Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-12 04:54:12

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Sincerity

So often, I see cases where people mock each other with sarcasm. It's a battle of wit, to see who can be the funniest, to get the most woots, to get the most popular names in your friend list, or to get that social control to convince a moderator to ban that user you despise so much. It's not just this game—the Internet as a whole is this way. When you're a newbie at something and ask for help, you get laughed at. When you express genuine emotion, you're considered childish or cringeworthy. When you see the big picture that way, the game of sarcasm just looks bleak and pointless.

Of course, I don't think that most people here act like that. I think it's just a vocal minority. But when a vocal minority has such a loud voice, the community as a whole feels unwelcoming. I've seen many cases where the post that gets the most woots is the dry and bleak sarcastic jab. My own personal hypothesis for this is that the majority is easily persuaded on what to agree with. you're all sheeple!

There's something, quite...beuatiful~ about the raw thoughts of a person, void of any ironic or sarcastic filters. It's a breathe of fresh air, in the fast-paced world where everybody tries to outwit each other. It's simple, and easier to understand! They're better than sarcastic messages in every way, perhaps besides the comedy department. Though, even if your posts are genuine, you can still write in some fun jokes. genuine jokes may be cheesy, but there's somebody out there for every type of cheese!

You can be an optimist, or a pessimist. Just, whoever you are, please try to be genuine in what you say, as I'm sure it will improve things around here. People follow by example, so go ahead and be sincere! Let's make sincerity popular!

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2017-06-12 05:04:24

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Sincerity

Moved to Off-Topic

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 2017-06-12 05:47:32

RavaTroll

Let's be sincere : I don't like you N1KF.

obvious joke, sorry

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

#4 2017-06-12 10:37:41, last edited by Norwee (2017-06-12 14:51:19)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

That sounds pretty boring.

^My sincere feeling.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#5 2017-06-12 11:45:04

XxAtillaxX

RavaTroll wrote:

I don't think many people do.
It's fairly ironic however, as N1KF is the most in-authentic person on these forums, yet creates a topic about a lack of sincerity from others.
Nobody likes insincere people, especially those who possess the personality of an abrasive ideologue and the social charisma of cardboard.

N1KF is like a mix between Ted Cruz and Hexagon.
He'll plead annoyingly to his perceived societal values, whilst being a contrarian without any of the wit, nor any contributions past his stale personality, unlike Hexagon.
I'm not trying to be bashful either, but this is my sincerity and my honest thoughts. I hope you're pleased to hear them - it is what you're asking for, after all.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#6 2017-06-12 14:53:50

John

N1KF wrote:

So often, I see cases where people mock each other with sarcasm. It's a battle of wit, to see who can be the funniest, to get the most woots, to get the most popular names in your friend list, or to get that social control to convince a moderator to ban that user you despise so much. It's not just this game—the Internet as a whole is this way. When you're a newbie at something and ask for help, you get laughed at. When you express genuine emotion, you're considered childish or cringeworthy. When you see the big picture that way, the game of sarcasm just looks bleak and pointless.

You're joking, right?

PW?scale=2

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2017-06-12 14:54:52

Evilbunny

Make some friends in real life and you won't have to rely on us for genuine human emotions.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#8 2017-06-12 14:59:40

skullz17

This community has WAY bigger issues than sarcasm.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#9 2017-06-12 16:31:24

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Personally I only use sarcasm for comedic effect. The intent is never to harm discussion or those involved with it, it is purely for a little lightheartedness. And as someone who aims to bring laughter and happiness to everyone, even those I hate, my sarcasm is my sincerity.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#10 2017-06-12 17:51:24, last edited by Abelysk (2017-06-12 17:53:21)

Abelysk

When someone uses sarcasm it's never comedic to me. If anything all I feel is a sense of harm or threat.

Does that count as a sincere statement?

#11 2017-06-12 18:14:49

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Abelysk wrote:

When someone uses sarcasm it's never comedic to me. If anything all I feel is a sense of harm or threat.

*Person 1 makes a pun*
Person 2: Yeah that was totally 100% funny. You should keep making puns.

That is sarcasm but how is it harmful or a threat?

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#12 2017-06-12 18:59:38

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

XxAtillaxX wrote:
RavaTroll wrote:

I don't think many people do.
It's fairly ironic however, as N1KF is the most in-authentic person on these forums, yet creates a topic about a lack of sincerity from others.

I was about to ask why I was inauthentic, until I remembered of quite a few very horrible things I've done that definitely aren't authentic. I'm sorry about that. I'll look into ways to become more authentic. Aside from those obvious events, what are some of the subtler ways in which I am insincere?

N1KF is like a mix between Ted Cruz and Hexagon.
He'll plead annoyingly to his perceived societal values, whilst being a contrarian without any of the wit, nor any contributions past his stale personality, unlike Hexagon.

I've tried to be witty, but in most cases it ended up pretty badly. I still use jokes, though usually those of the subtler type (if you use ctrl+a on my original post, you can see two of them). I have yet to master the difficult art of wittiness.

It's kind of hard to get rid of a stale personality... :/

Nobody likes insincere people, especially those who possess the personality of an abrasive ideologue and the social charisma of cardboard.

I don't think anybody's at fault here for my abrasive ideologue. It's just that I happen to have oddball opinions that differ from majority belief, which naturally causes some friction when I openly express them. I would be less vocal, making topics every few weeks or months, but no matter what I do, not many people agree with most of what I say. I've had a success recently (the "cyberbullying" topic), so I still hold hope that people will adapt a more hopeful and positive point of view, in which we can sincerely talk to each other in peace.

I have to agree that my social charisma isn't good. When I first found this game, I guess I expected at least a slightly nicer community. Instead, I was often made fun of when I made my own topics (granted, a lot more silly and trivial than even the topics I post now). While I don't believe I hold grudges to any users in particular, and move on from events from the past, I have always felt some sort of a constant tension with this community in general. And even though I've been more cheerful in the last few weeks due to less people-related events happening in my life, that went unnoticed by this community. So, I guess I still do have the social charisma of cardboard.

I'm not trying to be bashful either, but this is my sincerity and my honest thoughts. I hope you're pleased to hear them - it is what you're asking for, after all.

Thanks! I find receiving criticism a bit overwhelming at times, but it's still nice to hear. I think you put this community's genuine thoughts into well-illustrated terms.

Devlin wrote:

Personally I only use sarcasm for comedic effect. The intent is never to harm discussion or those involved with it, it is purely for a little lightheartedness. And as someone who aims to bring laughter and happiness to everyone, even those I hate, my sarcasm is my sincerity.

Emalton wrote:

Nope, I'm not joking! I'm fine with that type of sarcasm. I guess I should have made clear in my first post, but sarcasm when used sparingly, and for the right purposes is tolerable. The two reasons I considered my post okay (though I did think twice about posting it) was that I used exclamation points to convey a lighthearted tone (as it's hard to express emotion on the Internet), and that I didn't completely agree with the sarcasm in what I was saying (hence it just being an aside joke as mentioned in my next post).

Evilbunny wrote:

Make some friends in real life and you won't have to rely on us for genuine human emotions.

That's a good idea.

skullz17 wrote:

This community has WAY bigger issues than sarcasm.

True, but I feel like addiction to sarcasm is an issue that has been mostly ignored. I think it's about time it has attention brought to it.

Wooted by:

#13 2017-06-12 19:14:58

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

It's cool how this was turned into an attack N1KF topic.

Discord: jawp#5123

#14 2017-06-12 19:34:31

Pingohits
Banned

MrJaWapa wrote:

iT's CoOl hOw ThIs wAs tUrNeD iNtO An AtTacK N1kF tOpiC

791mAP8.png

#15 2017-06-12 19:39:02

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

MrJaWapa wrote:

I agree! The criticism here is actually pretty helpful.

#16 2017-06-12 20:05:26, last edited by Abelysk (2017-06-12 20:06:57)

Abelysk

Devlin wrote:
Abelysk wrote:

*Person 1 makes a pun*
Person 2: Yeah that was totally 100% funny. You should keep making puns.

That is sarcasm but how is it harmful or a threat?

I never use puns. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Sometimes when I don't know something I ask a simple question. Often times when the question is straightforward people might answer with sarcasm. Bleh.

It reminds me of ThIs MeMe ThAt MoCkS everything you're doing, maybe it's just me and my crappy sensitive self...

#17 2017-06-12 20:43:00

XxAtillaxX

N1Kf wrote:

I was about to ask why I was inauthentic, until I remembered of quite a few very horrible things I've done that definitely aren't authentic. I'm sorry about that. I'll look into ways to become more authentic. Aside from those obvious events, what are some of the subtler ways in which I am insincere?

You often if not always play a character, genuine or not, which seemingly attempts to be professional, yet only to be seen as taking everything literally - including, but not limited to jokes.
When you take everything so literally your personality comes across as real as the chicken in McDonalds' Chicken McNuggets.

N1KF wrote:

I've tried to be witty, but in most cases it ended up pretty badly. I still use jokes, though usually those of the subtler type (if you use ctrl+a on my original post, you can see two of them). I have yet to master the difficult art of wittiness.

It's kind of hard to get rid of a stale personality... :/

You've made good jokes, the only downside is that you take others' jokes literally, as mentioned in above.

N1KF wrote:

I don't think anybody's at fault here for my abrasive ideologue. It's just that I happen to have oddball opinions that differ from majority belief, which naturally causes some friction when I openly express them. I would be less vocal, making topics every few weeks or months, but no matter what I do, not many people agree with most of what I say. I've had a success recently (the "cyberbullying" topic), so I still hold hope that people will adapt a more hopeful and positive point of view, in which we can sincerely talk to each other in peace.

I have to agree that my social charisma isn't good. When I first found this game, I guess I expected at least a slightly nicer community. Instead, I was often made fun of when I made my own topics (granted, a lot more silly and trivial than even the topics I post now). While I don't believe I hold grudges to any users in particular, and move on from events from the past, I have always felt some sort of a constant tension with this community in general. And even though I've been more cheerful in the last few weeks due to less people-related events happening in my life, that went unnoticed by this community. So, I guess I still do have the social charisma of cardboard.

I think you set your hopes far too high, there are very few, if any, communities that are sunshine and rainbows.
I don't really care if you express your opinions, however strict an unrealistic they may be. I think it's important to recognize few people can distance themselves from real life issues and the pain and suffering of it all.
The vast majority of people cannot be shoved into your idealized Mr. Rodgers-esque fantasy world, where everyone is respectful and courteous and takes everything as seriously as you often do.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#18 2017-06-12 21:13:55

HeyNK

N1KF wrote:

N1KF, you come across as a teenager that attends a modernist non-denominational progressive church's youth group.
That's a long winded way to say everything you write seems fake and I want to leave this evangilization session.

#19 2017-06-12 21:25:10

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

i love you n1kf

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#20 2017-06-12 23:10:33

Insanity

I find you all voraciously irresistible

these are my sincere feelings and I want to share my raw uncontained love with all of you

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#21 2017-06-12 23:25:53

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

HeyNK wrote:
N1KF wrote:

N1KF, you come across as a teenager that attends a modernist non-denominational progressive church's youth group.

Out of teenage, modernist, non-denomenational, progressive, and church youth group attender, I fall under only one of those categories https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL

#22 2017-06-12 23:26:00

soniiiety

Pingohits wrote:
MrJaWapa wrote:

iT's CoOl hOw ThIs wAs tUrNeD iNtO An AtTacK N1kF tOpiC

WAIT......... aRe YoU pUrPle ShEp?/?

CONTENT WARNING

sarcasm IS BAD PEOPLE THINK ITS GOOD FOR JOKES AND ITS FUNNY WELL ITS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE sarcasm was something bad and people use sarcasm if they are not listening to anyone and it is a threat and a harm these boys in england were being sarcasic and show me this video about sarcasm and it wasn't even funny idk how it was it was just a video about mocking the person and thats bad and then they were being sarcasm to my brother and they made him cry and so i had to block them on my ps4

Wooted by:

#23 2017-06-12 23:31:07

Kira

Dear ee community

SonyTv concluded the topic

Sincerely yours, $

Kira

#24 2017-06-13 00:25:42

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

soniiiety wrote:

sarcasm IS BAD PEOPLE THINK ITS GOOD FOR JOKES AND ITS FUNNY WELL ITS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE sarcasm was something bad and people use sarcasm if they are not listening to anyone and it is a threat and a harm these boys in england were being sarcasic and show me this video about sarcasm and it wasn't even funny idk how it was it was just a video about mocking the person and thats bad and then they were being sarcasm to my brother and they made him cry and so i had to block them on my ps4

I thin you're overreacting. People don't usually mean to threaten other people when they use sarcasm.

#25 2017-06-13 00:54:37

soniiiety

N1KF wrote:
soniiiety wrote:

I thin you're overreacting. People don't usually mean to threaten other people when they use sarcasm.

they can and they will i hate   sarcasm idk how its funny its just some people made up so they didnt have to listen to there parents etc

Mieaz1499114230666451

Board footer