Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-07 18:48:07

Anatoly

Rotate colors

Before
After

Red stops the player from clicking it without attention. A green 'yes' however was the reason when I lost my artwork :/

#2 2018-11-07 20:35:36

peace

Re: Rotate colors

are you sure you wan tto lose all your pprogress? oh th ebutotn is green so i clck on it must be good NO! think first green deoesnt always mean 'good'

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#3 2018-11-07 20:37:26

Anatoly

peace wrote:

are you sure you wan tto lose all your pprogress? oh th ebutotn is green so i clck on it must be good NO! think first green deoesnt always mean 'good'

I don’t understand what you said and I guess you didn’t I understood what I suggested //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Wooted by:

#4 2018-11-07 20:38:22

peace

i mean green doesnt alway sneed ot mean good you shoudl always read before clickign  abutton

peace.png

#5 2018-11-07 20:44:43

azurepudding

The way it is now is more visually appealing I think.  I don't think it's that confusing.. it's "Quit" and "Yes I want to Quit."  Not "Quit" and "Yes I don't want to not quit."

Azure2.png

#6 2018-11-07 20:48:15, last edited by TaskManager (2018-11-07 20:48:24)

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

The way it is now is more visually appealing I think.  I don't think it's that confusing.. it's "Quit" and "Yes I want to Quit."  Not "Quit" and "Yes I don't want to not quit."

red is bad and green is good
that's literally basics of UI design.
in this case "Yes" is bad because you leave things unsaved and lose your work
and "No" is good because you stay and get a chance to save your work
even if it wouldn't involve "unsaved changes" question, the "are you sure you want to leave?" dialog in most games presents the "Yes" as the negative option, by colouring it red, or placing default selection on "No" button or anything like that

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2018-11-07 20:50:34

azurepudding

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

even if it wouldn't involve "unsaved changes" question, the "are you sure you want to leave?" dialog in most games presents the "Yes" as a negative option, by colouring it red, or placing default selection on "No" button or anything like that

Green isn't necessarily good and the same for red and bad.

Green typically means confirm/proceed while red usually means stop/attention.  They CAN also be used for good and bad, but quitting without save isn't always the "good" option as you may want to discard changes.  You click Go To Lobby to quit, then hit green to confirm.

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#8 2018-11-07 21:51:04

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

azurepudding wrote:

Green typically means confirm/proceed while red usually means stop/attention.  They CAN also be used for good and bad, but quitting without save isn't always the "good" option as you may want to discard changes.  You click Go To Lobby to quit, then hit green to confirm.

There's no real penalty for accidentally clicking cancel, yet players could lose hours of world building because they accidentally leave the world. I think it makes a lot more sense that the quit button would be red.

How about "Yes" being changed to "Quit" and "No" being changed to something like "Cancel"? It seems like that would fix the problem.

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2018-11-07 21:56:01

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

azurepudding wrote:
TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

even if it wouldn't involve "unsaved changes" question, the "are you sure you want to leave?" dialog in most games presents the "Yes" as a negative option, by colouring it red, or placing default selection on "No" button or anything like that

At this point you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Just stop.

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (3)

#10 2018-11-07 22:02:02

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

almost always they are

azurepudding wrote:

Green typically means confirm/proceed while red usually means stop/attention.  They CAN also be used for good and bad

but thats literally the same idea behind both of them???? good = okay, yes, confirm, proceed | bad = stop, warning, error, etc.

azurepudding wrote:

but quitting without save isn't always the "good" option

i never said it is the good option wtf

azurepudding wrote:

you may want to discard changes.  You click Go To Lobby to quit, then hit green to confirm.

green is good
leaving world and discarding changes is NOT good

i8SwC8p.png

Wooted by:

#11 2018-11-08 06:56:44, last edited by azurepudding (2018-11-08 07:05:25)

azurepudding

ZeldaXD wrote:
azurepudding wrote:
TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

At this point you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Just stop.

Nah, I genuinely prefer it the way it is over the suggested change- however I think I'd like N1KF's over the current display.  Just because I have a differing opinion than you doesn't default me to arguing for the sake of it.  https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/52/052_sigh 

this is a topic that is entirely subjective (literally using GOOD and NOT GOOD as reasons), as i'm sure you've gone on about, so excuse me for having a different subjective opinion.  you can't fault me for that.  are you saying my opinion is wrong?

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

almost always they are

azurepudding wrote:

Green typically means confirm/proceed while red usually means stop/attention.  They CAN also be used for good and bad

but thats literally the same idea behind both of them???? good = okay, yes, confirm, proceed | bad = stop, warning, error, etc.

azurepudding wrote:

but quitting without save isn't always the "good" option

i never said it is the good option wtf

azurepudding wrote:

you may want to discard changes.  You click Go To Lobby to quit, then hit green to confirm.

green is good
leaving world and discarding changes is NOT good

lol why are you quote breaking?  i think this means too much to you.

i did say "isn't necessarily" there.

and nah, in this sense green means proceed with quitting.

you want color swap so the "no" option would have to be green.  so yes you are calling it the good option.  oof.

and there you have it.  how do your last two bits not contradict each other?  how can you say discarding changes is bad when you might wanna discard changes?  since yes or no depends on what you want (if you want to discard changes, yes is the "good" answer, if you change your mind, "no" is the good answer), this isn't good vs bad, it's confirm vs cancel.  green is confirm and red is cancel.  i do see where you're coming from but yes isn't necessarily the "good" option as it may be the bad one, depending on what you want.  yes isn't always the "good" option, no isn't always the "not good" option.  so just make it quit and cancel and we can all be happy.

Azure2.png

#12 2018-11-08 13:31:04

daneeko

can anyone tell me how did this snowball into another debate with azure in it?

UzI5nBc.png

#13 2018-11-08 14:38:16

Anatoly

Guys:

Like everywhere red is bad...

azurepudding: With your opinion I’ll ask: How dangerous are you in the traffic with the words “red = good”. «Oh, no! It’s green! Stop the car!»

Like we can also rename it to “Leave” and “Cancel” and add a green save?

Wooted by:

#14 2018-11-08 14:42:01

LukeM
Website

Anatoly wrote:

That could end up going the other way though, people accidentally clicking save and exit when they didn't mean to and overwriting their progress. (Although renaming them to leave and cancel makes sense I guess)

#15 2018-11-08 15:33:10

peace

make ti leave the worl diwhtou saving or ccancel maby people will read the buttons

peace.png

#16 2018-11-08 16:02:50

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

azurepudding wrote:

Well each sentence in your post bears a different thought so I had to take them apart and respond to them one by one

azurepudding wrote:

The question of saving or not saving has a higher priority than leaving or staying
And as such red means abort editing/cancel changes/etc.

azurepudding wrote:

you want color swap so the "no" option would have to be green.  so yes you are calling it the good option.  oof.

Yes its good because you get to keep your work???

azurepudding wrote:

lots of garbage text that I didnt even bother reading

look, im not luka to engage in a 3 pages debate with you, i have better things to spend my time on than just debating for the sake of it
What's the point? Literally take your time to look at the amount of woots in the OP and realize which side is victorious by popular opinion
I rest my case.

i8SwC8p.png

#17 2018-11-08 16:06:28

MWstudios

Speaking of the buttons, it'd be also good if they switch "Yes" and "No" to "No" and "Yes"

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#18 2018-11-08 18:09:51, last edited by azurepudding (2018-11-08 21:35:51)

azurepudding

Anatoly wrote:

Guys:

Like everywhere red is bad...

azurepudding: With your opinion I’ll ask: How dangerous are you in the traffic with the words “red = good”. «Oh, no! It’s green! Stop the car!»

it's a case by case thing. Also I don't think your analogy makes much sense, as red light doesn't mean "bad," it means stop.  What if you proceed through a red light?  You can get in a car accident, so stopping is the "good" option.  Green means go or to leave, just as it means here (green leaves the world).

In the sense it's used in-game, it's green is confirm, red is cancel.

TaskManager wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Well each sentence in your post bears a different thought so I had to take them apart and respond to them one by one

azurepudding wrote:

The question of saving or not saving has a higher priority than leaving or staying
And as such red means abort editing/cancel changes/etc.

azurepudding wrote:

Yes its good because you get to keep your work???

azurepudding wrote:

lots of garbage text that I didnt even bother reading

look, im not luka to engage in a 3 pages debate with you, i have better things to spend my time on than just debating for the sake of it
What's the point? Literally take your time to look at the amount of woots in the OP and realize which side is victorious by popular opinion
I rest my case.

Not reading is you arguing for the sake of arguing.  Sometimes you might want to discard changes, so Yes can be the desired option.  If it truly was an always "bad" option, the game wouldn't even allow the option.  It would force you to save before returning to lobby.  Would you be fine with a forced save, since discard is always bad to you?  Or are there some occurrences where you may want to discard?  What about losing the ability to /loadlevel ? As that's basically the same thing without quitting the world, it still discards changes.  What if someone trolls the world?  Sometimes trust can fall through, or you can have an open edit world where it's bound to happen.  What if you make changes to art, but decide the first try looked better?  What if you accidentally draw over in a complicated portal/switch system, but you can't recall the exact IDs?  Etc etc.  Sometimes you want to undo changes, and sometimes you don't.  This isn't Green Good and Red Bad, it's Green Confirm and Red Cancel.

EDIT: Still up for a green Quit and red Cancel.  I'd like that better than green Yes and red No.

Azure2.png

#19 2018-11-08 18:14:39

mikelolsuperman
Website

Maybe put some kind of 'are you sure' screen or something. Not more than 1 though, I once saw where you had to click like 7 different times for an action.

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#20 2018-11-08 22:12:58

Anatoly

azurepudding what do you not understand?

Red = ATTENTION =!Do not exit without saving!!!

Wooted by: (2)

#21 2018-11-08 22:42:36

Luka504

*incoming 'I disagree with you on this one, azure' memes*
The reason why Yes should be labeled red and No should be labeled a different color (like grey) is because clicking Yes has a lot more potential to cause unwanted damage. As soon as you click 'Yes' your fate is sealed and your creation undone. But by clicking 'No' you aren't automatically saving all of the progress you made, you still have the choice of saving or not saving.

And that's why those options should be colored differently. Red is a color associated with danger/risk, thus it should be used for the option that is more closely related to danger, aka 'Yes'. Grey should be used for the more neutral of the two choices, aka 'No'.

You might not personally like it, but I'm sure that for a good amount of people it's easy to click a green 'Yes' compulsively and undo hours of work.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#22 2018-11-08 23:27:43

azurepudding

Anatoly wrote:

azurepudding what do you not understand?

Red = ATTENTION =!Do not exit without saving!!!

My counter to this is what I just literally said so I won't bother repeating.

Luka504 wrote:

*incoming 'I disagree with you on this one, azure' memes*
The reason why Yes should be labeled red and No should be labeled a different color (like grey) is because clicking Yes has a lot more potential to cause unwanted damage. As soon as you click 'Yes' your fate is sealed and your creation undone. But by clicking 'No' you aren't automatically saving all of the progress you made, you still have the choice of saving or not saving.

And that's why those options should be colored differently. Red is a color associated with danger/risk, thus it should be used for the option that is more closely related to danger, aka 'Yes'. Grey should be used for the more neutral of the two choices, aka 'No'.

You might not personally like it, but I'm sure that for a good amount of people it's easy to click a green 'Yes' compulsively and undo hours of work.

I don't think gray should be used as gray's often used for an unavailable option, and red's bright and brings all attention to it instead.  Maybe I'm biased as I don't think I have ever chosen the No option- always Yes if testing stuff I don't necessarily want to keep.  Otherwise I always save before quitting.  Red as yes would play a color trick on me I think as it'd feel like I'd be canceling when I'm actually confirming.

Azure2.png

#23 2018-11-09 00:38:54

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

azurepudding wrote:

Red as yes would play a color trick on me I think as it'd feel like I'd be canceling when I'm actually confirming.

So what's the problem? You think it being red will stop you from clicking on it? In which case all it takes is for you to process what you want to do for at most 2 seconds and clicking the button anyway. It's an extremely minor inconvenience to you but potentially hour saving for others.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#24 2018-11-09 00:49:25

azurepudding

mutantdevle wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Red as yes would play a color trick on me I think as it'd feel like I'd be canceling when I'm actually confirming.

So what's the problem? You think it being red will stop you from clicking on it? In which case all it takes is for you to process what you want to do for at most 2 seconds and clicking the button anyway. It's an extremely minor inconvenience to you but potentially hour saving for others.

I can see this screwing over others as well.

You want to quit and hit Go To Lobby, and you see the red button.  You forgot to save, so you decide to cancel and possibly hit red and.. it didn't cancel, it leaves the world, losing your progress.  It's arguably misleading either way, but at least the way I see it, if I hit quit, green is for-sure the confirm color while red is for-sure the cancel color, whereas if you see it as "good vs bad," what's good to you depends on the situation.  You may want to discard changes which is the "good" option, you may want to go back and save which also would be the "good" option.  What's good or bad is situational, but confirm/cancel is always consistent.  Green is always confirm, red always cancel.

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#25 2018-11-09 07:25:07

Anatoly

azurepudding wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

I can see this screwing over others as well.

You want to quit and hit Go To Lobby, and you see the red button.  You forgot to save, so you decide to cancel and possibly hit red and.. it didn't cancel, it leaves the world, losing your progress.  It's arguably misleading either way, but at least the way I see it, if I hit quit, green is for-sure the confirm color while red is for-sure the cancel color, whereas if you see it as "good vs bad," what's good to you depends on the situation.  You may want to discard changes which is the "good" option, you may want to go back and save which also would be the "good" option.  What's good or bad is situational, but confirm/cancel is always consistent.  Green is always confirm, red always cancel.

Red is always “Better do not do this”, grey is “Better ignore” and green is the “best way”. Is it the best way, to quit, to lose all your changes, to be annoyed about EE again showing the correct way to lose your data, being so angry that you’ll want to quit?

No.

You’re the only one right now being the opponent of this idea. Everyone sees the good in it, why don’t you?

Anatoly1541965747731678

Board footer