Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

Advertisement

Hello, visitor! These forums are run off of the revenue generated from these ads. If you'd like to support us, please whitelist us or consider donating:

#1 2017-12-07 16:52:46

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,673
Website

Retype smileys

TAnjOLm.png

Make it able to chose a retype for every smiley. Gold + Hologram + Silver for e.g. cCZfFNW.png the fanboy smiley. Please note that some smiley have been skipped cause reason and some reasons are stupid, but i am to lazy to fill the missings. So just look at it, ath the idea, don't judge smileys, especially the border of the gold smileys.

You like Idea? PS. You need to zoom in the image, because it is the EE smiley tab scaled to 4 times thicker.

Offline

#2 2017-12-07 18:02:03

Gosha
Member
From: Russia
Joined: 2015-03-15
Posts: 4,765

Re: Retype smileys

>post in suggestions
> "don't judge smileys"


1) holes are not acceptable. No excuses.
2) for each smiley create 3 copies with filters
3) useless tbh
4) takes a lot of space

Online

Wooted by:

#3 2017-12-07 18:16:32

peace
Formerly peace men
From: the netherlands
Joined: 2015-08-10
Posts: 805

Re: Retype smileys

i like the idea where you can set the holo/diamond smiley to a smiley you own maby also for gold


1HIqRW7.png MYaIIs9.png
ty anatoly and blueclued

Offline

Wooted by:

HG

#4 2017-12-07 21:06:04

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: Retype smileys

Gosha wrote:

>post in suggestions
> "don't judge smileys"


1) holes are not acceptable. No excuses.
2) for each smiley create 3 copies with filters
3) useless tbh
4) takes a lot of space

Read all please.

1) “but i am to lazy to fill the missings.
2) That’s how EE Items were made
3) Forum could be white blank with one theme. Themes are also useless, but as some like themes some might love smiley retypes.
4) That’s the only real problem of all 4 points. Gratulation! 25% of the post is useful.

So please don’t post if you don’t like it.

Offline

Wooted by:

HG

#5 2017-12-07 21:43:46

azurepudding
Member
Joined: 2016-11-18
Posts: 79

Re: Retype smileys

Gosha wrote:

>post in suggestions
> "don't judge smileys"


1) holes are not acceptable. No excuses.
2) for each smiley create 3 copies with filters
3) useless tbh
4) takes a lot of space

it's the suggestion that counts.  Sprites are just extra.  This would've been just the same suggestion if they didn't put the time into making these edited sprites.. anyway

It'd be cool to use some of my favorite smileys in gold version, as well as the hologram variants.  I never did like that there was only one hologram smiley, of the default one.  Is this silver type suppose to be from the diamond block?  They'd need to be more shiny, but I agree with that idea too.

Offline

Wooted by:

#6 2017-12-07 21:59:46

some man
Member
From: New England
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 8,815

Re: Retype smileys

Maybe instead of all the smileys being manually sprited, there could be some visual filters built into the game that the smileys would be processed through.
E.G. diamond filter renders everything in grayscale, gold filter increases the contrast.

Last edited by some man (2017-12-07 22:00:01)


Thanks Zoey!
L4T3R7Z.png

Offline

#7 2017-12-08 02:17:23

azurepudding
Member
Joined: 2016-11-18
Posts: 79

Re: Retype smileys

some man wrote:

Maybe instead of all the smileys being manually sprited, there could be some visual filters built into the game that the smileys would be processed through.
E.G. diamond filter renders everything in grayscale, gold filter increases the contrast.

this will likely result in some very ugly smileys tho

it would take some time but is very doable.  Filters is the lazy, less visually appealing way.

Offline

Wooted by:

#8 2017-12-08 06:59:42

Blackmask
Member
From: France
Joined: 2016-06-27
Posts: 150

Re: Retype smileys

Useless.

Offline

Wooted by:

#9 2017-12-08 14:31:00

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: Retype smileys

Blackmask wrote:

Useless.

Again. Forum Themes, PMs, anonymous woots (suggest by someone), locking your own threads. There is a difference between useless and bad and useless and worth. EE is also useless, as all computer games won’t help you in live. But these one word is more useless!

Offline

#10 2017-12-08 15:02:00

HG
Member
From: null
Joined: 2017-08-16
Posts: 1,560

Re: Retype smileys

People always look for technical reasons for a suggestion to not be able to be incorporated, rather than to just focus on the idea itself.

Who cares about space? They can be compressed to a very low weight while keeping the same quality, just like every other sprite in the game. Check out this amazing image compressor if you think it's impossible.

Who cares about holes? They can be made later. What matters here is the suggestion, not whether there are missing smileys or not. Assuming this suggestion only has 1 hole, would you deny it or just make the missing smiley? Any smart person would pick latter.

Who cares about the important uses that could be given to this? If you're not going to use it that doesn't mean that none will use it, so there's no reason for you to whine about it being "useless" only because it is for you. Even if almost none uses it, it's still a cool thing to have around. Stop treating your single opinions that are absolutely nothing more and nothing less than that, a single opinion; like facts, because you don't talk for everyone.

Offline

#11 2017-12-08 16:16:01

Gosha
Member
From: Russia
Joined: 2015-03-15
Posts: 4,765

Re: Retype smileys

HG wrote:

People always look for technical reasons for a suggestion to not be able to be incorporated, rather than to just focus on the idea itself.

I focus on the discussion why this should and should not be implemented. Technical issues will come anyway. It's better to speak about them right away.

HG wrote:

Who cares about space?

I do care. Clients already weight 9 MB. Comression won't work as expected because it copresses images, but not pixel art where every pixel is important.

HG wrote:

Who cares about the important uses that could be given to this? If you're not going to use it that doesn't mean that none will use it, so there's no reason for you to whine about it being "useless" only because it is for you. Even if almost none uses it, it's still a cool thing to have around.

this would work for a specific feature people want. But this just adds A LOT (x2 times more than we have now and it's already a lot)



Note that i am fine with implementing filters to the smileys. But not "hardpainting" (lol, what the word for hardcoding in graphics?) it into a single file.

Online

Wooted by:

#12 2017-12-08 16:30:48

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: Retype smileys

Gosha wrote:

I focus on the discussion why this should and should not be implemented.

lol
smile

Just saying the truth now: You don't care about any suggestion. Your discussions till now haven't been worth and the arguments till now alreays were "i want" (see? it's underlined? you can click it if you don't believe me).

Gosha wrote:

no, i would like to see [...]

Without any specific reasons – i want. EE is not yours' and won't implement your wishes. If you still can't handle this, then....

lol
smile

Offline

#13 2017-12-08 16:33:01

HG
Member
From: null
Joined: 2017-08-16
Posts: 1,560

Re: Retype smileys

Gosha wrote:

I focus on the discussion why this should and should not be implemented. Technical issues will come anyway. It's better to speak about them right away.

If we were to talk about technical issues in every single game suggestion then believe it or not we would be stuck in the 2011 client with almost no blocks because the community decided that every good feature that could be added, could bring issues to the game's performance. Technical issues are to be talked about by the staff if they decide a suggestion is good, and they'll try to find the most effective implementations.

In the case of this suggestion, Anatoly's just suggesting the idea of smiley filters, not the image. The image is simply a preview of how the smileys would look, not how they must be implemented. In-game filters could be used to achieve that instead of having to hard-code the image.

Gosha wrote:

I do care. Clients already weight 9 MB. Comression won't work as expected because it copresses images, but not pixel art where every pixel is important.

The fact you typed compression 2 times wrong makes me think you wrote this post in a hurry just to once again claim on the suggestion being bad.

Images featuring pixel art can still be compressed, even if the result is a low file size reduction. The client size right now can be reduced from 8.5 to 8.2 MB and while those 0.3 MB might be nothing for you, guys who always complain about the size, they matter for people like me, who live with an internet download speed peaked at 1 Mb/s, YET never complain about their internet speed when downloading the client.

If you have a fast internet connection and client size annoys you then try with mine. I'm patient when it's about downloading files, because I'm used to my slow speed. Meanwhile, you, with a faster speed, complain. How pathetic. I should be the one complaining, not you!

Gosha wrote:

this would work for a specific feature people want

You said it. Some people will use it. What does it mean? That the suggestion is not "useless", like you stated on your first post. You, as well as almost everyone like to treat their opinions as facts, so that everyone goes on to agree with a reply by simply wooting, rather than to give their different opinions.

If you don't like the suggestions and are not going to use it then either state what could be done better, such as a more effective implementation than image hard-coding, or just leave the topic alone, instead of coming with such arguments that help nobody and do nothing than to give you the pleasure and satisfaction that a thing you won't like won't get added only because of the former.

Last edited by HG (2017-12-08 16:45:25)

Offline

Wooted by:

#14 2017-12-08 18:14:59

Emalton
EE Admin
From: USA ̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍
Joined: 2015-06-16
Posts: 1,295

Re: Retype smileys

Cool idea, but as some man stated:

some man wrote:

Maybe instead of all the smileys being manually sprited, there could be some visual filters built into the game that the smileys would be processed through.
E.G. diamond filter renders everything in grayscale, gold filter increases the contrast.

This would only work if there were filters. No, it's not the "lazy" way out. It's the common sense way.

They should be generated just like minimap colors.


22s6Ndh.png
U08r7YL.png
Old signature by Zoey2070, Older signature by Amds
Thanks Latif Zyhrllos for the avatar and Amds Zoey2070 Zyhrllos & Anatoly for the signature!

Offline

Wooted by:

HG

#15 2017-12-08 20:28:29

skullz17
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 6,464

Re: Retype smileys

HG wrote:

stuff

How can you say that technical issues should not be discussed? I don't understand why people try to kill discussion like this. You act like it somehow blurs judgement, but that doesn't make any sense. The more variables we can consider, the better. Always look for refinement, why settle for something subpar? Another thing is, a lot of people have the idea that criticism is not good unless it suggests a way to improve. I don't know where this idea comes from, maybe people just get butthurt and would rather live inside a safespace. Well what if one person points out an issue, and another person solves it? Both parts of the discussion are valuable, and both contribute towards a positive outcome. I also think it's odd to get frustrated over an opinion being treated like a fact. In fact I'm not sure if I even know what that means. I've always assumed that it means that the person doesn't put "I think" or "In my opinion" in their sentence. I don't really get what difference it makes. And how does it make people more likely to woot instead of post?


m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Offline

Wooted by:

#16 2017-12-08 20:53:50

Kkaay
Banned
Joined: 2017-12-08
Posts: 8

Re: Retype smileys

> Posts an "IDEA" in Game Suggestions
< Asks for people not to give him criticism on a "IDEA" in the "GAME SUGGESTION" forum topic
> The main idea is to give you criticism on your idea, if you don't want it just don't post its honestly as simple as that

And yes its pretty pointless seeing how there's blocks in the game to do that
Along with the fact it removes the point of gold membership, hologram etc.
Honestly whos gonna use it, theres what 160ish smileys in the game already, you wanna times that by 4 and put a **** menu in to select a certain variant


"Yo that's her boyfriend, I should probably back off"

< Soccer has a goalie but you can still score

Offline

Wooted by:

#17 2017-12-08 21:05:08

LukeM
Formerly destroyer123
From: England
Joined: 2016-06-03
Posts: 1,383
Website

Re: Retype smileys

skullz17 wrote:
HG wrote:

stuff

How can you say that technical issues should not be discussed? I don't understand why people try to kill discussion like this. You act like it somehow blurs judgement, but that doesn't make any sense. The more variables we can consider, the better. Always look for refinement, why settle for something subpar? Another thing is, a lot of people have the idea that criticism is not good unless it suggests a way to improve. I don't know where this idea comes from, maybe people just get butthurt and would rather live inside a safespace. Well what if one person points out an issue, and another person solves it? Both parts of the discussion are valuable, and both contribute towards a positive outcome. I also think it's odd to get frustrated over an opinion being treated like a fact. In fact I'm not sure if I even know what that means. I've always assumed that it means that the person doesn't put "I think" or "In my opinion" in their sentence. I don't really get what difference it makes. And how does it make people more likely to woot instead of post?

I definately agree that some technical points definately should be discussed, but the 'big file size' argument isnt a particularly good one when its only 100 KB or so... (For comparison, the BG image on the website is around 2 MB!!!) I agree that filters should be used but only because it saves a lot of staff time, and a smiley that will only be seen very ocasionally shouldn't need to be as good as the non-filtered smileys

Last edited by LukeM (2017-12-08 21:06:02)


- Luke Miles

Offline

#18 2017-12-08 21:09:48

HG
Member
From: null
Joined: 2017-08-16
Posts: 1,560

Re: Retype smileys

skullz17 wrote:

stuff

Most of the discussions about technical issues regarding a suggestion implementation, are not about the problems, solutions and alternatives to be brought up. They are mostly about the whole suggestion being bad only because of the problem.

Technical issues are to be discussed within suggestion acceptance, as the suggestion itself isn't meant to be the direct implementation of the idea in the game, and how it must be implemented, but a preview, a vision of how the idea would look in the game, ignoring it's addition method. Staff will always be looking for the best implementations for such suggestion. Technical issues aren't a valid reason to judge suggestions because you're ignoring the concept of the idea, and going straight to the possible implementation methods, which is beyond the suggestion topic discussion range while it has no feedback.

Just like I mentioned, in Anatoly's case, the smileys he drawn are meant to be a preview of how the smileys would look in game, not how they must be implemented. Anatoly repeatedly stated that users should focus on the idea of hologram/diamond/gold based smileys, rather than the troubles that can come within it's implementation, yet people went straight to them. The technical issue about the space, pointed by Gosha, assumes that the suggestion is to hard-code the image, which clearly isn't intended to be the way to add the smileys in game. Then, come the users with their alternatives, such as image filters. Once again, they ignore that the suggestion itself isn't how to implement the smileys, but how they'd work in game. While those alternatives might be the way to go for the developers, what matters isn't the method implementation, but the suggestion.

The key question people should be talking about is: Would you actually enjoy hologram/diamond/gold based smileys?

If there is positive feedback about the suggestion, shall technical discussion be brought up then.

A perfect example of technical discussion comes from this old suggestion: Out of bounds blocks. Ignoring the technical difficulties during suggestion implementation, everyone agreed on the suggestion being a good idea. Then game developer NVD stated issues that prevented him from implementing the suggestion, as well as alternatives to play with, while another ways to implement the suggestion were looked up.

This topic is the whole opposite. People claim Anatoly's idea to be bad because of technical issues, rather than to imagine the best use they could give it and from it, state whether the idea is worth being added to the game.

Last edited by HG (2017-12-08 21:15:17)

Offline

#19 2017-12-08 21:17:13

Kkaay
Banned
Joined: 2017-12-08
Posts: 8

Re: Retype smileys

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever since you NEED the technical to even state if it would be enjoyable in the game, Why have the idea when you know from day one it wont be added, Sure you might think oh what a cool concept but if its not technically able to go into the game that's the main focus point,

Nobody cares what some old forum post says and how they did it, everyone is telling you that you NEED to address the technical issues of it, seeing how that's just a main focus point when suggesting something to the game, sure it can be enjoyable, sure we can all agree on it but that doesn't mean "Ohohoh save the technical till last"

Its honestly a joke at this point since you know its **** impossible for this idea to be considered


"Yo that's her boyfriend, I should probably back off"

< Soccer has a goalie but you can still score

Offline

#20 2017-12-08 21:19:26

LukeM
Formerly destroyer123
From: England
Joined: 2016-06-03
Posts: 1,383
Website

Re: Retype smileys

Kkaay wrote:

Its honestly a joke at this point since you know its **** impossible for this idea to be considered

Why? Its definately possible (unless Ive missed something), especially if filters are used...

Last edited by LukeM (2017-12-08 21:21:06)


- Luke Miles

Offline

Wooted by:

#21 2017-12-08 21:29:00

Kkaay
Banned
Joined: 2017-12-08
Posts: 8

Re: Retype smileys

Possible as in literally they can add it into the game, sure

Possible as a good function in the game no

Take into perspective that there's already 160+ smileys in the game, you wanna times that by 4 if not more, so 640 smileys in the game with different variants, counting each variant as an Identification going up to 640
ONTOP of all that you wanna add filters making what even more Identifications
And you wanna put that into a menu that doesn't take up the entire screen if were being optimistic no we don't want it to
Its a coding nightmare seeing how these guys cant handle adding 4 ish smileys every 5 months
Unless you want a giant **** scrollbar, trying to find your smiley you want which would take awhile, along with remembering the Identification to it since people remove cookies and website data making the fav bar useless
Along with the facts there's **** blocks that do that


"Yo that's her boyfriend, I should probably back off"

< Soccer has a goalie but you can still score

Offline

#22 2017-12-08 21:31:10

Tomahawk
Member
From: BiH
Joined: 2015-02-18
Posts: 1,274

Re: Retype smileys

I like the grey basic smileys, and the Spy smiley in grey has a cool noir theme going on. For the other greys... meh. I don't think the concept is unique enough to warrant selectable greyscale versions of all smileys, so a filter would probably be the better choice.

Gold and hologram are nice but not overly innovative on their own.

...

OP should've used a [Compliments only] tag. Idk why HG wants to exclude all grounds for criticism, going so far as to suggest we imagine the ideal implementation of this feature and judge that rather than OP's actual material. Game suggestions aren't "wouldn't it be cool if..." threads; you put the work in yourself so that a dev sees it and wants to port it straight into the game with - in theory - very little effort on their end.


One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Offline

Wooted by:

#23 2017-12-08 21:36:23

LukeM
Formerly destroyer123
From: England
Joined: 2016-06-03
Posts: 1,383
Website

Re: Retype smileys

Oh I think we've misunderstood each other

Kkaay wrote:

Take into perspective that there's already 160+ smileys in the game, you wanna times that by 4 if not more, so 640 smileys in the game with different variants, counting each variant as an Identification going up to 640

By filters, I was thinking as a replacement to gold smileys, gold borders, diamond smileys, hologram smileys etc., so that would actually decrease the number of base smileys slightly (some of the gold smileys would no longer be needed)

Kkaay wrote:

And you wanna put that into a menu that doesn't take up the entire screen if were being optimistic no we don't want it to

I was thinking of a tickbox or something, like (I assume) what there currently is for gold border, and there wouldnt need to be any smileys in the menu for hologram and diamond smileys as those are only if you get holograms and diamonds (unless that would be changed)

Last edited by LukeM (2017-12-08 21:37:30)


- Luke Miles

Offline

Wooted by:

HG

#24 2017-12-08 21:44:06

Kkaay
Banned
Joined: 2017-12-08
Posts: 8

Re: Retype smileys

Holograms are energy, diamonds are 500 gems so no they should stay the same in my opinion
You want to make a tick box system just like gold membership which is stupid enough as it is to make a filter over a smiley for no reason other then "I like the color blue"
Like there's nothing to get out of having filters on smileys, sure a gold border around a smiley is nice and all, change that to neon pink and it just looks stupid


"Yo that's her boyfriend, I should probably back off"

< Soccer has a goalie but you can still score

Offline

#25 2017-12-08 21:46:24

HG
Member
From: null
Joined: 2017-08-16
Posts: 1,560

Re: Retype smileys

Kkaay wrote:

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever since you NEED the technical to even state if it would be enjoyable in the game, Why have the idea when you know from day one it wont be added, Sure you might think oh what a cool concept but if its not technically able to go into the game that's the main focus point,
Nobody cares what some old forum post says and how they did it, everyone is telling you that you NEED to address the technical issues of it, seeing how that's just a main focus point when suggesting something to the game, sure it can be enjoyable, sure we can all agree on it but that doesn't mean "Ohohoh save the technical till last"
Its honestly a joke at this point since you know its **** impossible for this idea to be considered

Oh look, nobody is going to enjoy the hologram/diamond/gold based smileys because they're hard-coded into the smileys image! The whole concept sucks only because of this image hard-code implementation!

Wow, the hologram/diamond/gold based smileys are neat! We all love them! These image filters are cool.

So the way the suggestions are added are the way to decide whether a game feature is good now. As if their implementations were going to change, in any way, the fun on using said features, even if they don't alter the game's performance at all.

Tomahawk wrote:

OP should've used a [Compliments only] tag. Idk why HG wants to exclude all grounds for criticism, going so far as to suggest we imagine the ideal implementation of this feature and judge that rather than OP's actual material. Game suggestions aren't "wouldn't it be cool if..." threads; you put the work in yourself so that a dev sees it and wants to port it straight into the game with - in theory - very little effort on their end.

I'm not trying to exclude any type of constructive criticism. I've supported details and alternatives from other players, because they actually contribute to the suggestion. However. pointing technical issues to deny a suggestion's addition into the game by any possible implementation doesn't help in any way with the suggestion. It even does the harm of making people believe that the suggestion is bad and shouldn't be added, thus considered "destructive" criticism.

I've had to deal with a lot of destructive criticism from other players regarding my world series: The Tower®, to a point that I decided to ignore any type of criticism about it because none wants to contribute, but to force me to stop the series. Which is why I haven't been able to look for improvements for my next towers. I've been able to deal with it which is why I don't talk about it on my worlds. But knowing Anatoly perfectly, he isn't capable of dealing with destructive criticism like this.

If everyone keeps telling him that his suggestions are bad because of invalid reasons that have nothing to do with the "concept" that he's trying to bring, he'll stop designing graphics for the game, because everyone considered them "bad" because outside, off-topic terms. And I'm not going to allow this criticism hurt him in any way, which is why I'm trying to defend this idea's concept. Because everyone ignores it.

If you don't like the concept at all and don't seek improvements, just leave the topic. Don't judge it by terms not related to it in any way.

Not going to be part of this conversation anymore, since I was here to talk about the concept. I can't believe that such an amazing concept had to be filled with useless destructive criticism.

Last edited by HG (2017-12-08 21:59:28)

Offline

AnatolyEE1514995911690152

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

[ Started around 1516242104.7408 - Generated in 0.291 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.6 MiB (Peak: 1.9 MiB) ]