Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Rep Game and Actual Rep

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO GIVE REP FOR THE REP GAME.   It artificially inflates members' rep.   For example, look at brandonsosmart's rep.   He's gotten 56 +reps, and only 16 AREN'T from the rep game.   And eleven of those are by the same person for the same post, which shouldn't happen, but that's besides the point.   We need to let people know NOT to give rep for the Rep Game.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#2 Before February 2015

MadReaper

Re: Rep Game and Actual Rep

Agreed.

#3 Before February 2015

a3person
Website

What are rep games?   If i figure out I might agree.

I'm in love with a dragon <3

forumsignature_by_a3person-db1n7ec.png

#4 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Games where you give reasons why would give someone rep.   Like the ban the person above you, but with rep.   Ex: I would give a3person rep because he has dragons in his sig.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#5 Before February 2015

MadReaper

There is a game called "The rep game", where you say "+rep to the person above me because..."
Some people really increase the rep, for no actual reason...

#6 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

That's basically what I just said, lawl.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#7 Before February 2015

MadReaper

A few seconds before I did, I didn't see it.

#8 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Ha, it was pretty close, wasn't it?

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#9 Before February 2015

a3person
Website

So people literally give other people rep in the rep game when their not suppose to?

I'm in love with a dragon <3

forumsignature_by_a3person-db1n7ec.png

#10 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Correct.   You are correct.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#11 Before February 2015

MadReaper

Cyclone wrote:

+Rep to Xpo20.
Reason: "This is an interesting game."

----------

Side note, couldn't this get confusing and lead to actual +reps?

The first reply in the rep game
brandon(notso)smart has 43 +reps from that game...

#12 Before February 2015

EEguy

Agreed, but the only way to stop it that would actually work is closing the thread, which isn't the best thing to do.

#13 Before February 2015

Bobithan

I got a -rep from brandon(notso)smart saying "You didn't +rep me //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile" (Removed it)
-repped him then somebody gave him a +rep saying "+rep by bobithan"

Last edited by Bobithan (Jul 16 2011 4:59:06 pm)

aka towwl

#14 Before February 2015

epicstonemason

All my reputation points are natural. The -reps are my battle scars. They show that wounds I received while fighting to save this forum from the heathens! I have fought to uphold justice in this savage place. My reputation shows my courage, honor, bravery, and power. I need to be awarded the EE Medal of Honor.

#15 Before February 2015

Chimi

You've fought against the higher power that knows exactly what they're doing.

But yes, I think someone should just ask the topic owner to edit in this rule (or just have a mod do it). When I first came to this forum I did the forum games a bit and didn't realize that you weren't supposed to not give actual rep.

#16 Before February 2015

Aoitenshi

I think they are craps, either.

#17 Before February 2015

jakery

Repost of a PM I sent a few minutes ago:

---
If there were special privileges attached to rep count (like on Stackoverflow.com) then I'd agree that this is a problem. However, rep is just a number. People give each other rep for no good reason all the time.

I think the rep game thread is pointless (as are all of the "Forum Games" threads), but I don't see why we should shut it down. Some people seem to enjoy it.
---

Also, is this a problem because other users' rep is artificially inflated, or because their rep is higher than your rep? If the reason is because their rep is higher, get on that thread and get some more +reps for yourself. Like I said, it's just a number. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#18 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

It's only a problem because their rep is artificially inflated.   I'm okay with anyone having a higher reputation than me, but only if they deserve it.   People like you, TakoMan02, Bobithan, et cetera, deserve it, because your posts were helpful.   But if they get it for a game, that's not good.   And rep is more than just a number to a lot of people, it's a trust meter, just like registration date (to some).   You'd trust someone who registered on Christmas last year with 200 rep more than someone who registered three seconds ago with -1 rep, right?   I would, unless the last person's post is more well-thought-out and accurate, in that case I would +rep them to get them on their way to high rep.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#19 Before February 2015

calculusguy

http://eeforumify.com/viewtopic.php?id=10932
LOL faster way to artificially inflate your rep than the rep game.

#20 Before February 2015

jakery

@32OrtonEdge32dh

You do have a good point that the rep number is kind of an endorsement even if we don't like to think it is. I suppose I agree although I hadn't given it much thought. We all say rep is just a number, but the number really does carry weight.

The problem is, if we start removing +reps, we create more problems:

The people whose rep goes down will get upset. And they should get upset, because we gave that thread special attention. If we take away +reps from that thread, we have to start removing "no-good-reason" +reps from everybody, not just the players of the rep forum game. We would have to come up with a formal standard for what is and isn't a good reason to issue +rep. Who decides on the rules for +rep? Nobody will agree on what does and doesn't count.

If we start down this path, a trivial forum feature turns into SRS BUSINESS, and the whole thing is ruined for everyone. We can't remove trivial +reps from one thread and not from others. It would be hypocritical.

What do you think?

btw, I kind of squirmed when you said that I deserved high rep. About 70% of my my +rep is because of my animated sigs, not because of my posts. There's really no standard.

#21 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

I suppose you're right.   If we start removing those, we would have to get rid of all of them...so on and so forth.   So I guess I'll drop the vendetta, but I'm glad you broadened your view on reputation.   Thanks for listening, and...+rep.   Also, I think you deserve your 134 rep, no matter where you got it from, because you're smart.   Your posts are helpful and accurate.   And your sigs are pretty good.   //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#22 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Post count and rep should not be changed in Forum Games.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#23 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Not possible currently to disable posts and rep in specific forums.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#24 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

You could do it like on fail.forumify.com in the Spam section, right?   Posts don't count there, I think.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#25 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

The spam section is routinely cleaned out and then posts re-indexed. Rep still counts, and posts still count if we don't clear it.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

32OrtonEdge32dh1423704015257417

Board footer