Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-16 16:30:33

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Locally storing save files

If people will have a limited amount of savefiles due to storage space limits, why not allow storing them as a file on their device?

This will allow people who know how to manage files to have as many save slots as they want.

I wouldn't be too worried about cheating since people can cheat anyway.

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2018-08-16 16:55:22

LukeM
Website

Re: Locally storing save files

Hmm... This is quite a good idea, but I'm not sure how safe storing files locally would be... I often have a problem where all the local data is wiped (probably due to having multiple instances open at the same time), in which case all of my saves would be lost. Sometimes people also have some sort of incognito mode enabled, or occasionally wipe their cookies so this might also cause annoyance when they don't realise this will delete their saved.

I guess the other problem is that the rEEboot could have better anti cheat, in which case save file manipulation would become a big problem, but not sure about this so I guess its too soon to tell whether this will be a problem.

#3 2018-08-16 18:15:44

rgl32

LukeM wrote:

Hmm... This is quite a good idea, but I'm not sure how safe storing files locally would be... I often have a problem where all the local data is wiped (probably due to having multiple instances open at the same time), in which case all of my saves would be lost. Sometimes people also have some sort of incognito mode enabled, or occasionally wipe their cookies so this might also cause annoyance when they don't realise this will delete their saved.

I guess the other problem is that the rEEboot could have better anti cheat, in which case save file manipulation would become a big problem, but not sure about this so I guess its too soon to tell whether this will be a problem.

I think he's talking more about a file on your computer, not on the browser, so it wouldn't rely on cookies.

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2018-08-16 18:55:08

LukeM
Website

rgl32 wrote:

I think he's talking more about a file on your computer, not on the browser, so it wouldn't rely on cookies.

That sounds like a pain though... Plus it would mean that you could do cheaty things like reloading saves whenever you missed a jump or modify the save files incredibly easily without even needing client modifications.

#5 2018-08-16 20:27:23, last edited by Slabdrill (2018-08-16 20:27:35)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

LukeM wrote:
rgl32 wrote:

That sounds like a pain though... Plus it would mean that you could do cheaty things like reloading saves whenever you missed a jump or modify the save files incredibly easily without even needing client modifications.

Wouldn't you be able to load a save whenever you miss a jump anyway?

Xenonetix mentioned two kinds of saves: An autosave and save slots which only save at save points (and/or checkpoints depending). The autosave would be as they outlined (campaign saving), but the save slots would be loadable at any time ingame.

suddenly random sig change

#6 2018-08-16 20:58:11

LukeM
Website

Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Xenonetix mentioned two kinds of saves: An autosave and save slots which only save at save points (and/or checkpoints depending). The autosave would be as they outlined (campaign saving), but the save slots would be loadable at any time ingame.

Not really sure what the plan would be, but I was thinking more of something where you pick a save slot when you join the world, then it autosaves to that slot as you play / when you leave, which would avoid these possible problems as it would be automatically overwritten if you failed a jump or something.

#7 2018-08-16 21:12:26

rgl32

LukeM wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Not really sure what the plan would be, but I was thinking more of something where you pick a save slot when you join the world, then it autosaves to that slot as you play / when you leave, which would avoid these possible problems as it would be automatically overwritten if you failed a jump or something.

I'm not sure if I like that.

The point of multiple saves is returning to parts of a game you want to replay/start off from. Making it autosave the file ruins the point of multiple save files in my opinion.

That system you suggested sounds much better with a single save system where you don't have to worry about replaying a level, while good for one save, makes every other save practically useless.

rgl321534450346719845

Board footer