Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-27 03:04:47

P788

Remove ability to lock own topics

I'd like to request this for all users, as I found one way of this being abused.

https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … 10#p711510

The owner decided to post, wanted to not talk anymore, and closed the topic, without me or Kira being able to reply to this post, not even counting the other people who could also post because there was another discussion at the time about something else.

Effectively deciding to be the last person to answer. This can't happen and should be removed.

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2018-06-27 03:08:43

Anak

Re: Remove ability to lock own topics

Honestly there are more times where it is useful than harmful. If you want to continue the discussion with him, open a group PM, and if he still doesn't want to talk, then there's not really any point continuing it.
This is the first time I've seen this become an issue so idk if there have been others but otherwise it doesn't look like something that needs to happen.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2018-06-27 03:08:55, last edited by drunkbnu (2018-06-27 03:09:51)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

#4 2018-06-27 08:56:59, last edited by LukeM (2018-06-27 08:57:45)

LukeM
Website

I do find it really annoying when people close topics, I've once or twice spent 30+ mins writing a long explanatory reply to a Q&A topic when someone replies with 'yes' or whatever so the OP closes the topic //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

It's especially bad in bug reports, as even if a bug is solved in one case, there may still be other ways to trigger it, and sometimes it may come up again in a later update.

Wooted by:

#5 2018-06-27 11:15:36

P788

Anak wrote:

Honestly there are more times where it is useful than harmful. If you want to continue the discussion with him, open a group PM, and if he still doesn't want to talk, then there's not really any point continuing it.
This is the first time I've seen this become an issue so idk if there have been others but otherwise it doesn't look like something that needs to happen.

I don't agree with "there are more times where it is useful". Can you show examples?

LukeM wrote:

I do find it really annoying when people close topics, I've once or twice spent 30+ mins writing a long explanatory reply to a Q&A topic when someone replies with 'yes' or whatever so the OP closes the topic //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

It's especially bad in bug reports, as even if a bug is solved in one case, there may still be other ways to trigger it, and sometimes it may come up again in a later update.

Fully agree.

#6 2018-06-27 15:00:54

peace

the owner should say a reason to lock it or say k no discussion eeeded /lock an dnot just a random lock

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#7 2018-06-27 17:02:42

Anak

P788 wrote:

I don't agree with "there are more times where it is useful". Can you show examples?

No bc I can't really be bothered tbh lol but imo it's just a useful feature to have, esp if you think a thread you've made is getting derailed or is no longer useful or desired and mods aren't online.

LukeM wrote:

Myst wrote:

I think only ee staff and forum staff members should be able to lock topics on Bug Reports and on Questions and Answers.

Could be solved by only allowing locking in certain areas

#8 2018-06-27 17:37:02

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Recently I've seen this ability being used in a rather annoying manner (some bug report topics, Q&A topic)
But isn't the ability to lock own topic a holy right of the topic creator?
Prior to implementation of this feature, OP could report their own thread and it would get locked away anyways
What's the admin's (off topic: how do you say "admin” in possessive and plural form? Admins's? Or any other noun for that case. Hummerz5 help pls) stance on this? Should the OPs be able to lock their topics whatever the reason?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#9 2018-06-27 18:41:22, last edited by Ratburntro44 (2018-06-27 22:44:48)

Ratburntro44
Website

TaskManager wrote:

But isn't the ability to lock own topic a holy right of the topic creator?

why? it shouldn't be. in most cases there's really no reason the creator should have control over the topic itself

being able to do it by reporting was also dumb

in most cases with a valid reason to lock, the reason would exist regardless of the topic creator's wants (and thus, should be done by report, by anybody)

edit: the problem also being present in that, even when the feature didn't exist, admmods were too willing to lock any topic requested by its creator

Wooted by:

#10 2018-06-27 21:07:24

LukeM
Website

Why was it changed from reporting your own topic to being able to close it yourself? I'd say that there are few enough cases that locking the topic is the correct thing to do that the forum staff could handle it fairly easily, and then there could be more enforcable conditions on when topics should and shouldn't be locked, such as only if it has gone seriously off topic or whatever, or if its a spam topic.

TaskManager wrote:

(off topic: how do you say "admin” in possessive and plural form? Admins's? Or any other noun for that case. Hummerz5 help pls)

Admin's is possessive, Admins is plural, and Admins' is both.

#11 2018-06-27 23:29:54

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

LukeM wrote:

Admin's is possessive, Admins is plural, and Admins' is both.

THANKYOU

LukeM wrote:

Why was it changed from reporting your own topic to being able to close it yourself? I'd say that there are few enough cases that locking the topic is the correct thing to do that the forum staff could handle it fairly easily, and then there could be more enforcable conditions on when topics should and shouldn't be locked, such as only if it has gone seriously off topic or whatever, or if its a spam topic.

well if its going to be removed then keep it for forum games at least pls (mafia)

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:
TaskManager1530138594711643

Board footer