Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-02 11:11:10, last edited by MartenM (2018-04-02 11:11:46)

MartenM
Website

Re: Some news from ByteArray about the reboot

Knowing this community, there is probably be someone that creates a tool (using Atillas' world database) that will somewhat allow transfers of worlds if we 'lose' them.
And if not, welp.

I can't really be bother with losing words since it would be for the good of the game. No reason to have worlds if nobody plays them anyway.
What I do not want to lose though, is my account in general. I would really like to see just the basic account information transferred (name, email, register date) and maybe some 'legacy' tag to it to show other people that you supported the game on the old platform.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#27 2018-04-02 11:11:22, last edited by LukeM (2018-04-02 11:14:34)

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

Do you understand that the reboot is complete overhaul of the game? This won't be the same thing as UnitEE where they just copied all the code from the current ee to a new one.
Reboot will be entirely different game. different physics, different features. We won't just import all the stuff from the previous game to the new one.

Kira wrote:

The community agreed to a reboot only if our hard work was transferred.

This might be not even possible to do. If most of the blocks are gone and physics are different - worlds would be broken.

The Reboot won't replace current EE. It will be a different game with it's own rules. EE will stay the same (but, probably, without updates).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I assumed it would be a stripped down version of the current EE (without a lot of the decorative blocks, possibly a few different action blocks, etc), and with slightly different physics as the current quirks would be fixed, to allow for easier updating. I understand that the code won't be copied (thats a good thing, as long as you have the ability (and intention) to rewrite code that functions similar to the current game), but I still think you should try to keep it as true to the current EE as possible.

If you however mean that it will have completely different physics and completely different action blocks, then I would really advise against this, this would make it seem more like a game thats trying to be what EE was and failing, which I don't think would be a good idea, for the new game's success as well as the current community. We want a rebooted EE, not a replacement for EE.

#28 2018-04-02 11:19:50

Gosha

(just a side note) I am speaking as a community member here, I don't present the views of the staff, this is purely my vision of the reboot.

MartenM wrote:

I would really like to see just the basic account information transferred (name, email, register date) and maybe some 'legacy' tag to it to show other people that you supported the game on the old platform.

I agree to this.

LukeM wrote:

If you however mean that it will have completely different physics and completely different action blocks, then I would really advise against this

I think we need to start fresh and keep only few action blocks (arrows, boosts, coins, keys, etc). For example, the orange switches are broken at the moment and you can't do a lot of things with them, so they must be recreated, but not imported.

#29 2018-04-02 11:21:34

Raphe9000

I'll be honest, I don't give a flying **** about worlds. I just want my Fanboy I to stay.

#30 2018-04-02 11:28:05, last edited by LukeM (2018-04-02 11:36:35)

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:
LukeM wrote:

If you however mean that it will have completely different physics and completely different action blocks, then I would really advise against this

I think we need to start fresh and keep only few action blocks (arrows, boosts, coins, keys, etc). For example, the orange switches are broken at the moment and you can't do a lot of things with them, so they must be recreated, but not imported.

I agree completely about rewriting everything, IMO it would be a terrible idea to just directly import the previous blocks and code. We have an opportunity to begin development from the start, with a good idea of what will need to be supported in the future, so you can plan ahead to ensure that future features will be supported directly, instead of being patched on top of existing code using hacky fixes to make it work together.

As long as the new game has at least the majority of EE's current non-graphical features (or replacements for them) at some point in the future, and the physics changes are small enough that it still feels like EE, ill be happy //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by: (2)

#31 2018-04-02 11:39:41

peace

Gosha wrote:

Do you understand that the reboot is complete overhaul of the game? This won't be the same thing as UnitEE where they just copied all the code from the current ee to a new one.
Reboot will be entirely different game. different physics, different features. We won't just import all the stuff from the previous game to the new one.

Kira wrote:

This might be not even possible to do. If most of the blocks are gone and physics are different - worlds would be broken.

The Reboot won't replace current EE. It will be a different game with it's own rules. EE will stay the same (but, probably, without updates).

just cary over the world it doesnt matte rthatthey ar ebroken just that they are tehre think of th eveteran players like me who got anempty claaisc tab

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#32 2018-04-02 15:33:48

John

A fresh start is the only smart decision honestly. Megalamb, others and I were planning this out a few months ago and decided upon username reservations for the first few months and some compensation for items and a classic smiley. There was more stuff but I can't seem to find the file...

PW?scale=2

Wooted by: (4)

#33 2018-04-02 18:34:39, last edited by shadowda (2018-04-02 18:41:37)

shadowda

what is even the point of this? is a reboot even a good idea?

i don't know about you, but the idea of a new game, with different blocks, potentially lacking in any of the work us users put into ee, sounds like crap.

reboots suck. i dont want ee to be restarted new. a different game with the same name.

i can understand remaking it with out playerio but why does that mean we cant have the same blocks, or similar physics.

or maybe we all just have to jump ship, abandon everything, venture to a new game, and hope its just as fun. if that be the case they had better have switches and that score switch thing.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#34 2018-04-02 18:41:15

Gosha

shadowda wrote:

why does that mean we cant have the same blocks, or similar physics.

And why would we need that? A fresh start gives us an opportunity to start from the basics and go from there.
Maybe you haven't notice but current ee's physics suck a big one, especially in code.
Most of ee blocks are useless. Hell, we have almost 1000 blocks in the game. More blocks don't increase player's creativity (more like otherwise, look how well-done are old worlds), it only makes it worse by overwhelming people with a choice from hundreds of blocks.

#35 2018-04-02 18:44:57, last edited by shadowda (2018-04-02 18:54:46)

shadowda

Gosha wrote:
shadowda wrote:

And why would we need that? A fresh start gives us an opportunity to start from the basics and go from there.
Maybe you haven't notice but current ee's physics suck a big one, especially in code.
Most of ee blocks are useless. Hell, we have almost 1000 blocks in the game. More blocks don't increase player's creativity (more like otherwise, look how well-done are old worlds), it only makes it worse by overwhelming people with a choice from hundreds of blocks.

I only ask for the blocks and physics as something needed for the worlds we have build. i do agree most of ee blocks are useless.

I suppose all the worlds could be made of a few basic block types.

and what are "the basics" i hope you don't mean the packs. the open worlds with limited packs was the worst. ee or any game needs anything but basics. it needs more ways to be creative. and i don't mean more boring pacts. as i do agree with you.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#36 2018-04-02 19:35:52

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:
shadowda wrote:

So just to clarify, you're saying that the remake will (or at least you think it will) have completely different physics, as in not even trying to stay close to the old physics?

#37 2018-04-02 19:45:25

Gosha

LukeM wrote:
Gosha wrote:
shadowda wrote:

So just to clarify, you're saying that the remake will (or at least you think it will) have completely different physics, as in not even trying to stay close to the old physics?

Of course it will be close to the current physics. In my eejs remake I made them "close" to ee physics. Only visually. The code is completely different.

#38 2018-04-02 19:58:24

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Gosha wrote:
LukeM wrote:
Gosha wrote:
shadowda wrote:

Of course it will be close to the current physics. In my eejs remake I made them "close" to ee physics. Only visually. The code is completely different.

your eejs physics make me puke
are you guys going to rewrite the physics engine from scratch?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#39 2018-04-02 20:55:39

Joeyc

Gosha wrote:

Kira wrote:

oh no my home world //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad:(:(

Wooted by:

#40 2018-04-02 21:01:52

Anak

Before I left EE a few years ago, I took screenshots of all my worlds and then deleted them. Now even though all my worlds are empty, I can still remake them with the screenshots that I pieced together. There's probably an easier way to do that with a bot or something, but granted the reboot is a different engine with a completely new remake, that might not be possible.

I recommend people take their content into their own hands and make their own backups in advance. Obviously the reboot won't be happening for a while, but considering we have a headwind, there's no better time than now.

#41 2018-04-02 21:16:19

Raphe9000

Worlds can be remade, and we have too many horrible blocks. In this game, personality is reflected a lot through smileys and crews. Just keep those from the old game, and a reboot is good. If not, it's not remotely the same game. It seems simple to me. Like I said earlier in an admittedly unclear way, let us keep smileys like fanboys, contest smileys, supermen, artists, and a few of the good ones via a transfer system, and just allow crew names & members to be transferred. Then, I don't really see anything wrong with a reboot.

#42 2018-04-02 21:17:07

Enurp
Formerly ThuggishPrune

Kira wrote:

Unacceptable.

The community agreed to a reboot only if our hard work was transferred. Thousands of hours into dust? The impact would be greater than you think.

I'm part of the community and never thought a reboot would be a bad idea. Why are you speaking for everyone?

Wooted by: (2)

#43 2018-04-02 21:19:18

Raphe9000

ThuggishPrune wrote:

I'm part of the community and never thought a reboot would be a bad idea. Why are you speaking for everyone?

But you're not the community.

#44 2018-04-02 22:05:22

Different55
Forum Admin

Raphe9000 wrote:
ThuggishPrune wrote:

Which is why he's not trying to speak for the community.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#45 2018-04-02 22:28:07

Kentiya
Website

Anak wrote:

Before I left EE a few years ago, I took screenshots of all my worlds and then deleted them. Now even though all my worlds are empty, I can still remake them with the screenshots that I pieced together. There's probably an easier way to do that with a bot or something, but granted the reboot is a different engine with a completely new remake, that might not be possible.

I recommend people take their content into their own hands and make their own backups in advance. Obviously the reboot won't be happening for a while, but considering we have a headwind, there's no better time than now.

I don't know how easy it would be, but I would like for there to be a version of Flash EE that runs offline even after the server is down, so people can still play this old version with all the worlds. That would also help anyone wanting to transfer their world to the rEEboot.

kentiya-cartoony-120.png
Kentiya / Atikyne — EE & EEU lead artist 2018-2020

#46 2018-04-02 22:32:41

shadowda

Kentiya wrote:
Anak wrote:

I don't know how easy it would be, but I would like for there to be a version of Flash EE that runs offline even after the server is down, so people can still play this old version with all the worlds. That would also help anyone wanting to transfer their world to the rEEboot.

with everyones worlds or just ones own?

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#47 2018-04-02 23:01:53

Kikikan

Glaauber wrote:

They will abandon us and focus on another game (a little different) thus forgetting those fans who stayed those 8 years together with you and maybe the next 3-5 years. For me, this is not only unacceptable but bad for everyone.

The hardcore fans would appreciate that they got a "sequel" to their favourite game imo.

Wooted by:

#48 2018-04-02 23:53:24

Anak

Kentiya wrote:
Anak wrote:

Yeah I had that idea in mind as well. It would make transferring things a lot easier (especially if starting from scratch someone can just pull up their old profile and be like "hey I had all this stuff" and they can get it back if that's a thing that'll happen).

shadowda wrote:

If it were offline then assumably just your own

#49 2018-04-03 00:23:20

Kentiya
Website

shadowda wrote:
Kentiya wrote:
Anak wrote:

It would be nice if there was like a download of all the worlds, but that might be technically challenging to make work.

kentiya-cartoony-120.png
Kentiya / Atikyne — EE & EEU lead artist 2018-2020

#50 2018-04-03 01:17:01

Raphe9000

Different55 wrote:
Raphe9000 wrote:
ThuggishPrune wrote:

Which is why he's not trying to speak for the community.

But Kira isn't wrong because ThuggishPrune disagrees. His point is also 100% invalid because everyone =/= community as a community's decisions are based on votes or a consensus.

Wooted by:
den31071522853666701610

Board footer