Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-11-20 18:20:17

TundrumMax
Formerly Memomemo

Re: (Metaphorically) Everyone's Getting Muted

Oh boy this has gone full circle.

Zoey literally muted me for a day literally as I went to bed, which was kinda half the reason why I did that mute joke in the first place because we all remember that one time when Zoey muted me for 10 minutes while I was browsing Reddit, which was funny as hell.

Anyway, i'm just gonna say that Zoey really needs to know the difference between Homophobia and Satire.

Zoey and Zumza are mediocre mods at best, and they must realise that my habits don't change because of a simple mute, as some man said,

some man wrote:

And from what I've seen, people being muted for this aren't changing their behavior, they usually just regard it as a problem with the person muting them. Even if there are results, it's not because they've learned to stop slinging around the word gay, they've just learned to stop using it only around the people who are muting them. So their behavior isn't actually changing, they're just stopping for the sake of people who are overly sensitive about the word itself. Come on, this is obvious.

I can speak by breathing in but it sounds like a dying horse

TundrumMax.png

Signature by HG

#52 2018-11-20 23:12:31

Helvi

some man wrote:

^ Nope, I was wrong there. Zoey's back at it and muting repeat offenders for up to an entire day:
https://i.frogbox.es/l77

Most people here use "gay" to mean "lame" or the like, and while this is annoying, the answer is not slapping people with a mute for continuing behavior they consider natural. Anyone who's not an extreme prescriptivist can tell whether the word "gay" is being used to actually shame the queer or as a filler word that doesn't actually refer to sexuality. "Lynch the gay" is homophobic. "That **** is hella gay" is probably not.
And from what I've seen, people being muted for this aren't changing their behavior, they usually just regard it as a problem with the person muting them. Even if there are results, it's not because they've learned to stop slinging around the word gay, they've just learned to stop using it only around the people who are muting them. So their behavior isn't actually changing, they're just stopping for the sake of people who are overly sensitive about the word itself. Come on, this is obvious.

Using "gay" or other terms and descriptions in a defametory context seems legit for a few while others do feel insulted or offended. This also applies to the ni***** word, or in general everything "nazi" which is my personal favorite because it de-values what it actually stands for. It is heavily offensive toward the vicitms of former nazi germanys war crimes. People are using this term very narrow minded and lightly. Just saying.

Hi.

#53 2018-11-21 19:30:56

some woman

Maybe I should state my views more clearly.

Memomemo wrote:

Anyway, i'm just gonna say that Zoey really needs to know the difference between Homophobia and Satire.

Zoey and Zumza are mediocre mods at best, and they must realise that my habits don't change because of a simple mute

I was not supporting your behavior. Saying gay for teh funnies is still childish, and it seems like people here who do it have the same mindset as a rebellious preteen told not to say bad words (and then post mocking copypastas to prove how edgy they are). I just can't justify muting for it since you're not outright intending it to be offensive, it's not breaking the flow of the chat, and (unfortunately) muting for it is not really going to change how you act in the future. Don't piggyback me just because I'm "the normal one" and I don't mute as many people as the other mods.

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#54 2018-11-21 22:17:11

Helvi

some man wrote:

Maybe I should state my views more clearly.

Memomemo wrote:

Zoey and Zumza are mediocre mods at best, and they must realise that my habits don't change because of a simple mute

I was not supporting your behavior. Saying gay for teh funnies is still childish, and it seems like people here who do it have the same mindset as a rebellious preteen told not to say bad words (and then post mocking copypastas to prove how edgy they are). I just can't justify muting for it since you're not outright intending it to be offensive, it's not breaking the flow of the chat, and (unfortunately) muting for it is not really going to change how you act in the future. Don't piggyback me just because I'm "the normal one" and I don't mute as many people as the other mods.

One can argue bout the infractions issued. An hour off doesn't change much. But a week will, or maybe more.
It is not uncommon on certain forums that bans are issued at the lenght of at least one month and can vary, up to 3 or 6 months and even 12.

It is the same issue with speeding in your car. In germany the sanctions are so low for speeding (going 69km/h in a zone for 50km/h results in a fine of 35 euros and nothing more) that people just don't care and not reconsider their behavior.

And with self centered people within a society nothing will ever change toward the greater good of the communuty itself. Its pure ignorance toward others. This applies to chats and forums as well as .. speeding on the road. One only thinks as far as the own big Mercedes star on the end of the car hood. When small or minor infractions won't work and the usual discussions seem to be a work in futility, a long term ban is the only answer to make people rethink the way they approach others.
And weighting the loss / ban of a single user against the general constructiveness of the entire community seems a good sacrifice imo.

Hi.

Wooted by:
Helvi1542835031732870

Board footer