Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-07 22:17:43

Abelysk

Jail bug

If you get banned, you can't logout, therefore you can't browse the forum unless the ban expires or you clear your cache. Please fix and exclude logout from ban privilege.

#2 2017-07-07 22:21:17

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Re: Jail bug

Yeah that limitation is kind of silly when you can just clear your cookies in a few seconds.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#3 2017-07-08 05:09:30

Different55
Forum Admin

Intentional behavior. If bans by the warning system were IP bans that wouldn't be possible. Just because there's an easy workaround doesn't mean I'm going to just toss out the whole thing.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#4 2017-07-08 05:25:34

ParadoxInTheVoid

You could also just browse forums using incognito mode.

signature.png

#5 2017-07-09 17:54:59

Anatoly

I guess people know when they get banned (usually not), but anyway, i think Diffs right, if you get banned, why should life get easier? Diff won't make a temple design with diamonds arounf for banned members, something like "Gratulations! You've been banned, here is your reward: 5 Gems."

I think clkearing cookies is enoug, right?

#6 2017-07-09 19:24:51

Abelysk

Different55 wrote:

Intentional behavior. If bans by the warning system were IP bans that wouldn't be possible. Just because there's an easy workaround doesn't mean I'm going to just toss out the whole thing.

I think the purpose of a ban is to punish a user for doing something stupid. Thus, giving that user a time out and let them understand what they did so they can correct the mistake and learn from it next time is what should occur. But to limit browsing the forum again is silly. Just because you get banned doesn't mean you should lose viewership, but it should mean you lose your "membership" of the community temporarily.

It's like being kicked out of an outdoor party. You can't participate in it anymore but you can still watch from afar. Something like an IP ban would similarly be something like getting kicked out of an outdoor party but going to jail.

Wooted by:

#7 2017-07-09 19:33:23

Mieaz

I agree, for most of the bans (when you get banned for saying something), you should get the disability to post, but to browse (or even woot for minor bans) should still be able. Because you posted something wrong you got ban, not because you browsed something wrong ..

Forcing people into clearing cookies/incognito browsing definitely drives most of the people out of forums and then that affects EE ofc

ee & eeforums gibs me depression

Wooted by:

#8 2017-07-09 22:17:13

Different55
Forum Admin

Abelysk wrote:
Different55 wrote:

I think the purpose of a ban is to punish a user for doing something stupid. Thus, giving that user a time out and let them understand what they did so they can correct the mistake and learn from it next time is what should occur. But to limit browsing the forum again is silly. Just because you get banned doesn't mean you should lose viewership, but it should mean you lose your "membership" of the community temporarily.

It's like being kicked out of an outdoor party. You can't participate in it anymore but you can still watch from afar. Something like an IP ban would similarly be something like getting kicked out of an outdoor party but going to jail.

Restricting viewing is part of the punishment.

- ShinsukeIto

#9 2017-07-09 22:51:12

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Different55 wrote:
Abelysk wrote:
Different55 wrote:

Putting people in jail is pointless if the bars are made of cardboard.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#10 2017-07-09 23:00:43

Mieaz

Different55 wrote:

But that's just not worth for minor punishments. I realize if you ip ban someone you don't like them viewing forums. But for ordinary bans like spam or flame restricting view just screams "gtho, we don't want you here", it's supposed to correct their behavior, right? Browsing as guest is painful and it's easier for people to just leave

ee & eeforums gibs me depression

Wooted by:

#11 2017-07-09 23:37:43

Different55
Forum Admin

Mieaz wrote:
Different55 wrote:

But that's just not worth for minor punishments. I realize if you ip ban someone you don't like them viewing forums. But for ordinary bans like spam or flame restricting view just screams "gtho, we don't want you here", it's supposed to correct their behavior, right? Browsing as guest is painful and it's easier for people to just leave

It's not supposed to be pleasant, you're banned. It's not a vacation.

- ShinsukeIto

#12 2017-07-10 14:01:43

HeyNK

Yeah it kind of is. You might not know it, but it takes a lot of work to write quality posts and consiously increase the overall quality of the forum every time you open this website. So it is kind of nice to take a break once in a while when you get banned for """spam""" aka. one of the mods doesnt like you. (Not you though different. you have never banned me before. But if you do. my opinion of you might change/_)
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue:P:P:P:P //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue:P
However I also do agree that it is not pleasent if you were try to view the forum by using a hacking technique to log out or use a different browser, or just turn off cookies and history like a sane member of the 22nd ceuntry (LOL most people dont do this), because you can't tell which posts are new and you can't reply to them.

#13 2017-07-10 14:57:22

Michele
Formerly AntonioS300

What he means is that if you're banned you cannot post or create topics or anything, BUT you can still VIEW the forums. It's not fair if you cannot view the forums like you're in a jail.

Idler.jpg
XOsS4ha.gif

Wooted by:

#14 2017-07-10 16:12:38

Different55
Forum Admin

It's not supposed to be "fair" it's a punishment. Break the rules, get your access to the site revoked. If you want to keep access to the site, don't break the rules. The presence of a workaround is irrelevant besides me putting it on my "to-fix" list.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#15 2017-07-10 22:13:26

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

should fix this at least if you arent gonna allow viewing while banned https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=39674

suddenly random sig change

#16 2017-07-10 22:30:58

Different55
Forum Admin

Slabdrill wrote:

should fix this at least if you arent gonna allow viewing while banned https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=39674

Yeah probably should

- ShinsukeIto

Different551499722258667296

Board footer