Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-31 08:31:32

Anatoly

Diagonal Gravity

Anatoly's Graphics Topic wrote:
Diagonal Gravity

fv0G7Aw.png
Two gravity blocks in one.

I know people discussed it earlier, but it would be cool to implement diagonal gravity in the next versions of ee. I mean, if you really rewrite the reboot from blank, then pls add this at the early stages //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2018-07-31 08:43:03, last edited by PTU (2018-07-31 08:44:17)

PTU
Formerly Pipec

Re: Diagonal Gravity

But why?
I can't imagine how would this work, and in which ways useful (?)

M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png

UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png

#3 2018-07-31 10:07:16

peace

Anatoly wrote:
Anatoly's Graphics Topic wrote:
Diagonal Gravity

https://i.imgur.com/fv0G7Aw.png
Two gravity blocks in one.

I know people discussed it earlier, but it would be cool to implement diagonal gravity in the next versions of ee. I mean, if you really rewrite the reboot from blank, then pls add this at the early stages //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

diagonal boosters nad grav effect too then it would be quite easy to explain how these work you get pulled to 2 sides and jump diagonaly backnot sure abotu moviin inside them though

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#4 2018-07-31 11:10:00

Latif

No please.

You don't even realize how insanely stupid this idea is. What Pipec said is true.

#5 2018-07-31 11:28:42

LukeM
Website

Why's everyone so against this? I don't see what's so bad about it?

#6 2018-07-31 12:02:01

minam

LukeM wrote:

It sounds like a very buggy block. Also may be quite limiting because you can only use it in corners if you want the players to float.
Also begs the question of diagonal blocks themselves.

On the plus, they might improve stalactites tho.:P

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

Wooted by:

#7 2018-07-31 12:12:05

Latif

LukeM wrote:

1. If this gets implemented, you'll also have to implement ramps.
2. How would the controls work in diagonal arrows. For example let's take the arrow to the top-right, then we'll either have to press left or up to go to the top-left and press right or down to go to the bottom-right.
3. I don't know how you can make interesting game play with this, it only makes game play more confusing in my opinion.

Wooted by: (3)

#8 2018-07-31 12:37:50

peace

LukeM wrote:

ok lukem you can freely add it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile i will see them in a few days k thnx

peace.png

Wooted by:

#9 2018-07-31 13:01:28, last edited by Anatoly (2018-07-31 13:03:03)

Anatoly

Latif wrote:

2. How would the controls work in diagonal arrows. For example let's take the arrow to the top-right, then we'll either have to press left or up to go to the top-left and press right or down to go to the bottom-right.
3. I don't know how you can make interesting game play with this, it only makes game play more confusing in my opinion.

Latif wrote:

No please.

You don't even realize how insanely stupid this idea is. What Pipec said is true.

Pipec wrote:

But why?

Lol are you really against the idea because you can't imagine how it will work?

:XD: LOL :XD:

Btw.

Latif wrote:

You didn't contain a real reason in this post, banned for saying "no". You don't realise how good it will be, new mini games, new controls. If you don't like it, don't use it.

#10 2018-07-31 13:03:33

minam

Anatoly wrote:
Latif wrote:

Latif wrote:

No please.

Pipec wrote:

But why?

How would it work and how would you use it?

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

#11 2018-07-31 13:12:58

Anatoly

minam wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
Latif wrote:

Latif wrote:

No please.

Pipec wrote:

But why?

If we assume that the left arrow is: xSpeed = -1, ySpeed = 0, then the left-top arrow is xSpeed = -1, ySpeed = -1 (top)

Id use it in new mini games for new controls, new physics, it would be something completely new, so, im sure it would be great.

Wooted by:

#12 2018-07-31 13:21:24

minam

Anatoly wrote:
minam wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
Latif wrote:

Latif wrote:

No please.

Pipec wrote:

But why?

If we assume that the left arrow is: xSpeed = -1, ySpeed = 0, then the left-top arrow is xSpeed = -1, ySpeed = -1 (top)

Id use it in new mini games for new controls, new physics, it would be something completely new, so, im sure it would be great.

If you know the Pythagorean Theorem, you can easily tell that this left-top arrow is clearly faster, and therefore stronger than existing ones.
According to what you say, the hypothetical speed you would go diagonally would be approx. 1.4.

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

#13 2018-07-31 17:10:16

Anatoly

minam wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
minam wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
Latif wrote:

Latif wrote:

No please.

Pipec wrote:

But why?

If you know the Pythagorean Theorem, you can easily tell that this left-top arrow is clearly faster, and therefore stronger than existing ones.
According to what you say, the hypothetical speed you would go diagonally would be approx. 1.4.

Wait. Wait.

What does a^2 + b^2 = c^2 has to do with this?

#14 2018-07-31 17:58:59, last edited by hummerz5 (2018-07-31 17:59:38)

hummerz5

Anatoly wrote:

He's suggesting that if the block pushes both horizontally and vertically at the standard rates, it'd end up pushing the user with a vector pointing at the 45 degree angle with the combined force.

We could do something like the head to tail method to demonstrate it visually, but since we know that we have two perpendicular forces, I believe we can just treat this as a right triangle, making angles and hypotenuse measure trivial.

edit: I think.

#15 2018-07-31 18:37:11

Anatoly

hummerz5 wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

He's suggesting that if the block pushes both horizontally and vertically at the standard rates, it'd end up pushing the user with a vector pointing at the 45 degree angle with the combined force.

We could do something like the head to tail method to demonstrate it visually, but since we know that we have two perpendicular forces, I believe we can just treat this as a right triangle, making angles and hypotenuse measure trivial.

edit: I think.

no, why double speed? Its just pointing diagonally.

#16 2018-07-31 20:25:08, last edited by LukeM (2018-07-31 20:25:43)

LukeM
Website

Anatoly wrote:

If you had both a down and left acceleration of 1 (what you were suggesting), you'd end up with a diagonal acceleration of 1.414... so you'd end up going almost 50% faster than in normal gravity
91Zt4mQ.png

Not that this would be hard to solve, they were just picking at a small mistake you made //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#17 2018-08-01 04:06:45, last edited by minam (2018-08-01 04:09:26)

minam

LukeM wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

If you had both a down and left acceleration of 1 (what you were suggesting), you'd end up with a diagonal acceleration of 1.414... so you'd end up going almost 50% faster than in normal gravity
https://i.imgur.com/91Zt4mQ.png

Not that this would be hard to solve, they were just picking at a small mistake you made //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Would there be slope blocks and diagonal boosts, gravity and more that come with it too? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

Wooted by:

PTU

#18 2018-08-01 06:32:45

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

my solution so the player moves at the speed of normal gravity is
Assume c=1, a=b, which means a=b=1/1.414…

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#19 2018-08-01 06:48:44

minam

But what would the controls be?

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

#20 2018-08-01 08:37:33

Anatoly

minam wrote:

What do you mean?

#21 2018-08-01 09:39:46

minam

Anatoly wrote:
minam wrote:

What do you mean?

Basically, if the arrows are like this:

>|
  >|
  >|
  >|
then up will go up and down will go down.

But if is like this:
(/ is diagonal arrow going up and right)
  /|
  /|
  /|
  /|
1. Would you be able to counter the force pushing on you by moving by going downwards?

And if it is like this:

_
   /|

2. Would you be able to jump from it, and how many diagonal lengths long would it go with no-grav? (basically asking if this is actually going to be both the strength of up+right or both weakened so the strength of the arrow is the same as the others.

Finally, look at this:
   _
   /|_
   / /|_
     / /|_
       / /|
Doesn't arrows like this seem weird without diagonal blocks?

Overall saying that this is a very new aspect (if it were to be implemented) in the game.

minam wrote:
LukeM wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

Would there be slope blocks and diagonal boosts, gravity and more that come with it too? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

If there were diagonal arrows, it would probably make sense (like I said in this previous post) to add diagonal boosts and diagonal gravity too, then begs the question of diagonal blocks, one-ways and more.

TL;DR
I was too lazy to make actual diagrams. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

#22 2018-08-01 10:21:35

peace

LukeM wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

this is true so if you want C to be 1 and no 1.4 then 1²=1 1/2=0.5 sqrt 0.5=~0.7

peace.png

#23 2018-08-01 14:20:01, last edited by Freckleface (2018-08-01 14:21:47)

Freckleface

minam wrote:

Text wall

holding up would make you go up whilst holding down would make you down. Goin in gravity doesnt rotate your cobtrols.

It could also work so that if you are touching a wall or corner you simply wont jump. I could see these being useful for minis and the sort.

F

#24 2018-08-01 14:22:08

LukeM
Website

Freckleface wrote:
minam wrote:

holding up would make you go up whilst holding down would make you down. Goin in gravity doesnt rotate your cobtrols.

It could also work so that if you are touching a wall or corner you simply wont jump. I could see these being useful for minis and the sort.

They meant what controls would you be allowed to press, not what controls would do what (you can't press up while in downwards gravity, would you be able to press it in diagonally down gravity?)

Wooted by:

#25 2018-08-01 14:28:30, last edited by minam (2018-08-01 14:31:22)

minam

LukeM wrote:
Freckleface wrote:
minam wrote:

They meant what controls would you be allowed to press, not what controls would do what (you can't press up while in downwards gravity, would you be able to press it in diagonally down gravity?)

That's pretty much it. (since you can't just add diagonal arrows to my keyboard)

I also found out that I can't explain stuff without diagrams, but am too lazy to make them. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Isn't this eggciting?
ZWfJa.gif07acp.gif

Wooted by:
peace1533132601717406

Board footer