Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-06 23:16:40, last edited by LukeM (2017-07-06 23:19:04)

LukeM
Website

Do you have an internal voice?

Missing a pun in this topic led me to wonder whether or not other people hear a voice in their head when they read or write.

The OP included 'these are the pie rates of the caribbean', and a couple of us seemed to completely miss it, while others acted as if it was completely obvious, and whether you have an 'internal voice' would explain this.

From a bit of research, I have found that this is called subvocalisation (although some places seem to only include speaking quietly while you read, not having a voice completely in your head), and around 85% of people do it (although there dont seem to have been too many studies about it)

Im just wondering, do you have a voice in your head when you read and / or write? If so, do you also say or mouth the words quietly as well?
I sometimes have a voice in my head when I write, and I think occasionally when I read, but not very often, but I never make an actual noise, or mouth movements.

Wooted by:

#2 2017-07-07 00:11:55

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: Do you have an internal voice?

i do have an inner voice when reading but i make no real noise and the most i can do is micro movements with my tongue that are not noticeable at all
theres this weird thing with my inner voice though that when im reading a text in english that contains numbers then my inner voice will say the words in english but the numbers in ukrainian (native language) like this:
destroyer сто двадцять три (which translates to "one hundred twenty three")
as opposed to:
destroyer one two three
or
destroyer one hundred twenty three

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2017-07-07 00:17:56

Latif

How can we hear something if there's no sound. If I just look at a word I automatically read it. And I read it by saying it in my mind. Everyone has a voice in their mind. I can't imagine not having it.

#4 2017-07-07 00:31:43

Sensei1

I do have a voice in my head always when I read something, even though I'm able to get information of a world by looking at it very quickly without "reading" it.
I can't figure out what kind of voice it is however (For example, is it a male voice or female voice?). It's kinda different from real voices, kinda as if it was just an illusion of a voice.

Wooted by:

#5 2017-07-07 01:56:37

HeyNK

I act out of pure instinct. I am also illiterate, so I can't read or write. I communicate my posts to my caregiver through exaggerated motions and gestures.

#6 2017-07-07 03:17:45

Pingohits
Banned

HeyNK wrote:

I act out of pure instinct. I am also illiterate, so I can't read or write. I communicate my posts to my caregiver through exaggerated motions and gestures.

well tell your caregiver he's an arrogant nuisance

791mAP8.png

Wooted by:

#7 2017-07-07 03:22:51

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I don't notice a voice. Perhaps it's there, but I've gotten so used to it that I don't realize it. It's kind of like how you don't notice how often you blink and swallow, how you can always see your own nose, how your body is usually itching somewhere, tinnitus if you have it, etc.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by: (2)

#8 2017-07-07 03:52:26

HeyNK

^ Reported and called the cops. You're going to jail.

#9 2017-07-07 04:55:46

soniiiety

HeyNK wrote:

faceplamx8 YOU don't have an instinct your not an animal or robot you're not programmed to do anything you have free will or free to chose etc if you know what I mean 

N1KF wrote:

I don't notice a voice. Perhaps it's there, but I've gotten so used to it that I don't realize it. It's kind of like how you don't notice how often you blink and swallow, how you can always see your own nose, how your body is usually itching somewhere, tinnitus if you have it, etc.

come on seriously you do it's just you don't pay attention or you don't know about it yet.everyone has it its impossible not to have it 1st way to test is type down or write on paper then read it and you will hear a voice in your head btw if you didn't have the voice you won't be able to read just like Henk btw the other reason why you cant hear it its because its the same voice as your own or you haven't experimented with it yet IF YOU HAVENT YOU SHOULD. make sure you try everything and also try diff things

#10 2017-07-07 08:04:46, last edited by LukeM (2017-07-07 08:05:40)

LukeM
Website

Latif wrote:

How can we hear something if there's no sound. If I just look at a word I automatically read it. And I read it by saying it in my mind. Everyone has a voice in their mind. I can't imagine not having it.

soniiiety wrote:
N1KF wrote:

come on seriously you do it's just you don't pay attention or you don't know about it yet.everyone has it its impossible not to have it 1st way to test is type down or write on paper then read it and you will hear a voice in your head btw if you didn't have the voice you won't be able to read just like Henk btw the other reason why you cant hear it its because its the same voice as your own or you haven't experimented with it yet IF YOU HAVENT YOU SHOULD. make sure you try everything and also try diff things

Well I really don't either...
I think I used to, but it's slowly gotten 'quieter' until I just understand the words by looking at them, without needing to 'say' it

In a few of the websites I read about it yesterday, it also said that everybody just thinks what they do is normal, because there is no way to know whether anyone else does without asking them, you just assume they are the same as you.
I guess the only reason you could think other people might be different would be if you change from having a voice to not, like how if you are born blind, you can't tell that others see until they tell you, but you can if you go blind later in your life.

#11 2017-07-07 10:01:18

Emma333

yes

Pm me with anything math related please

#12 2017-07-07 11:23:09

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I like puns and therefore I often spot them, even when they are not intended.

Also I have several internal voices. If I know the person's voice who wrote the text I often read it in their voice (or rather my recreation of it). For example if they write something like "yeeeee" (which they say in real life) I read it the way they'd pronounce it and in their voice. Though if I do not know the voice of the person I am talking to I either read it in my own default voice or give them a certain voice based on the way they write.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#13 2017-07-07 12:55:18

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Devlin wrote:

or give them a certain voice based on the way they write.

this probably has something to do with my inner voice SHOUTING LOUDLY WHEN I READ TEXT WRITTEN IN FULL CAPS

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (2)
TaskManager1499428518666754

Board footer