Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#351 Before February 2015

ShinyPorygon5

Re: Ultimate Builders Challenge

Um, KOTO? Could you re-explain why our competition was changed? Was it because we lost and the other team that lost you thought got another chance or...? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#352 Before February 2015

Koto

Round One FINAL Results:
Dtxa3Un.png
Round Two Theme: Personal Hobbies (Outside EE)

Also, Aoitenshi is being replaced as a judge with Bash (He originally wanted to be a judge, but I made him sign up, to help fill out the bracket).

I was going to post the detailed reviews that Gadgetgeek created for the first round, but somebody decided to delete that message, so you can either decide to blame Master1 or DCLevels (Not sure who did it).   His reviews are located two posts below.   Sorry to anyone who created a map on that fake theme that DClevels posted on the UltimateBuildersChallenge account.

Round two timeline:
July 16-25:   Competitors create their submissions.
July 26-28:   Round Two Judging.

Good Luck to all competitors!

REMEMBER: DO NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR MAP SUBMISSIONS, EVEN IF YOU LOST.   YOU CAN, AND WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IF YOU DELETE THEM/ MAKE NON-VISIBLE!
LOOK AT YOUR OPPONENTS PREVIOUS SUBMISSIONS TO HAVE AN IDEA WHAT YOU ARE FACING THIS ROUND!   ALL MAP LINKS ARE LOCATED ON THE FIRST POST.

Last edited by KingOfTheOzone (Jul 16 2013 4:58:13 pm)

#353 Before February 2015

Tachyonic

ShinyPorygon5 wrote:

Um, KOTO? Could you re-explain why our competition was changed? Was it because we lost and the other team that lost you thought got another chance or...? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

Nobody submitted in H, so we needed 2 competitors that didn't pass the first round to battle eachother for H.

Not sure on why those specific groups were chosen.

#354 Before February 2015

Tachyonic

**There are currently no reviews for F, G, H or O...
...from either laziness of typing or never got round to playing them

A
Tough call, but I vote Flamex234 & Hytres1.

Flamex234 & Hytres1 had done the job beautifully. It was obvious what it was, while the minigames were somewhat original - and entertaining at best. One thing I do wish to point out is the confusion on leaving the spawn, however.

With idoatsmon & villager, I had not seen an obvious resemblance to an arcade game (The closest I could think of is Donkey Kong). Not only was it near impossible to get to the second half of the level, but the three-life algorythm was (in my opinion) an evil move. Once "dead", the player would have to restart the whole thing again, taking another half an hour just to get back to where he was. For newbies such as myself, I thought it was a kind of easter egg. Too bad it wasn't.

B
Boh & Jaybm

I'm surprised they managed to create something from a claw machine. Their effort was high, and as a result, my applause is as well. The drawback is that I couldn't tell where to go, but not in the sense of Tomb Raider where it's exploration. This type was the kind where it's nothing more than trial and error. Good art though.

Benje00 & Polis had original gameplay as well, but there was nothing to it. I thought the scenery and tile/background variety were bare, and I had the level completed in a mere 5 to 10 minutes.

C
0176 & Drock2308

I didn't know what to expect when I saw that 0176 & Drock2308 had to create an arcade theme together - but let me tell you; they did not disappoint. This was nothing short of an adventure. Lengthy for such a compact space to build in, but somehow they crammed it all in, without a block to spare. The difficulty curve was what really took the awesome, though. It's fair to the end; without loss of excitement.

Their opponents, rocktheworld313 & Wizard2002, had a simplistic but difficult level. Definitely the type of level you'd want to play on a quick coffee break. It is unfortunate that they were against the inevitable superior...

D
Midevalangel & Darkonemeow

Sorry Bash & Express50, but you can't argue against Midevalangel & Darkonemeow's higher originality. Humorous from the very start, before the main play area even begun. Great difficulty, great minigames, great fun. An all round blast to play.

A surprising number of people chose PacMan as a source for their level - but what matters is what you can do with it. I found the difficulty to be through the roof, but mainly due to not knowing what the heck I'm supposed to do without trial and error. Mediocre artistic value, unfortunately. Though it is PacMan, so it's impossible to get any higher.

P.S. Bash pls dun ban me :CC

E
Curdflappers & Muffin

What made Curdflappers & Muffin decide Fix It Felix was a good gaming choice is beyond my imagination, but it doesn't matter, because it still works. Different from all other levels I've ever seen, and that's what I like. The difficulty for me was a little easy, however.

Oh dear, lucasmaster2000 & derekfarias. I can't even tell if you've ever looked at a PacMan game before. I know you weren't given much room, but you could have at least asked for lessons from 0176 & Drock2308! The only positive comment I have is that it's just barely a doozy to pass.

I
Theditor & Stagecrew... I guess.

Oh look, a PacMan level that I approve of. Well, I say approve. It's only slightly better than Shinyporygon5 & Hummerz'. That's because the gameplay has nothing to do with PacMan, besides the very little interaction with the foreground ghosts and orby pill things. Other than that, it's a generic minigame level. This would be okay for any other time; such as being made out of pure random and placed in the Rooms sub-forum - but this is a tournament. I have decided to give you another chance, however, because I believe it's possible that you two could make an awesome relatable level if you follow what I just typed.

Shinyporygon5 & Hummerz' level did indeed stick to the plot of the level being the plot of a famous video game. With a bizarre twist, I might add. The minigames were lacking though, and dying is extremely annoying without checkpoints. I would've voted for this, but I don't think you two would make it very far in the future if you stick to this effort - while Theditor & Stagecrew have at least some hope on the horizon.

J
Thecoolguy

Before Cameronaldo & Zicdu30 edited, when I went to play it, the level was impossible to get past the very start. Even after edit, the minigames were annoying to beat and had no real relation to PacMan. (That could be any arcade box, with the right decoration).

Besides different style of gameplay, Thecoolguy's level wasn't anything special. Cameronaldo & Zicdu30 just happened to dig themselves into a bigger ditch.

K
222hockey222 & Rayoflight

Oh look, a PacMan level that I approve of. For real this time! It feels satisfying traversing the good old board like the way it should be done. The minigames require skill, not pixel-perfect precision...

Which is pretty much what Pyromaniac & Deetz' level is. If it ain't luck, it's near impossible timing. No skill required.

L
SmittyW (This was a VERY tough call though)

It was nigh impossible to pick a winner for this one - but the sole reason SmittyW wins is because I haven't seen a level like it before. Raon & Legoking2000, don't get your hopes down. You've still made an incredibly good boss-battle-type level.

M
Skullz16 & JR2

I love this level. The hilarity but difficulty perplexes me so much that it feels awesome - in my opinion. The art is surprisingly beautiful too.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what Admiral Awesome's level is supposed to be in relation to. Still fun none-the-less, though. But it seems like a level you'd play any day.

N
Orcwizard

Another tough one, because Orc added more variety to a very bland game, Frogger, even though the second layer is pretty much impossible while you can cheat through the first layer with ease.

Kentiya, although presented nicely, made it VERY confusing to navigate, or even traverse some parts.

P
Buzzerbee & GKabyss

How you can create a level from Duck Hunt and still make it successful is pretty extraordinary. Good effort!

Had SquadFS & Vasum01 completed their level, it would've been yet another toughie, I'm sure.

------

I got idle near the end, that's why the reviews are barely 2 sentences long.

Oh, and, it took HOURS typing this up in Notepad.
Luckily, the amount of effort needed to type reviews for the next rounds half per round - so even more detail!

P.S. Don't think of this as criticism. You know I love you all dearly <3
P.S.S. If my tired **** forgot something or if you have a question/complaint, PM me so I can explain myself.

Last edited by Tachyonic (Jul 16 2013 3:44:06 pm)

#355 Before February 2015

Koto

Yes, sorry about them being deleted.   I decided to just change the password on that account, and do it all myself, since somebody felt like that particular message should be deleted, when I still was planning on using it.

r9CGOVG.png

...So I guess Shiny is back in the contest.

Last edited by KingOfTheOzone (Jul 16 2013 4:54:33 pm)

#356 Before February 2015

Muffin

YES I DONT HAVE TO LOSE TO MIHB AND MFL err I mean atleast I'll have a decent challenge now instead of those EX nubs! heh...

i dont have any hobbies

#357 Before February 2015

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

In our defense, gadgetgeek, it was supposed to be precise, because if you've ever played the real game, its a hairtrigger game, I get what your saying though, and hey, somehow we still won //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

This theme is tough though, I have hobbies but I can't think how to put them into a world with a unique concept...

Especially since deetz ditched me and went on a 2 week vacation.

Gg smittyw //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#358 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

Round Two Theme: Personal Hobbies (Outside EE)

Looking like thecoolguy is into bunny polygamy

#359 Before February 2015

MIHB

As you may have noticed, I have dropped out of the competition.   As such, I want to give my perspective on a few of the levels.   I know a lot of the experienced builders have a good idea as to the flaws of their maps (my own contribution had plenty of flaws), but in particular I want to discuss these maps to give newer builders insights into the strengths and weaknesses of other peoples' maps.

Of course, my perspective is only one perspective, but hopefully I can add some insights that may be useful to any of you in the future.   If I didn't mention a map and you would like feedback on your map, let me know.   Also, in general, I dislike minigames in small spaces.   Keep that in mind, as I may dislike gameplay that is perfectly fine for other people.
Boh/Jaybm

I've mentioned to you that I love the grabbing crane concept, but I didn't even notice that was the idea until the second play-through!   This is mainly because the minigame-type gameplay around the "dolls" felt disconnected from the crane gameplay, which I would expect to be "down, grab, up" in quick tempo.   I would have preferred a crane game that didn't have minis, although others may differ.

Benje/Polis

I liked this one, and probably would have voted it through to the next round.   The gameplay itself was strong here, and finishing a medium level in 5-10 minutes is not a bad thing.   (Seriously Gadgetgeek, 5-10 minutes for a medium level is equivalent to an hour or so for a massive level.)   I think the art was the main drawback here, as well as the lack of sense of any particular arcade game (I have no idea what it was supposed to represent).

Bash/Express v Midevilangel/Darkonemeow

Not much to say here except that my opinions of the gameplay were opposite of Gadgetgeek's.   I found the first mini of the M/D level too tedious to play further.   Just shows that gameplay tastes can be very different depending on the player.

Theditor/Stagecrew

Not much to add here beyond what Gadgetgeek said.   I hate hate hate levels which feel like a series of ee minis, rather than a coherent gameplay experience.   However, the ee minis themselves were high quality, so I can definitely understand why the level made it to the next round.

ShinyPorygon/Hummerz

I may have voted for this one to win this round.   (Gadgetgeek, bad form voting for a team based on future expectations.)

As Gadgetgeek mentioned, the gameplay itself was very bland and lacking.   When trying to emulate the gameplay of another game, its fair to recognize that you CAN'T emulate it perfectly, and use ee gameplay tools to make up the difference.   For Donkey Kong, you don't have moving barrels, but you can substitute it with ee minis (which is a tactic I hate, and I disliked most of the contributions that did that), or use keys, timed doors, portals, coin doors, and other tools to add a different twist to the "barrels".   Finding the balance between emulating the game and keeping it interesting is tricky but awesome when you can pull it off.

On the other side, this was one of the best levels of the round at conveying a specific gameplay experience, which is why I rated it highly.

Pyromaniac/Deetz

I would have voted for this just because of the interesting gameplay concept, but it was unplayable.   This is another case where emulating another game's gameplay needs to find a common ground with ee tools that make it fun and interesting.   A few minor changes could make this a lot of fun, so in the next round I'd suggest scaling back on any "super-precise" gameplay.
SmittyW v Raon/Legoking

This one was interesting to me, because I found these to be very similar concepts (repeating an upward path over and over).   I think SmittyW won this going away, however, because each time it was repeated, the upward path changed and became trickier.   The R/L level could be repeated in the exact same fashion over and over.   If you're repeating the exact same sequence over and over, it had better be absolutely amazing.   Oddly, the coin doors in the R/L level seemed to have been put in to change the gameplay, but they just weren't implemented fully or well enough.

Orcwizard

A very neat idea.   The gameplay itself could have used some polishing, but this was one of the best levels of the round just because of how clean and unique the concept was.

Kentiya

I didn't play past the first mini, so I can't comment on the rest of it, but I absolutely hated what I played, for an easily fixable reason.   In general, if it takes longer and requires more motions to reset after failing than it does to try the mini itself, you have a very, very, very, very, very big problem.   There is no reason for the tedious climb back to start except to annoy people.

Buzzerbee/GKA

This was simple and neat.   Loved it.

Last edited by MIHB (Jul 17 2013 4:31:14 pm)

#360 Before February 2015

Stagecrew

MIHB wrote:

Theditor/Stagecrew

Not much to add here beyond what Gadgetgeek said.   I hate hate hate levels which feel like a series of ee minis, rather than a coherent gameplay experience.   However, the ee minis themselves were high quality, so I can definitely understand why the level made it to the next round.

GadgetGeek wrote:

Theditor & Stagecrew... I guess.

Oh look, a PacMan level that I approve of. Well, I say approve. It's only slightly better than Shinyporygon5 & Hummerz'. That's because the gameplay has nothing to do with PacMan, besides the very little interaction with the foreground ghosts and orby pill things. Other than that, it's a generic minigame level. This would be okay for any other time; such as being made out of pure random and placed in the Rooms sub-forum - but this is a tournament. I have decided to give you another chance, however, because I believe it's possible that you two could make an awesome relatable level if you follow what I just typed.

I would like to thank you and Gadgetgeek for pointing out that the minis were not quite connected to the gameplay of pacman. Theditor and I have made sure not to repeat this mistake in our next submission. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

@MIHB (the post below) No, not quite done, but the layout and concept make it easy to connect the minis to the theme.

Last edited by Stagecrew (Jul 18 2013 5:09:46 am)

#361 Before February 2015

MIHB

Ohho wrote:
MIHB wrote:

Theditor/Stagecrew

I would like to thank you and Gadgetgeek for pointing out that the minis were not quite connected to the gameplay. Theditor and I have made sure not to repeat this mistake in our next submission. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Oo, already done?

#362 Before February 2015

rocktheworld313

In our defense...

YEAH I MADE A COFFEE BREAK LEVEL

#363 Before February 2015

Not a good place to say, but I cleared my inbox Drock //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#364 Before February 2015

hopperkk

Good luck all!

#365 Before February 2015

nofnof

can i still make a level in the theme, just for fun?
(not to be judged)

#366 Before February 2015

Koto

Yes, but do it here so I don't get confused, please.

#367 Before February 2015

tak4n

Sorry for being so late to the party but...
From playing a long time and getting to know all the players here, I reckon Boh & Jaybm and theditor & Stagecrew will get to the final two teams. However looking at the lists of teams, it is definitely not obvious and is very hard to say what it's going to get down to and each team has an equivalent chance of winning.
Personally I will always vote and hope that midevilangel and darkonemeow would win and knowing them well, I know that they are hard workers and can easily get there.
I am also very sad MFL and MIHB didn't win the first round, kind of disappointing.

Good luck to everyone, I will definitely pay more attention to this topic, oh and I hope muffin loses //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile jk

EDIT: After actually reading the topic, I realised MFL and MIHB didn't actually lose? Don't quote me, let me read what's been going on...

Last edited by tak4n (Jul 18 2013 1:19:40 am)

signature3_zpsttrhtmyh.png

#368 Before February 2015

Polis

Not sure why me and Benji moved but we went trough de first round so yay

Gl imgood

#369 Before February 2015

Benje00

Polis wrote:

Not sure why me and Benji moved but we went trough de first round

2legit_zps7ff2efe2.png

Last edited by Benje00 (Jul 18 2013 7:55:03 am)

#370 Before February 2015

Master1

Polis wrote:

Not sure why me and Benji moved but we went trough de first round so yay

Gl imgood

Nobody in H submitted a map.
We needed to fill the spot, or the brackets would screw up.
Your team and Shinyporygon/hummerz had the best maps of the losers.
MIHB/MFL dropped out, so both of you got in.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#371 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

benje sucks though please remove

#372 Before February 2015

Polis

Master1 wrote:

Nobody in H submitted a map.
We needed to fill the spot, or the brackets would screw up.
Your team and Shinyporygon/hummerz had the best maps of the losers.
MIHB/MFL dropped out, so both of you got in.

Alright thanks For explanation

#373 Before February 2015

ShinyPorygon5

KOTO, for future reference, hummerz5 is on vacation, and he doesn't really have the time to help, nor in my opinion does he seem very enthusiastic about it. Either way, he's helped a little so far, but I think that's all he'll be doing. But, I think I can do fine without him.

Don't remove him just yet though, I should probably confirm it with him.

EDIT: Yikes, uh, 4 more days left and nobody is done.

Last edited by ShinyPorygon5 (Jul 21 2013 12:02:55 pm)

#374 Before February 2015

skullz17

ShinyPorygon5 wrote:

4 more days left and nobody is done.

Well medium worlds don't take that long to fill. Me and JR2 have only done like 15 minutes of work. And plus some people like to PM their worlds.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#375 Before February 2015

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

I finished today, but I dont want to be the first to post //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Koto142393554925883

Board footer