Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

supadorf24

How to Make a Good Post

Hello, my name isn't Steven, and I'm going to show you how to make a good post.

DON'T DO THIS:

Post everything in General Discussion: We have OVER THIRTEEN (fourteen) different subforums for you to choose from, not just General Discussion. GD is for Everybody Edits-related discussions. If you just killed a cat and you want to share it with us, post it in Off-Topic. This also includes things such as asking for signatures (try Creative) and asking how to change your signature (Forum Discussion). NOTE: killing cats is illegal.

Post entirely in color: Reading entire posts in different colors is A PAIN. I have never read a book that was printed in color. There's a reason.

POST TOPIC TITLES IN ALL-CAPS: What you have to say probably isn't as important as you think it is. All-caps topic titles are obnoxious.

WRITE OTHER STUFF IN ALL-CAPS: CALM DOWN! WE CAN HEAR YOU! Try using italics, boldface, or underlining to emphasize certain points. It's okay to use all-caps every now and then, but entire paragraphs of you virtually yelling at us is stupid.

Create duplicate threads: If someone has already created a thread about jump roping, there is no need for you to create a similar thread. Trending in General Discussion as of now is "supermen2". There have been about 20 threads about him. We don't need any more.

Create massive walls of text: Try to divide your post into paragraphs. This will make it a lot easier to read for your audience. Example:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

versus

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Over-punctuate: One exclamation point is enough!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter how excited you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flame/be a jerk: There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but it's not okay to tell someone that they suck for no reason.

Spam smileys: One smiley at a time. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

DO THIS:

Use grammar: Missing a comma every now and then won't hurt anyone, but never using correct spelling, periods, and capitalization could become annoying. Example:

i liek puppys wen there fer is vary soft but wen they bite me i hate them

versus

I like puppies when their fur is very soft, but when they bite me I hate them.

Be interesting: If you have nothing contributive to add to a discussion, there's really no point in posting. If there is a heated political debate going on in Off-Topic that the provocative TakoMan02 has started, don't just write, "I don't follow politics."

Don't write anything at all. It's like going to a yard sale just to tell the seller that you have no money.
Punctuate correctly: Learn; how; to; use; semicolons; or; don't; use; them; at; all.

---

That's all. If there's anything else I should add, tell me.

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Oct 2 2011 8:59:01 am)

#2 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Re: How to Make a Good Post

Good job, not Steven.

I vote for stickying.

Supadorf24 wrote:

If there is a heated political debate going on in Off-Topic that the provocative TakoMan02 has started, don't just write, "I don't follow politics."

<3

Add to "don't do this":

Be obnoxious.

LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:o

Last edited by Tako (Oct 1 2011 2:52:12 pm)

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#3 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Or forgeting to put a link in a room thread, or post something offtopic like:

OMG I GOT A NEW FORUM!!!1

#4 Before February 2015

Cyral

Wow, pretty much sums good posting up.

or for you people who still post badly:

Wow soms it up on hoow 2 pozt go0d

Last edited by Cyral (Oct 1 2011 3:16:59 pm)

Player Since 2011. I used to make bots and stuff.

#5 Before February 2015

Tachyonic

Don't be a complete jerk and rub something in someone's face, just because you have better things than them doesn't make you a complete badass.

#6 Before February 2015

BillyP

Don't use random; punctuation marks cause' you think (they'll) make you look: better and/or kooler. It just" makes 'you look: like a nub.

This especially applies to the random uses of semi-colons I keep seeing. It's; very; annoying.

Last edited by BillyP (Oct 9 2011 7:18:23 am)

#7 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

But semi-colons are the best punctuation ever; they're cool and doesn't afraid of anything.

Um, don't use smileys [at all is preferred], directly embed youtube videos, or directly show an image unless you have a good reason. Links are good.

Don't minimod or say, 'this should be stickied!'.

Make sure what you're saying is actually on topic and makes sense.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#8 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

Smileys are okay as long as you don't use a lot of them. Example:

I luv catz sooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!111111:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Would be annoying, but this wouldn't be:

I love cats so much! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Last edited by kingpooultra (Oct 1 2011 5:59:49 pm)

#9 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Updated.

#10 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

Good. I see you included our inputs. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#11 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Supadorf24 wrote:

I have never read a book that was printed in color.

So the book was blank, then? Or is it that you don't read?

Nice guide otherwise, though. You may want to change that to "I have never read a book that wasn't monochrome", but the people who the guide is directed towards probably won't understand.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#12 Before February 2015

supadorf24

I don't consider black a color. For instance, I could print something "in color" or "in black and white". A book is printed in black and white.

#13 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

Black and white are shades not colors.

#14 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Not Steven wrote:

Be interesting: if you have nothing contributive to add to a discussion, there's really no point in posting.

Learn how to capitalize, Mr. "Use correct grammar or die bla bla bla".

Also, add something about italicization.

There's an italicize button for a reason. Don't just use all CAPS to emphasize something. Make sure to italicize. Sometimes making things bold is okay.

Last edited by BuzzerBee (Oct 2 2011 1:09:00 am)

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#15 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

WEAL I; LIEK DIS; POZT; IT; MAEKZ; SCEANC

Hehe,anyway,i just waited for somebody to post this!Good job! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
MANY people make such mistakes,and it's annoying. The one that annoys me the most is when they write LIKE THIS like we are blind //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Last edited by Pawlowic (Oct 2 2011 1:38:14 am)

#16 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Updated.

#17 Before February 2015

Tachyonic

Add pictures, make it stand out.
Just don't flood the topic with pictures.
Not too much, not too little.

Same goes for Gifs and Videos.

Last edited by Tachyonic (Oct 2 2011 9:09:29 am)

#18 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

Pawlowic wrote:

Hehe,anyway,i just waited for somebody to post this!Good job! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
MANY people make such mistakes,and it's annoying. The one that annoys me the most is when they write LIKE THIS like we are blind //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

lol the irony, you didn't even put spaces between the commas and the exclamation marks even though your supposed to.

#19 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

kingpooultra wrote:
Pawlowic wrote:

lol the irony, you didn't even put spaces between the commas and the exclamation marks even though your supposed to.

That is just because i am lazy. + It's no big deal,You still read it with no problems,right?

#20 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

Yep, I just found it funny //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#21 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

kingpooultra wrote:

1. You should've read the first post and taken its advice before posting
2. Shades of what? Is dark blue just a shade, then? It's not a color, it's just a shade of blue.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#22 Before February 2015

Tachyonic

JadElClemens wrote:
kingpooultra wrote:

2. Shades of what? Is dark blue just a shade, then? It's not a color, it's just a shade of blue.

The main colours are Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple and Orange.
The rests are shades - still colours; but shades of one of those 6 colours.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

#23 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

GadgetGeek wrote:
JadElClemens wrote:
kingpooultra wrote:

The main colours are Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple and Orange.
The rests are shades - still colours; but shades of one of those 6 colours.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You forgot the muddy brown that you get when you mix them all together. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

:.|:;

#24 Before February 2015

supadorf24

JadElClemens wrote:
kingpooultra wrote:

The point is that if I wear a white T-shirt, no one is going to call it colorful.

#25 Before February 2015

gio500

Adding to don't post:

Don't go too off-topic:

If you want to tell something about asking which do you prefer about cats and dogs, Do it like this:

I think dogs are better.

Do not do this:

Mice are my favorite.

It is somehow related but very far.

supadorf241423706118255314

Board footer