Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-07 08:15:05, last edited by showpath (2017-09-24 10:30:32)

showpath

Optimized Client Testing

Do you think these changes should be applied to the live game?
http://www.strawpoll.me/13998041

The client is currently not up to date with the latest version of EverybodyEdits, meaning it currently won't work.

Hidden text

#2 2017-09-07 08:30:41, last edited by Guest. (2017-09-07 08:33:27)

Guest.

Re: Optimized Client Testing

There seems to be a slight delay in control. The game also fluctuates between 30 and 60 fps, which seems really weird. I think it's best to cap it at 30 for now. What did you change about the rendering specifically?

EDIT: This could just be problems on my side but it hasn't happened to me on any other client version

#3 2017-09-07 08:42:50

den3107

Ernesdo wrote:

There seems to be a slight delay in control. The game also fluctuates between 30 and 60 fps, which seems really weird. I think it's best to cap it at 30 for now. What did you change about the rendering specifically?

EDIT: This could just be problems on my side but it hasn't happened to me on any other client version

Tested it myself (I have a pretty strong pc) and I got no delay or the fps fluctuations, so I'm pretty sure it's something mostly from your side.

#4 2017-09-07 12:30:39

capasha

I get this when using /fps.

ArgumentError: Error #2025: The supplied DisplayObject must be a child of the caller.
	at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChild()
	at states::PlayState/toggleFps()
	at UI2/sendChat()
	at MethodInfo-413()

#5 2017-09-07 13:05:16

LukeM
Website

I get a solid 60fps on both, but that doesnt really give any info about anything that could have improved, so I decided to take a few cpu readings.

I took 50 readings from plugin container for firefox (flash), and then put them into an average / range caluclator to get these results:
Normal client: Average of 5.25%, IQR of 1.8%
Experimental client: Average of 4.63%, IQR of 3.7%

So basically, the experimental client has a lower average CPU usage, but a much wider spread (had spikes much higher than the normal client)

Raw data

#6 2017-09-07 17:06:51

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

still mining bitcoins in the lobby apparently :C

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2017-09-07 17:26:10

Lictor666

after somes tab switch if you go back it freezed forever //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#8 2017-09-07 17:41:58

Gosha

You can improve lobby loading time by :
1) Loading Campaigns only when you click on Campaigns Tab - "getCampaigns" message is big and it takes time to recieve & parse data
2) Rework your shop system. - "getShop" is a huuuge message. And each time you enter the lobby / buy item / spend energy you need to load it again and again.
3) don't load inbox, crew and news tab unless user clicks on it. If you get any new news or messages in inbox - you can get the amount in "getLobbyProperties". Makes it efficient. (you load your worlds only when you click "worlds" tab, this is basically the same thing)
4) rewrite "GetMySimplePlayerObject". Currently it gives you a big list of  order & ids & names  of your worlds. when you have a lot of worlds it takes some time to load them + parse them into the lobby. And most of the time you don't even click on "Mine" tab.

Suggestion:
load everything you need in front of the lobby in "getLobbyProperties"
1) bool - firstlogin
2) int - loginstreak
3) string - Username - player's name.
4) int - Gems
5) int - Energy
6) int - new messages in Inbox
7) int - new News count.

It's easier to make a ee reboot, but i am sure it won't happend in any way (reboot nor new client), so work with what you already have.

Wooted by:

#9 2017-09-07 18:16:56

peace

Gosha wrote:

4) rewrite "GetMySimplePlayerObject". Currently it gives you a big list of  order & ids & names  of your worlds. when you have a lot of worlds it takes some time to load them + parse them into the lobby. And most of the time you don't even click on "Mine" tab.

what if you click minetab and leave ee and come back?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#10 2017-09-07 18:22:05

Gosha

peace wrote:
Gosha wrote:

what if you click minetab and leave ee and come back?

It will load mine tab.

#11 2017-09-07 19:33:45

LukeM
Website

I dont think the loading time is the problem really... For me it takes a few seconds at max

The main thing that bothers me is the general unresponsiveness of it, it seems to have random lag spikes, scrolling doesnt work properly (if you scroll fast it moves at the same speed as if you scroll slow, there are gaps between the scroll bars and the content), everything freezes when clicking on the worlds tab (surely there must be ways to speed up minimap generation), the fact that it uses more CPU than the actual game (which causes it to have a terrible fps, and HUGE delays on slower computers)

I think these should be fixed before worrying about the second or two you could shave off of loading time

#12 2017-09-07 19:41:11

italkalotfromee

I can't tell the difference in fps bc regardless of what game i play my computer always gets 60 fps.. Even in big games like GTAm Ghost recon wildlands, and etc.. so..

But the game does load faster for me.

FluxBB bbcode test

#13 2017-09-07 19:42:44

Gosha

destroyer123 wrote:

For me it takes a few seconds at max

well, i created a client without all those features.
It loaded almost immediately

I recorded actions in lobby. connected to the lobby -> clicked the world.
this is a list of all messages that where in that period of time (this is not a full list becasue i can't record all connections everywhere, just lobby's)

list

Please remember. This is all just for lunching ee and clicking on the world.

#14 2017-09-07 19:50:41

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

For me it takes a few seconds at max

well, i created a client without all those features.
It loaded almost immediately

I recorded actions in lobby. connected to the lobby -> clicked the world.
this is a list of all messages that where in that period of time (this is not a full list becasue i can't record all connections everywhere, just lobby's)

list

Please remember. This is all just for lunching ee and clicking on the world.

Im not saying it shouldnt be done at some point, just that there are more urgent problems

One time delays generally arent that bad, as they only happen when you first click on EE / go back to lobby, its things that happen constantly that are a bigger problem

#15 2017-09-07 22:38:17, last edited by showpath (2017-09-07 22:45:43)

showpath

Ernesdo wrote:

I'm hoping that is your side, try closing any other programs you have running and compare both.

Gosha wrote:

1) Loading Campaigns only when you click on Campaigns Tab - "getCampaigns" message is big and it takes time to recieve & parse data
2) Rework your shop system. - "getShop" is a huuuge message. And each time you enter the lobby / buy item / spend energy you need to load it again and again.
3) don't load inbox, crew and news tab unless user clicks on it. If you get any new news or messages in inbox - you can get the amount in "getLobbyProperties". Makes it efficient. (you load your worlds only when you click "worlds" tab, this is basically the same thing)

Suggestion:
1) bool - firstlogin
2) int - loginstreak
4) int - Gems
5) int - Energy
7) int - new News count.

It's easier to make a ee reboot, but i am sure it won't happend in any way (reboot nor new client), so work with what you already have.

The true proper way is rewrite all of it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue.

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I was just hoping to improve world rendering some, due to a bug I had found in a super unique condition; there are also many other things that can be optimized, but most likely won't.
One day I'm hoping to figure out the bitcoin mining in the lobby, it has been narrowed down to objects ticking at physics tick speed I can't figure out what though :c.

#16 2017-09-07 22:43:15

Guest.

showpath wrote:
Gosha wrote:

Suggestion:
1) bool - firstlogin
2) int - loginstreak
4) int - Gems
5) int - Energy
7) int - new News count.

The true proper way is rewrite all of it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue.

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I was just hoping to improve world rendering some, due to a bug I had found in a super unique condition; there are also many other things that can be optimized, but most likely won't.
One day I'm hoping to figure out the bitcoin mining in the lobby, it has been narrowed down to objects ticking at physics tick speed I can't figure out what though :c.

i would just get rid of world minimap previews and descriptions entirely

theyre pointless, underused, and make loading times longer

#17 2017-09-07 22:50:40

showpath

Ernesdo wrote:

In my personal opinion the loading time isn't a big deal, the issue is the high CPU usage and this only changed rendering inside of worlds.

Wooted by:

#18 2017-09-07 23:37:32

Guest.

showpath wrote:
Ernesdo wrote:

In my personal opinion the loading time isn't a big deal, the issue is the high CPU usage and this only changed rendering inside of worlds.

eh it takes a long time to load for me, and i do think those could still be removed

#19 2017-09-08 04:49:18

Doodle
Formerly Hacked

What is rendering?

#20 2017-09-08 07:52:03

LukeM
Website

Doodle wrote:

What is rendering?

The graphics, so drawing blocks on the screen etc.

#21 2017-09-24 10:31:07

showpath

If you tried out the client, please take a moment to vote on the strawpoll.

Wooted by:

#22 2017-09-28 09:08:21

Gosha

Set fps in lobbystate to 10-15 instead of 120.

Little thing drops 60% usage of CPU to just 10%. And you won't see the difference (only lagging animation of background)

#23 2017-09-28 09:42:59

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

Set fps in lobbystate to 10-15 instead of 120.

Little thing drops 60% usage of CPU to just 10%. And you won't see the difference (only lagging animation of background)

I guess maybe 30fps would be better? Thats good enough to not be able to detect the low FPS, but will still use a load less CPU

#24 2017-09-28 11:02:34

Gosha

destroyer123 wrote:

I guess maybe 30fps would be better?

Max frame rate is set to 120. But real fps in lobby and in game is 60 because of flash (or my monitor idk)

10-15 is better imo because you won't see the difference anyway, but game starts working very good

(i noticed lagging only on 5 fps - had to click on buttons 2 times because mouse click wasn't recorded properly)

#25 2017-09-28 13:38:57

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

I guess maybe 30fps would be better?

Max frame rate is set to 120. But real fps in lobby and in game is 60 because of flash (or my monitor idk)

10-15 is better imo because you won't see the difference anyway, but game starts working very good

(i noticed lagging only on 5 fps - had to click on buttons 2 times because mhouse click wasn't recorded properly)

Wouldn't it be obvious when scrolling etc. though? Also, I'd guess there is an actual problem somewhere causing it to be so cpu intensive, so it would probably be better to actually fix that, maybe allowing for skipping frames temporarily so it doesn't get unusable

Gosha1506615630678600

Board footer