Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

elvang

Protecting the Password

With several methods of discovering a room's password available, it is important you take steps to hinder would be password crackers.

First and foremost, pick a strong password. That means at least 8 letters, lower and upper case, and possibly numbers. Do NOT make the password a single word in the same language as the room title, a string related to the room title, or your username/group.

yknyb.png

This one should be obvious, but I'll mention it anyways. Do not write the password with any blocks that are visible on the minimap. Doesn't matter if the players can't reach that area without going through hell itself, a quick look at the minimap declares open season on your room.

2v0laqa.png

If you really want to reward players' hard work with the password to the room, do not construct it of a single block type, even if it doesn't show up on the minimap. A quick map save and flood fill later, and the password is clear as day. Try this instead.

34r81v9.png

Last edited by elvang (Aug 15 2010 4:32:38 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

Zap

Re: Protecting the Password

It's a shame people don't do this on good maps, even though its common sense.

#3 Before February 2015

shark

#3 is pretty ninja.

I've always thought of just placing antigrav dots to spell it out.

#4 Before February 2015

mustang

Good advice elvang. Of course the safest way to protect your map (besides creating a strong password) is to not give out the code. I repeat, do not give out the code.

If you must, then at least try to follow the rest of the advice given in the OP. Hide it well in your map, and make sure it's a difficult journey for players to earn the code to weed out the majority of the trolls who are just looking for a quick kill.

#5 Before February 2015

Google

People can teleport in to the map, if your going to show someone the code spell it out to them in black bricks then remove it.

#6 Before February 2015

capasha

Use this site to generate a good password.
Don't use special characters because EE can't handle it yet.
EE can only handle up to 20 characters max. So don't generate more then 20.

Last edited by doh (Aug 15 2010 10:17:11 am)

#7 Before February 2015

thesadface

I think most people can't figure #3 out.
Very nice , BTW, never thought of that.

#8 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

I'm not sure why you'd share your passkey with a random player. I personally only share with other people I know I could trust, ones who will not destroy the level for a fact.

#9 Before February 2015

Ciro

I liked the idea in #3.

Cyclone wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd share your passkey with a random player. I personally only share with other people I know I could trust, ones who will not destroy the level for a fact.

But sometimes, you need to exit the game and any of your friends can leave the game open.

Last edited by Ciro (Aug 17 2010 9:43:55 am)

#10 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

I have a VPS for that //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#11 Before February 2015

Daisuke

Amazing! I just don't like when I finish a level and the owner promise a code, and it just says: "Loser" or "Idiot".

#12 Before February 2015

DBF

I don't see the point of destroying a level when you get the code. Sure, the levels gone..that accomplishes..?

#13 Before February 2015

Snackfast

People who obtains the codes without owners consent, should jump of a bridge.

#14 Before February 2015

MIHB

DBF wrote:

I don't see the point of destroying a level when you get the code. Sure, the levels gone..that accomplishes..?

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

#15 Before February 2015

mustang

MIHB wrote:
DBF wrote:

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Great quote. Very fitting considering it perfectly describes why someone would destroy a map and enjoy the fact that they made others suffer.

#16 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

Another tip, You could make a random pass code like: 4fa2mna9 and write it down. Thats what our crew does anyway. (it's not like you will guess the pass code with me saying that)

#17 Before February 2015

capasha

D-rock2308 wrote:

Another tip, You could make a random pass code like: 4fa2mna9 and write it down. Thats what our crew does anyway. (it's not like you will guess the pass code with me saying that)

Still crackable, you should use A-Za-z0-9 and more then 7 characters.
I always use 20 characters, 7 - 8 is easy match for people to crack. If they use a-z0-9.

#18 Before February 2015

FMaster

Do you like this?
9tiz5u.png

#19 Before February 2015

Gcommer

ST wrote:

Very nice! Biggest problem is that it wouldn't look like "CODE:" on the minimap.

#20 Before February 2015

Shy Guy

Gcommer wrote:
ST wrote:

Very nice! Biggest problem is that it wouldn't look like "CODE:" on the minimap.

Well when they get to it, they'll figure it out

#21 Before February 2015

musuki

Do not try to cover up the code with similar coloured blocks.
Look at the following example:

2u9iu06.png

The level is called 'Get to top for CODE'. Sounds tempting! See how the code is at the top-right corner of the map? Looks pretty secure; I certainly can't see what it is. However, with the aid of super advanced tools (zoom in):

30jl2s9.png

'JK LOL'

Oh dear, it's a trick! Well, I don't want to waste my time going up there for nothing! (beating the level can still be fun though!)

Last edited by musuki (Sep 11 2010 1:01:29 pm)

#22 Before February 2015

Jojomanjo

musuki wrote:

Do not try to cover up the code with similar coloured blocks.
Look at the following example:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2u9iu06.png

The level is called 'Get to top for CODE'. Sounds tempting! See how the code is at the top-right corner of the map? Looks pretty secure; I certainly can't see what it is. However, with the aid of super advanced tools (zoom in):

Wow humans do fail a lot.

#23 Before February 2015

Flare

I actually used the switch code thing for my level. Of course, I never gave it away. Lululul.

#24 Before February 2015

surfad

you may as well name your level "the code is 1234" if you   want people to have the code i almost always delete the code as soon as i get it just to save the level you understand no cos im mean

#25 Before February 2015

Tree

I use that same method acually! Great guide!

elvang 1423856273105159

Board footer