Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-02 03:57:48

cpcrabs

What counts as a minigame?

Recently my friends and I have been confused about the definition of a minigame. Some people claim that a minigame can be any challenge separated by checkpoints/safe areas, and others are saying that they require arrows to be considered minis. I thought it'd be nice to have some clarity, especially going onwards into EEU where we'll be met by a lot of new players.

According to the Everybody Edits Wikia page, a mini is defined as a "small level, commonly containing platforming, obstacle navigation or anything that requires certain key presses to pass." It adds that "The boundaries of a minigame are distinguished by checkpoints, different colored blocks and so on." However, the wikia could be outdated as definitions change over time.

Some people argue that a minigame must have arrows as the main feature, otherwise they consider it to be parkour. A friend of mine argued the point that other games don't call parkour "minigames" and so EE shouldn't either.

My opinion on this is that minigames are small challenges that are separated between different safe points, whether it uses arrows or not I'd still consider it a minigame. It won't get confusing because just like with levels, minigames also can have different genres like "parkour minis", or "arrow minis". However, I'd gladly change to the most agreed upon opinion.

I made a quick strawpoll to quickly see what most people think is correct. If you have another view on what a minigame is that isn't an option in the strawpoll, you can always write a reply instead //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
https://strawpoll.com/cexychb5

17 i think

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2018-11-02 03:58:40

Muftwin

Re: What counts as a minigame?

ur mom //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

hNtlhM5.png
ZOEY DOESNT ACCEPT ANYTHING

#3 2018-11-02 04:03:07

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

anything separated by a checkpoint is my definition.

something needing arrows to be considered a minigame is bad logic imo, otherwise there's plenty of things that wouldn't count as minigames such as some of the minis in A - MP (they use boosts; those arent arrows), or things like mini 84 in TTL: Spike Edition.

suddenly random sig change

#4 2018-11-02 04:13:37

Emily

I find it best to make minis and parkour different. Minis 99% of the time requiring arrows and parkour usually requiring just what its called, parkour.
Minis are probably EverybodyEdits exclusive since its the only game that does add arrows. It also helps sort worlds since I do not care for arrow filled maps and
since you see worlds titled "99% hard parkour" you could just assume its gonna be actual parkour and not slidey arrow stuff like you could see in "100 minis to code". It just makes it easier to find it what you like to play.
We pretty much give puzzle maps their own special name as "puzzle maps". The difference between parkour and minis may not be very different, but adding one new type of officially recognized game play surely couldn't hurt. I also quickly made this image to show its common for people to make parkour and minis differently judged on how they titled their world.
4WdTXh1.png
So as you can see in the image. You can probably find the red dot box in those mini based worlds.
But the green dot is very common in "parkour test your skill" maps. There are some odd cases where its not always like that, but like I said before EE is the only game that adds arrows so for simplicity these things should be called differently.

@KIRBY can you update my IWBTG time

#5 2018-11-02 04:14:05

azurepudding

I think it stems from the XX [ color ] minigames worlds, as seen there on that wiki page.  Basically a "room" in a world.  Typically once you reach the next room, you're unable to fall back into the previous (unless if allowed).  Basically a safe spot that doesn't necessarily need a checkpoint tile, just that if you fail a jump in the next mini, you won't be brought back to the previous one. 

The definition's kind of loose, but for me it's a section of the world where upon completion, brings you to a safe spot for the next section.

Azure2.png

#6 2018-11-02 04:23:46

cpcrabs

Emily wrote:

I find it best to make minis and parkour different. Minis 99% of the time requiring arrows and parkour usually requiring just what its called, parkour.
Minis are probably EverybodyEdits exclusive since its the only game that does add arrows. It also helps sort worlds since I do not care for arrow filled maps and
since you see worlds titled "99% hard parkour" you could just assume its gonna be actual parkour and not slidey arrow stuff like you could see in "100 minis to code". It just makes it easier to find it what you like to play.
We pretty much give puzzle maps their own special name as "puzzle maps". The difference between parkour and minis may not be very different, but adding one new type of officially recognized game play surely couldn't hurt. I also quickly made this image to show its common for people to make parkour and minis differently judged on how they titled their world.
https://i.imgur.com/4WdTXh1.png
So as you can see in the image. You can probably find the red dot box in those mini based worlds.
But the green dot is very common in "parkour test your skill" maps. There are some odd cases where its not always like that, but like I said before EE is the only game that adds arrows so for simplicity these things should be called differently.

If I understand you correctly, your main point is that minis should have arrows so that it's easier to categorize and know the difference between parkour and arrow based worlds. However, I think it's still just as easy to find the difference if you refer to them as both minigames, since arrow based minis are usually called, well, "arrow based minis". And parkour based minis are usually shortened to just parkour. BUT I don't think it's wrong to refer to a small section of a parkour world as a minigame.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your side though. It's a very interesting topic and I'm excited to see the results //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

17 i think

#7 2018-11-02 04:28:10, last edited by Freckleface (2018-11-02 04:31:40)

Freckleface

A minigame is a movement based puzzle where one needs to do a specific series of maneuvers in a certain order in order to complete.

Parkour would be more considered jumping from block to block to reach the goal.

F

Wooted by:

#8 2018-11-02 16:51:09

MWstudios

Minigame is a small, preferably square room with mostly one puzzle
Minigames are often made using just one/two blocks, but a lot of actions

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#9 2018-11-02 16:56:38, last edited by PTU (2018-11-02 17:00:54)

PTU
Formerly Pipec

MWstudios wrote:

preferably square

no??

where did you hear this

M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png

UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png

#10 2018-11-02 17:09:59

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

behold, my approach at defining the term "minigame":
A minigame is a structure of blocks (both solid and action blocks) that implies a player should follow a certain path or a sequence of actions to reach a specific location, that is usually a reward block (coin, trophy, switch, etc.) or an exit from the blocks structure, and somehow punishes them for taking an incorrect path or course of actions. While a minigame always implies a path from one point to another, that path does not necessarily have to be possible for a player to follow (an impossible mini is still a mini?)

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (4)

#11 2018-11-02 18:41:33

peace

and staris?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#12 2018-11-03 02:20:14

cpcrabs

TaskManager wrote:

behold, my approach at defining the term "minigame":
A minigame is a structure of blocks (both solid and action blocks) that implies a player should follow a certain path or a sequence of actions to reach a specific location, that is usually a reward block (coin, trophy, switch, etc.) or an exit from the blocks structure, and somehow punishes them for taking an incorrect path or course of actions. While a minigame always implies a path from one point to another, that path does not necessarily have to be possible for a player to follow (an impossible mini is still a mini?)

Somebody add a simplified version of this to the EEU's wikia. Great explanation.

17 i think

#13 2018-11-04 13:01:37

ASDruska

forget parkour is a word and call everything a minigame

or look at a 200 minigames world and see whats a mini

cringe ^
based v

#14 2018-11-04 13:42:20

peace

ASDruska wrote:

forget parkour is a word and call everything a minigame

or look at a 200 minigames world and see whats a mini

what about campaigns? i doubt minis needs to be inside boxes

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#15 2018-11-05 02:25:42

Kira

A game within a game, so everything basically

Wooted by: (4)

#16 2018-11-05 06:06:05

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

empty spaces dont count as a mini

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

ILikeTofuuJoe1541394365730546

Board footer