Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-30 22:43:36

Yu

Opinion: Why Everybody Edits is not quite the "shine" that it was

My name is Yu Narukami, and today I will host my thoughts on Everybody Edits, its current state, as well as whether it upholds its legacy or shatters it.

I can't stress enough how I felt that the changes made to Everybody Edits seemed both helpful and unnecessary, from the cluttered inventory of blocks, backgrounds, and to an extent action blocks (looking at you Boost Tiles!) What I would appreciate is for action blocks to be adjustable, such as the arrows having values that players are able to tinker with, and even bring the power of the arrows to a point that matches the now-existing Boost Tiles. The timed keys should also have adjustable times, and perhaps there are others I can't think of.

I would also like to bring attention to multi-colored backgrounds and blocks. We should have the ability to select an RGB value for each block and background to avoid clutter. I can't stress how much I miss the simplicity of the inventory in the earlier stages of Everybody Edits' life, and how it helped world creators flourish into their legendary status today. Sure, it's possible to wrangle something today, but it involves a higher and (redundant) increased level of attention. Misclicks happen constantly, to the point of inconvenience.

That being said, Everybody Edits in its framework is still the same tool that it was in its beta stages. The once titular Everybody Edits Classic game that spurred worlds and creativity from around the globe is still able in this day and age. Perhaps with a meticulous clean-up of this game's visual system can players appreciate what Everybody Edits is truly made for.

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2020-09-30 23:02:23

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Re: Opinion: Why Everybody Edits is not quite the "shine" that it was

I fully support the idea of taking EE and retooling it for the next generation, but unfortunately the current ground-up sequel is flawed in so many ways I don't think it's ever achievable.  There's a dozen problems that would need to be and won't be fixed just to get to the point of usability, fun, and polish that EE has.  Couple that with the exceedingly rare updates (or even news on future updates), and put that all on top of that a dwindling, fractured community increasingly unwilling to financially support the game, and you have where we are now.  EE will either officially or functionally die after December of this year, and EEU will never live.  Let's just remember fondly what we once had.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2020-10-01 01:12:01, last edited by N1KF (2020-10-01 01:20:34)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

For years now there has been the idea "EE has too much stuff" floating around, and for a long time I agreed. But recently my opinion has changed, and to explain why I'll give a comparison: If an image editor can handle 16,777,216 colors without people complaining, why can't EE handle a few hundred different-looking blocks?

I don't think the problem is that EE is inherently complex, but that EE overly complicates itself. Packages are sorted purely by date created and not theme or design. Boost arrows look like arrows, even though they actually act like speedy gravity dots. Several blocks are made from the same material and used for the same purpose (wood, bricks, metal, sand, plant) yet are split across many different packages with different appearances. There are blocks for very specific things when other blocks would get the same point across (for example, a cement block when we have grey sand blocks). When all of these are lumped together, it creates a mess that could just be fixed by sorting and redesigning the blocks. By carefully merging and splitting packs together the block problem can be solved without removing anything.

I disagree with having full RGB support though. Perfectionists would be distracted by choosing the perfect shades, and others would be tempted to use uglier and saturated colors out of convenience. A few blocks are multicolored, like the Carnival backgrounds. Bright blocks might not handle shading and outlines well, while dark ones might not look shiny enough.

If there are sliders there should be a limited number for each scale, like 8 or 16. Having 16,777,216 unique colors would also require at least an extra 24 bits per block array, which is small by itself but could be big in large amounts.

32OrtonEdge32dh wrote:

I fully support the idea of taking EE and retooling it for the next generation, but unfortunately the current ground-up sequel is flawed in so many ways I don't think it's ever achievable.  There's a dozen problems that would need to be and won't be fixed just to get to the point of usability, fun, and polish that EE has.  Couple that with the exceedingly rare updates (or even news on future updates), and put that all on top of that a dwindling, fractured community increasingly unwilling to financially support the game, and you have where we are now.  EE will either officially or functionally die after December of this year, and EEU will never live.  Let's just remember fondly what we once had.

I was the one to popularize the idea of EE getting a reboot and disagreement on the subject is what caused Nou to leave as owner several weeks later. I think the people here are overlooking my cosmic power over Everybody Edits. If I caused this situation I might as well try to end it.

I don't know if EEU is a good idea, but at the rate it's going I think there are better things to aim for. Do the staff even expect EEU to succeed? Why is there no advertisement or hype around EEU? Why do the staff get tangled up with drama whenever it comes up?? We had ByteArrays weekly vlogs, but he's gone now.

While I agree we should fondly remember EE, I disagree that we should give up on working with quality content nobody is using correctly.

edit: To clarify, my response to your claim that both EE and EEU will die is that it doesn't address EEO or a possible port of EE to JavaScript. Everybody Edits isn't rocket science I'm sure it can be done again as it's been done before.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#4 2020-10-01 04:27:42, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-10-01 05:00:29)

Minisaurus
Banned

Physics:
If the developers don´t also think that the current physics are bad, and need an immense amount of adjustments, then the following text is my opinion in that case:
The current developers don´t understand what the community is looking in a platform "parkour" game, and is not their fault to not meet our expectations, their minds alone are not sufficient to figure out how good physics for a 2d platform game looks like, they are not experts in the game industry and neither we are. The community as a whole can figure out how to make EEU "shine" as EE did with it´s physics, the community is the only "one" that can figure out that important key for the game success. The developer main task is to recreate what the community want and forge it based on the community thoughts and feedback.
(If the developers think that the physics are bad and need an immense amount of adjustments, then they are right and I look forward to see the tons of mistakes and flaws in physics to be fixed)

Graphics:
The problem does not resides in the style but in how it is implemented, EE and EEU are not taking advantage of their art styles, neither they are using their full potential of what those styles have to offer to the game, there are mechanics for the graphics that are not being used, or are very infrequent. So far EE franchise does not have experts in graphics that could apply those improvements and use the full potential of the graphics, but I guess wanting professionals to work for EEU is asking too much right now.

Amount of features:
The graphics could be managed differently, we could have the block/action tool/decorations/backgrounds big grounds and then "subdivide by:" could be by material, ambientation, date.
Blocks could be introduced to the game one per one (EE could still offer packs to be bought, giving a discount for the blocks already owned for example)
The amount of action tools is not a problem in my opinion, those should be aimed to a purpose and add the most amount of settings for that purpose, those settings should be reasonable and add something important to the use of that feature, not making it too overwhelming for the use.
The player could decide what tools and blocks to use, and how complex they want to make their worlds, the game should not be restricted to create simple repetitive game concepts, but offer a vast amount of features to allow all worlds to be different and have different game mechanics.
Each tool should be aimed to improve the gameplay, for example the one ways from EEU does not give the amount of uses that EE one ways had, EE one ways were used not only like one ways but like doors, and that kind of hidden mechanics make each tool important and useful. Splitting the feature in two different ones, (one way and a door like feature that needs the player to jump to open) would be a bad idea as one way has more uses like a door like feature and can be used in different ways not only by needing the player to jump, if you place them looking downwards then the player does not need to jump, that kind of little mechanics makes the one-way better than other alternatives for that purpose.
Portals cannons is other example, spring action tool for example, would not allow all what a portal cannon can do.
There are a lot of other hidden features from tools that are "accidentally" perfect for what they are being used.
But I think making those additional features like door-like feature that need the player to jump, or a cannon tool or a spring tool might be good and add even more options for the player to experiment and use, but keeping the hidden mechanics from the other tools intact anyway.

Customization:
EEU will have a lot more graphic customizations than EE did, even so, EEU won´t have enough customizations for what I would consider a fully customizable game, I think there should be more customizations and settings to edit and create with those customizations unique looking games. Think for example that every block has X different color settings or even more color settings, you won´t be having X blocks in your tool bar but a single one, and by that one you open a HUE color wheel with limited options, you choose those and after so you add the ones you like to your building pallete
There would be backpack, building pallete and building bar, your backpack has every single item your account has, the building pallete is a customizable pallete that can be either pre-defined by the game or edited and created by the player, (the current building tab with the blocks/action tools/decorations/backgrounds EE have right now), and we would have also the building bar, for quick keyboard switching between blocks.

#5 2020-10-01 05:55:31

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I think what we're figuring out is that EEU is aiming high, yet we don't have much evidence the Staff can actually catch up with what they want to do. We don't have any estimations for when EEU and EEO will progress, and when we do it's always an overestimate from Xeno. Perhaps refining EE is a better investment at this point than working on EEU.

What's even happening now? Why haven't we gotten any new announcements in months, besides more EEU to-do lists and staff changes?

Real time and money is being invested into EEU, and Flash is ending support in three months with no news on EEO. I can't be the only one who finds this situation really bizarre. I hope this topic serves as a wake-up call.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#6 2020-10-01 07:56:08

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

guys don't worry i have brought guns

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2020-10-01 08:21:47

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

SirJosh wrote:

You’ve done it.
EE has been saved.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#8 2020-10-01 08:23:33

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

I think it’s pretty clear what’s happening.
The rumbling bloated ship of the EE franchise has finally sunk too low from the iceberg so all of the first-class passengers are leaving in an exodus.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#9 2020-10-01 09:47:58

AllenCaspe9510
Website

EEU Patreon is dropping

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#10 2020-10-01 11:29:53

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

all of the first-class passengers

tumbleweed.gif

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#11 2020-10-01 13:44:01

Gosha

if you believe eeu will be released you haven't been paying attention to past 2 years.

#12 2020-10-01 18:45:14

Snowester

SirJosh wrote:

patriotic music plays

#13 2020-10-01 19:16:43

theoldinese

i wanna join in

bigtext.png

#14 2020-10-02 15:00:51

Victoria
Formerly Koya556
Website

Yu wrote:

My name is Yu Narukami, and today I will host my thoughts on Everybody Edits, its current state, as well as whether it upholds its legacy or shatters it.

I can't stress enough how I felt that the changes made to Everybody Edits seemed both helpful and unnecessary, from the cluttered inventory of blocks, backgrounds, and to an extent action blocks (looking at you Boost Tiles!) What I would appreciate is for action blocks to be adjustable, such as the arrows having values that players are able to tinker with, and even bring the power of the arrows to a point that matches the now-existing Boost Tiles. The timed keys should also have adjustable times, and perhaps there are others I can't think of.

I would also like to bring attention to multi-colored backgrounds and blocks. We should have the ability to select an RGB value for each block and background to avoid clutter. I can't stress how much I miss the simplicity of the inventory in the earlier stages of Everybody Edits' life, and how it helped world creators flourish into their legendary status today. Sure, it's possible to wrangle something today, but it involves a higher and (redundant) increased level of attention. Misclicks happen constantly, to the point of inconvenience.

That being said, Everybody Edits in its framework is still the same tool that it was in its beta stages. The once titular Everybody Edits Classic game that spurred worlds and creativity from around the globe is still able in this day and age. Perhaps with a meticulous clean-up of this game's visual system can players appreciate what Everybody Edits is truly made for.

Your name is beautiful mountain. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Yan Joshua knows as Nightmore, 7kudmath, Ygor Matheus, Kogor, Koya and RQ aka ~
I'm a professional artist, talented in various art forms, and also a programmer.
I had been playing Everybody Edits for four years ago. ~
Learning English and Japanese, Portugal ~
Native Portuguese speaker, fluent ~
20 years old, April 5, 2003. ~
He/Him ~

Contact information:
Discord: Kenny 💀#0578
In-game: 7KUDMATH
Xbox: YanJoshuaRQ
Steam: YanJoshuaRQ

Wooted by:

rat

#15 2020-10-02 17:20:30

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Debora Cris wrote:
Yu wrote:

thank you
You too!

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (2)

#16 2020-10-02 19:13:32

Victoria
Formerly Koya556
Website

TaskManager wrote:
Debora Cris wrote:
Yu wrote:

thank you
You too!

Wtf you are very thank you

Yan Joshua knows as Nightmore, 7kudmath, Ygor Matheus, Kogor, Koya and RQ aka ~
I'm a professional artist, talented in various art forms, and also a programmer.
I had been playing Everybody Edits for four years ago. ~
Learning English and Japanese, Portugal ~
Native Portuguese speaker, fluent ~
20 years old, April 5, 2003. ~
He/Him ~

Contact information:
Discord: Kenny 💀#0578
In-game: 7KUDMATH
Xbox: YanJoshuaRQ
Steam: YanJoshuaRQ

#17 2020-10-02 23:28:26

bunglybongle

Debora Cris wrote:
TaskManager wrote:
Debora Cris wrote:
Yu wrote:

thank you
You too!

Wtf you are very thank you

thank you
You too!

#18 2020-10-03 00:01:49, last edited by mutantdevle (2020-10-03 12:23:57)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I've always been an optimist but I too do sometimes look at the rate of progress and despair. Despite this, one thing that's always kept me going is hearing about the various plans for EEU and imaging just how awesome the game is going to be. If you've truly been listening to the various things Xeno has said over the years about the future of the game then I think it would be hard to argue that EEU doesn't have the potential to reach a similar popularity to what EE once had. Becoming staff and getting a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes has only affirmed this belief of mine. I originally despised the idea of EE being rebooted back when the idea was originally suggested, but I gradually came around to it after coming to understand just what potential a reboot holds.

However, the problem remains that, as great as all this is, it is just potential. We don't really have much to show for it. EEU is yet to even have what made EE so fun before it became so popular. There have been many problems with EEU listed in this thread already - but to be honest, I think the only real one is its lack of progress, the lack of development. All the others, such as the physics, are problems that we are very much aware of and are either actively or theoretically fixing. But they all depend on progress being made and for the most part that progress is slow - way too slow. The server rework is that big hurdle that's preventing any decent progress from being made and until that's done there is pretty much nothing to report - nothing to tell the community to get them excited about anything. And how are we to make progress on hyping the community and delivering content when we're not even making enough progress on the server rework?

That all being said I do think things are starting to change. I can't give any details but there is definitely a spark of life in EEU right now and I'm hoping it gets that long-overdue ball rolling to give people the faith that EEU isn't just a fancy plan that would be amazing in an ideal world and is instead something that is actually deliverable.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

mutantdevle1601679709785008

Board footer