Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-14 16:37:10, last edited by mutantdevle (2018-05-15 16:19:51)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Enter world portals using C instead of Y.

It kinda just makes sense now that C is labelled as the 'interact' button.
Nvm, see Kirby's response.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#2 2018-05-14 16:41:30

peace

Re: Enter world portals using C instead of Y.

mutantdevle wrote:

It kinda just makes sense now that C is labelled as the 'interact' button.

if gona chnaeg then do reset too

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#3 2018-05-14 18:16:08

PTU
Formerly Pipec

Actually, this makes sense //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png

UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2018-05-14 20:36:32, last edited by HeyNK (2018-05-14 20:36:43)

HeyNK

do you even know how much programming the staff would have to do to do this? maybe think about it before you make this kind of suggestion, not to mention the lag it would cause

Wooted by:

#5 2018-05-14 20:39:41

some woman

HeyNK wrote:

do you even know how much programming the staff would have to do to do this? maybe think about it before you make this kind of suggestion, not to mention the lag it would cause

Not sure if this is Muftwin-style trolling or genuine panic ?

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#6 2018-05-14 21:13:54

peace

HeyNK wrote:

chan y i the code in c

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#7 2018-05-14 22:06:58

Raphe9000

But NPCs can be interacted with at a range, so you could accidentally talk to an NPC instead of triggering a world portal or reset button or, worse, vice versa. It should stay how it is.

Wooted by: (3)

#8 2018-05-14 22:09:35, last edited by some woman (2018-05-14 22:09:52)

some woman

Raphe9000 wrote:

But NPCs can be interacted with at a range, so you could accidentally talk to an NPC instead of triggering a world portal or reset button or, worse, vice versa. It should stay how it is.

Then maybe entering a world portal would require holding down C for a second or two, longer than one quick press.

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#9 2018-05-14 22:16:46

Raphe9000

some man wrote:
Raphe9000 wrote:

Then maybe entering a world portal would require holding down C for a second or two, longer than one quick press.

Oh, and we should also make it where you need to hold down c to say "r e s e t" in morse code when trying to reset while we're at it!
It also still doesn't fix the first problem and just wastes time.

#10 2018-05-14 22:23:25

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:

Accidently talking to an NPC to when entering a world portal or resetting has no negative effects. As for accidentally going into a world portal/resetting when trying to talk to an NPC, this would only happen if they were next to each other since you have to be touching the blocks to activate them.

By your logic, resetting and entering a world portal should be 2 different buttons. Otherwise, you might accidentally enter a world portal when trying to rest :O

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#11 2018-05-14 22:33:49

Raphe9000

mutantdevle wrote:

Accidently talking to an NPC to when entering a world portal or resetting has no negative effects. As for accidentally going into a world portal/resetting when trying to talk to an NPC, this would only happen if they were next to each other since you have to be touching the blocks to activate them.

It's just an annoying timewaster that will make people think, "Why did they make these one button?", especially if you naturally hold buttons for longer and reset while trynna talk to an NPC.
And you'd only have to be in a portal/reset block because you can talk to NPCs at a distance.

mutantdevle wrote:

By your logic, resetting and entering a world portal should be 2 different buttons. Otherwise, you might accidentally enter a world portal when trying to rest :O

But you have to be majority in one of those blocks to do so, negating said problem. You can't reset at a range...

#12 2018-05-15 05:08:17

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

It's just an annoying timewaster that will make people think, "Why did they make these one button?", especially if you naturally hold buttons for longer and reset while trynna talk to an NPC.
And you'd only have to be in a portal/reset block because you can talk to NPCs at a distance.

mutantdevle wrote:

But you have to be majority in one of those blocks to do so, negating said problem. You can't reset at a range...

I'd argue that making the game more concise and consistent isn't an annoying time waster. I don't see how anyone could be annoyed by this change. If the programmers are really so annoyed by changing a single character in the code then maybe programming isn't the best field for them.

Also, it really doesn't take much brain power for someone to think "hmm, maybe I shouldn't try to talk to the NPC whilst on a reset block/world portal." I doubt there will be many cases when these blocks would be next to each other anyway. Only in extremely rare cases in world with, in my opinion, poor level design would this occur.

The positive of this change is that the game is slightly more consistent whereas the only negative is highly conditional on a fool accidentally pressing a key when another fool has placed 2 specific action blocks next to each other. Worth it IMO.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#13 2018-05-15 06:00:35

Kirby

mutantdevle wrote:
Raphe9000 wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

mutantdevle wrote:

I'd argue that making the game more concise and consistent isn't an annoying time waster. I don't see how anyone could be annoyed by this change. If the programmers are really so annoyed by changing a single character in the code then maybe programming isn't the best field for them.

Also, it really doesn't take much brain power for someone to think "hmm, maybe I shouldn't try to talk to the NPC whilst on a reset block/world portal." I doubt there will be many cases when these blocks would be next to each other anyway. Only in extremely rare cases in world with, in my opinion, poor level design would this occur.

The positive of this change is that the game is slightly more consistent whereas the only negative is highly conditional on a fool accidentally pressing a key when another fool has placed 2 specific action blocks next to each other. Worth it IMO.

With world portals and reset blocks, people lose all of the progress that they have in that current world, so it's mapped to a button that they have to go out of their way to press.

For NPC's, it's a useful tool for building that users may interact multiple times with in each level, so it's a convenient button

nopls

#14 2018-05-15 10:55:23

Raphe9000

mutantdevle wrote:

It's a time waster for the player.

mutantdevle wrote:

What you're saying is: "People should just deal with the inconvenience and change their levels because I want to change something already established."

mutantdevle wrote:

Two interact buttons are okay because one is technical while the other is general. Also, that 'fool' would be a new player the game needs still figuring out stuff. Do we want to make the game more complicated for them and therefore harder to figure out? At least both interacts are upfront about what they're for.

#15 2018-05-15 14:25:30

Bluecloud

Guys the Admins have said multiple times on other topics similar to this they used Y because it was so far away from the arrow keys and the WASD so you wouldn't accidentally press it.
They also said they used C as an easy button to press to interact with NPCs.

goodbye ee, i'll miss you

#16 2018-05-15 18:46:59

azurepudding

Wait what

But you have to be ON a world portal or reset block and press Y for it to work.  NPCs with C, you just have to be near them, right?  So if they were both C, pressing C wouldn't trigger a reset or world portal warp unless you were directly in its tile.  Also C is kinda inconvenient to reach as is so I doubt there'd be accidental presses.  Back when space bar activated world portals, I don't recall any complaints back then either..

Azure2.png

Wooted by: (2)
azurepudding1526406419706541

Board footer