Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

SquidMan338

EE Lobby and Ratings Redesigned

Okay, this post is gonna take a while, so let's hope it's worth it...
Anyhow, many people really dislike the whole woot/rating system, and the lobby, and the level list order, so here is a suggestion for the redesigned lobby and rating system:

First, the lobby design.
lobbynumber1.png

As you can see, instead of having a list of worlds, you have a tile system, each tile being a world. Not only does this make the list more informative (you can now see the minimap of each world before entering), but also it allows for 12 levels to be on the top, rather than just 9.
When you mouse over a tile, it pops out as shown (below image), the same way items in the shop do. This displays the minimap in true scale (instead of scaling them down to fit the tile), and shows the level's four individual ratings(more on that in a moment). Different level sizes would make the tile scale to show the entire minimap in true scale.

Lobbynumber2.png

In the top right of the first image, you will notice four blank buttons. Since the new level list consumes all available space, these four buttons would show various information when moused over. They are left blank, and displayed simply to show that there is a location available for any additional information that might at some time need to be displayed in the lobby. Something that would already need to be available would be the friends list.

And now, the rating system.
When you enter a level, the button that currently shows the woot star (that you click to give a woot) would be replaced with just a star, instead of a gift-wrapped star. When you click this, a popup would appear, giving you the option to rate (from 1 to five stars) the categories of gameplay, visuals, originality, and difficulty. The ratings of gameplay, visuals, and originality would be averaged out for the overall rating, which is what is displayed before you mouse over the level. Since some people like hard level, others easy, the difficulty rating would not be a part of the overall rating.
You could choose to sort the level tiles by any of these ratings, overall rating, or by people online.

Level ratings would be reset every 24-72 hours, or perhaps every week (except for the difficulty rating, which would only reset when the level is cleared). This way popular levels will not be permanently top-of-the-list.
Level ratings would be reset when the level is cleared, and reloaded when /loadlevel is called. To prevent lost ratings if /loadlevel is called before the world was saved, ratings are automatically saved when they are submitted.
People can change their submitted ratings at any time.

Man those pictures are a pain to make :rolleyes:
Anyhow, please let me know what you think, I would really appreciate the feedback.

Note, the original idea for having the lobby be a series of tiles was the idea of forum user 0176 (that's his actual name, not some kind of call-number for profile or anything). I really liked his idea, so I built on it, creating these graphics. You can find his post here: http://eeforumify.com/viewtopic.php?id=26334

The minimap shown in the second picture is of one of my levels, should anyone wonder //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Last edited by SquidMan338 (Nov 23 2012 5:51:40 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

Jabatheblob1

Re: EE Lobby and Ratings Redesigned

i suggest reposting this in general because this is a really good idea and ik that might be reported as "spam" but atleast people will see this post, otherwise this is a really good idea!!

Also maybe check out platform racing 2 and see how he orginized it he has a good set up, like different tabs one plays one online users in the world woots and rating maybe, then one tab for a all time best. (i know copying platform racing 2 but will make the game better).

Last edited by Jabatheblob1 (Nov 23 2012 1:16:15 am)

If you would like me to make a bot for you, go here.

#3 Before February 2015

Saintcool

tl;dr the   image looks ugly. Who decides the stars?

#4 Before February 2015

arteem

Urm, I'd say no. All these ratings are just going to make EE worse.
Boss 2 cod x1

Game Play: 5
Visuals: 5
Originality: 5
Difficulty: 5

#5 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

I really like the idea of showing the minimap. Prevents people from doing stuff like "EX CRW Boss ON!!!"

The minimap on lobby is one of the best ideas I've heard. The rating system is as bad as the woot system.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#6 Before February 2015

Boywhoflies

IMHO, if this happens, the difficulty should never reset unless the world is edited. Also, show how many people voted. If only 1 person did, you know it's not that accurate.

#7 Before February 2015

crastopher

That was awesome, you are awesome, awesome people deserve +rep. I don't care what people say(especially StCool since he likes hating on ideas //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue), that was the best idea I've seen in quite awhile.

#8 Before February 2015

Napakeun
Formerly goodsmile

I really like part of "scale world". when you put youre mouse on a world, it shows worlds minimap.

#9 Before February 2015

Tachyonic

I don't see what all the controversy is about - I like the rating idea!

Though instead of regular users, you could just have beta testers/moderators/administrators rate. Another feature to lure the customers in, eh?

#10 Before February 2015

That was kind of what the idea on my topic was, but this version is better so I don't care much //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
Edit: Nevermind the first sentence, and why would someone mistake me for a phone number?

Last edited by 0176 (Nov 23 2012 5:44:01 pm)

#11 Before February 2015

SquidMan338

arteem wrote:

Urm, I'd say no. All these ratings are just going to make EE worse.
Boss 2 cod x1

Game Play: 5
Visuals: 5
Originality: 5
Difficulty: 5

Hopefully people won't be rating levels five stars in all categories for no reason. If a level becomes popular, then this would average out very quickly anyway.

Saintcool wrote:

tl;dr the   image looks ugly. Who decides the stars?

Um...The people who rate the levels.
If that wasn't your question, then I'm not sure what your asking...

Last edited by SquidMan338 (Nov 23 2012 5:55:57 pm)

#12 Before February 2015

Masternat

I like. It would need some changes, tough.
But I like the idea. I think it's somewhat better than our current lobby..
Just because of the minimap view ^^'

#13 Before February 2015

robotkoer

1) Top bar needs more polishing, maybe you should recreate that too?
2) Rating... No. EE players are mostly too dumb to rate that specifically, therefore you need a simpler system:
Like/Dislike, +Woot/-Woot, Woot/Toow, whatever EE mods should call it.
(And, since EE is like Facebook and doesn't like Dislike button, the whole rating system should be toggleable by level owner.)

However, I still like your idea so enjoy +rep //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Last edited by robotkoer (Feb 24 2013 9:56:30 am)

Wooted by:

#14 Before February 2015

Muftwin

i like having the minimap there it prevents people from changing the name a lot and i end up going to the same world 70x

you should also include the creators name

#15 Before February 2015

Angel16

awesome idea

#16 Before February 2015

TheYeti

I love the fact that you're able to see the minimap now. Otherwise it happens very often I see a level with a nice name, and it's just a very bad level I've played many times before. A problem is you can't see the friends, shop etc. at this way.

It would also be great to see the level owner. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

#17 Before February 2015

Urban

BuzzerBee wrote:

I really like the idea of showing the minimap.

Same here, I want to have an idea of what to expect when I enter a level.

SquidMan338 1423742248219184

Board footer