Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-26 18:54:30, last edited by N1KF (2017-05-29 19:27:33)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

My thoughts on the "cyberbullying" issue (now expanded!)

To the "cyberbullied"

I've seen some users posting examples of what they deem cyberbullying.

First of all, take a moment to consider whether the other person is genuinely flaming or harassing you. If somebody owns a world, they have the right to kick you or give you code. Staying in the world or having code are priveledges, not rights. People also have the right to politely criticize your statements or creations. It's okay if you do the same to them! People trolling your world is not cyberbullying. Yeah, it's mean, but it isn't against the rules. A user can only troll your world if you give them edit. If you care, don't give them edit.

It counts as flaming when somebody (non-jokingly) insults you, say they want you injured or dead, or otherwise personally attacks you. It counts as harassment when somebody persistently targets and bugs you without respect for how you feel on the matter.

Second of all, report it. Your first reaction should not be to fuss about it. If you have a problem, message the Staff. If they still don't care, only then should you post it on the forum. But think twice—if you type a post while mad or upset, it's possible you'll just make a bigger deal out of things than you need to.

Do not flame anybody that flames you. If you do that, you're no better than the other person. You cannot change somebody's mind this way. Instead, be polite and patient. If you want the people around you to improve, be a role model instead of a hypocrite. The words of a hypocrite are meaningless. Stop being so naive—people will try to hurt you, emotionally or physically, in varying levels of subtlty. They're reguar people like you and I who have been lured down the wrong path in life. Treat them well. Maybe you will help them change, but maybe you won't. You can never be sure.

When I'm being insulted on the Internet, I've learned to take it and joke about it. Comedy always mocks something, and it can help us go through life more easily. Like 90% of people on the Internet exaggerate what they say, so don't take it personally. And if they seriously mean their insults toward you—why should you waste your mental effort caring about the opinions of a person on the Internet? If you are stressed out about how people treat you on the Internet, take a break. Find people in the External Realm of Flesh that care for you. If I made a post complaining every time I've gotten insulted in this community, my post count would be twice as high. There are more important things in life than complaining on an online forum about what petty things other people say to you.

To the "cyberbullies"

It's silly. What do you gain out of messing with others over the Internet? Like, really?

Edit: I really should have addressed this more when I first posted this!

If a world owner gives you edit, that doesn't mean it's okay to troll the world. Or if somebody gives you their login info, that doesn't mean it's okay to delete their worlds. In other words, if another user gives you or leaks their world code or login info, that doesn't give you the right to take advantage of that information. Unfortunately, I've found that the common attitude in this community is do the classic "it's your fault if you let your level code/login info get leaked" blame. The truth is that if you troll a world or leaked account, you intend harm to your victim(s), and this is obvious. No amount of finger pointing can change that.

What I think is the real problem here

The community as a whole. The amount of complaining I come across here is sometimes exhausting, especially when people bring up new drama.

The more layers of sarcasm and irony you can hide your message under, the more popular it will be. If you take blatant jabs at other users, it's also considered cool. While I thank the moderators for doing their immediate job and banning rule-breakers, I also criticize how they tend to ignore posts that attract drama and call others incompetent, for example. A few weeks ago, I saw an example of a forum moderator wooting a post that's clearly intended to be sarcastic and negative toward another user, which appears to me like they aren't taking effort to discourage that type of content.

When I isolated myself from this community for twenty days straight, it felt refreshing. I think that's because of all the negativity here I stepped away from. Your negativity will drag people down. Being positive will encorage other users to do the same. No amount of sarcasm , irony , or insults can improve things, but simply being nice and positive can.

All I ask you to do is to take a look at yourself and consider it. Years, or even decades down the road, is this the person you want to be, and is this what you want to be doing? Consider meditation or prayer. For me, it helps me calm down and look for perspective in life. I'm sure it's helped many others out there. Maybe it will do just as good, if not better, for you. Maybe it won't do anything at all. I don't know who you are reading this, but anybody here reading this can improve how they behave. Trust me; it'll be better for all of us.

Go outside. No, really. The air is fresh and smells really nice. Or slightly less nice if you live around lots of cars, but that's aside the point. You'll be in a better mood in nature than you will be complaining about something. As far as I know, no research or evience shows that complaining improves your mood. Actually, evidence supports the opposite of that idea from what I found.

Do I think this post will do any good? I don't know. My posts have a tendency to be controversial. But maybe, now that I've finally expressed my most basic thoughts of the community, I hope that this inspires at least one person to improve and become better.

#2 2017-05-26 19:12:49

Nebula

Re: My thoughts on the "cyberbullying" issue (now expanded!)

N1KF wrote:

Go outside. No, really. The air is fresh and smells really nice. Or slightly less nice if you live around lots of cars, but that's aside the point. You'll be in a better mood in nature than you will be complaining about something. As far as I know, no research or evience shows that complaining improves your mood. Actually, evidence supports the opposite of that idea from what I found.

No need to, really.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-05-26 19:16:07

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Whirl wrote:
N1KF wrote:

No need to, really.

Some people may find that they need it more than others do. Even if you don't need to go outside, it will still likely improve your well-being as that linked study shows.

#4 2017-05-26 20:14:36

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

While I agree that sometimes certain actions can be incorrectly labelled as cyberbullying, we should take care not to dismiss or downplay the effect that these actions can have on others. Something that's harmless to us may be upsetting to someone else, and the refusal to accept this can be more harmful than the act itself.

Although, people can't hate on you if you don't make a forum thread complaining about it, so as Furby said, report it and wait. Even if the action that's offending you doesn't break any rules, you might get a staff member to send a "stop it" message to whoever's responsible, as per the 'Be nice' guideline.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#5 2017-05-26 21:48:21

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Personally, I will never understand how making others feel bad about themselves is appealing. I never insult random people that I don't know. The only time I ever insult people is if I know for certain that they view my comments as a joke. I feel far better knowing that I have raised someone's self esteem than I would knowing I've lowered it. But I guess that's just how my brain works.

I'm also never a victim to such comments, even if someone tries to make me so. This is mainly because I interpret almost everything as a joke. Text on a screen only has the meaning which we assign to it, and since tone of view is not present, why not read everything as if it was setting up a punch line? Even with irl encounters I can choose not to interpret words if I do not think they have a constructive meaning towards me. Unfortunately not everyone bares my ignorance to insults which is why I think posts like yours are important as; whilst they may not change much, they do serve as a reminder and they may change the way some people go about the rest of their day.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#6 2017-05-27 14:23:45

realmaster42
Formerly marcoantonimsantos
Website

N1KF wrote:

Go outside. No, really. The air is fresh and smells really nice.

N1KF wrote:

and smells really nice.

And I tought air had no smell... CONTENT WARNINGMy life is a lie.

http://i.imgur.com/bjvgH5L.png?1

#7 2017-05-27 18:10:38

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

marcoantonimsantos wrote:
N1KF wrote:

It has smell if you believe it does!

#8 2017-05-27 22:30:18

soniiiety

N1KF wrote:
marcoantonimsantos wrote:
N1KF wrote:

It has smell if you believe it does!

actally it does it just you dont know if it does smell like if your in a car and its all  stuffy when hot air then you get out of the car you can smell frsh air and also when it rains it smells even better the water hits alll the plants and trees releaseing new air that smells like the tree plus the wind and plants and trees outside filter the air so you get that nice smell of pine or idk what it is but it does feel and smell good to breath the air outsdie in

#9 2017-05-28 15:13:24

Mieaz

cyberbullies are good people, helping cyberbullied re-think on society they live around, all that education for free

ee & eeforums gibs me depression

#10 2017-05-28 15:20:10

Gosha

soniiiety wrote:

actally it does it just you dont know if it does smell like if your in a car and its all  stuffy when hot air then you get out of the car you can smell frsh air and also when it rains it smells even better the water hits alll the plants and trees releaseing new air that smells like the tree plus the wind and plants and trees outside filter the air so you get that nice smell of pine or idk what it is but it does feel and smell good to breath the air outsdie in

if your post contains more than 10 words - i can't read it

Add some commas //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2017-05-28 20:02:01

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

soniiiety wrote:

idk what it is but it does feel and smell good to breath the air outsdie in

I agree, though seasonal allergies is sometimes a problem for me!

Mieaz wrote:

cyberbullies are good people, helping cyberbullied re-think on society they live around, all that education for free

Would you argue that real life bullies are also doing good?

#12 2017-05-28 20:15:08

Mieaz

N1KF wrote:

yes if they are like cyber ones, hurting you only verbally (textually?)

ee & eeforums gibs me depression

#13 2017-05-28 20:25:29

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Mieaz wrote:
N1KF wrote:

yes if they are like cyber ones, hurting you only verbally (textually?)

I feel like I shouldn't need to say this, but I'm pretty sure verbal bullying is bad. It encourages hatred, and a primitive "only I matter" style of living. People conform to what's convenient for them, which in most cases is the majority. Treat others how you would want them to treat you, and be an inspiration to the world! I would like for people to be nice to me, so I try to be nice to other people (over the Internet, at least).

The only case I've heard of where verbal bullying benefits the victim (which you bring up) is when the victim learns...to deal with other cyberbullying? That's weak circular logic! If you want to warn somebody about verbal bullying, you can just tell them about it.

#14 2017-05-29 17:03:16

HeyNK

tl;dr. Just turn off the computer and go outside if you're being "bullied", the air is so much fresher out there.

Wooted by:

#15 2017-05-29 17:57:02, last edited by N1KF (2017-05-29 19:28:57)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

HeyNK wrote:

tl;dr. Just turn off the computer and go outside if you're being "bullied", the air is so much fresher out there.

I thought the bold text alone would make for a good summary, but I guess even that's pretty long!

You missed a pretty important part: the community's often too negative and cynical!

Edit: I feel like my part about cyberbullies was rather lacking, so I decided to expand upon on it. What do you think?

#16 2017-05-29 21:01:09

HeyNK

I have no idea what you added.

#17 2017-05-29 21:05:01, last edited by N1KF (2017-05-30 17:22:29)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

HeyNK wrote:

I have no idea what you added.

See the second section of the first post.

#18 2017-05-30 14:42:42

skullz17

N1KF wrote:

Edit: I feel like my part about cyberbullies was rather lacking, so I decided to expand upon on it. What do you think?

The "it's your fault if you let your level code/login info get leaked" has nothing to do with morals, like you suggest. Sure, the person taking advantage of your information is in the wrong, but knowing that isn't very helpful. Sharing information like that is a mistake, and the community are aware of this. It was a combination of this mistake and the person's ill intent that caused worlds to be trolled or destroyed. It is impossible to turn everyone into nice people who would never take advantage of information like that, so the best thing to do is to teach people to make less mistakes and make better decisions. That's why the community keeps on telling others not to share information like that. It's good advice.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by: (3)

#19 2017-05-30 17:14:34

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

The "it's your fault if you let your level code/login info get leaked" has nothing to do with morals, like you suggest. Sure, the person taking advantage of your information is in the wrong, but knowing that isn't very helpful. Sharing information like that is a mistake, and the community are aware of this. It was a combination of this mistake and the person's ill intent that caused worlds to be trolled or destroyed. It is impossible to turn everyone into nice people who would never take advantage of information like that, so the best thing to do is to teach people to make less mistakes and make better decisions. That's why the community keeps on telling others not to share information like that. It's good advice.

That's a good point. However, I feel like the community could be nicer the way they address it than a blunt "it's your fault" since it doesn't mention that it's also the fault of the person taking advantage of the victim. I've stressed out over having my same account be stolen multiple times, and if somebody made a post explaining how it's my fault, I would be kind of upset. If it looks like a blame, and functions like a blame, then I'm probably going to interpret it as a blame.

#20 2017-05-30 19:51:38

skullz17

N1KF wrote:
skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

That's a good point. However, I feel like the community could be nicer the way they address it than a blunt "it's your fault" since it doesn't mention that it's also the fault of the person taking advantage of the victim. I've stressed out over having my same account be stolen multiple times, and if somebody made a post explaining how it's my fault, I would be kind of upset. If it looks like a blame, and functions like a blame, then I'm probably going to interpret it as a blame.

I don't know, I feel like I don't value niceness as much as you. If they started calling me an idiot or something, then I would be annoyed, but otherwise I'm fine. I would wait for a valid explanation for why it's my fault, and if the explanation didn't come, I would just ignore them and move on. Also I think the fault of the person taking advantage goes without saying, so I don't see the importance in mentioning it.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#21 2017-05-31 06:43:53

soniiiety

also can people get to learn my langue because i dont need commas you can have then but i wont i btw im always cyberbullied i wont say who it is else i will get banned for it hummerz5 bans me random times etc and gives me warnings even mystrion thinks its crazy hardly i here because of him and the broken system btw i axidently said sustem on discord XD i hat getting baned even builled and people not getting on with each other why cant we just acctecp who we are im bored lonly too no one wants to have fun am i the only one in this world who cares!!!? bye im leaveing ee and everthing btw if you want to be my freind ,   

etc please read this jw.org search it up look at it read spread it around im sure i will gte hate from people i know none are intrested but its means life forever and paradise and peace love and friends

Wooted by: (3)

#22 2017-06-05 16:18:05

Guest.

another problem with """"""cyberbullying"""""" especially in ee is that the """"""victims"""""" keep crawling back to start more **** and then they play the innocent card as if they did nothing wrong

#23 2017-06-05 22:58:39

Xfrogman43

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#24 2017-06-05 23:28:14

LukeM
Website

Ernesdo: You're almost as bad as them!!! The rest of us (at least I was) hoping that these sorts of discussions had died down as it had been a few days, but you posted and might wake them from their slumber again :O

On a more serious note: I don't agree that there is no such thing as cyber bullying, but I definately think a lot of what people give that name is just internet arguments where someone is trying to seem better than the other, so labels them as a bully. If you really want it to stop, then just don't reply, don't moan, just ignore it (and not just for a day or two until you get bored)

Wooted by:

#25 2017-06-08 23:23:14

Guest.

destroyer123 wrote:

Ernesdo: You're almost as bad as them!!! The rest of us (at least I was) hoping that these sorts of discussions had died down as it had been a few days, but you posted and might wake them from their slumber again :O

On a more serious note: I don't agree that there is no such thing as cyber bullying, but I definately think a lot of what people give that name is just internet arguments where someone is trying to seem better than the other, so labels them as a bully. If you really want it to stop, then just don't reply, don't moan, just ignore it (and not just for a day or two until you get bored)

the fact that your only wooter is hummerz says a lot

---

the discussion hasnt died down because you replied lol

N1KF1497108444663493

Board footer