Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-20 02:32:18

victorious_viking
Anonymous user

Can Diff see who is behind the anoymous name?

Diff do you know who I am? You are allowed to tell me here as anonymous names are different everywhere.

#2 2019-01-20 02:41:23

crazyEmu
Anonymous user

Re: Can Diff see who is behind the anoymous name?

well what do you think
obviously yes

#3 2019-01-20 02:55:20

jealous_roman
Anonymous user

yes.

proof: got warned for post in anon topic

-slabdrill

Wooted by:

#4 2019-01-20 04:12:34

FoamingFerret
Anonymous user

Even with anon names the lil "Warn" button is still in the bottom right corner of every post. And at the top of the warn page there is a little "Username: <RealUsername>" bit of text so yeah if I'm warning you I can see who you are. And the PM that gets sent with every warning, those all show up with real names.

#5 2019-01-20 06:07:40

irritatingInsect
Anonymous user

He obviously can but doesn't do that unless he needs to issue a warning

Wooted by:

#6 2019-01-20 06:13:28

Tangy_turtle
Anonymous user

Yes, he banned me for making a furry thread.

Wooted by:

#7 2019-01-20 06:40:54

Solid_Rabbit
Anonymous user

Vegetarian viking wrote:

then he has my vote

#8 2019-01-20 09:14:10

Second-rate_sheep
Anonymous user

Solid_Rabbit wrote:
Vegetarian viking wrote:

then he has my vote

who said this was a democracy

#9 2019-01-20 11:23:00

Ulcer4
Anonymous user

i think directly no btu indirectly yes (like giving warning or checkign forum code )

#10 2019-01-20 12:33:39

Tangy_turtle
Anonymous user

Ulcer4 wrote:

i think directly no btu indirectly yes (like giving warning or checkign forum code )

The forums think you're an ulcer. Diff, you are savage.

#11 2019-01-20 12:44:34

mightyMilk
Anonymous user

Ulcer4 wrote:

hi peace

im diff

#12 2019-01-20 14:12:39

Ulcer4
Anonymous user

mightyMilk wrote:
Ulcer4 wrote:

hi peace

im diff

im not pe-... well diff hwo did you know did you rly use warning to check who i am?

Wooted by:

#13 2019-01-20 14:28:54

Fluff58
Anonymous user

FoamingFerret wrote:

Even with anon names the lil "Warn" button is still in the bottom right corner of every post. And at the top of the warn page there is a little "Username: <RealUsername>" bit of text so yeah if I'm warning you I can see who you are. And the PM that gets sent with every warning, those all show up with real names.

It’s wrong that you can see real usernames with little effort. If you respected anon posts, due to their often sensitive and personal nature, you’d make it so it showed you only the poster’s anon username when warning them - both on the warm page and in the PM - and not their real name.

Yes, it’s unlikely that a very personal anon post will need a warning, but it can happen. Anon threads promise privacy, and while for the most part I trust you not to betray that promise, it should nevertheless not be easy for you to retrieve real identities, and obviously you shouldn’t unless it’s something serious like an anon forum raid or a suicide note.

Additionally, you and the poster should be notified if their real username is retrieved. It’d keep current and future forum mods honest, and less susceptible to temptation.

-Tomahawk

Wooted by: (2)

#14 2019-01-20 15:39:05, last edited by PalePlumber (2019-01-20 15:40:31)

PalePlumber
Anonymous user

Fluff58 wrote:

Yes, it’s unlikely that a very personal anon post will need a warning, but it can happen. Anon threads promise privacy, and while for the most part I trust you not to betray that promise, it should nevertheless not be easy for you to retrieve real identities, and obviously you shouldn’t unless it’s something serious like an anon forum raid or a suicide note.

Promises privacy as long as you keep in mind the rules I guess, which in my view is fair enough. In the end, we still have to trust the admins / mods and there is nothing that you can do against it.

Wooted by: (2)

#15 2019-01-20 15:49:43, last edited by Silly mouse (2019-01-20 15:51:46)

Silly mouse
Anonymous user

Fluff58 wrote:
FoamingFerret wrote:

It’s wrong that you can see real usernames with little effort. If you respected anon posts, due to their often sensitive and personal nature, you’d make it so it showed you only the poster’s anon username when warning them - both on the warm page and in the PM - and not their real name.

Additionally, you and the poster should be notified if their real username is retrieved. It’d keep current and future forum mods honest, and less susceptible to temptation.

-Tomahawk

I think that it's obviously required that real usernames are given when warning someone due to warning points being accumulative. If you're giving warning points in an anonymous topic it's still going to be added to the real account hence rendering the whole process of keeping the warning as anonymous completely redundant. The way around that issue is to just not give warning points in anonymous topics unless it's very serious which is a solution that brings its own problems.

People will always be aware that forum staff know their real username by way of receiving a warning and warnings still show up as anonymous on the publically available recent warnings page.

Edit: I suppose a solution to your issue of future forum staff potentially trying to exploit the warning system just to find people's identities in anonymous topics would be to have it so that diff is the only one that can issue warnings in anonymous topics.

#16 2019-01-20 16:17:47

Fluff58
Anonymous user

Silly mouse wrote:

I think that it's obviously required that real usernames are given when warning someone due to warning points being accumulative.

The mod doesn't ban the player; the mod gives warnings and the ban system checks those points and automatically hands out a ban if necessary.

In the vast majority of cases there's no reason for a forum mod/admin to know who the anon they're warning really is. The process can be changed so that a warning can be given without ever revealing the anon's username.

#17 2019-01-20 16:29:50

victorious_viking
Anonymous user

Vegetarian viking wrote:

OwO? Comedy

#18 2019-01-20 16:43:00, last edited by FoamingFerret (2019-01-20 16:46:14)

FoamingFerret
Anonymous user

Fluff58 wrote:
FoamingFerret wrote:

-Tomahawk

That would be a pain to implement. The PM system is totally divorced from the warning and anon systems. It'd mean some minor architectural changes since there's currently no place for me to build a feature like that off of. Considering how rarely anon topics are used well that doesn't currently seem worth the effort.

The warnings page at least already has a knowledge of what post it's coming from, I could pull in the few other factors that I need to generate the anon name there fairly easily. And that'd probably be Good Enough™, since seeing past anon names would require actually issuing a warning then navigating to the PM system to find out who's behind the name. And like silly mouse was saying, that'd make the "Warning received" PM a notification that your username is out in the open, and it'd tell you which mod has access to that info.

(Moved to Forum Discussion)

Wooted by:

#19 2019-01-20 17:38:50

Ulcer4
Anonymous user

if you want diff to not know your anon name dont break a ruele in an anon topic simple

#20 2019-01-20 19:13:52

wicked-Ninja
Anonymous user

maggot

Board footer