Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015, last edited by Different55 (2015-10-20 00:58:07)

RavaTroll

RavaTroll's Playable landscapes construction tutorial ( lot of pics )

/!\ This tutorial is outdated and not recommended anymore by its writer. /!\

Oh, hai !

Welcome to
RavaTroll's "playable landscapes" construction tutorial

/!\ THIS LEVEL ISN'T UPDATED AND MAY BE IMPOSSIBLE /!\

/!\

Note :
You should read Bee's Art Tutorial before starting, it might help for huge projects !

Also, have a look at these nice tutorials too :
Clouds by Takoman02
Lava Island by Aoitenshi
Trees by Kaylee123
Trees by it40x
Caves by [me]mylo
Grass by MRBOOGAWESOME
I suggest you use both tree tutorial to replace my "out-dated" trees. And the cloud tutorial to replace my clouds. And perhaps the lava island tutorial for a volcano. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

I'll show you ( using screenshots I made while drawing ) how to design art in a level that will have (non-black-blocks) minis inside it.

For this, I made a very simple level called "The Wizard's Tower".
The theme is pretty simple. : A tower.
So, the first thing to do when you create a map is a scheme :

http://url233.imageshack.us/url233/5771/themapf.png
( T = Tower ; G = "Grotte" in french => "Caves" in english ; F = Forest ; TP = Teleportation Point = Start. )

I made this picture on MSPaint in 1 minute. I wanted a nice cliff to have the tower suspended over the lake, and woods, because a wizard's tower is always lost somewhere. ( In a forest, on a mountain, underwater, etc. )
Then, start drawing in EE. You don't have to follow exactly your first draft, just try to make the minimap looks "good" :

You can see that this is quite different from the first draft.
I also filled the empty blocks with brown bricks to help me to see what the final minimap will look like. It can take a loooot of time when you're alone to fill those spaces.
Then, draw the path that the players will take through your map. It's very important to have a color that is : Visible ; Clear ; not used in the level. ( Pink is recommended here, because there's no pink in forests, water, caves or towers. )

http://url201.imageshack.us/url201/3356/tut03.png
( You can see that the beginning is not where it was supposed to be, BTW )

Once you've laid out your path, you can start the "art part".
First, destroy all the "path"-blocks where you are drawing to clear the minimap and help you seeing the colors better.
I started with the grass. Grass isn't very difficult to draw. You just have to draw something near the "inside" of a grass block.  

Once you've drawn the grass, which will be the bottom of your minis, you can start drawing trees/buildings/whatever.
You should notice that there are different trees in my forest : it's more realistic that way.
There's one thing very useful here : The shadow.

When you look at the minimap once you've draw all the trees, some of them will look like they're behind the others.

Now, you can draw some small details in the "rooms" formed by the ground, the trunks and the leafs.
I usually add bushes with a different green color to show they are not grass, and they are not trees. You can draw bushes like half-circles.

The forest has been created, it's time to start the caves.
There are several types of cave complexes, and you can google for "cave map" to see how they are ( or just visit caves near home //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue ).
I usually draw caves like bubbles linked with some thin strings. It's the usual "cartoon" drawing of caves for me.

Now that you have finished the design of the first corner of the map, you can start "painting" the trees/the dirt and add shadows.

You can see how I made my shadows : All previous empty blocks are replaced with green keys, and I used grass blocks to show the depth of the tree. The main color of the pine has been changed, but don't delete all the old green blocks from it to make it looks different.
The shadows on the trunks are not very difficult : Just try to have at least 1 block on 2 darker, and draw lines to "show" roots.
Once you've made this, you can add more plants, and background trees. ( On top of the trees on the minimap. )

You can now start the drawing stalactites in the caves. It's very important, because they'll be used in the minis.

Now you can start coloring the dirt. I usually "troll" it with dark-red bricks and have a nice result: just try it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink
To draw simple water, you'll have to use beta-blocks. ( If you're not beta, just replace them with normal blue blocks. )
Draw a simple pattern to simulate waves and reflections over the lake/sea.

Then, start drawing the deep water with inverted key-blocks. You'll have to create minis WITHOUT any arrows inside water. Labyrinths and normal-platforming are recommended.

http://url140.imageshack.us/url140/4287/tut15.png
( You can see I added Blue keys to draw a shadow, but I decided they were not very usefull later so I deleted them. )

You can also add "light rays" with the normal blue by drawing diagonal lines under water.

Remember that players will play minis under or between them, so leave some spaces. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

You can see I drew underwater caves. Here's a good tip for the constrast dirt/water : If you put water on sand/dirt, the sand/dirt becomes darker.
So every block that is in contact with the water has to be replaced with dark-red blocks.

I added other caves while following my "pink" path.
You can see I added an inhabited cave, to add some unusual details on the level. This will also be fun if player wants to take a break in the middle of your map. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

I drew plants near the cave entrance on the cliff to create some life for that boring dirt-only cliff.
It's useful for jungle maps though.

I added great rooms to add diversity in the level. They'll be used for storage by the sorcerer, so I'll draw some crates in them.

I started drawing the stairs of the towers. Using shadows is very important on "human-made" buildings, to show how it really looks like.

I re-drew a forest like the first one, and will draw shadows after the design of the tower.
Try to find some originals design for your buildings. Rectangular buildings are very common, so you'll have to show you can invent some new kind of building. Just use your imagination !

Like with the stairs at the entrance, you should add light / shadows on your buildings to help the player understand their geometry. The bottom and the tops of my towers, with light / shadows / look like spheres. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

You're almost done !
Erase the last part of your path, and draw the last details on the level, like clouds, birds, etc...
Here's a picture of real clouds to help you understand what they really look like :

I usually draw Cumulus, Nimbo-stratus,strato-cumulus and alto-cumulus. They are, I think, the most usual clouds on non-rainy days. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Draw shadows on the clouds, but not so much, just to show the depth, and you're done. This level is 100% playable, with rooms and a lot of space for minis !

RavaTroll - Terrorist Troll.

Last edited by RavaTroll (Nov 28 2011 11:04:15 am)

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

#2 Before February 2015

Nou

Re: RavaTroll's Playable landscapes construction tutorial ( lot of pics )

Nice guide //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile Hope it helps other map-makers out there //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

No u.

#3 Before February 2015

EDJ

o.0
playing level right now.
Nice guide!

#4 Before February 2015

Kaosslasher

Wow, thats pretty awesome!

Although, i dont know why, but i think the clouds need a little ... something. .. i dont know what though :/

but then again i know your not done yet //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#5 Before February 2015

RavaTroll

Yes, but i like the look of the clouds for now. Kinda looks Paper-mario-like. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Last edited by RavaTroll (Jan 27 2011 2:44:55 pm)

#6 Before February 2015

NikK

Great guide! When I get another Massive Saved World I'll try to make one //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

+1 Rep to you //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#7 Before February 2015

BEE

Awesome Rava //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile really well written

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#8 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Great guide Rava

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#9 Before February 2015

Kaosslasher

This level is AMAZING! got wizard here :3

#10 Before February 2015

Fir3Fli3

Awesome tutorial rava //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#11 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

This is too awesome not to sticky. Great job, RavaTroll.

#12 Before February 2015

RavaTroll

At your service. ²

#13 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

This... This is so original. IDKWTF people can't be like you and create original levels. What's fun about the same old minis?

I'm guilty of the above myself //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
I'm just... not creative. Of course, I don't expect my levels to be any fun anyhow, so take it with a grain of salt.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#14 Before February 2015

ugotpwned

tried lvl not sure if this is possible, maybe it is hey anyways AMAZING TURTURAIL AND LEVEL even if this isn't possible:
68367050.png

#15 Before February 2015

Doghana

Cool guide, thanks. i don't usually do many long-term projects, but might have a try using some tips from your guide //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#16 Before February 2015

NikK

I'm making a level with this guide. I still don't know what it's going to be it's name but well.

I'm still missing 2/3 of the level, so, idk. I kinda copied the way you make the grass-earth, if that bothers you, I'll change it. Thanks for the guide it helped a lot.

#17 Before February 2015

RavaTroll

No, you can copy everything you want in it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

tried lvl not sure if this is possible, maybe it is hey anyways AMAZING TURTURAIL AND LEVEL even if this isn't possible:

Yeah, I'm going to change this. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#18 Before February 2015

NikK

RavaTroll wrote:

No, you can copy everything you want in it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Great! Thanks man, +1 Rep to you //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#19 Before February 2015

Really good tutorial!
This will come in very handy for some new level I was planning cause I generally suck at the art-related stuff //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Thanks a lot for this!

#20 Before February 2015

Tree

Great!

#21 Before February 2015

Chucky

how long did it take to make? its nice and easy to follow guide btw.

#22 Before February 2015

titas

nice tutorial dude!

#23 Before February 2015

Randomdude

Nice guide. But whats with the dot cube somewhere above the trees on the cliff?
And it IS possible at that part.

#24 Before February 2015

RavaTroll

This cube is juste here for fun. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Maybe a spell casted by the wizard ? Who knows ?

BTW, I made this level in 6+ hours.

#25 Before February 2015

GameFreakRPG

Awesome tutorial. Trying to make my own map right now but I can't get the shape of my clouds right. **** me off >_<
Got any tips for that?

skullz171426625130484067

Board footer