Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

ShinyPorygon5

The recent amount of advertising threads

Why is no one else reacting to this? There's been tons of threads posted with

"Watch SomeShow Online"

or some news report or something.

And, apparently we get banned for posting in those, and to make it worse, people +rep the spammer, saying stuff like: Very helpful.

So, now I'm not really sure about it. Anyways, can't you simply just IP ban the user so you don't have to continually do this?

EDIT: There's a new one in a different language about football jerseys.

Last edited by ShinyPorygon5 (Jul 24 2013 7:14:46 am)

#2 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

Re: The recent amount of advertising threads

As far as I'm aware (a mod can verify this)

- Replies to adbot threads count as spam as it makes it harder to clean up

- People giving +reps is sarcastic and is that person being funny

- The best course of action is to report the thread as a adbot and ignore it and a mod will clean it up later.

:.|:;

#3 Before February 2015

ShinyPorygon5

Fiendish Llama wrote:

- The best course of action is to report the thread as a adbot and ignore it and a mod will clean it up later.

Again, can't they just IP ban?

#4 Before February 2015

Marios

I think rechapta/recapta/whateverthisiscalledanyway should be used in making accounts.

I don't remember if rechapta/recapta/whatever exists, cause i have ages to go to register.

#5 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

ShinyPorygon5 wrote:
Fiendish Llama wrote:

Again, can't they just IP ban?

Firstly: yes, there's a ton of spambots. Yes, it's a problem. No, I don't know why we have so many spam bots. (Getting rid of spam bots is one of my favorite things to do on the forums -- mainly because it doesn't require much work, even if it is incredibly frustrating and occasionally time consuming. There's always a ton of reports which makes it easy since all I'd have to do is ban/delete/zap reports and I don't think I typically miss posts -- but that's not saying much because I still dislike it.)

Secondly: It doesn't make it harder to clean up -- unless it's not the spambot's thread, then it would be a terrible pain -- but it does count as spam and because most mods are lazy is probably the only reason people don't get warned for it.
HOWEVER, that does not mean it's 'okay' to reply to a spambot. In fact, it's one of those things that are incredibly annoying. If you reply to spambots, I will briefly feel like throttling you. Don't. do. it. Don't minimod. Don't reply to spambots. DON'T MINIMOD. DO NOT. REPLY. TO SPAMBOTS. OR MINIMOD. AND DO NOT DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. YES, WE'RE AWARE IT'S A SPAMBOT. EVERYONE IS. DO NOT POINT THIS OUT IN THE THREAD. THIS DOES NOT HELP US IN THE LEAST BIT. REPORT IT. REPORT IT WITH A MESSAGE THAT CLEARLY SAYS IT'S A SPAM BOT.

I cannot stress enough the rage that I feel when someone replies to a spambot. I even mentioned this earlier, when I saw that someone had replied to a spam bot. I said "oh god i swear every time someone replies to a spam bot i want to stab something." Do not do it. Holy crap, I cannot. Pet Peeve number one.   Repping is just a small nuisance because it's pointless and just why. It's not funny, and I don't suggest doing it either. The bot does not care.

Thirdly: YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THAT IS ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO DO. Report it. Move on.

Fourthly: Yes, you know, if all the bots had the same IP. It's not as simple as "lol just ip ban" when a lot of spambots have a unique IP, or I'm assuming they do since I am by no means an expert on such things.

It's sort of like that "NASA spent a ton of dollars making a perfect pen that can write anywhere, including in zero gravity!!! the Russians just used a pencil!!!1!!1!!!! look at how much money nasa wasted!!" which discounts the fact that using a pencil in zero gravity is highly dangerous due to, you know, the fact that pencils occasionally break. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want graphite in your very complex computer systems that allow you to live several hundred (?) miles out in space, stranded and probably unable to get help in case of a malfunction due to your inferior and primitive writing utensil that happened to short-circuit your already inferior and primitive space craft (why do you think they used a pencil? It wasn't ingenuity -- it was a lack of funds! They couldn't send Laika back to Earth! Laika was made into an EE smiley! She's a martyr!)

So basically, you are asking for an overly simple solution to a slightly more complex problem and thinking you're a genius. Like the Russians. Which is okay, because Russians are pretty cool, Comrade.

And Captchas would be used, you know, if anyone has heard from Cyclone within the past year or so.

Therefore, for the forseeable future, the spambots are always going to be a problem.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#6 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Short answer if you don't feel like digging through a wall of text:

Cyclone (the owner of Forumify) is gone so there's no chance of captchas being implemented.

All the bots have different IP's so we can only ban the bots by account.

There's really no need to post in a spam thread since everyone knows it's a spam thread but whatever we're gonna lock the thread anyway.

There's nothing wrong with repping a bot because it's going to get banned and forgotten anyway.

Just report the thread and move on.

#7 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Notsobad wrote:

What's wrong with posting news reports?   Oh and

Supadorf24 wrote:

Cyclone (the owner of Forumify) is gone

Where'd he go?

Nobody knows. At least, if they do, they haven't said anything about it.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#8 Before February 2015

Bash

The last time Cyclone implemented a captcha, the forum was flooded with spam bots.

I've told him to never do it again, and he hasn't.   And Cyclone is still alive, he just expects us to keep these forums running.

#9 Before February 2015

ShinyPorygon5

In that case, I thank you all for your explanation on this. I'll keep your advice in mind for the future.

Last edited by ShinyPorygon5 (Jul 30 2013 7:29:51 am)

ShinyPorygon5 1423712214249218

Board footer