitude.

For me it's procrastination. I always think I have too many things on my hands. It's like the feeling of being claustrophobic, but instead of physically being in a tight space, you're mentally feeling like you're in a tight space. I currently haven't resolved it, but try to stop being lazy.

Last edited by Noctis (May 1 2014 1:37:47 am)

#3 Before February 2015

Koto

Fiendish Llama, I think I have this too.   I have had ideas for novels and scripts that I have never written.   I think part it is that I overthink the plots of those things, or the smaller details I'll put into it at times.

#4 Before February 2015

This whole topic describes me so well. I also tend to daydream about something for days, and when I have the chance to do it... "nah, too lazy". In fact, sometimes I feel too lazy to do almost anything useful.

#5 Before February 2015

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I want to do something big on Everybody Edits, and make a manga-inspired comic book, but I just constantly keep procrastinating. It haunts me. I would try to make better levels on Everybody Edits, but I keep thinking to myself "0mg i need to get help to make pr0 levels with0ut practice," which does not get me anywhere.
Though, I'm planning to avert this some time soon.
It is time.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#6 Before February 2015

Calicara

Since I was 14 it has been my goal to produce a game. I am 19 and not much closer to that goal than I was 5 years ago. I am currently in production, and by in production I mean just starting, a game which I've written over the course of the last 6 months.
My advice for you is this. Before you begin any project, I think you should recognize your end goal. What do you want to accomplish? If you're writing a story, you should have a general synopsis of the entire story before the first chapter. If you're writing a game, you should have a general synopsis of the entire game before producing the game.
Once you decide on your goal you should break it down into smaller manageable tasks. My first goal was spriting. So I spent one night, about 3 hours, making sprites. I plan to make all the sprites before going into programming. I will make sprites a few at a time. Maybe 1 or 2 a day. After I have done though I will worry about the next part.
The thing is to take your projects one step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

#7 Before February 2015

skullz17

Whenever I get an idea for an EE level or a novel or whatever, I often don't do it straight away and just procrastinate, slowly losing inspiration and interest; the longer I wait, the harder it gets to make myself do it. Like Failgirl said, putting things into small manageable tasks is a good way to go about a large task. I can't express how much breaking things down helps, it just makes things so much more easy.
Also, believe it or not, taking breaks helps a LOT. I usually do 45 minutes of work and then have a 15 minute break, for every hour of work I do. Even though I'm only working for 45 minutes for every hour, when I could be working constantly for many hours, I actually manage more work when I take breaks. The first 45 minutes might not do you much good, but you'll get through it if you break down the task. After having a break and coming back to work it feels easier to work on the task, and not so much of a pain. I guess as you continue to work, you get more and more bored and you lose motivation, so having a break satisfies that desire to stop working and kinda refreshes it so you can start working again after a while. You might just want to take breaks when you start to feel unbearably bored, rather than sticking to a specific pattern like 45/15.
I had to write a speech a couple of months ago, and it was a Sunday and I thought I would finish it that day. Normally, I would leave it til the evening, but this time it seemed like such a big task that I would have to start first thing in the morning. However, I broke it down and just took it paragraph by paragraph, and took a few breaks here and there. I managed to finish it not by the end of the day, but by the end of the morning.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#8 Before February 2015

Fdoou
Banned

welcome to being a human

there's a part of your brain that basically says "havin a bad time? du somethin you liek!"
and that is procrastination.
i wonder if it can be removed...

#9 2021-09-15 13:26:45

Onjit
Website

this thread is now closed

goodbye

:.|:;

Onjit1631622405791494

Board footer