Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

krubby

Members (related to bans)

i think a title should be given to people called "member" which is given out fairly liberally to people who contribute to the community and have for a while. What it would be is that a member wouldn't get banned for more than a week for things like swearing, spam, low-key flaming and more subjective decisions made by mods. if it was something like racism, extreme flaming or hacking where they obviously know they're doing something wrong, then of course they would get permabanned, but smaller things would just be a week. a significant number of long time forum members have been permabanned just because they messed up once or twice with a post and a mod decided that it was warning deserving, only it was that person's 5th warning. a week feels like a long time on a forum, and if the person actually does like the forum, then they'll be more careful next time. the member status wouldn't have any specific guidelines, i think people would just ask for member status and if, say, 3 or more mods/admins say yes, then that person can be added to a topic with a list of members. so whatdya say? people still get punished for breaking rules, but if they're regulars then they at most have to go away for a while.

#2 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Re: Members (related to bans)

Reputation should not be rewarded with an impartial system. I feel that this would be a lot of work, more subjective than the current system, and overall not the best fix. What we have been considering, and take this with a grain of salt, is for a point-based rule system.

Your average useless/spam post would earn you 20 points, while something more serious like flaming or language would earn you 40 points. The severe transgressions like inappropriate posts or disclosure of personal information result in a permanent ban, end of story.

At the end of each day, one point is taken away. At 60 points or more, you cannot post.

Once more, take that with a grain of salt. There has been absolutely no indication whether or not Cyclone would be interested in adopting said system.

This would mean forgiveness over a long time-span, which sounds most realistic. Just because you've been here a while, does not mean you're above the law. That's my opinion on this subject.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#3 Before February 2015

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

@krubby Another great idea that can't be implemented due to the sheer amount of users.
@Tako Would that also apply to people who raid?   Like inappropriate content, gore, things like that?

Last edited by 32OrtonEdge32dh (Sep 5 2012 1:57:07 pm)

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#4 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

32OrtonEdge32dh wrote:

@Tako Would that also apply to people who raid?   Like inappropriate content, gore, things like that?

Of course. They get the same punishment as everyone else, and anything not appropriate for a child would be under the "permanent ban" category.

And of course, we are not limited to what the rules say, and the ultimate decision lies with the moderator.

#5 Before February 2015

krubby

how is it some "above the law" thing? a week ban is a large punishment for someone who enjoys the forum, and the people who do get that are people who enjoy the forums. and i imagine how it would work would just be people post in a topic for it "can i be a member" and then a mod would just be like "you've been around for a pretty long time and haven't caused much trouble so sure" and then that person would be added to the list unless someone else objects.

Last edited by krubby (Sep 5 2012 2:46:20 pm)

#6 Before February 2015

Arceus64

krubby wrote:

What it would be is that a member wouldn't get banned for more than a week for things like swearing, spam, low-key flaming and more subjective decisions made by mods.

So you're saying I could mass-spam the forums, and with your system I would only get banned for a week?

#7 Before February 2015

krubby

you'd be permabanned, chump. by spam i mean you make a post that is deemed too short or off-topic even though it wasn't intentional. it should take some pretty easy judgement to tell whether someone is trying to be a troll.

#8 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

krubby wrote:

how is it some "above the law" thing? a week ban is a large punishment for someone who enjoys the forum, and the people who do get that are people who enjoy the forums.

While you may not be entirely exempt from punishment, you're still given a fragment of what you should be getting. It's a special treatment, which I do not believe in. The forum does not conform to you; you conform to the forum.

Let's put this into example: a cop, not on duty, speeds over the limit. Would you consider it fair if he was fined just a fraction of the normal fee? I certainly wouldn't. He's just like everyone else, his destination no more important than the surrounding cars'.

This example encompasses the point that reputation should not equate less harsh punishment. However, I believe there should be a door of opportunity for redemption, which is why I favor a point-based system.

#9 Before February 2015

krubby

my point is that this is for people who are already conformed but make errors here and there. it's impossible to follow the extremely strict rules of this forum (i've never seen a forum with more ban-happy mods) without occasional slip-ups. they get banned for a week just to show that the rules are still upheld even if you didn't mean to break the rules, but it's not a big deal about it. seriously, i'm talking about people everyone knows. would you permaban zoey or twipply or ortonedge just because they said something that's considered off-topic and they're onto their last warning? that's stupid! everyone knows them and they clearly aren't doing it to cause trouble. it's not some redemption thing it's just a punishment for doing something wrong but clearly isn't significant.

krubby1423710837250595

Board footer