Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

A suggestion to get more people to chat

As most of us know, the IRC chat isn't exactly the most popular place. My solution is to count IM's as 1/20th of a comment. 20 IM's results in +1 comment. Spam, as usual, will result in getting banned from the chat.

If this wouldn't raise chat popularity, I don't know what will.

What do you guys think?

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#2 Before February 2015

Toby

Re: A suggestion to get more people to chat

If the chat was integrated into the site (flash or the like) then more people would use it. IRC is too retro for most EE players :3

#3 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Retro? The IRC is a little too... what's the word... coded?   Random HTML/CSS crap for me.

#4 Before February 2015

NikK

Not bad idea but how would they code it?

#5 Before February 2015

Chimi

TakoMan02 wrote:

Retro? The IRC is a little too... what's the word... coded?   Random HTML/CSS crap for me.

That's not HTML or CSS. Html is what your browser reads when rendering a page, CSS is Custom Style Sheet or something like that. Used for making cool designs in HTML. IRC coding is called mIRC. It's ancient.

#6 Before February 2015

Kaslai
Official Caroler

I can't believe the level of ignorance among people these days...

To use IRC, all you need to do is know the commands. It's no different than those "cheat consoles" that are so popular. And once you get your nickname registered, there is no need to ever use an IRC command, save for maybe /join, /quit and /leave, all of which are very self explanatory. It's not like registering your nickname is very hard, either. On Rizon, all you need do is type /ns register PASSWORD EMAIL. Then an EMail is sent to EMAIL with a link to click. Click it and your nick is registered though. You don't even have to register your nick though.

If you use QChat, everything's done for you. All you need do is just type in what your name should be, and click Join. And if you ask me, even QChat is easier to use than TinyChat. The only thing IRC lacks in comparison to TinyChat is webcam support; in other words, IRC is less of a strain on bandwidth. =p

IRC is old, yes. But so is HTML; so is C; so is E-Mail; so is TV; so is MSN; The list goes on. If "old" technology is still in widespread usage today, doesn't that mean it's good to a certain extent? And besides, IRC is just a protocol, rather than a proprietary POS. Thus, the creator of the client can make its usage as user friendly as they want to. I could make a client right now that would coddle you during the entire process, giving a nice GUI, and room browser, etc. Or I could just expose you to the raw I/O and expect you to look at and send messages like *!*@123.sesame.street~ privmsg #eeforum: Hello.

Trust me; there's nothing wrong or hard to use with IRC. It's the users that are unwilling to use something they never heard of before, or something that sounds too old or techie.

#7 Before February 2015

EpicWaffle

The IRC chat looks a little.... Plain and Boring. :3

#8 Before February 2015

Sansander97

I would personally think the IM:Comment ratio should be 1:10 rather than 1:20. After all, instant messages aren't too far out of a comment's league.

#9 Before February 2015

EE_Scythe

Just so everyone is aware.. You don't HAVE to use the IRC provided on this forums. If you have another IRC client, You would still be able to join the same Chat Channel here at the EE Forums. If you think QChat is pretty plain, Then go find another IRC that you like. ._.

#10 Before February 2015

Chimi

I don't use the forum chat at all. It annoys me.

#11 Before February 2015

EENinja

Tiny chat is just so much easier + more private.

#12 Before February 2015

SmittyW

IRC WILL only be fun if there were more people on it, because when you Log-in, there's only one other person to talk to.

#13 Before February 2015

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

yeah i NEVER use the IRC anymore.. WAY to annoying.. I actually like tinychat better... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#14 Before February 2015

Chimi

Kay. joined for like 20 minutes. said hi. noone answered. there was like 10 others there. so i left.

#15 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Yes, everyone in the forum chat is always afk. Plus, I constantly get disconnected.

#16 Before February 2015

SmittyW

Big problem that has been clarified. Everyone is AFK almost all the time. Tinychat is better because it is created in a room recently and people know is is for the sole purpose of usually one topic.

#17 Before February 2015

Rurigok

I really feel sorry for anyone who uses Tinychat - it is simply horrid in my opinion.   The reason no one is getting on IRC is.. well.. because no one is getting on IRC.   If people keep joining and leaving because there isn't enough people, it creates a vicious circle of inactive-ness.

#18 Before February 2015

BillyP

Yeah, people join, say hello, don't receive a reply in the next 10 seconds and leave. How can anyone expect a reply from others if they only give them 30 seconds max. to do so?

#19 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Tinychat is too basic; we need moderators and chat owners and different ranks. Plus it's too simple - I like options, like smileys and curse word filters, or friend-list.

mIRC is too much. Like others have said before, it's ancient. Most of the players on this game are young, and need to be amused by something other then black+white, mumbo jumbo we don't need and that horrid courier font.

If mIRC was JUST chat, had an easier way to register then typing a bunch of commands I don't know, and was a little more appealing I'd love it.

And if tinychat had more ranks and options, and maybe a little more serious other then bright colors and "buh-loop" noises every time you hit something, I'd like that too.

Just basic chat. Words and smileys. I like this chat, except for the random noises:
http://elementscommunity.com/chat/chat.php

Tako1423702586258846

Board footer