Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

Game idea: Anti-Metroidvania (opinions pls)

Here's the idea: it is a platform/puzzle game. It is an exact opposite of the traditional metroidvania formula of starting weak and finding upgrades to progress.

Your character would start out super powerful, being able to jump super high, shoot powerful lasers, go through doors, climb walls, move fast, etc.

You would be able to access the entirety of the map, except the goal which (for some story-related reason) requires the player to lose all of their abilities.

To do the player would have to take 'downgrades', losing their abilities, and still make sure they can access the goal. Hence the platformer would be the moving around, and the puzzle would be finding correct sequence.

What do you think? Good idea? I haven't heard of any games like this before.

:.|:;

#2 Before February 2015

skullz17

Re: Game idea: Anti-Metroidvania (opinions pls)

It's like gun game reverse. Haven't seen it done on a platformer though, so I think it's a great idea.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#3 Before February 2015

dragonranger

Gates to mark out walls and platforms that you lose the ability to access, doors for higher jumps (that disappear after getting a coin)
Yellow coins and blue coins are different downgrades, pick which one (several times), and if you pick the wrong one, you'll find yourself stuck somewhere?
Could see this working

#4 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

The reason could be that your bulging muscles and oversized weapons make it impossible to fit through the door to the goal.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#5 Before February 2015

Bimps

Dragonranger wrote:

Gates to mark out walls and platforms that you lose the ability to access, doors for higher jumps (that disappear after getting a coin)
Yellow coins and blue coins are different downgrades, pick which one (several times), and if you pick the wrong one, you'll find yourself stuck somewhere?
Could see this working

he isnt talking about ee

#6 Before February 2015

skullz17

Different55 wrote:

The reason could be that your bulging muscles and oversized weapons make it impossible to fit through the door to the goal.

Maybe there's a guard who only lets you through if you're polite, and they think that approaching them with a weapon is rude.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#7 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Maybe the main character is making the guard feel self-conscious about him/herself.

- ShinsukeIto

#8 Before February 2015

dragonranger

Bimps wrote:
Dragonranger wrote:

Could see this working

he isnt talking about ee

but i can make it in ee
as in im rambling to myself and am planning to steal this idea

Last edited by Dragonranger (Dec 20 2014 7:24:05 pm)

#9 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

Different55 wrote:

Hilarious. I think this might be a winner here.

#10 Before February 2015

Anch

I don't know what an Anti-Metroidvania is but the concept sounds pretty cool!

#11 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

anch159 wrote:

I don't know what an Anti-Metroidvania is but the concept sounds pretty cool!

A metroidvania is a game where finding and collecting upgrades allows you to progress. Example: KOLM

An Anti-Metroidvania is a term I made up. It's basically a metroidvania but backwards.

#12 Before February 2015

ani

I think it would be a really easy and (very) interesting way to introduce an extremely apparent difficulty scaling. However, the only problem with this idea of being 'end-game' at the beginning is that the control and skill you have to effectively utilize all of the features you are automatically given is straight out awful.

In a straightforward normal metroidvania-esque game, upgrades and items are given to you gradually, with ample time to figure and practice the new feature (and usually, the levels straight after are a gameplay introduction in a controlled environment which allows learning to be quick and easy, while providing the understanding of what this particular item or upgrade can possibly do for you), such as 'Wing Of Vi's' slide or flutter movement upgrades. If you started out with all the features, you wouldn't possibly be able to utilize these upgrades to the fullest of their potential.

EDIT: although I could think of a lot of cool ways you could bypass this, or at least integrate it into the game's theme itself. Nice topic discussion overall.

Last edited by FuzzySocks (Dec 23 2014 1:19:46 am)

ヽ(•‿•)ノ    ❤ ♬ ✩    t u t u r u !~    ✧☁ ☂    ヽ(•‿•)ノ

#13 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Maybe there could be a short preface/prequel/tutorial where you go through each upgrade.

- ShinsukeIto

#14 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

I was thinking about this, and I agree with you FuzzySocks. Perhaps if there was a tutorial-ish level before the "downgrading" part? It could serve as a kind of cutscene-prologue-story-device thing, where you have all of the upgrades (or get them sequentially) and then find out you have to lose them.

An idea I had for the story is this: Some time in the not so distant future, gadgetry and bio-tech are popular in the black market. You, in your infinite wisdom (or maybe there's actually a reason), decide to spend all of your moneys on upgrading yourself.

BUT THEN (dun dun dun) you get in trouble and have to pay off some debts to the future-space-mafia (or something... idk). And to make things worse for you, (but more interesting in terms of gameplay) you're wanted by the cops. To pay back your debts, you must go through the streets of the city and sell all of your gear to various vendors in the black market.

You win when you get enough money to pay back your debt, if you aren't caught by the cops.

Last edited by Onjit (Dec 23 2014 5:29:26 am)

#15 Before February 2015

some woman

Sounds like a nice idea, speedrunning could turn into a real strategy game! Maybe the weapons should be re-obtainable if you give them to certain people, and you could exchange one kind of weapon for another weapon (example: you start out with red gun, you shoot the red blocks down, you go to exchange your red gun for a blue gun, you shoot the blue blocks down, you exchange your blue gun for a green gun, shoot the green blocks down, etc.)

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#16 Before February 2015

ani

Different55 wrote:

Maybe there could be a short preface/prequel/tutorial where you go through each upgrade.

That's still shoving a whole lot of information into your face all at once. Doesn't solve anything, just makes it less worse //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

ヽ(•‿•)ノ    ❤ ♬ ✩    t u t u r u !~    ✧☁ ☂    ヽ(•‿•)ノ

#17 2021-09-15 13:24:34

Onjit
Website

this thread is now closed

goodbye

Onjit1631622274791489

Board footer