Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-02-07 03:50:43

NoNK

Re: Everybody Edits: Satanya's Next Sacrifice ☆

Satanya wrote:
What will happen to my worlds?

EEU and EE have different physics systems. How is this going to work.

All that matters is the physics. Just make the physics play like original EE and I will play it. EEU physics are weird and slippery. Do whatever spiritual successor stuff you want  but keep the physics the same - I don't want to re-learn a new physics system.

Wooted by: (3)

#27 2021-02-07 11:37:44, last edited by Era (2021-02-07 11:40:29)

Era

The physics in EE changed severall times, if you lock in any sequel to have the same physics you will pretty much have killed and possibility to fix issues the original had.

>There is also another thought that crossed my mind: why does nobody just start from scratch under a different name? Assemble their own team and create EE as they envision it. Why does one need to own EE in order to make a game?

Sorry, i already did that, but i'm not mad enough to call it EE or copy it's concepts 1:1, so it's just "inspired" if anything. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Edit: also, i don't see why you need a "team" or "assemble a team" to do anything, if you want to build a 2d game, you can just do that, if you don't do it it won't happen, telling people they /could/ work on something won't work.

Wooted by: (2)

#28 2021-02-07 20:05:21

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Era wrote:

The physics in EE changed severall times, if you lock in any sequel to have the same physics you will pretty much have killed and possibility to fix issues the original had.

The question is, what fixes will EE! devs have to these 'issues'? 1x1 hook jumps and hovers were considered disposable for Everybody Edits Universe, even when these techniques were essential to thousands of original EE worlds and a famous part of the game. If EE! is as careless as EEU's beta then we might not have another chance to rework and polish these techniques.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#29 2021-02-07 21:41:20

Era

If you think 1x1 hootjumps were what made EE special then you might be in for a disapointment no matter what will be released next

#30 2021-02-07 22:14:55

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Hovers are cool but if 1x1s continue to be a relic of the past then I'll be very happy indeed. I do appreciate the occasional regular hook jump though, but they felt... uncomfortable? in EEU.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#31 2021-02-07 22:15:52

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

Regular hookjumps only work well in EEU if you jump on the very edge. It sucks. Please fix in EE!

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#32 2021-02-07 23:57:06

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Era wrote:

If you think 1x1 hootjumps were what made EE special then you might be in for a disapointment no matter what will be released next

You're missing the point. Part of what makes EE special is the hundreds of thousands of worlds it had. If you take out any major features, including 1x1 hook jumps, thousands of classic worlds are now impossible to complete. It doesn't matter if they were fun or not, because the developers can make them more fun by transforming it into a glitch into a well-designed feature. 1x1s aren't just a minor bug, they're a part of EE's gameplay and basically a meme at this point.

I started the EE reboot discussion nearly four years ago, and now I'm worried about the direction the series has taken since. EEU Beta's physics were a lot different from EE and I'm hoping EE! is a new chance to find the perfect physics that match closely to EE yet are still extendable.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#33 2021-02-08 17:54:33, last edited by TundrumMax (2021-02-08 17:54:59)

TundrumMax
Formerly Memomemo

why would anyone want to legitimately do 1x1 hookjumps? they were one of the worst parts of ee, i swear
Fun puzzles that use brainpower to complete, and unique worlds with replayability? Nah, I want 100 hookjumps in a row for the 50th time, surely that will attract new players to my ee world...

I can speak by breathing in but it sounds like a dying horse

TundrumMax.png

Signature by HG

Wooted by: (5)

#34 2021-02-08 18:00:56

Minimania
Moderation Team

TundrumMax wrote:

why would anyone want to legitimately do 1x1 hookjumps? they were one of the worst parts of ee, i swear
Fun puzzles that use brainpower to complete, and unique worlds with replayability? Nah, I want 100 hookjumps in a row for the 50th time, surely that will attract new players to my ee world...

bro what are you talking about hookjumps were the most fun Ive ever had in ee

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#35 2021-02-09 01:21:24

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

TundrumMax wrote:

I already addressed this, please pay closer attention:

N1KF wrote:

It doesn't matter if they were fun or not, because the developers can make them more fun by transforming it into a glitch into a well-designed feature.

There are many ways to improve the user experience. Regarding 1x1 hook jumps, the most obvious way would be to increase the timing window so it's not as stupidly precise. Other ways would be to make the game feel more responsive to players, with animations and maybe sounds when you jump. There are many small tricks used in platforming games to make them more fun to play, and EE uses almost none of them.

Even with that aside, 1x1 hook jumps still appeal to people. "Megaman Dash" from the Best of EE campaign has an optional coin you can get from hook jumps if I recall correctly.

TundrumMax wrote:

There's no way to prevent people from making worlds with tedious or repetitive gameplay. The best you can do is encourage creative thinking. And you know what would encourage creative thinking? New movement options.

EE is pretty basic with its movement challenges if you don't bring in gravity blocks. Jump and keep a high momentum, speed control, or hit the ceiling at the right angle. It's hard to do these sorts of things without littering the area with gravity blocks. One possible way is through 1x1 hook jumps and hovers, which raise the skill ceiling, adding less easy, less obvious solutions to navigating an area.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#36 2021-02-09 01:58:37, last edited by mutantdevle (2021-02-09 12:20:08)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

N1KF wrote:

EE is pretty basic with its movement challenges if you don't bring in gravity blocks.

And it's better for it in my opinion. Sometimes keeping things simple if the better way to go. When it comes to what makes EE's movement so special, it seems to me that it's always been more about the gravity blocks than it has the movement itself and I'd love to see that explored further in EE!. The movement itself should be simple, synergising it with various other block or zone mechanics should be what raises the skill ceiling. I don't see a way that 1x1 blocks can become easier to perform without becoming easy to perform. 1x1 hooks are boring, but stick in a gravity arrow that pushes you out hence enabling you to make the jump? That's where the fun is. The only function 1x1 hooks ever served was a lazy way to raise the difficulty or formulaic easter eggs.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (4)

#37 2021-02-09 11:33:43, last edited by MartenM (2021-02-09 11:35:08)

MartenM
Website

Just imagine EE with updated graphics, particles, sounds / music, and the simple movement. In general a more responsive world, a bush that moves.
A bit more modern look with maybe some graphical effects lights (could be placed by players, eg shadows, not recommending a full on light engine)?

I would play that

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#38 2021-02-09 23:19:02

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

MartenM wrote:

Just imagine EE with updated graphics, particles, sounds / music, and the simple movement. In general a more responsive world, a bush that moves.
A bit more modern look with maybe some graphical effects lights (could be placed by players, eg shadows, not recommending a full on light engine)?

I would play that

Yes, this is what I've been wanting for months but haven't yet put into words! If you look at the kinds of games that get onto digital game stores, I think the gameplay is solid enough, maybe needing a few minor tweaks for consistency. What really needs improvement is the user experience, including graphics and especially the editing interface.

In contrast to MartenM I would actually suggest a dynamic lighting engine as the graphics will need to be designed entirely around the lighting system, regardless of how lighting works. (e.g. in EEO and EEU, lighting and shading is embedded into the graphics themselves.) In addition to removing the need for every individual sprite to be manually shaded, it could make EE! look absolutely gorgeous and encourage players to work creatively with the lighting.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#39 2021-02-10 15:06:03

Mariomaster

And this is why ProjectM for EE is better.

#40 2021-02-10 15:45:35, last edited by MartenM (2021-02-10 16:07:08)

MartenM
Website

N1KF wrote:

In contrast to MartenM I would actually suggest a dynamic lighting engine as the graphics will need to be designed entirely around the lighting system, regardless of how lighting works. (e.g. in EEO and EEU, lighting and shading is embedded into the graphics themselves.) In addition to removing the need for every individual sprite to be manually shaded, it could make EE! look absolutely gorgeous and encourage players to work creatively with the lighting.

That be neat too, I just didn't include it like that because there is nothing like a 'sun' in EE so I wasn't sure how that would work. You could of course let people create their own lighthouses but with EE being in basically a box, I figured we would not want it be too dark //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

I am currently experimenting a bit with GoDot. Quite a fun engine to try replicate EE physics in.

lm3hgg8.jpg

#41 2021-02-18 22:35:31, last edited by Mylo (2021-02-18 22:39:47)

Mylo
Master Developer

"All legacy players will receive a standard bonus for their account." I'm sorry, but that sucks and makes me feel sad. If some shiny smiley (or whatever item it might be) will be the result of hundreds of hours spend in this game, that just feels to me like a sad joke. I surely was proud about having all them blocks, smileys and the energy. And I do remember moments where I got some of them. Chris once did a talk about how he manipulated kids into spending hundreds of dollars for useless smileys. And why did they? Maybe because some level of emotional attachment to this stuff. Losing all of it is just sad. And tbh. even if it might not sound as nice, it also feels crazy unfair to give all "legacy accounts" the same shiny item.

But what do I even care. EE at this point can't go any further downhill (because it's dead) and I guess, you, Satanya, can't make everyone happy. 🤷 At least it sounds like there finally is a plan.

Good luck //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#42 2021-02-18 22:47:57

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

you still have EEO mylo, at least the nostalgia can be revisited in some way

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

Wooted by:

#43 2021-02-19 14:24:11

Snowester

2B55B5G TNG wrote:

you still have EEO mylo, at least the nostalgia can be revisited in some way

The true fun of EE is multiplayer and now that you have no friends to play with, what's the point? Currently it's just sharing whatever discovery you found in EEO that seb forgot to patch and make worlds then share it among everyone you want to bother checking, in reality only a small percentage would actually play.

#44 2021-02-19 15:20:20

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Mylo wrote:

If some shiny smiley (or whatever item it might be) will be the result of hundreds of hours spend in this game, that just feels to me like a sad joke.

What do you want, a medal? A handwritten letter? A max energy to $$$ conversion? The real value was the enjoyment you gained from playing the game, and if you need a unique item to make it worth it, you've missed the point.

If you had said you wanted compensation for hundreds of dollars spent, then fine. But you talked instead about playtime, which is like expecting a reward for eating food or getting out of bed.

Mylo wrote:

I guess, you, Satanya, can't make everyone happy.

Sounds like you're determined not to be.  smh gloomer

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#45 2021-02-19 16:07:29

hummerz5

^ Have to agree with Tomahawk on this point. A lot of arguments for moving forward with this game seem to focus on decluttering. I realize I'm late to this discussion, but that's one of the main reasons for not having a 1:1 relationship between game items. Aside from that, there's no way to ensure that everyone's content by the transfer, surely.

And I think it's correct. Between the two, I'd rather have that small token as opposed to locking down where the next steps can take the community/game.

MartenM wrote:

There is also another thought that crossed my mind: why does nobody just start from scratch under a different name? Assemble their own team and create EE as they envision it. Why does one need to own EE in order to make a game? Like at the moment we are just getting in some kind of cycle //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I don't think this has been addressed. I think the underlying idea is that there's still some skeleton crew of a community stuck to this name. Maybe you're implicitly arguing that there's no benefit to it, but having an automatic startup community has to be a little compelling. Too much distance would involve a greater stretch to tap that resource. Is it worth it? Heck if I know.

Wooted by: (3)

#46 2021-02-19 19:24:48, last edited by MartenM (2021-02-19 19:37:08)

MartenM
Website

hummerz5 wrote:

I don't think this has been addressed. I think the underlying idea is that there's still some skeleton crew of a community stuck to this name. Maybe you're implicitly arguing that there's no benefit to it, but having an automatic startup community has to be a little compelling. Too much distance would involve a greater stretch to tap that resource. Is it worth it? Heck if I know.

I wasn't explicitly talking about the benefit of having already some kind of community. Honestly the influence can make or break a new iteration in my opinion but it will be interesting to see what happens this time.

The part I tried to focus on is that for some reason every once in a while, someone new steps in at EE and becomes the boss. Promising the greatest things while having little to no portfolio or experience with game making  / managing.
It just feels like this community is just passed on as a play tool for people that want to create their own game (when given the opportunity), leaving the actual community with nothing.
I hope it's not the case this time, but only the future will be able to tell what will happen this time around.

lm3hgg8.jpg

#47 2021-02-19 20:19:17

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Mylo wrote:

"All legacy players will receive a standard bonus for their account." I'm sorry, but that sucks and makes me feel sad. If some shiny smiley (or whatever item it might be) will be the result of hundreds of hours spend in this game, that just feels to me like a sad joke. I surely was proud about having all them blocks, smileys and the energy. And I do remember moments where I got some of them. Chris once did a talk about how he manipulated kids into spending hundreds of dollars for useless smileys. And why did they? Maybe because some level of emotional attachment to this stuff. Losing all of it is just sad. And tbh. even if it might not sound as nice, it also feels crazy unfair to give all "legacy accounts" the same shiny item.

What's sad is that people don't realize they're not entitled to get things in one place because they spent time and money on different things in a different place.  You all already got compensation for any money you spent on EE, and it's called the things you bought in EE.  If you want more playtime rewards, then play the new game.  You put the hours into EE, great, you got things for that in EE.  You aren't deserving of extra things just because the last game ended.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#48 2021-02-20 20:55:10

Mylo
Master Developer

I'm just writing about how this sentence makes me not feeling valued and about how it does make me sad. And yeah, I indeed would feel better if the news was instead about how we can transfer the progress we've made to EE!. I don't see anything wrong about feeling that way and tbh. I also think it's less about entitlement. It's just a personal truth lol. And I'm kinda sure there are others too, who would have been happier if it was that way. But it isn't.

That's why I wrote:

But what do I even care. EE at this point can't go any further downhill (because it's dead) and I guess, you, Satanya, can't make everyone happy. 🤷 At least it sounds like there finally is a plan.

Good luck //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

PS: Tomahawk, thank you for bothering to reply. But I guess attacking me personally also doesn’t show a lot of strength of character and compassion. 🤷

#49 2021-02-21 00:59:12

BoltStrikes

Jeez, this thread is full of hot takes and people complaining.

But it's understandable, years have gone by since the idea of an Everybody Edits reboot was promised to us. Naturally, no one is happy to hear *more* waiting is in store.

My only fear right now is that Everybody Edits is no longer just "dead", it's actually dead. Unplayable. EEO can be compared to playing WoW offline and exploring the map: it's impossible to strip EE of the multiplayer and online aspects when it's such a fundamental part of the experience.
In the past, having a reboot get cancelled sucked but no one cared too much, since we knew that the original game we fell in love with is still there and we could still play. Today, this isn't the case. It's impossible to keep a community revolving around a game alive when there is no game.
Finally loosing access to Everybody Edits after 2 years of threats that if someone doesn't pull the plug on the game flash itself will expire was scary. The future of the game has always been uncertain, but we were sound in the knowledge that one of those fabled reboots was actually seeing substantial progress, and some players had the honor of even playing the game, something that hasn't happened in the past. With EEU down the drain, and a project that's being made completely from scratch now being promised to us, it's easy to see how it won't take long for the community to start dying en masse (as if it hasn't already).

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I'm really glad that someone is still not giving up on this relic of a game and trying to make it modern at last, and I understand how and why there would be a need for a new project instead of finishing EEU. But the possibility of this new reboot never getting finished as well is a lot more than a doubt of mine.

IGN: lazar1

Wooted by: (4)

#50 2021-02-21 01:09:27

Minimania
Moderation Team

Mylo wrote:

And yeah, I indeed would feel better if the news was instead about how we can transfer the progress we've made to EE!. I don't see anything wrong about feeling that way and tbh. I also think it's less about entitlement. It's just a personal truth lol.

No, there's nothing really wrong with wanting to be compensated for all of the items you got in EE. We are lucky there's any amount of compensation at all, however. The new owners do not have to compensate us, not even a little bit. If you're claiming that we should have the right to this compensation, then that's literally the definition of entitlement, which according to google is "the fact of having a right to something".

Mylo wrote:

Chris once did a talk about how he manipulated kids into spending hundreds of dollars for useless smileys. And why did they? Maybe because some level of emotional attachment to this stuff. Losing all of it is just sad.

Perhaps you don't see it the same way, but a big part of what made people want to spend money on these useless smileys is because Everybody Edits was a game they could create so many memories with. Everybody Edits is gone now. In its wake, we have Everybody Edits: Offline. The smileys and blocks are still there, yet, we don't miss the smileys and blocks. We miss the memories, and the ability to make those memories in the game we used to love. Losing the items isn't what should be making you sad. Losing the game is.

Mylo wrote:

And tbh. even if it might not sound as nice, it also feels crazy unfair to give all "legacy accounts" the same shiny item.

If you wanted it to truly be fair, Legacy accounts would get no compensation, so that they'd be on the same level as all new accounts. Giving all legacy accounts the same baseline compensation is not unfair in the slightest. If anything, and I've said this before, we're lucky we even get any compensation to begin with. We are not entitled to any compensation for the time and money we spent in EE. We were already compensated for the money through the items we purchased in EE, and compensated for the time through the fun we had. Do not allow yourself to become spoiled. 32OrtonEdge32dh says it way better than I could.

32OrtonEdge32dh wrote:
Mylo wrote:

What's sad is that people don't realize they're not entitled to get things in one place because they spent time and money on different things in a different place.  You all already got compensation for any money you spent on EE, and it's called the things you bought in EE.  If you want more playtime rewards, then play the new game.  You put the hours into EE, great, you got things for that in EE.  You aren't deserving of extra things just because the last game ended.

If all you're looking for in EE! is to be compensated with items from a game that's already got its own Offline version where you already have all of those things, you're setting yourself up for disappointment, and as Tomahawk said, you've missed the point.

Tomahawk wrote:

The real value was the enjoyment you gained from playing the game, and if you need a unique item to make it worth it, you've missed the point.

We could've easily just not been compensated at all. Would you have been happier if that were the case? Because this isn't a choice between "Get a small, flat compensation across all legacy accounts" and "Get compensated for everything you did in EE". It's a choice between "Get a small, flat compensation across all legacy accounts" and "Nobody gets any compensation at all".

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Victoria1665082680796482

Board footer