Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

Feature request: vote to boot player and revert their changes.

I'm reminded of games like this (http://www.thebroth.com/) that allow group edits.   The game produced some great community pictures.   Unfortunately, EE ends up with just people messing things up.

Probably been suggested, but it would be nice to have a way to control this problem on public games.   Something like the following maybe?

* Show, who edited what tiles.
* Players can vote out a person who messes things up.
* Offer the ability to undo a particular person's edits to regain control of the game.   (A full rewindable/forwardable history system would be ideal.   See thebroth for an example.)
* Some games could require only registered users for extra protection.
* and have the ability for everyone to chat

* Allow any player to save the state of the game at any time.   This is absolutely key if you want quality edits.   Most people are not gonna contribute quality edits if they can't save their work.

Last edited by Kevin Ar18 (Mar 15 2011 12:29:28 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

jakery

Re: Feature request: vote to boot player and revert their changes.

+1 but it won't happen. I can see version control in EE being a resource-hogging nightmare.

#3 Before February 2015

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Actually, on the server end at least, You could make each block have 1 extra byte signifying the Nth player in the level. When the level owner wants, he can load back the saved version of the level, but only where X player's bricks are. While it's not a perfect antitroll, it can save a lot of heartache if you haven't saved in a while, because even if half the map is reverted to the old save (After MASSIVE trolling) you still have what's intact from the troll session.

+1

Last edited by Aslai (Mar 14 2011 9:55:27 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

jakery

Aslai wrote:

Actually, on the server end at least, You could make each block have 1 extra byte signifying the Nth player in the level. When the level owner wants, he can load back the saved version of the level, but only where X player's bricks are. While it's not a perfect antitroll, it can save a lot of heartache if you haven't saved in a while, because even if half the map is reverted to the old save (After MASSIVE trolling) you still have what's intact from the troll session.

+1

That sounds the same as the map reload feature that's already in place. (chat: /loadlevel)

#5 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Ofcourse,It would be a good thing to have only registered users get code on some levels...It would help against trolling,because guests cant get banned :\

#6 Before February 2015

Panic

Kevin Ar18 wrote:

That has been turned down many times, with good reason. One of my favourite reasons : SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.
Other than that, I think the idea is okay, however I think it might have been suggested before.

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

#7 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

jakery wrote:

+1 but it won't happen. I can see version control in EE being a resource-hogging nightmare.

Believe it or not, it might not be that much extra load.   It would consume very little CPU or bandwidth.   You already are sending the changes people make to a game to the server (so there's little extra bandwidth required).   Once on the server, you are merely storing everything as a history of changes... so that's the only area where you would need more resources: memory or storage space.   If they can handle that, then it should be possible.   (Of course, there's that hidden resource of time required to code the feature... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile, but I do think it could be worth it for a game that is supposed to be able to community editing. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile )

Panic wrote:
Kevin Ar18 wrote:

That has been turned down many times, with good reason. One of my favourite reasons : SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.
Other than that, I think the idea is okay, however I think it might have been suggested before.

The sad thing is that chat is a huge boost to making the game fun as a social/multiplayer style game. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile   Eventually, you hit a point where you really could benefit from talking with people in game -- difficult areas, collaborating on creating new stuff, etc....   (Note: Spam can be easily controlled with stuff like player-moderators, mute buttons, allowing only registered users to talk, etc....)

Oh, there's one other thing that I want to add:
* The ability for ANY player to save the state of the game at any point.   If you can't save your work, then there's really no motivation to do quality edits in the first place -- if it's just gonna get lost forever!   This is exactly how thebroth did it, btw: anyone can save the work they see in the game, scroll back and forth through the history, etc....

#8 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

BTW, regarding the undo feature -- a nice option thebroth had was to show who last edited what tiles.   That could also be a useful way to find the people who are messing up a map in EE.

#9 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

Was in a game today.... oddly enough the people who got the code actually stared collaborating to make a real level on the map.... then someone comes and ruins it.

I suspect this happens a lot totally ruining the potential of this aspect of the game.

Just wanted to say we really need the ability to boot those players, undo their changes... and later save our progress somehow.

#10 Before February 2015

Kaslai
Official Caroler

jakery wrote:
Aslai wrote:

SNIP

That sounds the same as the map reload feature that's already in place. (chat: /loadlevel)

Perhaps I didm't make myself totally clear. The level would be reverted to the old save, but only where X player has changed it. So if X player changed a full half the map, and he gets kicked with blocks reverted, then the half of the map that X player changed is reverted, rather than the entire map. So, if there's a single small piece of complex art that's been vandalized, and it was intact in the last save, the vandalization gets reverted to what it was in the last save, whereas the other content remains unchanged.

#11 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

Aslai wrote:
jakery wrote:
Aslai wrote:

SNIP

Perhaps I didm't make myself totally clear. The level would be reverted to the old save, but only where X player has changed it. So if X player changed a full half the map, and he gets kicked with blocks reverted, then the half of the map that X player changed is reverted, rather than the entire map. So, if there's a single small piece of complex art that's been vandalized, and it was intact in the last save, the vandalization gets reverted to what it was in the last save, whereas the other content remains unchanged.

Yeah, that's basically it, since reverting to the original would lose everyone's hard work.   Even better would be to complete the history concept by just keeping a full history on all tiles changed and allow manual rewind/forward through the history to any point.   If you then add the ability for any player to save the game state (along with history), which they can then keep and show to others, then you have a nice creative program too.

#12 Before February 2015

mrvalley

the free version of minecraft has something similar to this, where is a player is booted, then their changed are undone.   this is what it does:

player1 changes 2 bricks next to each other to glass
player2 changes one of them to empty
player1 is kicked
the brick player1 changed to glass is put back to what it was before it was changed
the brick player1 changed and player2 changed stays the same

#13 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

Yet another reason we need a chat and save feature: was in a game today.   A few of us got the code and I was adding stuff (playable game parts) in empty space.   I had to edit some area of the map to make it work right, the other person misunderstood and took away edit rights.

With chat I could have explained it (and discussed the feature).   With the ability to save, at least I could have branched the project/game and kept the work I did.

Last edited by Kevin Ar18 (Mar 18 2011 8:03:43 pm)

#14 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

This is a good discussion, would definitely save some time cleaning up trollin'

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#15 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

There's not many videos on thebroth.net, but this one might help: http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/2773929

Skip to 00:30 and watch for about 10 seconds.

There are several things to learn from the game, some of which EE desperately needs.

* notice how it shows who is moving/editing what
* notice how you can click on a name and see every single tile they moved (for EE this would show every tile they edited)
* notice how you can use chat to coordinate the project

Now consider this page: http://www.thebroth.com/art15811.html
* There is the ability for anyone to save the progress of a game -- EE should allow this same ability.
* You can take the current "artwork" and load it into your own room -- EE could allow people to take any saved game from anywhere and let anyone host a room from it.

Now consider this page: http://www.thebroth.com/replay15811.html
* The game saves a full history of every change -- if EE did the same, it would have the basis for all kinds of things like: undoing messed up games, saving progress, rewinding to a different version of the map, etc....

Last edited by Kevin Ar18 (Apr 2 2011 7:02:49 pm)

#16 Before February 2015

Kevin Ar18

BTW, I was playing another game yesterday that proves once again we desperately need these features in EE.
I thought I had a screenshot, but it got lost.... anyways. the map was consisted of mini-levels.   I got there early and got the code from the owner (I guess he was the owner)... and we added more levels together.   Eventually others came and they got the code... and they added more levels.   The game was coming along nicely until someone messed it up for no reason.   This brings up two issues:

1. We need a way to reverse the messed up games.
2. Even if we could fix the messed up games, that is not enough.   We need the ability to save the creative work we did to a map even if we do not own the map!   I cannot stress how important this second point is.   Without the ability to save our creative work, why even bother making creative edits in EE in the first place?

Last edited by Kevin Ar18 (Apr 2 2011 7:08:14 pm)

Kevin Ar18 1423729339232093

Board footer