Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Thanel

Randomized portals system

Hello,

I'm recently working with friends on bigger project and we have got idea to create teleport system that can send you to random portal in world. We need help with that because simply setting same ID's doesn't work how we want it. Could you help us and create that system?

There is what we need:

* It has to be small - We want lot of space for our world.
* It has to work without bots - Our world should work without them.
* It shouldn't have any bugs and always send you to random portal.
* You can use any blocks you want. But don't forget about portals!
* It should work with at least 10 portals

We are waiting for your submissions. We hope to see something great //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Note: I don't want ID's for your worlds. I want system that can be used with normal (blue portals) that leads to then randomly. Everything is in 1 world.

Example:
There are 3 portals in world. By using that system player by entering it will randomly be teleported to 1 of them.

_____

Mihb created very good system that I'll use. I don't need any more submissions but if you want you can always try to do something.

Last edited by Thanel (Mar 16 2013 6:50:59 am)

#2 Before February 2015

rocktheworld313

Re: Randomized portals system

Take 3 world portals, take a freaking ton of boosts, face them all towards the center, put the portals in the center. There you go, tiny box that will take you to a random world.

#3 Before February 2015

Saintcool

That wouldn't work because if you are still you would always go the same way.

#4 Before February 2015

Thanel

First of all it's for normal portals not world. And as saintcool said you would always go same way.

#5 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Is it allowed to player-run? Like an AFK player presses keys to make it work?

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#6 Before February 2015

Panic

Is that even possible? I thought that if two portals had the same ID, a portal leading to that ID would open to the closest one. If they were the same distance apart, one would be chosen as the destination and it would stay as that. Of course, I haven't tested it, kind of lazy/busy. But I remember reading something like that somewhere back when portals came out.

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

#7 Before February 2015

Thanel

BuzzerBee
I'm not sure but I prefer to have it without AFK player but you can try.

Panic
Yes you are right (only distanse info is wrong. It's random) that's why I need system for that.

Last edited by Thanel (Mar 14 2013 8:31:50 am)

#8 Before February 2015

Legoking2000

It is like the last portal you set with that ID is that ID.   Something like that.   This would be relatively impossible.   You could set a bunch of spawn points and have the player die.   It is relatively random but not portals.

Idea-Put a random bunch of spawns with ID=0   portals under them leading to random ID>2 portals and have their target be 1.   Will test for randomness.

MjZEkmb.png

Kinda random.   I don't know if this is what you want though.

Last edited by Ikaros (Mar 14 2013 5:31:10 pm)

#9 Before February 2015

Thanel

legoking2000:

That is very nice system I could use it if there won't be better submissions. But it needs small edit. If player joins world first time (has 0 coins) he should be teleported to always same place. It could be made with use of coin-doors. I already have idea how to do it but I would like to see your edit. It may be better then my ^^

One thing that might be problem with it is use of spikes. We wanted to have in our world traps which would use them. with that system we won't be able to do them... But hmm it's actually not that bad and I like it :]

I'm waiting for more ideas. Maybe someone will get something better.

*Edit: I tested your idea in My small world legoking2000. If you test it here you can see that respawning follows how I placed spawns. It's not so random... but with more players playing it might work good... I'm waiting for   more.

Last edited by Thanel (Mar 15 2013 9:25:18 am)

#10 Before February 2015

MIHB

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWehA_RssDbUI

The system in the above world only works for 8 portals, and it requires the player to not be able to see timed doors before he enters the system, and the player can't enter the system again right after leaving it, but otherwise its random and it works the same no matter how many people are in the level.   If you don't expect to use switches elsewhere in the level, you can add a switch door at the start, which won't be totally random but will increase the number of portals you can reach to 16.

BTW, this is a much simpler problem to solve if you can have an afk player hitting keys.

*edit* I made a much simpler and better system in the above world which I believe will be perfect for your needs.

Last edited by MIHB (Mar 15 2013 12:55:15 pm)

#11 Before February 2015

Thanel

MIHB:
That's exactly what I wanted.

Thanel1423772523188909

Board footer