Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-11-07 00:02:44

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Re: Is it true that EE is being sold to a game company?

Minisaurus wrote:

Me too, I mostly refer to EEU than EE. The EE page has been turned time ago.

hahahahahaha i refuse

#27 2020-11-07 00:09:49, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-07 03:41:33)

Minisaurus
Banned

I have huge doubts about what you suggest.
For me EE is pretty much dead already.

EE can´t grow any further anymore.
Don´t you think that the community is simply too unorganized to make that happen?
There has been tons of attempts to do what you suggest, and all the attempts failed already and slowly (or pretty quickly) died.

There would need to be a completely new staff only focused in EE reborn, and it is most likely that the EE official staff won´t let that happen.
That is just not profitable to allow the fanbase to takeover the game franchise in their hands. And that is the true and only legitimate reason of why EE reborn won´t happen unless EE official staff officially release EE franchise to the fanbase.

You don´t need to be smart to know that that (The staff giving the EE franchise "ownership" to the fanbase) won´t happen, NEVER.
As the staff is actually already the "Self-Entitled" Fanbase and won´t give it away to the "Other" Fanbase.
(We are as a whole fans, and EEU is actually a fan-made game of EE).
(Not giving away EE to the fanbase might be good in some extend, but discarding completely the possibility of it won´t end up well for anyone, and considering how bad things are right now).
I consider that the staff don't know when to give up, they will continue even when the game is completely mutilated, for them that is a complete success, they would continue "working" and "progressing" as nothing is happening. Continue trying in this case is actually hurting the game more and more.
(I can´t tell for sure if that is true and the staff indeed won´t ever give away the game, but if the staff is truly blind, and can´t see the game suffering because of them, then yes, there is no hope for EE).
A guess of what could be going on right now, maybe the staff can actually revive the game, or maybe not, right now I think they can´t. And for the moment they have shown me that I am right about it.

#28 2020-11-07 00:14:25

Minimania
Moderation Team

I think everything will be fine

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#29 2020-11-07 00:28:48

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

I really hope the Everybody Edits franchise isn't being sold to a company...this game has been tossed around like a hot potato and if it gets the wrong owner, the franchise could die with no chance of legally being continued or revived by fans as long as the copyright remains and there isn't a permissive license.

First of all EE's assets (old and new), the EELVL format, and specialized world code (like physics, camera movement, and minimap colors) need a license that allows fans to use these for their own remakes. That way, if things go wrong, we will still be able to create our own backup versions.

Secondly, many of the benefits of having a company work on EE can be done without giving up ownership. There are many indie game publishers, developers, and investors out there. And of course ee has a community with several skilled developers (and me!) who are familiar with programming around this game. The EE Staff seem to be unable to market their own game, so I think an open-source+publisher approach might somehow be the best choice.

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (3)

#30 2020-11-07 00:36:30

LukeM
Website

Minimania wrote:
LukeM wrote:

I never said they weren't.

Minimania wrote:

This sounded like you saying that half the triple-A games today aren't designed to be fun?

Minimania wrote:
LukeM

EEU is a closed beta, of course you need to get through a paywall to play it. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

LukeM wrote:

That's right, it was a beta. It could've very easily been a membership, and all of those features could've been paid exclusives. Easily. Beta made a lot of money for the features it promised back then; it probably could've done the same thing under the guise of a premium membership. There are plenty of people who bought Builder's Club, for example (though the features given by BC werent the same)

I'm still not really sure what the difference is, the reasoning behind the EEU paywall is (hopefully) the same as the original Beta paywall, to have a relatively small number of dedicated players test out features so that the bugs and issues can be ironed out before releasing them publicly. It never really made sense as anything else, since features like accounts and saving worlds are much more valuable being free to bring in and keep players (and therefore make more money from other things) than as a 'quick buck' from the players that did buy it at the expense of limiting EE's ability to grow. It was effectively just a way for people who enjoyed the game to support it in exchange for a 'thank you' of being allowed to test features for a short period before everyone else. Similar to the idea behind the Patreon I guess, just a one time purchase instead of a recurring subscription (which tbh I'd prefer since when your main audience is children who might not yet have a complete grasp of money, one-time purchases are generally a lot less predatory than subscriptions).

If you meant to say that other less vital features might be kept behind a paywall and the accounts and world saving one was just a bad example, that's much more likely, though as discussed elsewhere that basically just depends on who takes ownership of the game. There are companies who would monetise it more than it currently is, and there are companies which would monetise it less (e.g. go back to a Benjaminsen era model where you only pay to get things a bit sooner or for a couple 'thanks for supporting the game' items, rather than subscription tiers and premium features and things).

Wooted by:

#31 2020-11-07 06:26:20

Kkay
Formerly Kaydog99

I hope it gets sold to a company with the balls to add guns.

Wooted by: (2)

#32 2020-11-07 15:20:56

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Kkay wrote:

I hope it gets sold to a company with the balls to add guns.

sirjosh:
tenor.gif

i8SwC8p.png

#33 2020-11-08 02:05:47

some woman

When even was the last EEU update?

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#34 2020-11-08 02:22:46

Luka504

Do any of you genuinely believe there's someone out there who would buy EEU? Like, seriously, with how little interest there's been for EEU since its creation, you'd be lucky to convince a company to take it off your hands for free, let alone for whatever asking price Xeno has embedded in that brain of his.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#35 2020-11-08 02:27:08

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

You guys

My uncle works at Nintendo and he said EEU isn't getting any updates because all the devs are working to get all the smileys in Smash

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#36 2020-11-08 03:17:21

AllenCaspe9510
Website

What if it works with a website?

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#37 2020-11-08 03:25:13

Minisaurus
Banned

Luka504 wrote:

Do any of you genuinely believe there's someone out there who would buy EEU? Like, seriously, with how little interest there's been for EEU since its creation, you'd be lucky to convince a company to take it off your hands for free, let alone for whatever asking price Xeno has embedded in that brain of his.

Haven´t you heard about the word "Hope" in your whole life?

#38 2020-11-08 03:40:35

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Minisaurus wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

>hope that someone buys this mess of unfinished features, password leaks and copyright issues
lol

i8SwC8p.png

#39 2020-11-09 22:05:04

Gosha

Minisaurus wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

have you heard of a phrase "common sense"?

___
if you still believe eeu would be released ever you can't do common sense
(if you believe that eeu will come out and it will be good you can't do common sense x2)

#40 2020-11-10 08:33:13

peace

dude gosha EEU will obviosuly cmoe out someday because thye even staretd the porject already a year ago poele are literaly playigng ti in closed beta

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#41 2020-11-10 12:34:35, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-10 13:10:05)

Minisaurus
Banned

EEU will progress whoever the staff is, that is not even a question, but the thing is that other people better capacitated would release/finish EEU main code in very few days (3 weeks perhaps or less) and not years of procrastination like we can expect for all upcoming updates for the game with the current staff team.

The staff has proven to not be efficient and neither satisfy the community expectations. Time is something that is being terribly misused and that is only one of the many negligent ways the staff is consistently "unintentionally" damaging the game franchise over and over again.

To amend the current staff reputation it would be needed to rectify their current and past errors and negligencies, the biggest ones are the misuse of time and staff resources (Mostly I talk about the staff behaviour and staff management), and both of those are irrecoverable, so pretty much it is not possible to repair its reputation, it is already completely broken.

Building on top of the broken reputation of the current staff is something that bodes ill, nothing good can be expected from that. Perhaps I am criticizing too hardish, or not enough.

Wooted by:

#42 2020-11-10 16:54:39

peace

you know they do it in their FREE TIME and most staff has an actual job outside this

peace.png

#43 2020-11-10 16:55:28

TundrumMax
Formerly Memomemo

peace wrote:

you know they do it in their FREE TIME and most staff has an actual job outside this

thats kinda sad

I can speak by breathing in but it sounds like a dying horse

TundrumMax.png

Signature by HG

#44 2020-11-10 23:47:42, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-11 00:02:50)

Minisaurus
Banned

Some staff members can´t afford to put more time into the development of this game, and I don´t blame them at all, it is how hobbies works.
Nobody from the staff is a real employee of the game (They are currently fans of the game who are trying to help, well, except for Xenonetix, he is the only actual member of the EE franchise company), everyone from the staff is actually free to put a single hour a month or 80 hours or more in a month.
And that is why it has taken so long to release EEU if you didn´t knew the reason behind the delay.

#45 2020-11-11 08:26:20

peace

^ exactly if thye wrere all real employees then go on blame them but now nope alos xeno said himself he isnt the best in coding so he rellies on the devs

peace.png

#46 2020-11-11 14:19:14

Snowester

yeah, you're all **** right. I mean, clearly, it's not like just putting even an HOUR per WEEK wouldn't still be enough to get EEU into second phase (closed beta) by now, or most likely open beta...

#47 2020-11-11 15:10:41, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-11 16:02:18)

Minisaurus
Banned

^ EEU has been in the same status of development, your assumption would imply 156 hours of development in the past three years. (1 hour of work per week for 3 years)
That is literally the total hours a formal game developer employee works in a single month (160 hours per month)
(I think EEU developer team has worked much more hours, but most likely their work has been inefficient since the obvious evidence we have (The 3 years of delay))
That would imply this:
The staff has done in 3 years what a full-time employee developer team would done in 1 month. (Assumption).

#48 2020-11-11 19:07:53

Gosha

peace wrote:

dude gosha EEU will obviosuly cmoe out someday because thye even staretd the porject already a year ago poele are literaly playigng ti in closed beta

The fact that they started the project already a year ago doesn't mean it's going to be finished

listen to yourself
they started making a basic 2d platformer TWO YEARS ago. If this doesn't prove that eeu won't come out ever i don't know what would

#49 2020-11-11 21:23:25

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Gosha wrote:

they started making a basic 2d platformer TWO YEARS ago. If this doesn't prove that eeu won't come out ever i don't know what would

To be fair, it's an online 2d platformer, which probably makes it a bit harder. Last I heard they were working on the server rework, but you have to wonder why that is taking so long when the original EE developed at such a faster pace...

#50 2020-11-12 00:21:01, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-12 01:15:51)

Minisaurus
Banned

N1KF wrote:

o be fair, it's an online 2d platformer, which probably makes it a bit harder. Last I heard they were working on the server rework, but you have to wonder why that is taking so long when the original EE developed at such a faster pace...

I am completely not flexing, but it is extremely fast and easy to remake EE graphics into vectors, and also create new ones, same for cosmetics and smileys.
Security-Drone finished even faster and wonderfully all the auras from EE in few months, that is simply incredible.
Kentiya done the foundation of the graphic style in also few time.
It take 1-3 hours per unique graphic (Animations might take much more time than that tho). And less than 1 hour for the change of colors of the same graphic. (A smiley, a block, a cosmetic, etc). I managed to done 225 unique smileys and cosmetics, and 1100+ potential smileys in few months. Blocks are way easier to do than smileys so it might take even less time to create those.
(For example, if the basic block has 10 blocks, it would take around 1-3 hours to finish the graphic and few minutes (Lets say 20 mins per color in lazy speed) to finish the recolorize. The 10 graphics would be finished in around 5 hours).

Imagine how much less time would it take to a professional designer, for sure they would finish the graphics in much much less time than that (And perhaps much better). A full-time designer employee would work around 160 hours a month, that is likely 100 graphics per month or much much more.

What I am saying is that EEU if had a dedicated and full-time designer team (And perhaps a fan designer team if determined to do so), they could finish EEU in less than one year (If it were from scratch).
Theorically if the developer team could work at the same speed, EEU would be LITERALLY be finished in one year or less, from start to finish. (Lets say if there is 1000 graphics to be done and polished, EEU is a project that would not take more than 1 year). (And even much less time, a professional designers team would finish the job much faster than me or any fan out there).
_

I don´t know how much work it takes to create the code of the game, but I am full sure that it won´t take more than one year with delays and everything going on, even with a fan developer team.
If EEU is not finished by now is not because it is not possible or "it is too hard", but because someone has done tons of mistakes in the meanwhile of the development, perhaps.

P.S: If there is a developer and consider that it would be possible (or not) to finish EEU project code by a dedicated developer team in less than one year, please debunk or confirm this assumption.

chzandham1605853089785975

Board footer