Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Master1

We need a new sub-forum.

There needs to be a sub-forum for Departures.

Why do we need it???

- It's extremely disrespectful when someone tries to tell their friends that they are going away, and a moderator just locks the topic on them.
- Putting it in your signature is not good enough. Most people don't even pay attention to signatures, or feel like looking up posts of people to make sure they didn't leave.
- Just because you don't care if the person leaves, doesn't mean there isn't someone who would.
- I also find it mean that the off topic section is for basically anything; yet topics on leaving still get locked.
- We already have an intro section... Just seems like this would fit well.

Discuss.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#2 Before February 2015

Koto

Re: We need a new sub-forum.

I think it would be nice to have, but there should be a limit, on people who often leave/return to the forums.   I would still like to see this, however, for the above reasons.

#3 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Introductions was once Introductions and Departures for about an hour before Cyclone got on and changed it back.

Cyclone says no.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#4 Before February 2015

Master1

I don't understand why though. What harm could it possibly do?

Last edited by Master1 (May 9 2013 2:04:34 pm)

#5 Before February 2015

Chimi

It mostly adds an outlet for a lot of peoples' drama.

Hey guise.
So like, recently, everybody hates me and I am really getting sick of, like, everybody hating me.
I just wanted to, like, let you know. We are, like, through.
I am, like, never coming back.

#6 Before February 2015

Master1

At least they'll have a place to put it, other than in the general discussion. Besides if you don't like it, you don't have to pay attention to it.
I see no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to express their feelings anyways.

Last edited by Master1 (May 9 2013 6:29:05 pm)

#7 Before February 2015

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Chimi wrote:

It mostly adds an outlet for a lot of peoples' drama.

Hey guise.
So like, recently, everybody hates me and I am really getting sick of, like, everybody hating me.
I just wanted to, like, let you know. We are, like, through.
I am, like, never coming back.

If you don't like any sort of topic that comes in a specific sub-forum, don't go there. Problem solved.

#8 Before February 2015

Bash

Different55 wrote:

Introductions was once Introductions and Departures for about an hour before Cyclone got on and changed it back.

Cyclone says no.

Aside from this, which is the end of the issue for the moment.

I'll admit, having it in your signature is a pretty weak way of saying "I'm quitting this online game because I have better things to do", so I completely agree on that part.   You just can't get that message of "I feel as though everyone should know I am leaving, I was that well known that I deserve it" through to enough people by doing that.   I mean, who reads signatures anyway?   And who wants to leave people wondering where you went?

And for that reason, I present to you a fantastic new innovation thought up by myself in the last few seconds.   PRIVATE MESSAGES!!11!111!   You can let everyone who you care about know that you don't feel like talking to them anymore, without the possibility that someone who actually doesn't care that you are leaving will tell you to just get out.   It's a shocking twist on an old form of communication, and we both should market this to the masses.

But wait, there's more!   With this new idea comes another one which you can use at the same time, it's almost like you are getting two pieces of knowledge for the low price of my personal time.   You can exploit that old idea of signature messages and turn it into a channel of communication to those who read your posts long after the rest of us stop caring about them.   Have you ever wanted to tell someone that you found a better game to burn your time with?   Have you ever felt that people cared where you were all the time?   If you have, you probably have a stalker or are one yourself.   But if you aren't, or really don't care, you can also tell everyone how much you hate this place, and tell them all where you would rather be!   It will leave a long lasting memory of "Oh wow, I really hate that image that this person's signature" and remind them just how much they wish they could disable them!

And the best part, is that they can disable them!

Edit:   If you quote this post, quote the first part.   This post is long, and it doesn't all need to be quoted.   If you are responding to a specific part, quote just that part.

Edit:   This post responds to 4/5 of the points made (I missed #4).

Edit #2:   It responds in this order (with some overlap and repeating excluded): Second, Fifth, Third, and then First.

Last edited by Bass5098 (May 10 2013 6:13:38 pm)

#9 Before February 2015

Insanity

Cyclone's bad and he should feel bad.

I also agree with Master1.

Last edited by 1nsanity (May 10 2013 3:52:31 pm)

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#10 Before February 2015

Master1

Bass5098 wrote:
Different55 wrote:

Cyclone says no.

Once again, I'm going to say that adding it doesn't hurt the forum in any way. It can only help. Also I didn't ask for a sarcastic comment. This is a serious topic, and I only care to hear serious answers.

Last edited by Bass5098 (May 10 2013 6:02:02 pm)

#11 Before February 2015

Koto

Bass5098 wrote:

I dont care really

I do.

#12 Before February 2015

Master1

I'd like to mention that I've given 5 reasons for why we should have it, and I haven't even seen one legit reason for why we shouldn't.

#13 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

Although this would be nice, it isn't entirely necessary. Besides, IMHO there are other sub-forums that would be more useful. A Contests sub-forum, for example.

:.|:;

#14 Before February 2015

Master1

I just noticed something. The rules say nothing against making topics about people leaving. Why do they get locked?

#15 Before February 2015

killingpepper123

Bass5098 wrote:
Different55 wrote:

Cyclone says no.

I dont care really

I'm I the only one who discovered Bass' secret message?

And I personally think another sub-forum wont kill anyone.

EDIT: no wait koto did before me //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Last edited by killingpepper123 (May 10 2013 9:41:08 pm)

#16 Before February 2015

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

I think everyone agrees with master1, except the mods..

I also think that unless there is an actual reason against posting goodbyes, they shouldn't be locked, like master said

And why would it be so bad?

Ah well, the lords have spoken (although it would be nice to get a straight answer for once and actually tell us why the he'll we can't have a new sub forum)

Last edited by Pyromaniac (May 11 2013 5:23:52 am)

#17 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

?I don't knooowwwwww just because cyclone says sooooo is why they must goooooo ?

There really aren't any valid reasons why we lock them, but there are alternatives to posting topics, like Bass's sarcastic post said.

- ShinsukeIto

#18 Before February 2015

Master1

If there aren't valid reasons for locking them... then why do it? It's very disrespectful to the ones who made it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#19 Before February 2015

GKAbyss

It would be neat if the forum had some sort of status thing to show if it is someone's birthday, or whether they are active on the forums or game, etc etc
you could also have sections of automatic announcements showing recently changed status things, or the birthdays of the day.
The forum is already able to show who is online, and has it shown at the bottom of the index, so I do not think this is impossible.
This way it may not take up as much space, and will be much easier for people to see the news than if it were in a topic or a signature

Last edited by GKAbyss (May 11 2013 9:51:38 am)

#20 Before February 2015

Insanity

The only problem that would result would be potentially overdramatic scrubs asking for attention, but a sub-forum like this would benefit the community.

Last edited by 1nsanity (May 11 2013 10:35:34 am)

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#21 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Master1 wrote:

If there aren't valid reasons for locking them... then why do it? It's very disrespectful to the ones who made it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

Because admins said so. That's the way things have been and until either an admin says okay or I see a good enough reason to ignore it, I will keep things as they are.

- ShinsukeIto

#22 Before February 2015

Koto

What if we just allow people to be able to gravedig their Introductions topic to let people know that they are leaving.   If people happen to leave/return multiple times, then their post about their leaving could just be deleted, and reposted.   I think that would solve everything.

#23 Before February 2015

Master1

KingOfTheOzone wrote:

What if we just allow people to be able to gravedig their Introductions topic to let people know that they are leaving.   If people happen to leave/return multiple times, then their post about their leaving could just be deleted, and reposted.   I think that would solve everything.

I'd accept this idea too.
Also just something I noticed... If leaving topics get closed due to being "useless" (which is in the rules) Then what happens if someone makes a topic about leaving, but includes one sentence of useful information? Does it get closed or does it stay?

#24 Before February 2015

XxAtillaxX

Master1 wrote:

Also just something I noticed... If leaving topics get closed due to being "useless" (which is in the rules) Then what happens if someone makes a topic about leaving, but includes one sentence of useful information? Does it get closed or does it stay?

One sentence of useful information doesn't entitle the entire message to be rendered useful.
I think it's a misconception that it would be based upon balance of usefulness.

>topic's main intent is departure notice
>into the trash it goes
2n3ale.png

Last edited by ?tilla (May 15 2013 1:11:09 pm)

signature.png
*u stinky*

#25 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

A subforum would not solve any of the problems you're describing.

The people who care about your presence can surely indicate that you are absent, even without a notification.

And it's not rude. We're locking topics that are arrogant and unneeded on many levels. It's not just you "trying to let your friends know", it's screaming at every person that walks by. That's too much.

Private messages and/or signature notifications are the happy medium between this and nothing.

If leaving topics get closed due to being "useless" (which is in the rules) Then what happens if someone makes a topic about leaving, but includes one sentence of useful information? Does it get closed or does it stay?

Depends on what your intent is. We can (easily) tell if you're either posting a departure with something "relevant" stuck on the side or actually sharing something important and mentioning that you will be inactive as a relevant segue.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Master11423711885249547

Board footer