Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-13 17:41:43

Gosha

Open source EE

To me it's pretty clear that EEU is a waste of time, there is barely any progress, false and unrealistic promises and I don't like the owner and where he leads this game.

My questions are simple: if you know programming, would you like to contribute to open source ee? Should it be html5 browser game, c++ sfml or any other type?

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2019-07-13 18:35:48, last edited by Zumza (2019-07-13 18:36:39)

Zumza

Re: Open source EE

First of, anyone who is willing to do anything Xeno says without questioning it, can pretty much join the staff.

From what has been rumoured, Josh doesn't share the code nor with the rest of the staff, and you propose to open source it? https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL

Is it a bad decision to open-source EE? In my opinion, not at all.
EE has a programming-community and takes almost no advantage from it.

I don't believe Xenonetix would ever open-source EE, however.
They should give up on many things to make that happen.

There has been some discussions about this here as well:
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=38430

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 2019-07-13 19:07:07

Gosha

You missed the point. I propose to create new open source EE without that xenonetix's ee/eeu stuff
Game from people to people

Wooted by:

#4 2019-07-13 19:16:36

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

html5 i say

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#5 2019-07-13 22:37:25

Pqwerty

I know some basics in programming but I am unsure if I know enough to help. But if we're legally allowed to make an EE clone, I'd be willing to try.

#6 2019-07-14 01:13:24

den3107

Given there's a decent structure behind it I might fill in bits here and there.
Personally I'm mostly proficient in game engines however (Unreal Engine & Unity), not so much javascript (or an alternative language) frameworks.

#7 2019-07-14 02:38:12

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

den3107 wrote:

Unity

oh boy
they tried

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#8 2019-07-14 03:54:28

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

i would definitely do HTML5, mostly because that's what i'm familiar with

suddenly random sig change

#9 2019-07-14 04:02:22

HomerJC170

There is a JavaScript library for Player.IO, making it 100% possible to remake the original EE in HTML5. AFAIK, EEU is just being made since Flash is being discontinued in 2020. I think it's a huge waste of time to remake the entire game and server when you could just port it to HTML5 super easily... (which could make it cross-platform too)

HOMERJC170.png

Thanks XENONETIX, very cool!
Last edited by Xenonetix (Today 2:34 pm)

"Rule #1: Be slightly annoying, not too much to where it could cause a problem, but just enough to where you are annoying."
"Rule #2: All your heros will die."

11530562.png?theme=dark

#10 2019-07-14 05:13:42, last edited by Gosha (2019-07-14 10:19:33)

Gosha

HomerJC170 wrote:

There is a JavaScript library for Player.IO, making it 100% possible to remake the original EE in HTML5. AFAIK, EEU is just being made since Flash is being discontinued in 2020. I think it's a huge waste of time to remake the entire game and server when you could just port it to HTML5 super easily... (which could make it cross-platform too)

Current ee (in terms of code) is a complete garbage, it's better to create a new one

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2019-07-14 14:31:26, last edited by Minisaurus (2019-07-14 14:33:01)

Minisaurus
Banned

Take an example from other games, divition of direction for games very often is bad for the community, it divides not only the game, but the community.
There go my example:
Gunz the last duel was an amazing game, with a good community base until it divided the direction of the game.
Now there are many different servers for gunz, all of them different from each other, inclusively, there is an Open Source version of the game, "Refined GUNZ"
Overall, now no one of the Gunz versions dominate over the others, they all have small amount of playerbase, in my opinion the reason of the failure was to divide community and most important, direction of the game.
Gunz the second duel, the sequel of the franchise, was a try to revive gunz, and failed miserably,
Why? because it lost the essence of the game, making it a more standard shooter game.

We should not divide the community, and neither lose EE`s essence in any other future version.
EE should avoid multiple divition of direction, many choices lead to no choice for the players, keeping them indecisive.
Or EEU or EEO or EEOpen, not all of them.
If any of them will happen, it would need advertising, and a good administration that does not lose the essence of the game.
EE have not failed, it got it`s victories and defeats, it always found a way to recover after a defeat, it will die mostly because flash plugin dying in the endings of 2020

#12 2019-07-14 15:18:54

den3107

TaskManager wrote:
den3107 wrote:

Unity

oh boy
they tried

The question remains: Was it Unity's fault or theirs //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

HomerJC170 wrote:

I don't think we should limit ourselves in any way by choosing to use Player.IO in advance. There are hundreds of alternatives, some better, some worse, some cheaper, some more expansive. And of course some costing more work than others.
It really depends on a lot of variables what would be the best pick.

#13 2019-07-14 15:39:51

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

den3107 wrote:

I don't think we should limit ourselves in any way by choosing to use Player.IO in advance

I think you'd be stupid to use player.io.

Discord: jawp#5123

#14 2019-07-14 15:40:14

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

So chief, what's the plan?

Gather a little group of talented programmers and get them to work on different parts of the game? Maybe get some artists too, for nice graphics? Perhaps - so that you don't get internal fighting and to keep a clear vision of the future - delegate one or two people to make the bigger decisions? But since having people constantly joining and leaving an open-source project disrupts development progress, you could motivate people to work on the game for longer by compensating them somehow... maybe with a promise of a place on the staff, or even with real money? Hey, I suppose you could even start something like a Patreon to collect funds from hardcore EE fans? Then you can also pay for advertising when the game gets produced?

This sounds familiar...

Maybe - just maybe - they're doing the best they can, and you're naïve for thinking you could do better.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#15 2019-07-14 15:43:30

NoNK

Chill tomohawk, just 'cause you're a mod doesn't mean your belittling opinions are right.

I think gosha is a high quality program user and is not naive. Like, he's a former staff, lol. But the people in the thread offering to help? Yeah, thats probably naive if I had to guess, but I don't have the full picture.

#16 2019-07-14 15:55:22

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

NoNK wrote:

Chill tomohawk, just 'cause you're a mod doesn't mean your belittling opinions are right.

I think gosha is a high quality program user and is not naive. Like, he's a former staff, lol. But the people in the thread offering to help? Yeah, thats probably naive if I had to guess, but I don't have the full picture.

Strong opinions, weakly held. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Gosha is a troll, and didn't do particularly well as staff.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#17 2019-07-14 15:58:32, last edited by Tomahawk (2019-07-14 16:19:23)

Gosha

This community tried countless times to change the direction of the game by changing ownership over and over. I don't believe that changing an owner would do anything anymore.

Also I see that there are amazing people who are willing to spend their free time to write various programs for ee: Atilla, Jesse, capasha,  processor, etc, but their work can't be directly seen in the game because they don't work in ee staff.
No owner viewed their powers as something that could be used to develop ee, some owners even tried to minimize their influence on the game by banning them (which actually backfired and made the development of the game even harder).
I honestly think that this community is tired of countless ownership changes, falsely given hopes and promises, money being stolen.
And I also think that we are capable of running a proper open source project for ee.
1) code can be instantly reviewed and changed, there will be less **** in the project and more practical good mechanics.
2) this opens an opportunity to be fully transparent with the community since anyone can view the state of development of the game. No owner can lie and give false promises to "calm down" the community.
3) anyone can make changes to the game (approved by the community first of course), so there won't be situations like programmers from the staff team having exams and delaying the progress of the game. Anyone can contribute.
4) open source projects are more likely to be more secure. Anyone can review the code and find bugs, security flaws and report them.

LEMME JUST MODMERGE THIS DOUBLEPOST:

I posted that post before you so I hadn't chance to read and reply ^

Tomahawk wrote:

Gosha is a troll, and didn't do particularly well as staff.

I genuinely surprised to hear that, what makes you think I was bad staff member and what actions of mine made you think I am a troll?

I am serious about all this

Edit:
"I think gosha is a high quality program user and is not naive. "

I am not nearly as intelligent in terms of programming as some members of this community, that's why I want to get help from others. I could start my own ee project (and I even made a prototype of eejs 2 years ago),  but I don't think "another ee remake by some dude" is a good idea, community collaboration is a way to go imo.

Edit2:

Tomahawk wrote:

Gather a little group of talented programmers and get them to work on different parts of the game? Maybe get some artists too, for nice graphics? Perhaps - so that you don't get internal fighting and to keep a clear vision of the future - delegate one or two people to make the bigger decisions? But since having people constantly joining and leaving an open-source project disrupts development progress, you could motivate people to work on the game for longer by compensating them somehow... maybe with a promise of a place on the staff, or even with real money? Hey, I suppose you could even start something like a Patreon to collect funds from hardcore EE fans? Then you can also pay for advertising when the game gets produced?

You are disturbing it all like open source games are impossible and there aren't any working examples of it

Tomahawk wrote:

Maybe - just maybe - they're doing the best they can, and you're naïve for thinking you could do better.

I know for a fact that there is a progress on eeu. But it's unbelievably slow for various reasons
I am not naive to think that I can do better. I myself can make more or less proper working version of ee. But with community help it will be much faster and better.

#18 2019-07-14 16:39:22

Kira

I'll be honest. This thread is completely and entirely irrelevant. Doesn't matter how good your suggestion or idea is, it won't be added. Sorry to tell you that.

Wooted by:

#19 2019-07-14 17:03:09

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Gosha wrote:

I genuinely surprised to hear that, what makes you think I was bad staff member and what actions of mine made you think I am a troll?

I'm going by my general impressions of Goshanoob before he became staff, and by the last(?) drama thread. Whether or not Xeno is credible, it's a long list.

But that's slightly beside the point. I shared my concerns because creating a thread like this positions you as the leader of this venture - and there needs to be a leader for it to work.

Gosha wrote:

You are disturbing it all like open source games are impossible and there aren't any working examples of it

I think open-source EE can be done, but faster and better...?

Twice the devs doesn't guarantee twice the progress - sometimes the opposite - and without compensation for work you tend to get fragmented and inconsistent progress. It's difficult to coordinate people who aren't "forced" to work by the threat of not getting paid.

There may turn out to be lots of people who want to contribute, but the number of willing participants doesn't guarantee any number of useful participants. I'm being pessimistic because I haven't seen EE development be quick and easy since the good old days.

I also agree with Minisaurus on dividing the playerbase; there's not enough interest for two EE's.

Gosha wrote:

I am not naive to think that I can do better. I myself can make more or less proper working version of ee

I'd be less sceptical if you'd started development and were ready to receive help, because it shows some of the necessary commitment. Atm it's like sitting around a campfire drinking beer, and saying, "Hey wouldn't it be cool if we...".

Wooted by:

#20 2019-07-14 18:24:44

HomerJC170

Right now, I think an open-source EE recreation is only viable if EEU flops.

HOMERJC170.png

Thanks XENONETIX, very cool!
Last edited by Xenonetix (Today 2:34 pm)

"Rule #1: Be slightly annoying, not too much to where it could cause a problem, but just enough to where you are annoying."
"Rule #2: All your heros will die."

11530562.png?theme=dark

Wooted by:

#21 2019-07-14 20:11:52

Cyral

Pepperidge Farm remembers when we tried this in 2014

Player Since 2011. I used to make bots and stuff.

Wooted by:

#22 2019-07-14 21:27:14, last edited by Norwee (2019-07-14 21:27:48)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Goshanoob hacked and used teleports in my rage worlds :(((((
He is a big meanie.
This game spawned a bunch of weird spinoffs like nobody edits and etc, is that what you mean? Or is what you suggest different from that?

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#23 2019-07-14 21:43:08

ASDruska

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

Goshanoob hacked and used teleports in my rage worlds //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad((((
He is a big meanie.
This game spawned a bunch of weird spinoffs like nobody edits and etc, is that what you mean? Or is what you suggest different from that?

no no there are worse problems than that: for example master1's dreadful puzzles and the kind of **** the campaign team (team, more like kirby) throw at us

cringe ^
based v

ASDruska1563136988754969

Board footer