Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 14:26:12, last edited by Raphe9000 (2018-06-26 21:38:56)

Raphe9000

Color Expansions

After the sci-fi color pack color expansion, I started thinking on other packs that could use an extended palette. Many great blocks have very limited color schemes, making them only useful in a few areas despite their attractiveness. After the black and white colors were added to the basic packs, the same wasn't done for other packs. This means there are a lot less black, white, and even gray blocks where they would fit so easily. The thing is that adding a new color is pretty easy. Because of that, I just created added a few new colors to blocks I felt needed them to see what people think.

Blocks
Backgrounds

I also thought the Autumn Background Pack would work better as the Leaf Pack with more types of leaves:
tMOVJ3e.png
And I noticed many basic colors in EE backgrounds are very dull. Yellows look kind of green without much saturation, oranges don't stand out very well and look brown, reds are a bit too magenta for my taste, and other colors just don't always go very well with the more saturated blocks and backgrounds. Because of that I thought a Vibrant Background Pack would be nice:
ExDGtSO.png

I made an alternate carpet for Peace too that I actually like:

I tried to make everything fit with its general theme and have versatility, but I've not done this stuff before. Just thought I'd throw these out here in a time they seem to be under discussion a bit more.

Because of confusion, I wish to clarify that this is not about adding NEW colors, it's about adding preexisting colors to blocks that don't have them with liberties taken between packs.

#2 2018-06-26 16:57:36, last edited by MWstudios (2018-06-26 16:57:56)

MWstudios

Re: Color Expansions

https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=39737

TOOP wrote:

JhyfGhE.png
Extensions - A second block color extension update was planned for summer 2016, but it was cut because the colorful packs were already very large. The color extensions were all cut except for white.

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2018-06-26 17:31:12, last edited by Raphe9000 (2018-06-26 17:32:03)

Raphe9000

MWstudios wrote:

https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=39737

TOOP wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/JhyfGhE.png
Extensions - A second block color extension update was planned for summer 2016, but it was cut because the colorful packs were already very large. The color extensions were all cut except for white.

Hence the reason I only opted to expand packs that hadn't certain colors that would add to the game instead of adding brand new colors like that update wanted. As you can see, I hadn't edited one of those packs nor had I added any of the colors mentioned to be cut. I only added colors already featured in the game to these packs or one off colors that made the pack unique and followed its own theme. I also excluded colors from packs that didn't need them. Marble is featured as white, sometimes with colored tints. Adding a cyan, black, gray, or orange color wasn't needed because yellow and blue could substitute orange and cyan, and gray and black would go against the theme. A gray vibrant background or a black, white, or grey neon background made no sense with the context of the pack (or in general), so they too were excluded. With space, I only added colors that could be used in multiple scenarios and as substitutions I had not added. With leaves, I added green because a leaf pack with red leaves shouldn't clash with a leaf pack with green leaves, pinkish white to be used for snowy or cherry blossom trees, and brown because it kept with the original theme.

I'm tempted to believe you didn't actually read the post or look at any of its contents.

#4 2018-06-26 17:33:28

Joeyc

the extension to the Autumn backrounds looks amazing tbh

#5 2018-06-26 17:37:07

Raphe9000

Joeyc wrote:

the extension to the Autumn backrounds looks amazing tbh

I always loved the autumn pack, but it is limited by being only autumn. With that, using autumn pack leaves along with any green leaves makes them clash, as they are essentially the same thing but with different artstyles. Brown actually keeps with the theme, and the pink-white was me deciding to merge my ideas of snowy leaves and pink cherry blossoms into one to save space.

#6 2018-06-26 18:38:20

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

qU9IRqn.jpg

Hmm...

#7 2018-06-26 18:51:44, last edited by Raphe9000 (2018-06-26 19:13:38)

Raphe9000

I didn't even know a gray mineral was planned, and I don't think it should have been cut.

Edit: I updated the original post with a touched up version of RPGMaster's design.

#8 2018-06-26 19:13:03

Guest.

mineral and cave are good but everything else isn’t a color package (minus neon, but i feel like that doesn’t need any more)

#9 2018-06-26 19:21:56

peace

Raphe9000 wrote:

After the sci-fi color pack color expansion, I started thinking on other packs that could use an extended palette. Many great blocks have very limited color schemes, making them only useful in a few areas despite their attractiveness. After the black and white colors were added to the basic packs, the same wasn't done for other packs. This means there are a lot less black, white, and even gray blocks where they would fit so easily. The thing is that adding a new color is pretty easy. Because of that, I just created added a few new colors to blocks I felt needed them to see what people think.

I also thought the Autumn Background Pack would work better as the Leaf Pack with more types of leaves:
https://i.imgur.com/tMOVJ3e.png
And I noticed many basic colors in EE backgrounds are very dull. Yellows look kind of green without much saturation, oranges don't stand out very well and look brown, reds are a bit too magenta for my taste, and other colors just don't always go very well with the more saturated blocks and backgrounds. Because of that I thought a Vibrant Background Pack would be nice:
https://i.imgur.com/ExDGtSO.png

I tried to make everything fit with its general theme and have versatility, but I've not done this stuff before. Just thought I'd throw these out here in a time they seem to be under discussion a bit more.

Because of confusion, I wish to clarify that this is not about adding NEW colors, it's about adding preexisting colors to blocks that don't have them with liberties taken between packs.

space orange is very nice carpet is missing that kind of goldish yellow (mor liek a mixture of space sand and yelow sand block thrown into crapet style

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#10 2018-06-26 19:27:11, last edited by Raphe9000 (2018-06-26 19:31:39)

Raphe9000

Jet wrote:

mineral and cave are good but everything else isn’t a color package (minus neon, but i feel like that doesn’t need any more)

Well, the intention here was to just give things that weren't color packages (but ended up becoming important ones in the game) more colors and giving certain blocks that already had a few colors more to make them feel complete instead of just half done. The carpet, for example, is perfectly capable of being a really good color package, but its limitation of just 3 colors means it can only be used in certain scenarios (even in which it is highly used). The Marble and space pack additions just give them more versatility for what their use was intended to be. The marble pack lets you create nice, marble buildings with an ancient or official aesthetic to it, but it also is a very attractive pack with an odd and limited assortment of colors. Adding more colors allows it to be used in ways that promote its original purpose and go beyond it. The space pack is the one I care for the least, but it is a futuristic pack that gives us metal panels in 4 bright colors to use in space assorted things. This actually limits its potential, so adding more colors that still fit the general theme (a peachy orange and bright purple) gives it a lot more uses. With autumn leaves, that is just to promote consistency by adding colors that would improve it tenfold and, in my opinion, should have been added to the game from the beginning. With neon, I don't truly care about neon pink much, but it is one of the most popular neon colors we somehow got purple over. I chose what packs to expand carefully. Plastic was an option I considered, but it is a bright and vibrant pack that is meant to look artificial. I didn't feel that could be replicated with black, white, and gray. That's also the reason I excluded gray from the suggested vibrant pack and the neon pack (you can't really intensify it). Pipes have enough blocks and would not be used enough even with their extra colors, stone doesn't need to be much more than natural, the temple pack didn't need more than one color, the present pack wouldn't be used, and all the basic packs have enough colors (and are kinda why this thread exists). I agree with you about the fact they aren't color packs, but I don't think that is a reason to exclude otherwise needed color from these few.

Peace wrote:

space orange is very nice carpet is missing that kind of goldish yellow (mor liek a mixture of space sand and yelow sand block thrown into crapet style

Well, I added orange and yellow, so I wanted to separate them. Here is a version you may like: Oono2Fn.png

#11 2018-06-26 20:57:16

peace

Raphe9000 wrote:

enough colors (and are kinda why this thread exists). I agree with you about the fact they aren't color packs, but I don't think that is a reason to exclude otherwise needed color from these few.

Peace wrote:

Well, I added orange and yellow, so I wanted to separate them. Here is a version you may like: https://i.imgur.com/Oono2Fn.png

yeha i was goign to do on eby myself btu onc ei placed the blue carpet to rebuild it an dzoomed in i was like nop ei igve up xD

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#12 2018-06-26 21:56:40

Nebula

You forget to credit me for yellow domestic brick

#13 2018-06-26 22:07:39

Raphe9000

Subzero wrote:

You forget to credit me for yellow domestic brick

I didn't use anything of yours unless you made the whole domestic pack...

Raphe90001530047259711468

Board footer