Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-05-06 02:15:06

Joeyc

Re: Best ways to solve gun violence in the US

just literally make guns illegal in the us

#52 2018-05-06 02:43:39

Guest.

Joeyc wrote:

sadly it’s not that simple

#53 2018-05-06 07:44:15

soniiiety

Jet wrote:
Joeyc wrote:

sadly it’s not that simple

it is because you are ignoring somthing that gives you help, you wont get what youi exactly want, but its better than nothing.

#54 2018-05-06 09:00:44, last edited by Luka504 (2018-05-06 09:04:18)

Luka504

While Japan's gun policies are very, VERY effective in Japan, I have my doubts that it will work as well in America. In fact, I believe that it might make the situation in the US worse.

To start this off, legal and free gun ownership is in the constitution. If you just suddenly flipped the switch and made guns almost impossible to get and keep, it is certainly gonna start some sort of civil war/rebellion. It also has the potential to spark even more violence and more mass shootings because you are violating the rights of Americans.

And even if you somehow dodge such a rebellion, you are going to see people finding alternate ways to get guns. Aka the black market. Why would you bother going through all the paperwork of owning a gun (which was purposefully designed to be inconvenient) when you can just get them on the black market quickly and easily? Now you could argue that ''If people just rush to the black market to get guns then why isn't Japan experiencing this?'', and yes while that is true, you need to remember that America and Japan are radically different. Americans love their right to own guns a lot more than the Japanese do, and as such will get the guns in the most convenient way possible.

But ok, let's say that the only way to acquire new guns is the legal way. People for some reason just can't get guns via illegal means. What will you do about all the people who already have guns? There's as many guns in the US as there are people, so good **** luck confiscating them all. Australia's gun confiscation plan only confiscated 16% of all guns in Australia, and while that is a good number, it is almost insignificant since there are still a lot of guns there. In the absolute best case scenario (Which is very unlikely to happen), gun confiscation would maybe confiscate a grand total of 48 million guns out of 300 million guns in circulation. And if you don't ban all guns, you might as well not ban any of them.

And even if we somehow confiscate every gun and somehow stop people from getting it illegally, this system still has no guarantee to stop some shooters from getting guns. If someone who is sociopathic wants to get a gun, he can pass the evaluation easily because the literal definition of a sociopath is someone who knows how to act normal and lie to achieve whatever he desires, regardless of whether or not what he is doing is moral.
Now, to be fair, if we do get to this point where you can only get guns legally, then the scenario I described is going to be rather rare, however this is just more of an indication that gun control will never reach 100% adoption.

TL;DR - Japan is way different than the US. Their laws won't work there.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#55 2018-05-06 09:44:26

LukeM
Website

You forget that not all shootings are curried out by skilled criminals, so some people may not even know where to go to buy them. And that around 50% of Americans agree that there should be stricter gun control laws, so would probably cooperate with any measures put in place. Sure, you are never going to get rid of all illegal guns, but it surely can't hurt. Even if only 10% of gun deaths are prevented, that's still a huge number, there have been nearly 40 gun deaths per day since the start of 2018.

#56 2018-05-06 10:13:59

Luka504

I definitely agree with that, however there is always concern that this will either not change anything or make things worse. If it was guaranteed to work properly and reduce innocent deaths from guns, then I would agree that the US needs gun laws, but so far I'm really skeptical of it.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Luka5041525598039705450

Board footer