Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

darkday

Portals

Just an idea, since we already have a spawn point, why not use the same idea for portals? Simple and easy to distinguish.
There can be many more colors than the ones shown, those are just the basic colors.
The top two (from left to right) are respectively, a spawn point, and a portal to another level.
I was thinking that maybe these two should be switched, so the one on the left is an exit to another level, and the one on the right(with the up arrow) is a spawn point.
Each column is an idea for a portal. One where the whole thing is colored, just the arrow, and just the ring. Which one do you guys like best? Obviously each colored portal goes to it's "twin". The down arrow denotes a portal you enter, and an up arrow denotes one that you exit out of.

42portals.png
And a two way portal would go something like this: 42twowayportal.png
Portals 2.0
67portalsimproved.png
Thoughts?
And I'll take suggestions for graphics design for other kinds of blocks/items

Which one do you guys like better. 2.0 or the first one? 2.0 has transparency, so it looks a lot smoother.

Heres how it would work (animation):
http://megaswf.com/serve/95316/

Last edited by darkday (Jan 4 2011 9:15:24 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Re: Portals

nice!

#3 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

I think that this is the 3rd portal drawing or so we've seen, but yours is probably the most realistic and likely to happen.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#4 Before February 2015

darkday

Thanks (:
I did take a look at the other portal drawings, and I just thought none of them really fit in with the game.

#5 Before February 2015

mistahboi

So you distinguish between portals and spawn points by their color, because spawns remain white and portals are colored? Because I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by this:

The top two (from left to right) are respectively, a spawn point, and a portal to another level.
I was thinking that maybe these two should be switched, so the one on the left is an exit to another level, and the one on the right(with the up arrow) is a spawn point.

But I think the portals with everything colored in are the best as it matches the spawn point and white doesn't always go well with other colors.

Last edited by mistahboi (Jan 3 2011 7:55:38 pm)

#6 Before February 2015

darkday

mistahboi wrote:

So you distinguish between portals and spawn points by their color, because spawns remain white and portals are colored? Because I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean

That's pretty much it. Sorry if my explanation was confusing. I added another white "portal", with the arrow facing the opposite direction for a portal that teleports to a different world, because some people have requested that future.

Last edited by darkday (Jan 3 2011 11:15:48 pm)

#7 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

GREAT IDEA! You should send this to chris.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#8 Before February 2015

Kaosslasher

Auhg, this would be so annoying in puzzle levels... you would have to remember lots about them

#9 Before February 2015

darkday

Well of course portals have the potential to be abused, but the possibilities are endless.
For example, someone could make an animated pacman level, where the ghosts are portals, sending people who get hit by the ghosts back to start.

Portals would also make it easier to traverse levels, and with inter-level portals, people could create a level-playlist: a string of themed levels that go with each other.

#10 Before February 2015

mistahboi

You could use this to send people back to the start in God Mode. You could make a maze. You can teleport boss winners to the code room. The possibilities are nigh endless. And thanks for the explanation Darkday, great idea!

#11 Before February 2015

darkday

So do you guys like 1.0 or 2.0 better?
I also added an animation to better explain how it would work.
Two way portals are not included because those seem self explanatory.

#12 Before February 2015

Krazyman50

I like these portals

#13 Before February 2015

darkday

Could you link me to the portal/s that you think are better?

Last edited by darkday (Jan 5 2011 6:43:32 pm)

#14 Before February 2015

Xpo20

These are awesome... Plus rep.

#15 Before February 2015

Alex

vY2DG.png would make a better two way portal, maybe not even the thing inbetween, just the two circles for the spawn point.
You should be able to place multiple of each teleporter. Like 8 blue ones in different areas will go to the same place if there is only one.
If there's more than one of the same colored up arrow teleporter it could do a random one, like with spawn points.
Definitely think this is the best idea for the appearance so far, Chris could make each separate color available in the shop(or better yet, color packs: rainbow colors, pale colors, neon, etc).

GJ, mate.

#16 Before February 2015

rhyst1

i love it keep p the good work //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#17 Before February 2015

Zhenia2000

How to make teleports have been in the game? (best in ee animator)

Last edited by Zhenia2000 (Jan 16 2011 3:37:32 am)

#18 Before February 2015

EDJ

First column V2.0!

Nice

darkday 1423715849245583

Board footer