Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-26 22:41:27

dcomet

Cloud Blocks don't create shadow

Is this intended?

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#2 2017-04-30 21:41:07

Guest.

Re: Cloud Blocks don't create shadow

if you were here for more than 5 months you'd know that is intended

#3 2017-04-30 22:25:36

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

they should though
i mean irl clouds do create shadows

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#4 2017-05-01 03:01:24

Pingohits
Banned

maxi123 wrote:

they should though

NO that is scientifically  inaccurate! You see, water droplets are made of clouds, and it is a known FACT that water does not create a shadow! Because of hydrogen bonds! You see, if all clouds created shadows, then our world would be in eternal darkness, and candles wont work

791mAP8.png

#5 2017-05-01 08:34:24, last edited by LukeM (2017-05-01 08:36:47)

LukeM
Website

Pingohits wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

they should though

NO that is scientifically  inaccurate! You see, water droplets are made of clouds, and it is a known FACT that water does not create a shadow! Because of hydrogen bonds! You see, if all clouds created shadows, then our world would be in eternal darkness, and candles wont work

Ok... Where to start...
Firstly clouds are made of water droplets, not the other way round
Secondly, clouds don't absorb (much) light, but instead scatter it randomly, which means that a lot of the light which was previously going downwards ends up being scattered upwards, therefore less passes straight through, creating a shadow
This effect can also (sort of) be seen in a glass of water lit from the side, where although most of the light passes through, some of it is focused on a small area, meaning the rest is in shadow
Thirdly, I don't study chemistry, so I'm not sure if the bond bit is correct
Lastly why do you think it goes dark when a cloud passes in front of the sun? Because it has a shadow. I think the eternal darkness thing would be correct if all water vapour blocked sunlight completely, but not if it is as I stated above.

#6 2017-05-01 08:35:52

soniiiety

That's so fake pingohits  else then there would be no shadows except under objects so no it isn't intended or it would of been in the game already

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2017-05-01 11:01:00

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Well clearly if clouds scatter light then the cloud block should do the same? It needs a slight shadow under it but not a full shadow. Whilst that is being added, can we also make the plants photosynthesise? It's like people want EE's atmosphere to be polluted by carbon dioxide generated from the toxic community... <3

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#8 2017-05-01 11:29:32

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Pingohits wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

they should though

destroyer123 wrote:

TL;DR: I took pingo's post seriously and now im gonna prove him wrong with science

soniiiety wrote:

That's so fake pingohits  else then there would be no shadows except under objects so no it isn't intended or it would of been in the game already

how to detect forum newbags 101: pingohits's method

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#9 2017-05-01 12:20:31

LukeM
Website

maxi123 wrote:
Pingohits wrote
destroyer123 wrote
soniiiety wrote

how to detect forum newbags 101: pingohits's method

A lot of people seem to have random misconceptions about some sciency things, and clouds not having shadows isnt that unlikely, compared to some other ones
I was thinking while I wrote the post 'Was that a joke?' but thought that it seemed so sort of close to the truth that it probably wasnt

#10 2017-05-01 12:59:40

Koya
Fabulous Member

Clouds are behind everything else, off in the distance; colliding with it is a matter of mechanics.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#11 2017-05-01 21:38:51

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

The lighting in this game comes from the "front" (as in, away from the background), up near the top-left corner. If clouds are solid like any other block, it would make sense for it to have shadows as it blocks out this light.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#12 2017-05-01 23:47:43

soniiiety

Why are you guys flagging me what did I do? I wasn't trying to be mean

#13 2017-06-11 00:48:00

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Koya wrote:

Clouds are behind everything else, off in the distance; colliding with it is a matter of mechanics.

This answer still bugs me. From what I understand, there's always a wall (the background) right behind the smiley. The lack of depth doesn't allow for anything "behind" the background. Also, the Fairytale cloud doesn't cast any shadows.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#14 2017-06-11 02:11:47

Evilbunny

It's so the shadow from the cloud block doesn't go over the cloud decorations that would normally be placed under it. It looked terrible before they removed it.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#15 2017-06-11 02:23:11

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Evilbunny wrote:

It's so the shadow from the cloud block doesn't go over the cloud decorations that would normally be placed under it. It looked terrible before they removed it.

Ah, I didn't know about that. I'm not sure how hard this is to do, but a solution to the problem would be to give the cloud decorations the shadows, and make the cloud block only have a shadow when there isn't a decoration below it.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#16 2017-06-11 02:42:52

Guest.

N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

Ah, I didn't know about that. I'm not sure how hard this is to do, but a solution to the problem would be to give the cloud decorations the shadows, and make the cloud block only have a shadow when there isn't a decoration below it.

yeah well the devs arent miracle workers

#17 2017-06-11 04:12:35

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Ernesdo wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

yeah well the devs arent miracle workers

Well, they could still take a month or two out of UnitEE's development to give us clouds with shadows!

Everybody Edits is Fred

#18 2017-06-11 09:35:55, last edited by LukeM (2017-06-11 09:38:14)

LukeM
Website

If you had the 'sky' as a BG, wouldn't it not make sense for clouds to cast shadows on the sky? I can't think of any situation (other than using cloud blocks as something other than clouds) where it would make more sense to have clouds with shadows...

#19 2017-06-11 12:22:30

Mieaz

N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

Actually it is like that with other blocks, but not with clouds (idk why) jbhBvm9.png

He gave you some disinformation, I think clouds before had shadow like any other block and it looked nice. I mean, they aren't actual clouds, they are just blocks that look like clouds, right?

ee & eeforums gibs me depression

Wooted by: (2)

#20 2017-06-11 22:09:23

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

destroyer123 wrote:

If you had the 'sky' as a BG, wouldn't it not make sense for clouds to cast shadows on the sky? I can't think of any situation (other than using cloud blocks as something other than clouds) where it would make more sense to have clouds with shadows...

Having a "sky" background comes with some issues. How does the game tell the difference between a wall and the sky? It can't, unless there's some way to remove a block's shadows (which makes things more complex than they need to be). The game has always functionally acted as if there's a wall right behind the smiley, and I think it's most convenient to keep it that way.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#21 2017-06-11 22:50:27

LukeM
Website

N1KF wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

Having a "sky" background comes with some issues. How does the game tell the difference between a wall and the sky? It can't, unless there's some way to remove a block's shadows (which makes things more complex than they need to be). The game has always functionally acted as if there's a wall right behind the smiley, and I think it's most convenient to keep it that way.

I just meant that usually you want whatever is behind the cloud block to look like the sky (because thats where clouds are), so clouds shouldnt cast shadows on what is behind them, as they wouldnt cast shadows on the sky irl

I do see the argument for having every block act the same, but im just saying it makes sense for there to not be a shadow in this specific case

LukeM1497217827663658

Board footer